Eclectic Thread- October/November 2009 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 10-21-2009, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Our old thread was gettting too long, so it's time for a new one! I'm guessing we'll need another new thread by December, if we keep chatting away!

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#2 of 65 Old 10-21-2009, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Ruth for starting. I'm starting to fear I don't fit with the eclectic hat much any more as we are more and more classical in our approach, but at least for MDC, it's the place where I fit in best, so I hope you all don't mind me crashing.

We have been making our way through things. I started the year off so well with routine (and more self-discipline; when I'm on top of my game, everything goes better). Then, the boys all took turns being sick, I had a cold twice, and then all things fell apart. So, I'm slowly working on getting back into a more pro-active and productive groove around here.

I switched ds#1 to Classical Writing: Primer. I was excited to see it as I have been debating what to do with him for writing after the new year. I am still deciding between Institute for Excellence in Writing and Classical Writing: Aesop. But, the CW Primer is very nice (I like it better than Writing With Ease, and I'm slowly switching ds#2 to it - he does the Nature Study pages and Picture Study pages, and I pull a very short piece from the copywork for him, but he's too young for all the copywork and the grammar lessons).

And I'm super excited for science! We are doing physics - simple machines. I have a little activity guide from the teacher's supply store and some books, but the best part are the simple machine kits I bought from Lego Education! The boys don't know about them yet; they are hidden in the top of my closet. I want to do some background activities and reading, and then only pull one kit out each week as we learn about that particular simple machine. We love all things Lego, so I have a feeling these will be a hit!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#3 of 65 Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 PM

I think eclectic is the 'safest' label for us We're pretty relaxed, but I do own The Well Trained Mind . I have a loose routine to suggest activities and "educational" things that the girls usually want to do, but if not we skip it. Our dds are 4 1/2 and 18 mo.

I read some of the other eclectic thread and lots of the resources sound neat. DH is from Mexico and we're bilingual. I'm always looking for more resources in Spanish and we'd like to add some Portuguese too. I have some Spanish computer games and lots of Usborne and other random books in Spanish. I used to speak Portuguese as an exchange student in Brazil, but it's been awhile. So we're watching some youtube to help us all get into it. I would really like to get Rosetta Stone for the girls and DH, but I keep telling myself that I could help them alot for free!

:::
#4 of 65 Old 10-21-2009, 10:01 PM

MLW ~ I'm sure we will all agree that we love having you here on the eclectic thread!

I worry a lot of times, also, because I think I am more CM than anything else. But we use other methods as well, so I still come here.

I just ordered the WeDo Robotics homeschooling kit from LEGO Education! My kiddos don't know I ordered it, but I am super excited about it. My son is a huge LEGO fan. In fact the only toys my son owns are LEGOs and Nerf guns. Literally. And he only plays with the Nerf guns when his older cousin is visiting. So he literally only plays with LEGOs as far as toys go. So I'm sure he will be jumping for joy when he sees that I am actually incorporating LEGO and robotics into our studies.

It's on my to do list to order a writing (as in composition) curriculum. I was looking at Writing With Ease and Classical Writing Primer. This would be for CherryPie (age almost 11). I haven't decided which one I want yet, though. MLW, would you mind comparing the two and letting me know what the pros/cons of each program are in your opinion?

For KiwiBoy (8 years old) I have First Language Lessons, but was actually thinking about using one of the above mentioned programs as I've read that they are better, but I haven't read as to why they are better.

Also, I'd really like to start adding copywork/dictation/narration into our school day. What do you all think about copywork for a child that is not yet comfortable with writing? My son has been a slow starter with reading and so I've been putting off starting his writing program. We have Handwriting Without Tears (first grade level) and I was hoping to start it in about 2 weeks. Should I wait until he's gone through the whole Handwriting Without Tears level and learns how to form every letter before I even begin with the copywork?

And how about grammar/writing/composition? Should I wait until he's fairly proficient with reading before I start talking about nouns, verbs, etc. with him?

