Homeschooling "fads"-- what sucked you in? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 04:57 PM
 
tankgirl73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 2,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For Moving Beyond the Page? www.movingbeyondthepage.com

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
tankgirl73 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-29-2009, 05:36 PM
 
elizawill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: right here
Posts: 5,262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgianforti View Post
I ordered one as well to try...5-7 Environment Concept. So far my dd likes it
we did the 5-7 level with my dd as well, and overall i really loved the way it was laid out.

the only thing i disliked about MBTP (beside the price) was the author said the 5-7 level was geared toward 1st grade & would be a perfect fit for my dd since she was *not* gifted. therefore, i bought the entire level last year, but i had to constantly supplement to make it at her level (my dd was newly 7 and in grade 1).

my little girl is not gifted, so i found it annoying that this program for gifted kids wasn't challenging enough. they have since changed their marketing strategy i see & don't focus on the curriculum as being for gifted kids...so, that's good. i think i just bought the wrong level though (i should have purchased the 6-8). i ended up selling it all. if it weren't so expensive, i would have probably tried out another level. i still love the idea of MBTP & may try again if money falls from the sky.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

elizawill is offline  
Old 10-29-2009, 05:41 PM
 
hotmamacita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 6,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did not get sucked into any fads, religious or popular curricula . Sadly, that made me suspect to some home schoolers.
hotmamacita is offline  
Old 10-29-2009, 06:34 PM
 
frugalmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,146
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
Saxon Math. Utter disaster.
Just curious - what grade Saxon are you discussing? Because in the lower grades yes utter disaster, but in the higher grades with a little tweaking I loved it {I was home schooled myself}

We use MCP until 4th grade or so, then Saxon.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
frugalmama is online now  
Old 10-29-2009, 06:41 PM
 
water's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
the only thing i disliked about MBTP (beside the price) was the author said the 5-7 level was geared toward 1st grade & would be a perfect fit for my dd since she was *not* gifted. therefore, i bought the entire level last year, but i had to constantly supplement to make it at her level (my dd was newly 7 and in grade 1).

my little girl is not gifted, so i found it annoying that this program for gifted kids wasn't challenging enough.
Yep, same. I bought a 7-9 unit for my non-gifted 6yo Ds and it was WAYYYY below his level, and seriousy below my gifted 4yo's level. I felt their marketing was way off base.

"MY best interest?...How can YOU say what MY best interest is?...When I went to YOUR schools, I went to YOUR churches, I went to YOUR institutional learning facilities."-ST
water is offline  
Old 10-29-2009, 08:03 PM
 
kgianforti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
we did the 5-7 level with my dd as well, and overall i really loved the way it was laid out.

the only thing i disliked about MBTP (beside the price) was the author said the 5-7 level was geared toward 1st grade & would be a perfect fit for my dd since she was *not* gifted. therefore, i bought the entire level last year, but i had to constantly supplement to make it at her level (my dd was newly 7 and in grade 1).
That was actually one thing that confused me about MBTP - their suggested age ranges for selecting a curriculum. When I chose the 5-7, I based it on her cognitive age, not her chronological age. They don't specifically tell you that, they just have it to assume that a gifted 5 year old is cognitively like a 6 year old. I think their marketing is a bit off too in that respect.
kgianforti is offline  
Old 10-29-2009, 08:35 PM
 
tankgirl73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 2,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
Just curious - what grade Saxon are you discussing? Because in the lower grades yes utter disaster, but in the higher grades with a little tweaking I loved it {I was home schooled myself}
It was Saxon 5/4, I believe when DS would have been in grade 3... late grade 3... He was gifted in math and had previously finished grade 3-level math work. However, he believes he is stupid in math. I was hopeful that Saxon (the first formal, 'real' math curriculum we used) would spur him on. He was definitely capable of doing the material.

But he hated it. Just absolutely hated it. And I was still in a... well... in a certain place mentally about homeschooling and about his giftedness and his issues and my expectations... and I didn't handle it well.

Suffice it to say, if I had had Saxon math, that particular level, when I was that age, whether in school or at home, I would have LOVED it. But it did not suit my son's learning style, which, as I was still coming to grips with, is not anything at all like my own.

