How about another Classical/CM thread? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 212 Old 11-15-2009, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found some really nice printable Butterfly Identification Cards from Iowa State University's Reiman Gardens that I thought some of you might enjoy. I'm going to print the ones found in our area out on cardstock and maybe laminate them. I'll stick them in a basket by the window or near the door and I'm sure we'll spend a lot of time reading them, and in the future (when fair weather returns again) searching for them on our summertime nature walks.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 212 Old 11-15-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
I just found some really nice printable Butterfly Identification Cards from Iowa State University's Reiman Gardens that I thought some of you might enjoy. I'm going to print the ones found in our area out on cardstock and maybe laminate them. I'll stick them in a basket by the window or near the door and I'm sure we'll spend a lot of time reading them, and in the future (when fair weather returns again) searching for them on our summertime nature walks.
Great idea!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#63 of 212 Old 11-15-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
AWSOME

(we are even in iowa)

and you could make a memory game too -- or use them as bookmarks.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#64 of 212 Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 PM

How is everyone doing?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#65 of 212 Old 11-27-2009, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
How is everyone doing?
We're doing well! I'm ordering the next level of Singapore math, and everything else is chugging along well.
Everyone else?

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#66 of 212 Old 11-28-2009, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm trying to get more organized.
It's our first year homeschooling and it's taken me awhile to get comfortable, pick a philosophy that works (CM/classical) and then figure out how to fit it all in. It's just the last few weeks that I feel I've got a handle on it. I'm using AO now and really like it. Some of the readings are so fun. My husband insists on reading the poem of the day. It's very sweet--he feels more connected to our homeschooling now.
I've got a lot of books out of the library while waiting for our copies to show up from Amazon.
All in all, I'm beginning to relax and enjoy myself!

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
#67 of 212 Old 11-28-2009, 03:40 AM

We're doing well, though we took this last week off (dh was home for the week, and though I had planned on hs'ing M-W, we had to much to do, that we took the week off instead), so I'm a little worried about getting us back into the groove on Monday.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#68 of 212 Old 11-29-2009, 10:38 PM

I started a Classical Conversations Community in my area because their were none around. I just knew I wanted to do it for my kids. I was excited about it before we started, but now that we're actually in it....I'm even more excited. The kids (8, 7 & 4) love it! They do not consider it part of their school. I add math and reading to it (that's the part they think is their school).

CC is a Community of Classical Ed homeschooling families that meets once a week. Classes are directed by CC-trained tutors (parents). Kids K4 - 6th meet for 24 (classes) weeks. Students 7th - 12th meet for 30 weeks (classes) each year. It is meant to be support and training for homeschooling families.

The kids have learned a ton already, however, I know that the true benefits will be the long-term rewards of a Classical education. The program gives me some accountability, but stresses that I (the parent) am the teacher, although they have tutors who present material to the children on the one-day-a-week that we meet. CC has provided support and fellowship. I just can't say enough about it. I have never been in a situation in my homeschooling where I feel like we are accomplishing as much with as little pain.

CC provides a good core (no reading/math at the younger ages), but you can add as little or as much to it as you want. You, as your child's teacher, set the expectations and evaluate. The program is full family involvement where parents are in the class with their kids because CC knows that the kids are only at CC 24 times a year. Parents need to be able to bring the Classical model home for the majority of the year.

CC is great with training parents and tutors at free 3-day Practicums every year and parents get tutored or trained in the classical method right along with their kids.

It's been a God-send for us. Here's the link..which reminds me that I need to go to their bookstore and take advantage of the massive sale they are having on Classical Ed books and Christian living resources. I have a $10 coupon and I missed the last sale they were having. If I miss this one, which ends tomorrow, I might actually have to kick myself!! Anyway, here's that link: http://classicalconversations.com/index.php
#69 of 212 Old 12-01-2009, 04:57 PM

I looked up teh Classical Conversations Community website and serached Iowa. the 'contact" for Iowa is not even IN iowa ... i am a bit cofused, but i don't think there is anything here. Sounds great though

Thanks

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#70 of 212 Old 12-01-2009, 05:24 PM

Well, I decided to order First Language Lessons 3 for ds#1. We've been doing FLL 1 with the whole family, but as I plan on starting more formal Latin in the spring (Latin for Children), I wanted to get ds#1 a bit more advanced with his grammar a bit more quickly. So, it should be here tomorrow.