Other than me having all these questions with writing, we are doing pretty well with our schooling. I am starting to get more of a "feel" for what my kids like and what they don't.

KiwiBoy is starting to act like he doesn't like Math or he pretends like he doesn't know how to do the work. I'm sure it's just because he doesn't like writing / doing the worksheets. So I am really trying to incorporate more living math into our days. With CherryPie it seems easier to do this because I am able to find more things for her current studies. However, right now with KiwiBoy, I am trying to "teach" him about place value and I'm having a hard time finding things that would be a good representation of it without using so many worksheets. We came up with one idea, but I'm looking for more.

Also, I checked out some great (story) books from the library that I hope will help with our living math and I plan on diving into those this evening!

How is everyone else doing?

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#5 of 65 Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 PM

subbing
#6 of 65 Old 10-22-2009, 12:46 AM

Awww, MP, thanks. And, Ooo ... we plan on doing the WeDo Robotics after Christmas. (We might buy them for Christmas.) You'll have to post about your experience with them.

As for writing, I think Classical Writer Primer would probably be too basic/easy for your daughter. It's a good fit for ds#1 at 8 (the copywork, to me, is still a little long, so I usually either shorten it a bit or draw it out over 2 days). The grammar is just enough (things like making words plural, or changing a verb to past tense, etc.). I like having a given story for narration (the Autumn Primer uses Aesop's Fables; it gives some vocabulary to discuss first too). If you like the look of Classical Writing, you might look into Classical Writing - Aesop. I'm pretty sure we will proceed to that after the new year with ds#1. It's not as intensive as their later programs, but I've heard it's a good one to go with for a more formal writing program. Here's a sample of the Aesop level.

As for Writing With Ease, I only have the hardbacked book which gives the overview of years 1-4. It is a very good program, somewhat similar to CW:Primer. And, I think if I had bought the workbooks for WWE, I probably would not have searched out something different (though I wasn't planning on getting something at the Primer level for ds#1; I was just already thinking of what I wanted to buy in the future and stumbled upon it). The workbooks are more complete and have a narration exercises and copywork exercises already done. I have been making up my own sentences given the "writing element" parameters in the hardback book (for instance, it will say "work on proper nouns in the middle of sentences for 2 weeks, days of the week for 2 weeks, etc.). So, their copywork sentences would be something like "My birthday is in September." And, when I introduced it, we would talk about why September is capitalized and maybe a little about the month itself. Here's the WWE year 1 workbook on Amazon; you can look at the samples inside to get a feel for it. I would think WWE year 1 would probably be good for your 8 year old son. Before we started Classical Writing (just last week), ds#1 (8) was only in year 2 of WWE. The sentences are shorter in the first year (I think beginning at 6-7 words and going up to about 10 words or so), and the narration selections are shorter too. One complaint I have read about the WWE narration exercises is it's only an excerpt from a book, but you never get to hear the whole story. With Classical Writing Primer, you are reading short Fables, so you get the whole story in one sitting.

How well is KiwiBoy reading right now? With ds#1, we started copywork when he was starting to read most short-vowel words (with blends too). He had made it through the first grade HWOT book and was working in year 3 (we did a bit of year 2, but then he really wanted to learn cursive and I needed something to ignite a desire to write so I went with it!). With ds#2, we started when he started year 1 HWOT (but he had gone through the K book already so he could form all his letters in both lower and upper case). He wasn't reading very well yet (just c-v-c words and beginning to work on blends). But, he's done pretty well with it. We also started both boys in year 1 of First Language Lessons, though I do skip some because they get a little redundant. I would think once he can form all his letters, you could start copywork. The year 1 HWOT book has some copywork built in as they learn more letters, so you could just use that as your "copywork" until the book is done and then start something more formal like WWE or Classical Writing: Primer. For grammar, I'd do FLL now, but keep it all oral (that is how we do it anyway, even with the boys writing).

