Homeschooling "fads"-- what sucked you in? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 51 Old 10-28-2009, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, this is kind of tongue and cheek, but I was wondering what homeschooling fads sucked you in.

I'm thinking of two:
Workboxes, which worked out well for us
and
Moving Beyond the Page, which really underwhelmed me

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 51 Old 10-28-2009, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought a bunch of Kumon math books before I decided that there were much better ways of covering the material than dull repetition. I do like their dot to dot books for the young kids.

I want to incorporate the idea of Nature Study, but in practise we haven't been able to do it with any regularity.
#3 of 51 Old 10-28-2009, 04:51 PM

Hey, I got sucked into Moving beyond the page too! Talk about serious underwhelm...here's another boring worksheet to cut and paste.

"MY best interest?...How can YOU say what MY best interest is?...When I went to YOUR schools, I went to YOUR churches, I went to YOUR institutional learning facilities."-ST
#4 of 51 Old 10-28-2009, 04:55 PM

Lap books. I tried to like them but I just can't
#5 of 51 Old 10-28-2009, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
Hey, I got sucked into Moving beyond the page too! Talk about serious underwhelm...here's another boring worksheet to cut and paste.
I'm glad I'm not the only one! I thought they'd involve some super special divergent thinking, but the only one who had to think outside the box was me, as I tried to piece together information from 3 different places in the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splendid View Post
Lap books. I tried to like them but I just can't
I like the occasional lap book. It's like the occasional glass of wine in contrast to my usual Long Island Iced Tea.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#6 of 51 Old 10-28-2009, 05:47 PM

I got sucked into being the overzealous curriculum junkie and ordered curriculum too far in advance. Not going to make that mistake again.

And a note on Moving Beyond the Page, we are using the 5-7 Environment Concept and it's not underwhelming for us and dd likes to cut and paste but then again, she's not even 3.5! She likes the mix of reading and the cut and paste stuff.
#7 of 51 Old 10-28-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgianforti View Post
I got sucked into being the overzealous curriculum junkie
:

I also got sucked into the kumon books which Actually i kinda like for those days when i feel like we didn't 'learn' anything.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#8 of 51 Old 10-28-2009, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
another overzealous junkie here - DD starts K this coming Fall and I have material for 2nd grade already.

I just don't get lap books - they simply don't make sense to me.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#9 of 51 Old 10-28-2009, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
They look nice in portfolios. That's all I've got.

#10 of 51 Old 10-28-2009, 08:04 PM

I guess it's not really a fad... but 'curriculum in a box'.. we ended up swapping out half of it thru the year as those portions just didn't work for us. One size does not fit all

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#11 of 51 Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 PM

i wouldn't call it a fad, but i've definitely been sucked into methods and or/curricula. i'll read how everybody just looooooves "this" or "that"....so of course i'll go out and buy it...only to waste our money and our time.

the bottom line is, i know my kids. i know what works for them. i know what they love...yet, i have obnoxiously tried several times to read them books and "teach" them things that resembled me forcing a large square into a small hole. i can't say i'll never bow to temptation again, but man, i've come a looooong way! i've pretty much discovered if it's not incredibly popular, then it will probably work well for my family, lol.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#12 of 51 Old 10-28-2009, 10:29 PM

FIAR. Every review I read raved and went on and on about how wonderful it was, and that they loved it and we...just didn't. I know so many people who swear by it, but it just didn't do it for me. I wasn't crazy about some of the books, afa the teachers guide/ideas...they underwhelmed me too. I still feel a twinge of guilt saying that though, because I really respect what the authors are trying to do and I love their purpose.
#13 of 51 Old 10-28-2009, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I hear you on the FIAR - I didn't think much of it either.

Same goes for Montessori methods - might work well for some kids but not mine.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#14 of 51 Old 10-28-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
I guess it's not really a fad... but 'curriculum in a box'.. we ended up swapping out half of it thru the year as those portions just didn't work for us. One size does not fit all
So us... I learned to concentrate on method for each child not necessarily the most respected/fabulous curriculum.

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#15 of 51 Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM

Five in a row was not for us. Classical education wasn't either.

I like Moving Beyond the Page though, and we do a system where DD can choose the activities and order of activities for the day which looks a lot like some workbox systems I've seen. It doesn't sound like it in practice though when people describe using a workbox system.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#16 of 51 Old 10-29-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesMom View Post
Five in a row was not for us. Classical education wasn't either.
yes! i'm so glad i'm not alone!

i like MBTP, FIAR, workboxes ...whatever. they have all been easily adapted to suit my needs & i simply take what i like ad leave the rest (although MBTP i'll never buy again...it's insane in price). however, classical education...no matter how i try....we just don't really like it. it's something we kind of survive instead of enjoy. even the infamous SOTW is kinda a flop here

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#17 of 51 Old 10-29-2009, 11:03 AM

Methodologies have sucked me in.

To be specific, discussions with both USers and those who are quite school - at - homey have caused me to question our path and decisions - and not always in a usefull way. Sometimes I allow ideology to overrule my own beliefs or common sense. This, of course, has nothing to do with the ideologies in question - but my own occasional insecurities.

It is becoming increasingly rare, thankfully.
#18 of 51 Old 10-29-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
another overzealous junkie here - DD starts K this coming Fall and I have material for 2nd grade already.