I also found Michael Clay Thompson language arts materials. Oh, I need to stop clicking on links on other boards. I think we'll start the first package either after FLL 3 or maybe FLL 4 (I haven't decided). I also found Life of Fred math, which I love! So, I think that is where we are headed after Miquon.

For today, though, we are doing nothing. The other two boys have been watching copious amounts of the Science Channel (and right now as program on the deep sea on the History Channel), and ds#3 is watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I have been sick with a cold since Sunday. Yesterday I didn't feel well nor was I in a good mood, but we got through all our work except Latin. Today I don't feel well, but I'm in a much better mood, and we aren't doing anything. (Probably should have switched the two days. ) We will go to the library and park later, which will get the TV off (and I think I'll encourage out-door play before the sun sets while I string Christmas lights on the artificial tree we put in the front yard).

Oh, and I think I am reverting to history nice-and-simple, a la the original Well Trained Mind recommendations. We have been using History Odyssey with Story of the World, and I've been trying to fit it all in, and I'm tired of that. We love listening to SOTW, and I think I'm just going back to the basics: read the chapter from SOTW, read any supplemental books that I can find/want to read from the library, do an occasional narration and/or copywork exercise based on the subject and probably a map page as I already have H.O., and then move on. It's really a survey of world history, in my point of view, and eventually when they are older, we'll get more in-depth with it. But, I think for now, that is what we'll do. At least that plan makes me feel much less anxious about it all. If there's a particular chapter that really piques our interest, then we might stick there a bit longer. Oh, and as we will *finally* be done with Middle Ages right after the New Year (or sooner if we just keep reading the chapters), I also need to fit in reading from History of US by Joy Hakim and A Young Person's History of the U.S. by Howard Zinn while we do Early-Modern Times. If I had to do all that with the feeling of needing to do all of H.O. (or even do all of the SOTW activity guide), I think I'd go nuts!

#71 of 212 Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM

MyLittleWonders -- your last paragraph brings up somethingi have thought of before.

With so much reading -- reading for READING, reading something else for HISTORY, and then a family read a loud too .... does it get comfusing to the kids?

If you are reading something for reading / lit. and a differnt spine / novle for history and ______ -- does it get confusing?

or maybe a better way to say it -- how do you keep it from getting confused??

Aimee

#72 of 212 Old 12-01-2009, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
MyLittleWonders -- your last paragraph brings up somethingi have thought of before.

With so much reading -- reading for READING, reading something else for HISTORY, and then a family read a loud too .... does it get comfusing to the kids?

If you are reading something for reading / lit. and a differnt spine / novle for history and ______ -- does it get confusing?

Aimee
We read:

A read-aloud chapter book (usually daily, usually one book every 1-2 weeks), often two books going at the same time (Currently Mr. Popper's Penguins and Dinotopia: Journey to Chandara)
Read-together phonics books (usually daily)
Aesop's Fables (2 stories a week)
Paddle To The Sea (1 chapter per week)
Just So Stories and Beautiful Stories From Shakespeare (approximately 1 story from each per month)
An average of a poem a day from one of five different books (usually we read a whole bunch at once, rather than actually doing one a day)
A science book (in the 80 page range) each week
Story Of The World, usually 2 chapters per week
Assorted picture books and books related to various topics

So, at any given time, we generally have at least 10 books going at once.