Place value ... that's a hard one. The only non-worksheet/math book way I have ever taught it is with the concept of "houses" - the 1's house, the 10's house and the 100's house and how only the numbers 1-9 can live in the house together and once anymore join, they have to form a group of 10 to move into the next house. (It's works a bit better with actual houses drawn on paper and manipulatives. ). Oh, one other way was with money - how if you have 9 pennies and add one more, then you can trade that up for a dime. (We skipped nickles and quarters and stuck with pennies, dimes, and dollar bills. That one helped a lot with ds#1.)

Ok, I think I'm all out of ideas now! I need to round mine up and read to them before bed (they all got "done" with the Dodger's game, who just lost, and went into my room to watch PBS Sprout on demand).

#7 of 65 Old 10-22-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Place value ... that's a hard one. The only non-worksheet/math book way I have ever taught it is with the concept of "houses" - the 1's house, the 10's house and the 100's house and how only the numbers 1-9 can live in the house together and once anymore join, they have to form a group of 10 to move into the next house. (It's works a bit better with actual houses drawn on paper and manipulatives. ). Oh, one other way was with money - how if you have 9 pennies and add one more, then you can trade that up for a dime. (We skipped nickles and quarters and stuck with pennies, dimes, and dollar bills. That one helped a lot with ds#1.)
Steal the MUS approach... "decimal street" hehe. We actually made4 a decimal street poster last year and it was a good visual reference for the kiddo. The units have their little green house that has 9 beds.. the Tens have their tall townhouse that has 9 blue beds, and next door is the 100's castle with nine big red beds

Eclectic fits us as well So I'll crash here!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#8 of 65 Old 10-22-2009, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangopassion View Post

KiwiBoy is starting to act like he doesn't like Math or he pretends like he doesn't know how to do the work. I'm sure it's just because he doesn't like writing / doing the worksheets. So I am really trying to incorporate more living math into our days. With CherryPie it seems easier to do this because I am able to find more things for her current studies. However, right now with KiwiBoy, I am trying to "teach" him about place value and I'm having a hard time finding things that would be a good representation of it without using so many worksheets. We came up with one idea, but I'm looking for more.
Have you thought about the Montessori golden bead/wooden cube materials? You have the units, ten bar, hundred flat, and thousand cube. We are not quite to place value with my dd, but I plan on buying a set of the wooden cubes for later on. We have stamps that go with it, too. You can find Montessori "albums" online and just use the math presentations that go along with the "golden bead" materials. That's my plan for place value anyways, even though we're not using Montessori materials for anything else (although I might get the grammar manipulatives for myself as I learn a foreign language, lol). I really like Montessori, but I'm intimidated by it a bit.

We're on a break right now. We've been going steady 4-5 days a week since July 1, and we all agreed that taking a week off wasn't going to hurt anything. Today we re-evaluated our homeschool and decided to make a few changes, notably moving foreign languages to twice a week versus daily and moving math into the evenings, so that our mornings aren't so scrunched. She also wants to go back to starting by playing her recorder. She says she wants to do Greek, heehee (my diabolical plan is working!), but we talked about how we're committed to doing ASL/Spanish for this year (already have the materials and have filled out red tape for the charter) and can switch next year if she wants to. She says she wants to learn Chinese, too So her alternative to switching to Greek was to do more written/reading Spanish and Sign (her idea). Fine on the Sign, I'm looking at a great cd-rom program for making printables, but for Spanish....I don't want to confuse her, she's just on the cusp of reading English. So we'll see. Maybe we'll just get a Spanish picture dictionary and that will satisfy her.

My charter resource consultant thinks we'd benefit a lot from Rosetta Stone for Spanish, but....it's so expensive....I know our whole family can use it for years....but it's so expensive...and then if we switch languages? IDK

In general, she's really happy with everything that's going on. I'm using this week as an experiment in self-regulation/unschooling (I know, you can't just do it for a week, but everybody starts somewhere), and so far she's watching mind-numbing amounts of tv, but we're having some wonderful discussions and she's come to some great conclusions (her word!) about Peter Pan and Pixie dust. And we spend ridiculous amounts of times with read-alouds.

