Anyone interested in a high school homeschooling thread? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 10-23-2010, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds is doing well. I honestly do not know how kids who go to school handle it!! Ds has 2 online classes plus is in theatre locally, and that is all he can handle and have a decent amount of free/sleep/life time.

I am pretty impressed with the quality of the classes and lack of busy work. A little plug for the virtual learning center for those in Ontario.

One small caveat: he has had 3 courses, total, online...and math and online are tricky. Having to draw xy graphs online is way more time consuming than on grid paper. Paper notes might be better for math for him as well. Oh well, we have a printer and I may look into borrowing a few books from the library on math to have hard copies around to look at to work through problems.

His biggest issue as well is schedueling. Because we are very relaxed HSers, he needs a bit of help with the transition from relaxed to classwork and deadlines, etc. He and I are not on the same time plan. I keep regular ours (and work occasionally) and Ds is a night owl. Figuring out when is a good time to help him (which he both wants and needs at this point) is an issue.

I am watching some academic bloom which is very cool - he is very into world religions, world geography/travel and history. No gauruntee - but maybe travel will be in our future

My DD is grade 7 age - but has chosen to go to school this year - gah!!! Hence why I am not writing on her, here.
#32 of 47 Old 10-23-2010, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
HI, can I join... DS is 10 but able to do HS level work in some areas. I prefer to unschool but DS likes his online classes via CTY. (They have him listed as 4th grade, which is correct if he would be in traditional school, late b'day). Why does school have to be so confusing??

Anyway he is almost totally phased out of elementary school material and probably 50% phased out of jr. high material. Socially and Emotionally he is a solid 10 yr old though...

DS loves his science and math. He loves TO read but anything with writing or dissecting literature isnt his thing right now!

Drama classes start next week!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#33 of 47 Old 10-23-2010, 04:31 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
10 would be 4th grade? Wow, that's a late cut-off! My 11-year-old is considered 7th grade by age here.

I read the first part of this thread and when I posted there a year ago I said I had one high schooler doing course work and that my middle two weren't interested. Things sure can change!

This year my 11, 14 and 16-year-olds are all doing course work through the local high school. My 16-year-old is doing a combination of in-class courses and independent study courses on a part-time basis. My 11- and 14-year-olds are not doing any in-class courses, but are each taking a few high school courses via independent study.

My 14-year-old is struggling with evaluation and written output. He's doing Science 10 through the local school district, which he needs as a pre-requisite for Physics 11 which he's interested in taking, but he hates the written work. He's doing as much of it as he can on the computer now, which helps, but it's still a bit of an obstacle for him. And he's stalling on test-writing in Math 9. He covered all the material two years ago so this is very much easy review for him, but he has not written a test ever and has been stalling for three weeks on writing the mid-term. He chose this course rather than Math 10 or 11 which would be more at his level, because he wanted something drop-dead easy to get used to the idea of taking tests. So far he's not really making progress on that count.

He's having a blast with his Information Technology courses. It's all student-led project work, and he's using programming and modding environments to get credit for what he loves doing: scripting logic circuits and creating tutorials and explanations and multimedia demonstrations and machinima and websites and the like. He was registered for InfoTech 9, but when he showed his first creation to his supervising teacher he was told that pretty much covered all of InfoTech 9 in one fell swoop, and he was given credit on the spot and moved up to InfoTech 10.

He has discovered the local teen/adult Gamers' Club, which he has become quite active in, so he's got a lot more people in his social circle now, which is nice. He's continuing with youth choir (where his now-tenor-voice has allowed him to be "made a real man"!) which he loves, and with viola and his various musical chamber groups, so I feel like he's got a really good balance.

My 11-year-old is doing well. Her course work is Math 9 and Science 9 both of which are a cakewalk for her, but she's methodical and easy-going, loving the indepedence of doing academic work that comes from somewhere outside the family, and doesn't mind the lack of challenge at this point. This is her first foray into evaluated academics as well, and she seems to be handling it fine. She's branched out socially as well, and doesn't seem to have been sucked down the path of obsessive computer use which I had been worrying about last year when I posted. She's doing the local community (adult) choir this year, and spending lots of time at her friend's farm riding horses and caring for pigs, goats, sheep, cows and the like. And she's busy with stop-motion animation projects, reading, sketching, baking, violin and cross-country running team.