It feels like a lot of reading (though not as much as Ambleside Online suggests!), and can take a lot of time, but confusion hasn't been a problem so far, for me or DS. DS remembers well what is going on in each, and requests the different things by name.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#73 of 212 Old 12-02-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:

Aimee
We do read a lot - SOTW, The Burgess Bird Book, Our Island Story, books from the library, books for science/history, short stories for narrations; but like ocelotmom said, my boys don't seem to have a hard time keeping it all straight. The hard part is for me - trying to remember to read the extra stuff with any consistency. SOTW is read weekly. But, the Bird Book and Our Island Story some times are not picked up for a few weeks. I write in my plan book the Aesop fables for narration for the week, as well as the chapter(s) for SOTW, and any relevant pages from Usborne Encyclopedia. Other than that, though, it's just read as I think of it, or as the mood presents.

#74 of 212 Old 12-05-2009, 10:46 AM

What is everyone up to? We've gotten a little behind with the Thanksgiving holiday and some new activities outside the house. I'm trying to figure out how to rearrange our schedule so that we can still accomplish everything we want to before the end of the year.

My mom wanted to take my boys to an art class this year that the local wool store offers (the owner is a former art teacher) but because my father recently had a liver transplant we decided it would be better to stay away from groups like that to minimize the risks to him. She recently had the idea for them to come to her house once a week for an art class. She's not an artist, but my father was an art major in college and she's crafty. Yesterday for their first class I took my Discovering Great Artists book and they did the egg paint activity and discussed Giotto. I left right after they got started and spent my time Christmas shopping and grocery shopping. When I got back to her house she had the walls covered with different works of art my father did in college, some of my art from high school, and some prints of famous paintings. My boys thought it was so cool to see art work that Momma and Papa had created. I think they are going to have so much fun with this. Oma is over the moon happy to be able to spend an hour or two a week creating things with her grandsons. And I'm happy to have time to do the grocery shopping without feeling the need to rush because little boys get fidgety.

Now I just have to adjust our schedule to a 4-day week because we tend to spend the whole day at their house when we go over.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#75 of 212 Old 12-05-2009, 02:42 PM

We took off Thanksgiving week, and then I ended up with a cold and did a grand total of 2 days of school this last week. I feel a little bit "behind" but that is only based on what I was wanting to do before Christmas break. The next two weeks will probably be pretty normal weeks, though I'm hoping to get some good baking in with the boys in the afternoons.

Jessica, the art time with your parents and your children sounds so wonderful! What a great experience for your boys, and what a great bonding time for them. (And might I add I'm a little envious of your alone time to shop?! )

I think I figured out what I want language arts to look like for the grammar stage. It's not set in stone, but I feel better with it all. I've decided to go pretty much with Writing with Ease and First Language Lessons because I know it works with the boys and it keeps things simple. Around 3rd or 4th grade, I'll add in Classical Writing Primer (whatever year each boys does the CW:P, then the WWE book will become and oral exercise on the couch rather than a written exercise). Then, we can transition into the Classical Writing program (Aesop, Homer, etc.). I'm still not sure where to go with grammar after FLL 4, but I have another year to wait before I need to really start worrying about it. So, now I can table the indecision. Although, I had already started ds#1 with Classical Writing Primer, Autumn this term and he's almost done with it. I'm not sure if I want to continue with Winter and Spring this year, doing WWE 3 orally, or switch back to WWE and then pick up the Winter and Spring CW next year. But, I'll decide that as we get to it after Christmas break. I do love the CW Primer, but I feel the actual direct instruction is missing. If I could figure out how to combine them seamlessly, I think I'd have a perfect writing program. Which is actually what I want to do between doing WWE orally and CW:P written - I love the copywork selections from CW, plus the narration exercises, the little review exercises for grammar & spelling, and the built-in nature study and picture study (though I need to figure out where to schedule those in our week). But, I love the instruction in the WWE series and feel it's important at this age. So ... maybe I'll write my own curriculum using the best of both worlds.