I want to go more classical.....bad. I want "The Latin-Centered Education"....bad. But for now, we're pretty busy with mastering the formation of uppercase letters, reading, and moving forward in math, so that's what we're going to stick with, while making a concerted effort to consciously include art and music daily (even just 5-15 minutes at a time).

Also, she just did her belt-testing for karate and moved up to yellow-and-white! And I'm proud to say that even though she's the "lowest belt" in the class, she was the most focused and calm during the testing, and I could tell that her teacher really appreciated it. After we got in the car, she said she didn't care what color the belts were, she's just happy to be learning karate, and she wants to do it her whole life (no pressure from me, I'd be happy to quit for a while bcoz it's a huge strain on our one-car family). So I'm way proud and happy with my awesome kid , and she's taking a well-deserved week off from formal studies.

I'm happy to see another eclectic thread, I was wondering where everybody went!

Happy and in love with my family!
#9 of 65 Old 10-22-2009, 10:32 AM

Hi ladies,

I think I fit here. Is it normal to feel so crazy your first year homeschooling? I'm constantly worried I'm forgetting something? Please tell me time mellows you out! Anyway, I have my LA and math all worked out and going well, but now I feel all over the place with other subjects. I think we are going to do a 5 in a row book next week. I'm thinking if I row a book every other week that might be good. The first week pretty much following the manual then the second week to finish up any places it may have led us....... I love the unit studies approach, but I'm having a hard time making it all come together the way I want.....
#10 of 65 Old 10-22-2009, 11:21 AM

subbing!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#11 of 65 Old 10-22-2009, 11:46 AM

I'm glad to see the place value suggestions for when dd is ready for that! I think the first year can be hard or at least it can take some time to get things set up in a way that works for you. Getting used to being a mom with the first child was way harder for me than adding the second since I had already figured out a lot by that time

#12 of 65 Old 10-22-2009, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Thanks Ruth for starting. I'm starting to fear I don't fit with the eclectic hat much any more as we are more and more classical in our approach, but at least for MDC, it's the place where I fit in best, so I hope you all don't mind me crashing.
Personally, I'm not sure whether to call our style of homeschooling Eclectic or ADHD Neo-Classical!

We use Ambleside and WTM as a basic framework, but definitely don't follow either method particularly diligently.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#13 of 65 Old 10-22-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post

I want to go more classical.....bad. I want "The Latin-Centered Education"....bad. But for now, we're pretty busy with mastering the formation of uppercase letters, reading, and moving forward in math, so that's what we're going to stick with, while making a concerted effort to consciously include art and music daily (even just 5-15 minutes at a time).

Also, she just did her belt-testing for karate and moved up to yellow-and-white! And I'm proud to say that even though she's the "lowest belt" in the class, she was the most focused and calm during the testing, and I could tell that her teacher really appreciated it. After we got in the car, she said she didn't care what color the belts were, she's just happy to be learning karate, and she wants to do it her whole life (no pressure from me, I'd be happy to quit for a while bcoz it's a huge strain on our one-car family). So I'm way proud and happy with my awesome kid , and she's taking a well-deserved week off from formal studies.

I'm happy to see another eclectic thread, I was wondering where everybody went!
I've been wanting to buy the Latin Centered Curriculum book; I don't know what is holding me back as I tend to not blink when it comes to buying books, though I am trying to stick to a more WTM approach right now without changing things up any more.

And, congratulations to your dd!!! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post
Personally, I'm not sure whether to call our style of homeschooling Eclectic or ADHD Neo-Classical!

We use Ambleside and WTM as a basic framework, but definitely don't follow either method particularly diligently.
That sounds sooooo familiar!!!