My 16-year-old has developed and refined her future ambitions. She's across the country this weekend networking with top violin teachers, getting lessons, making connections, checking out university possibilities. She also has a couple of major violin recitals scheduled for next month. She's working away at enough home-based and school-based coursework to hopefully almost complete provincial requirements for a grad diploma this year. That way she'll hopefully be able to live away from home next year to get the musical training she needs, while just mopping up a last credit or two. Next year will be audition year for post-secondary music performance programs to commence in the fall of 2012. She's pretty driven these days and all I have to fuss with for her is getting her to and from her rehearsals and lessons (most of which are hours away, so that has its own challenges).

And then I have a delightful 7-year-old who is not doing any high school learning who I won't talk about at all here.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#34 of 47 Old 10-23-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
One small caveat: he has had 3 courses, total, online...and math and online are tricky. Having to draw xy graphs online is way more time consuming than on grid paper.
http://www.geogebra.org/cms/
He might find this useful. It is a free download. My daughter uses it for graphing for online classes. It seemed a little tricky to get pictures to export in the form she wanted so he may need to play with it a bit. Of course, if she had read the directions or tutorials, it might have been very straightforward.
#35 of 47 Old 10-23-2010, 09:46 PM

We should probably make a different thread for pre-teens. Preteens are not teens and they both face different challenges.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#36 of 47 Old 10-23-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
We should probably make a different thread for pre-teens. Preteens are not teens and they both face different challenges.
Sure they're different. But I thought this thread was about homeschooling high school, not homeschooling teens -- unless I'm missing something. My 11-year-old and my 14-year-old are both doing "Grade 9 Math" and I don't see that the issues are really that different between them that we need to separate them into different threads.

Miranda

#37 of 47 Old 10-23-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
My 14-year-old .. he's stalling on test-writing in Math 9. He covered all the material two years ago so this is very much easy review for him, but he has not written a test ever and has been stalling for three weeks on writing the mid-term.
Update on my own post earlier today. Despite a certain amount of sighing and moaning he wrote his mid-term this afternoon. First hurdle over with. It may seem like a small deal but it's not for him. This is the kid who quit piano at age 8 in large part because the informal oral note-naming quizzes his teacher gave him every week were way too stressful for him. He has steered entirely clear of grades, scores, competition and evaluation until now. So I'm very proud of him for completing the test. He scored pretty well too, which is nice for his confidence, if not a big surprise to me.

Miranda

#38 of 47 Old 10-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Dar

I guess then I'm *not* homeschooling high school, then, because my kid's been taking college courses for more than three years.

I'm going to bump up the latest homeschooling teens thread, I think, so maybe we can talk more about the academic challenges of high school-level coursework here and stick to the other challenges of homeschooling a teen there?

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#39 of 47 Old 10-25-2010, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
10 would be 4th grade? Wow, that's a late cut-off! My 11-year-old is considered 7th grade by age here.
Miranda
Only because AZ uses Sept 1st as a cut off for school entrance and my son misses it my a few days. So technically he was still 9 yrs old as of 9/1/10 and that qualified him for 4th grade in traditional school out here. Arizona also starts school in early August. Everyone is back in class by 8/15.

Never mind he took pre-algebra at our local state university at a 3 week condensed course this summer.

But this kid really wants a break from math and is looking forward to some Science classes from CTY!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#40 of 47 Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Update on my own post earlier today. Despite a certain amount of sighing and moaning he wrote his mid-term this afternoon. First hurdle over with. It may seem like a small deal but it's not for him.
Miranda

It's great to see them over coming issues like this!
#41 of 47 Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Miranda
We have a late cut off as well. My 12 yr old would be considered a 6th grader by having a birthdate 10 days after the cut off in Sept. We have her down as a 7th grader on required state paperwork.
#42 of 47 Old 10-26-2010, 08:37 PM

Anyone thinking about preparing for any AP classes or SAT subject tests?

We're thinking of doing a few over the course of the high school years if dd doesn't find stikcing to the syllabus and tests too onerous. She is interested in doing AP Bio next year (and I'll probably suggest taking the SAT subject test while she's at it). I'm leaning toward not going through the course audit process, so she wouldn't have AP bio on her transcript - just a test score to go along with the honors bio course work. She will probably do most of her school work next year as project based or self exploration. However, I would help prepare a syllabus and labs for AP bio. She also may do a dual enrollment class (foreign language) since sometimes it's just easier to do things in person in a classroom. I think that two classes with hard deadlines will give her enough space for exploring other areas of interest.
#43 of 47 Old 10-27-2010, 02:05 AM

May I join?