#76 of 212 Old 12-05-2009, 03:21 PM

hello all,

i have a just-turned 5 year old and a 2.5 year old. i definitely want to do classical/cm homeschooling, though like a pp, i'm kind of floundering in getting from zero to homeschooling. :-) right now, my 5 year old is working his way, sporadically i admit, though "hooked on phonics" level one. he also practices writing, when the mood strikes him. and i recently bought an abacus which we play some number games with. i read to him, also, and we're currently working our way through a compilation of milne's winnie the pooh stories.

i'm glad this thread is here; i definitely need some ideas to expand things further, though probably all i really need is some more reading material, and to get outside more. :-)

christina

meafro.jpg, and dhyikes2.gif, -- parenting joy.gifsince 2004, and bouncy.gif since 2007.
"IF YOU ARE NOT OUTRAGED, THEN YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION." signcirc1.gif
#77 of 212 Old 12-06-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I looked up teh Classical Conversations Community website and serached Iowa. the 'contact" for Iowa is not even IN iowa ... i am a bit cofused, but i don't think there is anything here. Sounds great though

Thanks

Aimee
I am in MN and am a bit confused too

#78 of 212 Old 12-06-2009, 10:06 PM

Hey mama's, jumping in. After a few months of "de-schooling" and wondering what the heck we were going to do, I finally made my way back to TWTM and fully realized how easy it is to follow and build our own curr. based on the suggestions in the book. Though I am following the Phonics/Reading/Writing/Spelling almost to a T, with Phonics Pathways, Spelling Workout, and FLL. I am still unsure about what we are going to do for math. I ordered Saxon 1 for DS/7, so we will see how that goes, I noticed that only one person had mentioned Saxon, so I might check out Miquon and M.Y.S. as well. History, we are reading SOTW twice a week, with books from the library, we are moving into mummy making tomorrow. Science will be once a week w/ a book I picked up at Barns n' Noble, Evan-Moor, Learning About Weather. We will add other things along the way as we can handle them. I intend to join our local Audubon Society to take advantage of their HS classes, but maybe next fall. I would love to start Latin, but I am playing w/ the idea of either Muzzy for Spanish or Rosetta Stone for Hebrew. I am going to check out some of the Art links that have been suggested so that we can add art one day a week and then Music as well. Thats it in a nutshell, I am being paged. I look forward to learning more from you mom's, it seems our DC's are all around the same age!

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

#79 of 212 Old 12-07-2009, 02:20 PM

I am drawn to CE an CM. Are you able to use these approaches and remain secular? (I guess we are already kind of doing this but not following any particular curriculum just yet)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#80 of 212 Old 12-07-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
I am drawn to CE an CM. Are you able to use these approaches and remain secular? (I guess we are already kind of doing this but not following any particular curriculum just yet)
I don't see why either has to be Christian (or any other faith for that matter).

We are barely stih reading .. many of the books and "plan' out there for Classical ARE Christian, but i don't see any reason they would have to be. i believe there are several moms here that "more more secular" the plans they follow

#81 of 212 Old 12-07-2009, 08:02 PM

I am a bit late, but we are also planning on a CM/Classical style curriculum. I had originally been thinking of a classical model, but I really love the CM stuff for younger kids (I haven't really got to look much at the later years yet.)

We plan to more or less follow the Ambleside curriculum, which will I think be a good fit for our family.

That being said, dd1 will only be 5 in January, so we are not really into much formal learning yet. WE also have a new baby due then, so I expect we will not get into starting until September of maybe even Christmas next year.

At the moment, I am looking to collect up materials.

On another note, I noticed some commenting on having the "Formidable List" done by age 6. I've joined the Ambleside year 0 group on Yahoo, and the feeling there seems to be that the list is meant to be an ideal, rather than a minimum, and is probably meant to be completed by age 7, not age 6.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#82 of 212 Old 12-08-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post

On another note, I noticed some commenting on having the "Formidable List" done by age 6. I've joined the Ambleside year 0 group on Yahoo, and the feeling there seems to be that the list is meant to be an ideal, rather than a minimum, and is probably meant to be completed by age 7, not age 6.
That's really good to know- thanks! and welcome to the thread.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#83 of 212 Old 12-08-2009, 02:04 PM

I have a question:

has anyone takent eh "Formidable List" (by age 6) and re-written it? to be either more specific to their family or ...