#14 of 65 Old 10-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Oooh, maybe I can get some advice here. This is what I'm feeling for our homeschool experience this year: Charlotte Mason for nature walk and journal as well as literature/copywork; Waldorf for Main Lesson, social studies, science and art; Miquon/Montessori/Noble Knights of Knowledge for math; ideas from Montessori on the whole help me to do it myself and involvement in chores. Does this sound ludicrous? Do you think this would be too confusing and overwhelming for my kids? My son turned six in September and attended preschool last year and a public Montessori for six weeks this year. I spoke to a lady at Christopherus today and she sounded like it would be detrimental if I did the above plan. Also she said he'd be "firmly in kindergarten" this year but he's beyond that academically and I don't want him to be bored or forget what he's already learned. I was thinking I'd start the 1st grade curriculum with him, although that would go against everything held dear in Waldorf.
#15 of 65 Old 10-22-2009, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, it's perfectly normal to feel crazy your first year homeschooling, or any year homeschooling for that matter! Your kids change, their needs change, and you go and doubt yourself all over again. Or, like me, you switch around which of your kids are at home and which ones are at school, and you feel like you're starting from scratch. (Yes, I know what works for DD2, and it worked so well that she's now thriving in a conventional school. But DS is a different kid with a different learning style and anyway he's younger than DD2 was when I started HSing her.) But, all in all, parenting him is challenging whether he's in school or not, and now I don't have to deal with school officials or his frustration with school requirements. It's definitely better this way.

Today we went to a Health Food Store that I haven't been to in a while- of the two close ones, one doesn't have a bulk food section and the other doesn't accept food stamps. So I figured it's worth it to schlepp out there once a month or so to stock up on our "bulk food items." Then when we got there, I started talking about the town it was located in (right at the edge of a very walkable Main Street) so we decided to walk down Main Street and see the town before we went shopping. It was a very pleasant day.

Oh and whoever asked curriculum questions: I think it's perfectly appropriate to talk about grammar even if your child doesn't yet have strong grasp of reading or writing- I assume they already have a strong grasp of spoken language and are already using grammar, even though they don't realize it?

As for reading/writing Spanish- both English and Spanish use the same alphabet, so I don't think it would be confusing to learn to read and write both languages simultaneously. If anything, the Spanish reading will be easier since there are fewer "random spellings and pronunciations" than in English. I mean, think about how these words are spelled and pronounced: A cow used a bow and arrow. He wanted to read the book about reeds but he read the red book instead. From what I've seen of Spanish (and French, and Hebrew) the spelling is a lot more phonetic.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#16 of 65 Old 10-22-2009, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveaidan&finley View Post
Oooh, maybe I can get some advice here. This is what I'm feeling for our homeschool experience this year: Charlotte Mason for nature walk and journal as well as literature/copywork; Waldorf for Main Lesson, social studies, science and art; Miquon/Montessori/Noble Knights of Knowledge for math; ideas from Montessori on the whole help me to do it myself and involvement in chores. Does this sound ludicrous? Do you think this would be too confusing and overwhelming for my kids? My son turned six in September and attended preschool last year and a public Montessori for six weeks this year. I spoke to a lady at Christopherus today and she sounded like it would be detrimental if I did the above plan. Also she said he'd be "firmly in kindergarten" this year but he's beyond that academically and I don't want him to be bored or forget what he's already learned. I was thinking I'd start the 1st grade curriculum with him, although that would go against everything held dear in Waldorf.
I don't see it as being confusing to the kids, as long as your expectations are clear. Especially at a young age, they don't really know or care what method(s) you're using, or that the Waldorfians consider their progression to be, literally, gospel and therefore unalterable.

Personally, I feel like I get into overwhelming territory when I try to use multiple incompatible curriculums for the same subject (which I have tried to do, as obviously a stupid idea as it may be!).

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#17 of 65 Old 10-22-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I think that sounds like a fine plan, very well-rounded.

People who sell curriculum REALLY believe that their way is the best way....so we have to take their advice with a grain of salt and decide what's best for our own unique children's needs.

My dd would be Waldorf K age, but we're doing a very relaxed 1st. I have gotten a little flack for my 6yo being in 1st on Waldorf group lists, but I don't care. She'd be bored silly doing K over again, and I believe it would be detrimental to her to stop working on her reading skills until next year (although maybe I'm wrong and she'd just start picking it up on her own more). That's why we're eclectic, and not purists of any one method!