DD is 12 (13 in Dec.) and in 8th grade but she's very advanced (upper highschool/university level) in some areas. We're very much radical unschoolers but she's been of a fairly academic mindset from a young age. These days she's working on the Art of Problem Solving Pre-Calculus book with her dad, doing some harmony/music theory with me, playing her violin like crazy, learning Arabic, getting ready for NaNoWriMo, and reading every single physics book she can get her hands on. We're trying to see what the local community college thinks of her taking either math or physics there next term. She'd really love to try out a classroom setting but isn't at all interested in the idea of middle or high school, and it wouldn't really be a good fit anyway.

~Kristina~
Earth loving, unschooling mama to Elisabeth (12), Sam (8), and Grace (5).
#44 of 47 Old 10-27-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ponygirl View Post
Anyone thinking about preparing for any AP classes or SAT subject tests?

We're thinking of doing a few over the course of the high school years if dd doesn't find stikcing to the syllabus and tests too onerous. She is interested in doing AP Bio next year (and I'll probably suggest taking the SAT subject test while she's at it). I'm leaning toward not going through the course audit process, so she wouldn't have AP bio on her transcript - just a test score to go along with the honors bio course work. She will probably do most of her school work next year as project based or self exploration. However, I would help prepare a syllabus and labs for AP bio. She also may do a dual enrollment class (foreign language) since sometimes it's just easier to do things in person in a classroom. I think that two classes with hard deadlines will give her enough space for exploring other areas of interest.
We're probably going the honors w/AP test route, too. Down the line, I might consdier PA Homeschoolers for a few courses, but not right off the bat. In the meantime, ds's uncle is a history professor, so we plan to take advantage of that!

Carrie .. 
Raising a full house- Kings (12, 3, new) over Queens (8, 7)

#45 of 47 Old 10-27-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy kris View Post
May I join?

DD is 12 (13 in Dec.) and in 8th grade but she's very advanced (upper highschool/university level) in some areas. We're very much radical unschoolers but she's been of a fairly academic mindset from a young age. These days she's working on the Art of Problem Solving Pre-Calculus book with her dad, doing some harmony/music theory with me, playing her violin like crazy, learning Arabic, getting ready for NaNoWriMo, and reading every single physics book she can get her hands on. We're trying to see what the local community college thinks of her taking either math or physics there next term. She'd really love to try out a classroom setting but isn't at all interested in the idea of middle or high school, and it wouldn't really be a good fit anyway.
Please do!
My daughter (also 12) is working on the AoPS Intermediate Algebra book right now and also planning to do NaNoWriMo. She may pretend that it is script frenzy instead though. She has an animated feature she wants to make and wants to work on that script.

She tried a local charter high school last year part-time. Her quote, 'even when the concepts are new, they seem old after repeating them over and over'. LOL

Since I work at the state university, we may see about her attending a class there next year. She did like her in person Spanish class at the high school last year. She's doing fine with her online class now but would really like to work on foreign language in person if possible. Plus she is very enamored with the idea of class 2 or 3 times per week. She said she probably would have tried some more classes at the high school if they would just let her come every other day.
#46 of 47 Old 10-29-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ponygirl View Post
Please do!
My daughter (also 12) is working on the AoPS Intermediate Algebra book right now and also planning to do NaNoWriMo. She may pretend that it is script frenzy instead though. She has an animated feature she wants to make and wants to work on that script.

She tried a local charter high school last year part-time. Her quote, 'even when the concepts are new, they seem old after repeating them over and over'. LOL

Since I work at the state university, we may see about her attending a class there next year. She did like her in person Spanish class at the high school last year. She's doing fine with her online class now but would really like to work on foreign language in person if possible. Plus she is very enamored with the idea of class 2 or 3 times per week. She said she probably would have tried some more classes at the high school if they would just let her come every other day.
Your daughter sounds a lot like mine. DD is so excited for NaNoWriMo. Well, Halloween and then NaNoWriMo. She's part of a writing group that meets for a few hours once a week. It's very warm and friendly but also challenges her a lot. She'd love to take more classes of that sort. But regular highschool? No way.

~Kristina~
Earth loving, unschooling mama to Elisabeth (12), Sam (8), and Grace (5).
#47 of 47 Old 10-29-2010, 11:21 PM

Just a few hours ago, my daughter asked - 'Can I go ahead and start my NaNoWriMo project?'

We're also having people over for Halloween so she's so excited. I'm looking at the messy house and just not feeling the joy yet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page