Yes! Exactly! I agree with both of those statements!
#19 of 51 Old 10-29-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
Methodologies have sucked me in.
I'm glad to read this because I still don't see the point of following one. We just do what is best for our household and if it "falls" into a methodology, then it's coincidence.
#20 of 51 Old 10-29-2009, 12:10 PM

We are really enjoying nature study. I'm very glad I was exposed to that.

I really wanted to like Miquon math. The philosophy behind that made sense to me, but it wasn't a good fit. We are enjoying Making Math Meaningful more.

I tried FIAR and it didn't fit well. It felt false for us.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#21 of 51 Old 10-29-2009, 12:25 PM

I don't think we have done anything fadish yet......I'm trying very hard to avoid any type of label. I just pick stuff I think A) the kids will like, and B) I will actually feel like doing

We are loving Five in a ROW . I do think that its because it gives me the freedom to add my own ideas though. I might not like it so much if I was following it right by the book.....

Oh and the classical stuff looks like my worst nightmare of school.
#22 of 51 Old 10-29-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetoo View Post
I don't think we have done anything fadish yet......I'm trying very hard to avoid any type of label. I just pick stuff I think A) the kids will like, and B) I will actually feel like doing

We are loving Five in a ROW . I do think that its because it gives me the freedom to add my own ideas though. I might not like it so much if I was following it right by the book.....

Oh and the classical stuff looks like my worst nightmare of school.
see to me, CE is everything i did NOT get in school and would have looooved .. i always felt school was too intrested in non-acidemic stuff adn didn't dare challange anyone. Our school pushed creative and exploring, and never jsut sat down and got to the hard core stuff.

that is the cool thing about HS -- so many options

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#23 of 51 Old 10-29-2009, 01:27 PM

FIAR was great for inspiration, but I could never follow it as a curriculum. I like the ideas for expanding on the story, but I just ad lib here and there rather than making a method of it. We love the stories we've read so far, and I've found all sorts of great ideas in the book. But we are not following it as a curriculum at all.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#24 of 51 Old 10-29-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
see to me, CE is everything i did NOT get in school and would have looooved .. i always felt school was too intrested in non-acidemic stuff adn didn't dare challange anyone. Our school pushed creative and exploring, and never jsut sat down and got to the hard core stuff.

that is the cool thing about HS -- so many options
Ditto! I always find it so funny that lots of people homeschool because they think that public schools are too formal and strict in what they teach (too much "drill and kill"), and lots of other people homeschool because they think public schools aren't the least bit formal and strict in what they teach (more drilling, please!)! LOL I'm in the later camp, too, but I can definitely see where all sides come from.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#25 of 51 Old 10-29-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
si always felt school was too intrested in non-acidemic stuff adn didn't dare challange anyone.
I'm all for challenging kids.

just not in a classical way
#26 of 51 Old 10-29-2009, 01:59 PM

homeschooling itself.

It works great for most of my children but dd1 was not one of them.

You don’t owe them an explanation, just a response.
#27 of 51 Old 10-29-2009, 02:04 PM

Saxon Math. Utter disaster.

Curious about all the MBTP hate here... I've just recently ordered one (only one) study from them, looking forward to working through it. We'll see if we're underwhelmed or not. So, that's one fad we're sucked into, for better or worse.

Charlotte Mason. Sucked right in. And all the gladder for it.

Workboxes. Well, our version of it anyway, which has no boxes whatsoever. Worked great for us for a time, got some routines in place for DS, now we're moving on to our next fad.

Waldorf. The next fad. Not competely 'pure' Waldorf, but adding some Waldorfy elements to our days and some resources from Christopherus.

Montessori. Works great with DD.

Currclick. Fantastic, so glad we found it.

Classical education... latin studies... I love love love it, DS, not so much. Still hoping to do some Latin in the future.

Life of Fred. Fantastic.

Lapbooking. I used to roll my eyes just like others in this thread. Until I tried it this year with DS. He loves them. So much so that he even wants to make up some on his own, on his own favourite 'fun' topics (eg: electric guitar). It just depends on your kid's learning style, he needs the hands-on experience for retention and enjoyment.

Intellego unit studies. Affordable and massive.

I'm sure there's more...

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#28 of 51 Old 10-29-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post

Curious about all the MBTP hate here... I've just recently ordered one (only one) study from them, looking forward to working through it. We'll see if we're underwhelmed or not. So, that's one fad we're sucked into, for better or worse.
Which one did you get? I ordered one as well to try...5-7 Environment Concept. So far my dd likes it - she does like cut and paste stuff. I'm also adding my own extras. Like they have you read about 7 different habitats in 2 days, I'm expanding it. We've been reading 1-2 a day. I made a poster board with all the habitats listed and we are going to make one animal from each habitat (the book you read gives you project ideas). MBTP has you make one animal from your favorite habitat.

DD wants the Pattern Concept. I'm thinking about getting it...MBTP is expensive!
#29 of 51 Old 10-29-2009, 02:58 PM

We got the Literature Unit for Little House in the Big Woods from 8-10. Not the whole "Interdependence" concept around it. I'm intrigued by the bigger units, but wanted to try just a small piece before investing in a whole unit. I've been wanting to do a Little House study with DS, we'll be doing a couple different things with it, I got a recipe book and another lapbook too.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#30 of 51 Old 10-29-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
We got the Literature Unit for Little House in the Big Woods from 8-10. Not the whole "Interdependence" concept around it. I'm intrigued by the bigger units, but wanted to try just a small piece before investing in a whole unit. I've been wanting to do a Little House study with DS, we'll be doing a couple different things with it, I got a recipe book and another lapbook too.
link?

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page