My newest eclectic curriculum wants: New Child Montessori (the whole year package), Christopherus overview, Latin-Centered Curriculum. I think we'd use the NCM and Christopherus right away, but the LCC would be more for looking forward to 2nd grade.

But before we invest in any new pricey "extra" materials, I'm going to order a bunch of the Waldorf early readers from the Bob and Nancy bookstore site (as well as a form drawing book and the "Teaching Children Handwriting" book. DD is getting a little bored with basic phonics (although she's still challenged by long vowels and consonant blends), and I think that if I presented her an early reader as a very special gift (wrapped with bow and card, etc.), she would really treasure it and feel very proud about reading independently on her own time. Plus, the readers would probably carry us through into 2nd, so it's a good investment.

I'm just waiting for our charter to recycle some of our money back to us before ordering---if I get all the Lang. Arts stuff I want from Bob and Nancy, it'll be about $150 or more (their books are kind of expensive).....so I can't just pay that out of pocket right now.

I have to say, I love our eclectic hs thread! This is definitely where I feel most at home on MDC.

#18 of 65 Old 10-22-2009, 05:56 PM

What is the Latin Centered Curriculum like? Is is similar to the WTM? I'll have to see if our library has it.

#19 of 65 Old 10-23-2009, 12:56 AM

MLW ~ Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to write about Classical Writing and WWE for me. I'm definitely going to look into the Aesop volume of CW for CherryPie. I was just thinking that I would begin with Primer with her because she doesn't retain information very well and that if I started at the beginning with her to sort of recap then it might be better. I'll do some more research, though.

You know, it's somewhat hard to explain how well KiwiBoy is reading right now. He'll pick up words that I don't "teach" him. Then he won't remember words that I have tried to teach him. But I think he is starting to decode words because of the work we are doing with All About Spelling. For instance, he'll be looking at his Diary of a Wimpy Kid book and say, "I know how to spell Yahoo! Y-A-H-O-O." And he'll do this with several words that we've never taught him. So it's really hard to say how well he's reading.

Also, thank you MLW and Ruthla, for your advice about grammar/FLL. I think I will begin with FLL orally with KiwiBoy. We'll see how that goes!

Thank you to everyone who gave me ideas about teaching place values. I LOVE the house idea and "decimal street". I will definitely be putting those to use! I spent most of today perusing the internet for online place value games and ended up blogging about it here. I'm looking forward to having KiwiBoy testing out the games in the next week or so. I'm also going to try to come up with a poster of sorts for "decimal street" and the houses.

craft media hero ~ we do have a set of base ten blocks and we really like them, but it doesn't seem like he's really grasping the idea of place with those. KWIM? They do come in handy for a lot of other math concepts, though! And that's so great about your daughter! She sounds like a very optimistic kind of kid with such a great attitude toward things! How old is she?

I tried to have a talk with CherryPie today about how she's so pessimistic lately. KiwiBoy will be looking at the bright side of something and she'll squash it. KiwiBoy is super-sensitive like me in being overly empathetic and letting someone else's mood dictate his mood. So sometimes I'll try to stop it before it happens, but it can be difficult and sometimes a little heart-breaking.

meetoo ~ time definitely helps mellow you out... However, I'm one of those people that is constantly researching something so I'm not sure if I'm ever really mellow. I've considered FIAR and unit studies so many times and for some reason, I'm always putting them aside. Maybe someday I will try them out.

iloveaidan&finley ~ I think the different curricula that you have planned sounds fine. It probably won't be too much if you break it up during the week (or even throughout the month). I don't believe in "grades" (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.) when it comes to homeschooling. To me, that's like trying to segregate kids by age, and one of the reasons for us homeschooling is to avoid that. My son is all over the map when it comes to his "grade level" and different subjects.

Latin Centered Curriculum -- hmmmm... yet another thing for me to research the heck out of!

