Mothering Forum banner

Tired of explaining - VENT

661 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  2xy 
#1 ·
I apologize ahead of time for this grumble, but I have no one else to talk to and it's been raining here FOREVER and I have my period so I'm sure I'm just hypersensitive right now
but...

I'm tired of explaining homeschooling to people. Why we do it, how long we plan to do it, what we do during the day. I'm very lucky that questions I get are almost never negative, just curious. And usually I'm happy to give my little "3-minute commercial" to anyone who asks. But lately I've just hit a wall with it and I don't know why. My child is older now and it feels like every time we go to the store or the park or just about anywhere, someone asks "no school today?" And when we say we homeschool, the questions begin. I used to love the opportunity to talk about what's important to us, even if the questioners came off a little hostile, but right now even the most innocuous comments or questions make me grit my teeth (mentally) as I feel I have to defend our choices again. I also sometimes feel like my child has to be the "poster child" for homeschooling to some people, and that's not fair at all.

We belong to a few homeschooling groups, and it's nice to spend time with them, but we are still finding our niche so I don't have any good friends who are in the same boat. Like the title says, I guess I just needed to vent. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
i understand. i don't even give a 3 minute response though. my answers are vague and never invite any kind of conversation. i don't expect anyone to explain why they chose the path they have for their kids, and therefore, i don't even attempt to justify, explain, convince, etc. why we do what we do. fortunately our immediate family is fairly supportive. they probably don't see it as the "best" option, but they know my husband and i do & they respect that. as for strangers and acquaintances though, i don't care what they think & my answers tend to reflect that.

#4 ·
My answers to 'no school today' just depend on my mood. Many times I reply ' Yes we are in school ' or ' this is SCHOOL'. Other times I just ignore the question or will say 'early dismissal' or 'late start'. In the beginning, many years go, I would explain HS and whats involved. I no longer feel like doing that. So I keep our answers short and move on.

#6 ·
I usually respond with "He's/she's/they're homeschooled" and then go on with whatever it was I was doing before (selecting groceries, asking what's in the free sample, etc.)

The only time I've engaged in homeschooling discussions with store employees is when I'm at Trader Joe's and I've built up a friendly rapport with all 4 or 5 employees who are there in the mornings. So sometimes we're rushing through and doing our shopping, and other days we get into a conversation that includes why I'm homeschooling. But at that point, I'm talking to an aquaintance, not a stranger.

#7 ·
Someone on here posted the other day that they tell people her kids go to a "special school" when she gets asked questions. Then conversation immediately comes to a grinding halt, because no one wants to ask why or for what. That made me crack up and I decided to file it away for future use

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
The only time I've engaged in homeschooling discussions with store employees is when I'm at Trader Joe's and I've built up a friendly rapport with all 4 or 5 employees who are there in the mornings. So sometimes we're rushing through and doing our shopping, and other days we get into a conversation that includes why I'm homeschooling. But at that point, I'm talking to an aquaintance, not a stranger.
That made me smile because I love all the employees at my local TJ's too, and I feel like they know more about me than many of my real friends! They have the friendliest staff members (but not fake creepy friendly, like many other stores try to have), and I always enjoy going there.

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lach View Post
Someone on here posted the other day that they tell people her kids go to a "special school" when she gets asked questions. Then conversation immediately comes to a grinding halt, because no one wants to ask why or for what. That made me crack up and I decided to file it away for future use

love it.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lach View Post

I wish I'd thought of that years ago!

I hear ya, OP. I've long been sick of it. I think the saddest question is "Do you like it?" It absolutely amazes me how many people don't really enjoy being around their kids. They love them, but don't relish them. KWIM?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.