Best Homeschooling Message Board? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 10-24-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Loving reading the discussions in here, but I want more!!

Any recs on a good homeschooling board? We're secular if that helps.

Thanks!
#2 of 44 Old 10-24-2009, 07:11 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Sorry, can't help you more--so far, this IS the best homeschooling board. I also post on a local one through yahoo groups--you might want to search that for a group near you.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 44 Old 10-24-2009, 09:08 PM

I haven't been on it in a few years, but I always liked the Well Trained Mind one the best. But it's not for everyone: it depends on how you roll. Even though there are a range of HSers who use it, and not everyone is all that strict Classical, I'm not sure it would be the best place to find lots of support if you're unschooling. It was always really active and everyone was really nice, though.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#4 of 44 Old 10-24-2009, 09:20 PM

Cafe' Mom has some fairly active boards too.

You might also consider seeking out boards based on your particular approach to homeschooling or curriculum you might be using.

-Christina S.
#5 of 44 Old 10-24-2009, 09:21 PM

not sure about "best"....but i know that cafe mom and babycenter both have homeschooling forums that are ok.
also, most curriculums also have their own boards....for example, sonlight.com has tons of great forums for sonlight users, five in a row has some, etc.
#6 of 44 Old 10-24-2009, 10:17 PM

this is the best board by far imho. it's really active & a fabulous resource. i've learned SOOO much from the mama's here!!!

ETA - yes, there are lots of great boards and yahoo groups as well, but i agree that they are more specific to age or curriculum

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#7 of 44 Old 10-24-2009, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, Ds is only 2.5 and I am a research hound! I want to read/hear it all (well almost all!)

But we are Waldorf/Enki leaning with a hint of unschooling and I want to learn from (if not actually do) Charlotte Mason, Montessori, and would like to learn about Classical Ed. too. I pretty much want to learn all sides of the theories so I know better what I do and don't like and why!
#8 of 44 Old 10-24-2009, 11:03 PM

I can't imagine anything better than this one - at least I've never seen one - I think this is pretty unique, in that the whole Mothering philosophy tends to weave through. - Lillian
#9 of 44 Old 10-24-2009, 11:07 PM

I truly think this is the best board for schooling.
However, I do like the homeschool lounge and Well Trained Mind

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#10 of 44 Old 10-24-2009, 11:27 PM

The Well Trained Mind one is my favorite.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#11 of 44 Old 10-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post
I truly think this is the best board for schooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post
I can't imagine anything better than this one - at least I've never seen one - I think this is pretty unique, in that the whole Mothering philosophy tends to weave through. - Lillian
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
this is the best board by far imho. it's really active & a fabulous resource. i've learned SOOO much from the mama's here!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAK View Post
Sorry, can't help you more--so far, this IS the best homeschooling board.
Aww... this just made my day. I mean, I know it's all of you who have made this board so awesome and not the mods and admin here, but I've been modding it for a long time and it really feels like my mod home.... and I've always felt really impressed with the way people come together here and support each other...

Anyway, it just made me really happy to read this. ::sniff:: Thanks for posting it, and for making this board such a great place!

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#12 of 44 Old 10-25-2009, 11:57 AM

ITA that this one is the best . LOVE hearing all sorts of different opinions, and the different approaches people use.

#13 of 44 Old 10-25-2009, 12:01 PM

This one is the BEST !!! Best info, most honest, most sharing, different views, realistic, good discussion.
#14 of 44 Old 10-25-2009, 12:21 PM

I like this one the best of all ! Here there is a wide variety of experience, perspectives, approaches....but I do not feel the sense of division here that I often find in other communities. Here there is support for religious/secular, unschooling/school-at-home/in-between, rigorous/relaxed, liberal/conservative/moderate, evolution/creation, etc etc etc. Every type of thing that I have seen stir up trouble, conflicts, division, and sometimes even nasty debates, insulting flames, or people actually getting kicked out in some other homeschool boards...it just doesn't happen here. Here, I feel like we all coexist ! This is the only place that is not specifically for a particular group of homeschoolers where I feel I can come ask for resources on xyz and not worry about stirring up controversy with my question. This is the only place that feels totally inclusive to me.

If there are other places that feel this inclusive as well, I would like to know about them ! But MDC is definitely my favorite.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#15 of 44 Old 10-25-2009, 01:11 PM

You all make this board great! I love it here, too and am always learning something.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#16 of 44 Old 10-25-2009, 03:20 PM

I was going to say this one, but everyone beat me to it!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#17 of 44 Old 10-25-2009, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am new to this site but have been looking around for homeschooing forums and find this one to be the best so far.

I also belong to a group that is local which is great for planning field trips and meeting homeschoolers in my area.