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#20 of 65 Old 10-23-2009, 01:35 AM

Hi! New here and hs'ing K. I'm "classical" with math and reading/writing at this age, and mostly (but not totally) unschooling science, etc. Like, my kid is way into rocketships, satellites, etc right now, so we just watched Apollo 13 together yesterday and I pushed pause every several minutes to explain to him the answers to all the questions he had about what was going on. And I spent a couple of hours today answering his questions about stuff like "Why does air catch on fire when something moves through the atmosphere really fast?" and "How do things stay in orbit?".
#21 of 65 Old 10-23-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
I spoke to a lady at Christopherus today and she sounded like it would be detrimental if I did the above plan. Also she said he'd be "firmly in kindergarten" this year but he's beyond that academically and I don't want him to be bored or forget what he's already learned. I was thinking I'd start the 1st grade curriculum with him, although that would go against everything held dear in Waldorf.
Of course she said that... she wanted you to buy HER curriculum lock, stock & barrel, so to speak! Waldorf also is big into delayed academics, so if you're planning on putting him in 1st when they recommend K I don't think you'll find a great deal of support there. Thank goodness you have the handy dandy Eclectic thread for the support end of things hehehe

We were totally non educational today Except in that there were other homeschoolers around.. it was our groups excursion to Movie World HUGE day, but big fun for the kids. Mama now needs a cup of coffee... with some baileys in it lol

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#22 of 65 Old 10-23-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
Of course she said that... she wanted you to buy HER curriculum lock, stock & barrel, so to speak!
That's so true!

Quote:
Waldorf also is big into delayed academics, so if you're planning on putting him in 1st when they recommend K I don't think you'll find a great deal of support there. Thank goodness you have the handy dandy Eclectic thread for the support end of things hehehe

Quote:
Mama now needs a cup of coffee... with some baileys in it lol
Mmmmm.... that sounds yummy!

#23 of 65 Old 10-23-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
As for reading/writing Spanish- both English and Spanish use the same alphabet, so I don't think it would be confusing to learn to read and write both languages simultaneously. If anything, the Spanish reading will be easier since there are fewer "random spellings and pronunciations" than in English. I mean, think about how these words are spelled and pronounced: A cow used a bow and arrow. He wanted to read the book about reeds but he read the red book instead. From what I've seen of Spanish (and French, and Hebrew) the spelling is a lot more phonetic.
Thanks for this insight, Ruth! One thing that I like about Spanish is how there's only one pronunciation for each vowel. I can't let my hesitation hold her back; the girl wants to read Spanish! So maybe I'll invest in a picture dictionary and we'll just check out some bilingual early readers from the library to start off. I want to get this for ASL printables, and maybe I could just write the Spanish words in with a marker? I think part of our problem with foreign languages right now is that we don't have a program laid out, and I'm not fluent in either, so I have to look everything up.

#24 of 65 Old 10-23-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
craft media hero ~ we do have a set of base ten blocks and we really like them, but it doesn't seem like he's really grasping the idea of place with those. KWIM? They do come in handy for a lot of other math concepts, though! And that's so great about your daughter! She sounds like a very optimistic kind of kid with such a great attitude toward things! How old is she?

I tried to have a talk with CherryPie today about how she's so pessimistic lately. KiwiBoy will be looking at the bright side of something and she'll squash it. KiwiBoy is super-sensitive like me in being overly empathetic and letting someone else's mood dictate his mood. So sometimes I'll try to stop it before it happens, but it can be difficult and sometimes a little heart-breaking.
Yes, it's been great to see her growing in this new sense of optimism. It's new, though! LOL, she's actually been in a "melancholic" stage for the last season or so where any suggestions are immediately met with negativity, even the mildest form of correction is taken as a personal insult, transitions from one activity to the next are a nightmare!

I think that part of her coming out of this is just that she's maturing a bit and is becoming more objective, noticing things from the "outside"; honestly my DP and I have "joked" about how this year (she turned 6 in August) is her first puberty, what with all her sensitivity and door-slamming .

I'm just trying to be really supportive and not get in her way as she develops into this next stage, lol! If you subscribe to the idea of "temperaments", apparently children shift through many of them before settling into their main temperament around 10yo? Anybody correct me if I'm wrong; I'm definitely not a Waldorf expert by any means.