After taking time off math completely, we had much better success with Teaching Textbooks (he did grade 6 when he "would have been" in grade 4, though apparently TT runs lower than average for grade level), at which point we caught some holes needing remediation, so we've been doing RightStart level E (which is considered grade 4/5, we're almost finished now) as well as Life of Fred Fractions. And we've started ALEKS math which he loves, we signed up for grade 6 (he would be grade 6 in school now) and his initial assessment had him at 30% mastered for the year.

So we've kind of been 'stuck' at the grade 4-6 math level for the past 4 years, but he needed that time... it's like he leaped ahead to a certain point, but couldn't get beyond that point until his brain matured a bit more.

Anyway, I won't say anything negative about Saxon in general. It's just right for many kids (as I said, I would have loved it). I've become a RightStart convert and will probably use that with DD, and wish I'd known about it from the get-go with DS. He also probably would have loved that "Knights of Knowledge" thing, which I only just learned about REALLY recently.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
tankgirl73 is offline  
Old 10-29-2009, 09:11 PM
 
Hedgehog Mtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOL we are totally in love with classical education AND Saxon Math.

DS is in 4th, DD is in 2nd and DS2 is in K. They all appear to be doing excellently using these systems.

I think what this thread really does an awesome job of showing is exactly how much home schooling can benefit each child by fitting perfectly to that child (once we adults figure out which one works best LOL)

Sara
Hedgehog Mtn is offline  
Old 10-29-2009, 09:38 PM
 
tankgirl73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 2,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog Mtn View Post
I think what this thread really does an awesome job of showing is exactly how much home schooling can benefit each child by fitting perfectly to that child (once we adults figure out which one works best LOL)
:


Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
tankgirl73 is offline  
Old 10-30-2009, 03:15 PM
 
coleslaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: finding my way
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is such a helpful thread!! I have found new things to look into and reasons why to stay away from others. My big thing is getting swayed by other's ways of doing things. My daughter isn't the workbook kids, yet I keep thinking CE is the right way to go because others have had such success. I am learning, learning, learning!! Hopefully I'll have it down soon because we are going crazy and there is a 3yo moving his way up the ladder. Thanks for a great thread!
coleslaw is offline  
Old 10-30-2009, 03:25 PM
 
mommy13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LOVE CM and FIAR!!
I was really shocked with lapbooks! I thought I would love them and I bought stuff so we could do one with everybook! LOL!!!! I hated it and we have not done any. So we have lots of file folders and braded pocket folders and paper.
mommy13 is offline  
Old 10-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Lost in a good book (in San Diego)
Posts: 4,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
Ditto! I always find it so funny that lots of people homeschool because they think that public schools are too formal and strict in what they teach (too much "drill and kill"), and lots of other people homeschool because they think public schools aren't the least bit formal and strict in what they teach (more drilling, please!)! LOL I'm in the later camp, too, but I can definitely see where all sides come from.
This is funny, because this is right where I can see us going with HSing. DD is only 2.5 right now, but I'm a high school teacher and I HATE how the kids ALL have to follow the same lock-step curriculum... and yet I think if you just let a kid follow their passion freely, they will get really hardcore about it. It's a funky balancing act I'm thinking about... well, we'll see how it goes!
St. Margaret is offline  
Old 10-30-2009, 03:54 PM
 
yippityskippity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
My daughter isn't the workbook kids, yet I keep thinking CE is the right way to go because others have had such success.
FWIW, classical education (at least "Well Trained Mind" style) gives suggestions for what subjects and when, but that doesn't mean you have to use workbooks to teach. I'm using some WTM suggestions with my highly kinesthetic, workbook phobic daughter.
yippityskippity is offline  
Old 10-30-2009, 04:08 PM
 
lach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 1,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
This is funny, because this is right where I can see us going with HSing. DD is only 2.5 right now, but I'm a high school teacher and I HATE how the kids ALL have to follow the same lock-step curriculum... and yet I think if you just let a kid follow their passion freely, they will get really hardcore about it. It's a funky balancing act I'm thinking about... well, we'll see how it goes!
See, I'm personally great with a lock-step curriculum. I just wish the one offered in most public schools was better! Deeper, more comprehensive, more challenging. Less fluff work and touchy feeling stuff... less "learning how to learn" and more, well, "learning." I'm a big fan of the Core Knowledge Foundation reform stuff. Since that's not going to happen anytime soon, I'm just going to have to do it myself with my own kids.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
lach is offline  
Old 10-30-2009, 04:31 PM
 
jessicaSAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Lost in the Woods
Posts: 1,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not really a fad, but I totally got sucked in by Waldorf in the preschool years - all the beautiful wooden toys and seasonal crafts and not pushing academics in the preschool years. But, by the time I got to second grade I was looking at the Waldorf curriculum thinking, "where's the beef?" There was no history, no grammar, no science, no geography. It just wasn't going to work for us at all!