I am thinking i want to do that ..some of stuff is not relavant to us -- like the stuff in French

ANy one do this?

Aimee

#84 of 212 Old 12-08-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I have a question:

has anyone takent eh "Formidable List" (by age 6) and re-written it? to be either more specific to their family or ...

I am thinking i want to do that ..some of stuff is not relavant to us -- like the stuff in French

ANy one do this?

Aimee
I am in the process of doing that RIGHT now!

I will share our list when I am done. I also am rewriting the 12 year old list and making it be a 10 year old list.

#85 of 212 Old 12-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Also, my take is that the 6 yr list is for the year that they are 6, so 6-7 Not by their 6th birthday.

#86 of 212 Old 12-08-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I don't see why either has to be Christian (or any other faith for that matter).

We are barely stih reading .. many of the books and "plan' out there for Classical ARE Christian, but i don't see any reason they would have to be. i believe there are several moms here that "more more secular" the plans they follow
Even the "christian" ones I think could easily be adapted to be secular. THey have many myths, fairy tales and such. You could just remove the church history and Bible if you choose.

Kinda funny...I am readapting the programs because I do not believe they are Christian enough So to me many of them seem pretty secular in nature

#87 of 212 Old 12-08-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Also, my take is that the 6 yr list is for the year that they are 6, so 6-7 Not by their 6th birthday.
I didn't think of THAT too --

that IS a good point

#88 of 212 Old 12-08-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Even the "christian" ones I think could easily be adapted to be secular. THey have many myths, fairy tales and such. You could just remove the church history and Bible if you choose.

Kinda funny...I am readapting the programs because I do not believe they are Christian enough So to me many of them seem pretty secular in nature
Me too

I find it intresting what others find "strongly Christian" or whatever when frequently can see some Christan tone to it, but not to the extent a non-Christian might. Intresting to me the differnt takes on the same thing.

#89 of 212 Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
I guess this depends on what you mean by "remain secular"

If you mean "retain your current religious beliefs or lack thereof and not convert to Christianity or any other religion", then it's totally possible.

If you mean "avoid exposing my child to Christian beliefs and values", it's going to be harder. A lot of older (like before 1960 or so) Western children's literature assumes a basic Christian worldview and education on the part of the reader and promotes Christian values, even if the story isn't intended as religious propoganda, and this literature tends to be what these curriculums incorporate.

I'm finding that I feel my son is in need of a basic introduction to Christianity and Bible stories in order to have better context for some of what we're reading, and we'll probably incorporate that within the next year. But I do feel that this can be done in a secular manner (just as teaching Egyptian/Greek/Roman Myths isn't inherently going to turn a kid into a follower of those religions), and is probably helpful in dealing with society as a whole, not just curriculums. I mean, walk into any store this month, and they'll be playing songs about Jesus and his miraculous birth

We're using Ambleside Online and TWTM, and so far haven't had any trouble secularizing it. If i feel something is too religious, we replace it with something else that fits that niche, or just disregard it. Since we're drawing from multiple sources and have more than enough to do already (and aren't paying for resources we're not going to use!), I don't feel bad about just dropping things that don't work for us.

DS is only first grade, so take that with a grain of salt - it could get more difficult to secularize in future years. However, I know there are secular CM, Ambleside, and WTM resources out there, and that people use them in a secular manner all the way through.

My general feeling, as a secular homeschooler, is that so many of the resources out there are Christian in nature that avoiding the religious curriculums entirely is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I do think special care needs to be taken when looking at prepackaged curriculums (where you may be paying for a bunch of material that won't work for you), as well as History and Science. Those are two subjects where I feel that Christian curriculums occasionally greatly differ from what I would prefer to teach.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#90 of 212 Old 12-11-2009, 08:31 PM

what basic Phonics program did people like .. without hand writting ... i know Theo's fine motor is not ready to write anything, but by the the summer I'd like to start simple phonics with him -- but i am so confused by all teh programs ...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page