So maybe CherryPie is going through a stage, and there's light at the end of the tunnel? I've found that "indulging" Violet in her dark moods seems to help her digest and get it out of her system; for instance she'll fixate on death or the environment or animal abuse, whatever, and I'll just go into it with her, really acknowledging her feelings and talking about it in depth until she feels satisfied and changes the conversation. *shrug* good luck, tho they sure can be challenging!

#25 of 65 Old 10-23-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Latin Centered Curriculum -- hmmmm... yet another thing for me to research the heck out of!
This is me too

#26 of 65 Old 10-24-2009, 11:20 AM

Hi, All!

Thanks for the new thread, Ruthla!

I have an exciting story to report! The other night my family was driving down a beach we'd never been to before. I was getting pretty anxious because our van is clearly not an off-road vehicle. Suddenly DS (4 in Dec) says in a loud voice "That sign says NO!!" I look up and sure enough the sign says "No overnight camping"!! He can read the word no!! Woo-Hoo! I've no idea what other words he can read. He refuses to read out loud, but I see his little mouth moving when I read out loud to him. I don't know if he just has the books memorized, or what. A coupla months ago he was "reading" a book to his baby sister. He ran his finger slowly over the letters r-a-t and carefully pronounced m-ou-se! Too cute!

So our latest HS project, thanks to Papa, is metal detecting. Sounds silly, right? But they have fun -- outside. It's way over DS's head, but he just loves digging up buried treasure. Heck, he just loves digging. He has a jar in his room with bottle caps and pull tabs and crusty coins. I'm not sure which of them is having more fun. And we count the coins, talk about their values, sort them, etc. We talk about stewardship and such. Papa's into the history, geography, geology, research, etc which I feel is a good model for DS of learning just because you want to.

And now the baby stories! She got her sixth tooth, is waving and saying "Hi!" and yesterday she said "Buh!" for Bye! Everyday she pulls out her books and looks at each page. DS didn't do that without me till he was 2. She wants to walk. One of these days!

Hope this finds everyone well,
-rockport-

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#27 of 65 Old 10-24-2009, 12:23 PM

Rockportmama - isn't it exciting to see the wheels in their minds turning and learning so much?! I especially love the reading to his younger sister.

Ds#3 is getting there too. A couple times a week, he will watch a Leap Frog video during at least a portion of school time with his older brothers (some days, he loves to be at the table with us doing things - coloring, cutting, playing with the abacus, etc. but some days, it is easier for us all when he wants to watch a dvd). So, yesterday he was holding the scotch tape and said, "Mommy, does tape start with a tapping T?" (The T in the Letter Factory tap dances from what I can remember.) I was, "Well, yes, it does!" and feeling all warm and mushing inside. : Then, last night he was standing by our dog, Tucker and said, "Mommy, does tapping T make Tucker?" Ahh ... he's starting to get it all. Together, during "school time", we have only worked on A, B, and C and their sounds. So, for him to internalize the T and apply it twice in one day was so cool!

#28 of 65 Old 10-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Dd is starting to make progress with letters too, it's so fun! We have a phonics computer game that she really takes off with, running through the house saying that such and such starts with t etc. It's so exciting

#29 of 65 Old 10-24-2009, 01:58 PM

Hello all We are homeschooling my Kindy son with the (financial) help of a public charter school. We do have to meet with someone from the school once a month to turn in samples & show what he has learned. I was going way overboard the 1st 2 months to make sure we had enough to turn in. Now that I have a better idea of what I need to turn in we (or maybe I am) are in a bit of a deschooling phase I guess. We have been very relaxed & unschoolish the last couple weeks. It is really nice, though I am starting to worry again that we won't have enough to turn in.

I look forward to the support from a group like this. This is where we belong.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#30 of 65 Old 10-24-2009, 03:54 PM

That's cool that you get financial help to homeschool! Do they give you books or money? (If that's not too nosy )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page