Luckily, there are lots of other Waldorfers out there who were happy to buy all our stuff, and we are happily structured, more classical homeschoolers now. But, it was a hard break-up. I really wanted to love and believe in Waldorf, but I just couldn't get past Anthroposophy. I don't think I will ever fall completely for a particular method again.

Btw, we love FIAR!
jessicaSAR is offline  
Old 10-30-2009, 04:55 PM
 
craft_media_hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: I'm diggin for fire!
Posts: 1,851
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We tried FIAR for weeks before I finally admitted to myself that I felt like it was a time-sucking drag. We read and enjoy plenty of great literature and stories, and it just felt really artificial to pick the stories apart like that....like licking all the cream out of the Oreo.

But I'm really happy for everyone else who uses it and enjoys it

We are happily using the much-touted Miquon/Singapore combo and love love love it wouldn't change that for the world---for the first couple months it felt awkward using two programs, but now we have settled into using the various workbooks on different days, and I think it's great. Very low pressure because if the material gets a little rough in one book, we just switch to the other for a while.

I definitely feel myself being magnetically drawn toward the classical method. But that will be maybe for next year. Right now, I'm really happy with what we're doing and don't feel any need to change it.

Happy and in love with my family!
craft_media_hero is offline  
Old 10-30-2009, 08:13 PM
 
mommytoavery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nothing is working for us right now. DD turned 3 at the end of August so I am not too worried. I got the BFIAR but haven't tried it yet. I have some Kumon books but she just doesn't have the attention span to do them right now. I did get the Comprehensive Curriculum of Basic Skills book and she loves that because the worksheets take only seconds to complete. I just bought a book called Early Childhood Themes Through the Year and really like it so far. We have only done the Halloween unit and I definitely didn't use everything. I am hoping it will work for us or the BFIAR. I tried the free Letter of the Week curriculum that is online but it felt like I was drilling her. It might be more appropriate in a year or two.
mommytoavery is offline  
Old 11-03-2009, 03:01 PM
 
racheleuphoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 193
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a fun thread! I'm a new homeschooler (just a year in with a young K child), but I may be a curriculum junkie. The thing I love is that if you buy it used you can resale it for the same price, so I see no problem. I currently own the Waldorf-inspired (or modern-day Waldorf, IMO) Enki curriculum for K and grade 1... and my DD's 5th birthday is Friday...

Blogger/Quilter + Homeschooling Mama to Aria (9) and Liam (7)
StitchedinColor.com

racheleuphoria is offline  
Old 11-03-2009, 03:37 PM
 
JessicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 42,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh...I just got a MBTP. We have only done one lesson so far.

We are using CE.

Not all those who wander are lost 
JessicaS is offline  
Old 11-03-2009, 06:22 PM
 
prairiebird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 122
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy13 View Post
LOVE CM and FIAR!!
I was really shocked with lapbooks! I thought I would love them and I bought stuff so we could do one with everybook! LOL!!!! I hated it and we have not done any. So we have lots of file folders and braded pocket folders and paper.
Same here! I really thought this would go over well for them, but it was a mutually agreed on failure.

Also, I was planning to use less workbooks/textbook style books, and it seems so far, my two oldest really enjoy them. It was kind of a whut? moment for me! My son explained it once though: in school, he'd have a workbook/textbook that had really fun (in his opinion) suggestions and ideas in the margins and in the chapter endings. He really wanted to do them, but the class would pretty much read chapter-test-move on. Now he can explore the topic as deep as he wants.

nature and art loving homeschooling mom to a half-dozen little treasures.
prairiebird is offline  
Old 11-04-2009, 12:24 AM
 
momtomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i got sucked into feeling like we needed to pick one philosophy, and stick with it. i thought that we were going to be Classical all the way, i thought i would love it, and i thought that i was sooooo anti workbook. well DD loves workbooks, and we have really found that singapor math is rockin her world with the text book/work book system. we are liking Classical history, but for the most part, we are pick and chooseres.
momtomine is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off