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.
#18 of 44 Old 10-25-2009, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks everyone! I guess I'll be happy I've been an active MDC member since long before I was even a parent! My homeschooling forum was just here waiting for me all along!
#19 of 44 Old 10-25-2009, 06:12 PM

I had others bookmarked, but this is the best one I've found.

I love that it isn't all about curriculum. I also love that I can post a variety of parenting questions all within the same site.

I still check in at the homeschool library once awhile, but I check in here at least once a day.

http://www.thehomeschoollibrary.com/forum/index.php
#20 of 44 Old 10-25-2009, 06:27 PM

I love this board. I am on several yahoo groups for my local area. I also moderate a parent forum on Time4Learning. You can join the parent forums without signing up for their program.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#21 of 44 Old 10-25-2009, 10:39 PM

Well, I too love this board. It probably is, indeed, the best.

But if you want some more variety (and variety is good!), I'd suggest the "Secular HS" yahoogroup. Maybe "SecularCM" if you're interested in Charlotte Mason stuff. Yahoogroups has lots of very specific groups for various curricula as well... I'm on a yahoogroup for RightStart Math homeschoolers, for instance.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#22 of 44 Old 10-26-2009, 12:02 AM

I love this board. I feel so comfortable posting a question about whatever is on my mind, and have learned SO much from the reading I have done here.
#23 of 44 Old 10-26-2009, 01:09 AM

Wow, had no idea thier was a Homeschool Forum over here, found you all via The Homeschool Lounge!

Some favorites would be
Homeschool Post
Homeschool Library
Homeschool Lounge

The Homeschool Lounge has a very active forum but it is also very different since it is a social network much like Facebook but for homeschoolers. They have many groups and forums for specific curriculums or hobbies. It is a bit large, so it can get overwheling if you are used to a basic forum.

I look forward to getting to know everyone!
#24 of 44 Old 10-26-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmomto5 View Post
Wow, had no idea thier was a Homeschool Forum over here, found you all via The Homeschool Lounge!

Some favorites would be
Homeschool Post
Homeschool Library
Homeschool Lounge

The Homeschool Lounge has a very active forum but it is also very different since it is a social network much like Facebook but for homeschoolers. They have many groups and forums for specific curriculums or hobbies. It is a bit large, so it can get overwheling if you are used to a basic forum.

I look forward to getting to know everyone!
Has the Homeschool Lounge changed the terms for membership? When I last looked at them, they didn't allow men, "contra-scriptural" posts ("contra-scriptural" according to whom?), and any posts critical of the member's husband or children. I am female, and I don't know that I'd post anything that broke the rules, but the restrictions keep me from wanting to join. I'd rather belong to a site that treats their members a bit more respectfully.
#25 of 44 Old 10-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Banned

I really haven't found anything I liike other than right here and a couple of local yahoo groups. I used to like one forum (Veggie Source if I remember correctly) until they started blocking anyone with yahoo or other web-based emails.
#26 of 44 Old 10-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldamomma View Post
Has the Homeschool Lounge changed the terms for membership? When I last looked at them, they didn't allow men, "contra-scriptural" posts ("contra-scriptural" according to whom?), and any posts critical of the member's husband or children. I am female, and I don't know that I'd post anything that broke the rules, but the restrictions keep me from wanting to join. I'd rather belong to a site that treats their members a bit more respectfully.
As a secular homeschooler, there is no way I would post at Homeschool Lounge or Homeschool Post.
Homeschool Library, while still having a mostly religious base, have been more welcoming. They just aren't very active other than mostly "chatty" non-homeschooling stuff.
#27 of 44 Old 10-26-2009, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow, well, I respect everyone's right to their own personal belief system, truly. But that would not come anywhere close to working for this household. But why would they not allow men to post? That one's lost on me!
#28 of 44 Old 10-26-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
Wow, well, I respect everyone's right to their own personal belief system, truly. But that would not come anywhere close to working for this household. But why would they not allow men to post? That one's lost on me!
I think men are restricted from joining because it might threaten the marriages of the members? The explanation of the other bans was to avoid threatening members' faith (hence the ban on contra-scriptural posts), and to avoid "tearing down one's home" by criticizing one's husband and children. Personally, the homeschoolers I know aren't so fragile that they need that kind of protection.
#29 of 44 Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
I have no idea... I'm sorry.
#30 of 44 Old 10-27-2009, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
The site is exclusive to homeschool moms. Do men post on this forum, the site is called "mothering"

Funny but I just joined and I am not finding this forum to be very welcoming. I did not mean to step on any ones toes by listing the forums I listed. Just trying to help.

A hello or welcome would have been nice along with the replies to my post.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page