Barnes and Noble has an irritating new policy - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 11-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yippityskippity View Post
I tried to get a B&N discount card and was told that I needed to show my "homeschool license." Me: "There is no such thing." B&N: "Oh, yes. You must be licensed to homeschool in this state." Me: "I promise that's not the case." (and then I go onto outiine a couple of ways in which people can legally homeschool.) B&N: "Well, other people have come in and shown their license." Me: "I have no idea what it actually was that they were showing you, but it wasn't a "license." No homeschool license exists, nor do I have ANY paperwork from the state. I file something but they don't send anything back." And the conversation continued in circles until I got frustrated and left. I hate B&N. I'm okay with them needing some kind of official proof, but it has to be proof that exists!
See,that's why I'm annoyed.They have a nation wide policy that doesn't fit the whole nation.So,if some B&N employee is unimfomed about the homeschollong laws and just refers to their nation wide policy,homeschoolers are going to be left out on what they are entitled to.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 68 Old 11-03-2009, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For some reason, the idea of a homeschooling license is cracking me up.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#63 of 68 Old 11-04-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riversmommy View Post
Hey. I just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I didn't even KNOW about the discount at B and N and now I'm happily skipping off to get the next Explode the Code workbook for my son, that my taxes don't pay for, nor does any other entity in my life, not even the Denim Jumpers Association of Homeschool Funding of America, nope...just me. And yay, for discounts!

BTW, in our state you register to HS online and print out a number to show you're registered. I'm going to try that as proof at our local store. Now, I just need to work on the frazzled look, since I wouldn't be caught dead in a jumper!!!!
Just to clarify....

A Home Educator's discount is good for 20% off of books to be used in the "classroom." Something like twice a year, B&N will have an "Educator's appreciation week" and we get a whopping 25% off of ALL our purchases-mags,games,books for mom,sister, great aunt suzy, ect..

For those not "official" educators, B&N offers an annual discount of 10%. Of course, you have to pay around $50 to get the discount card-but if you buy even a couple of books, you're just about there in paying for the $50.

Just saying...

Me-The sad thing about truth, is that it has the ability to repel people.
#64 of 68 Old 11-04-2009, 11:38 AM

I went and renewed my card yesterday. I brought the response from this year's Letter of Intent but the dude at the register didn't want to see it. He just handed me the card and application. I'm glad it's a real card now.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#65 of 68 Old 11-06-2009, 05:03 AM

I don't feel any urge to justify why, or even claim that, I deserve the B&N homeschooler discount, or especially why, or claim that, someone else does not deserve that discount. Barnes & Noble is a business, and as a business it has decided that it is in its own best interests to lure teachers and homeschoolers to it with a discount- they made the rules, and decided that I am a within a demographic that they want to offer this discount to (and they're probably dead-on with it... I would not have bought as many new books in the past year without that discount; between the 20% educator discount and now free wi-fi, they've got me hooked). That they don't feel that parents in general is a demographic that needs luring with a similar discount is their business decision; they could decide tomorrow that actually they don't feel that homeschoolers are a group that should be provided this discount and we'd be out, and we'd be mad, and we wouldn't go any more maybe (library has free wi-fi, too!).

Quote:
For those not "official" educators, B&N offers an annual discount of 10%. Of course, you have to pay around $50 to get the discount card-but if you buy even a couple of books, you're just about there in paying for the $50.
If the membership card was $50, you'd need to buy $500 worth of stuff each year to make that back up! Fortunately (compared to that), the regular B&N membership is only $25/yr (and you get a bigger discount than 10% on hardcover books).

Unschooling mama to DD1, 11/2001
and DD2, 11/2004
#66 of 68 Old 11-06-2009, 11:13 AM

I like having the real card now too. I have spoken with our B&N management many times about their unclear policies. Sometimes they ask for "proof", other times they don't. Recently they have made an attempt to stop asking "Is this for the classroom?". Many hsers find this annoying when they are buying workbooks, literature, etc. I clearly respond, "Yes, everything we read and do is learning."

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#67 of 68 Old 11-13-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake&zaxmom View Post
Here (NC) Barnes and Noble won't allow the educator discount on...text books!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#68 of 68 Old 11-13-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
That's not a universal policy, just so you know. That's the specific manager giving you a hard time.
I tend to agree.

That is offensive.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page