How about another Classical/CM thread? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 212 Old 02-06-2010, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am a huge fan of LCC, having spent this K5 year trying to teach my 5 y.o. the seven subjects mandated by K12 in my state. It's insane. There is no way he benefits from this kind of skipping around in his formal studies in the early elementary years. I am also ONE HUNDRED PERCENT TOTALLY IN LOVE with Drew's vision of a family that reads LOTS of excellent children's literature together, just as a part of life, without putting Narnia into the curriculum and making it into "schoolwork" instead of one of life's pleasures.

That said, being a scientifically-oriented family, we've got a lot of ground to cover in the sciences and I do plan to do a full year of it starting Grade 1 with biology. I guess in all that time I'm NOT teaching Religious Studies, I can teach evolution. But our four formal subjects in the first grade are going to be mathematics, history, Latin and biology. Multum non multa is a very sound principle IMO, particularly for a for a child who has an aptitude for figuring out phonetical and grammatical rules without plugging through workbooks. It will be so much less stressful to have four subjects, I can hardly wait!
#122 of 212 Old 02-06-2010, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New to the thread
Dd is 6, we are doing a mix of 1st & 2nd

Spelling Workout B
Shurley Grammer 1
Saxon Math 2

Veritas Press First Favorites, but we use this just for record keeping and b/c we bought it, lol. It's too easy, but is good writing practice and comprehension.
She's reading Chronicles of Narnia right now.

She did Song School Latin with co-p we are picking it back up this month.
We do handwriting practice and lots of arts and crafts.

History-whatever we read The Adventures of Odysseus is the favorite right now.
Science- mostly botany, we're big gardeners. She will do some science camps this summer and I'm doing Apologia Science next year.

Music-dd takes a piano lesson each week with a college prof and he is awesome!

Ballet 2 hours a week and that's it.

Ds 3.5 is working on letters, etc. He mostly plays on Starfall

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#123 of 212 Old 02-07-2010, 02:13 PM

I can't remember if I have ever posted on this thread but I have definitely lurked! Anyway, I just ordered LCC off of Amazon just now after all the talk here. I see us using a blend of Charlotte Mason and classical education so this seemed like a book I needed.

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
#124 of 212 Old 02-07-2010, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenSLP View Post
I can't remember if I have ever posted on this thread but I have definitely lurked! Anyway, I just ordered LCC off of Amazon just now after all the talk here. I see us using a blend of Charlotte Mason and classical education so this seemed like a book I needed.
Oh, yay! How fun! Let us know if you have anything you want to discuss!

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#125 of 212 Old 02-13-2010, 03:19 PM

How is everyone doing?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#126 of 212 Old 02-13-2010, 04:13 PM

How did everyone's week go?

Ours was really great! We are really starting to get back into our groove... and it has been so fun!

When it comes to history, we have been incredibly slacking lately, so I decided to go a different route. It's not at all Classical, though. Since history was totally getting put aside all the time (which is weird for us because PeachyPapa and I dig history so much... no thanks to our public school education), I decided to let the kids choose where they wanted to start. I took out all of our ancient history coloring books and let them find something that looked fun to them. At first they chose Greece, which I thought was so great since the Olympics are here! However, they immediately changed their minds and decided on Ancient China.

We had a lot of fun with Ancient China this week! We practiced Calligraphy ... using a paint brush and making our own ink! We also made Chinese lanterns. I took pictures and hope to blog about it. I'm such a terrible blogger, but I'm really trying... I promise!

I found a couple of templates online to help us build a paper replica of part of the Great Wall of China. So I hope to do this on Tuesday. I'm thinking that our Ancient China studies will be finished by the end of this next week. While I was at the library looking for books on Ancient China, I found a lot of books on Rome, so I think that is going to be our next area of study for history. And I have a feeling that we'll be spending a lot of time on Rome... at least 4 weeks. I'll probably be coming back here asking for book recommendations after I go through what we already have here.

Also this past week, all of our Latin material arrived! I ordered Song School Latin for KiwiBoy and Latin for Children A for CherryPie. I'm really excited about this and hope that we'll be able to start it this coming week.

Kathleen ~ did your LCC book arrive? I've still been debating with myself on whether I should order it or not.

Welcome to the thread jentilla!

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#127 of 212 Old 02-13-2010, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

My week went pretty well. We planted 18 jiffy pots of seeds for science- we've been studying plants and seeds. We finished Earlybird Mathematics- yay!! Everything else is kind of chugging along.
I think that we'll start going through things with a little more zest once I have this baby- I'm beginning to lose steam!

#128 of 212 Old 02-13-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Kathleen ~ did your LCC book arrive? I've still been debating with myself on whether I should order it or not
Not yet - unless it's in our mailbox right now (we just got home from an overnight trip.)

**Kat**
#129 of 212 Old 02-14-2010, 03:17 AM

Dh had last Monday off (and this coming one too), so our week was very short, especially because this past Friday was our once-a-month art coop with our friends. We did end up getting more done than I thought we would, but we didn't get to science, which always makes me a little anxious because it has always been the first thing that seems to be dropped when we get rushed. This week I am trying to think of how to squeeze our days into a four day week; but I think with having no art on Friday (and hopefully ds#2 can take his skating lesson Thursday night if baseball doesn't interfere, which I don't think it will, so he will be home on Friday too), we can make it work.

I am starting a time-line with the boys this week. We restarted history using A Child's History of the World (and I printed out a chart from on-line that gave a correspondence between CHOTW and SOTW so I can intersperse a few chapters here and there), and I'm excited to do it all over again as I think I didn't really do a good job the first time (we were half classical and half nothing the first time through, plus I had a newborn and was shuffling ds#2 to speech 2-3 times a week). I don't have wall space for a hanging time-line, so I think I'm going to use card stock and either tape the pieces together as we go (to make an accordion book over time) or put them in page protectors and in a 3-ring notebook. I like the accordion book idea because it can be spread out upon the floor and then folded back up when we are done. But, we will see as we go.

Otherwise, Spanish is going well with Elementary Spanish. Latin (Song School Latin) is getting a bit harder as we are learning phrases now (open the book, raise your hand, thank you, excuse me), so there is a bit more to learn. I think the next week or so we go back to nouns (animals), which should ease it up a bit. But, I am very happy still with the program and look forward to Latin for Children A next year.

I think I am going to reread LCC again (well, I need to finish reading the 1st edition on the computer - I do better reading books, but at least I can read it on the couch with the laptop), and then read through the 2nd edition again to really work on our schedule and prioritizing "electives." I'm glad it is only Saturday night, as last week we were recovering from colds (dh and I), plus it was the SuperBowl, and then we were gone the next day at the Aquarium; I never really had time to sit down and plan the school week. The rest of this long weekend is a bit quieter (though not by much as baseball season has begun and for some reason ds#2 had baseball practice today, and has practices tomorrow and Monday - his coach said that once the season games begin, it is harder to schedule practice time around the game schedule, so he's trying to get as much time with the boys right now as he can, and they are nice, so I'm not arguing ... but going from nothing to this is a bit of an adjustment, especially with ds#1 playing and having his own practice schedule - let me just say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE iCal!!!).

Phew, that was exhausting just typing it out. I'm off to go watch a little Olympics before my eyelids close. I hope everyone else is having a good weekend.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#130 of 212 Old 02-15-2010, 10:24 PM

Well, my MCT Island level books came today. Oh, I am so excited to sit down and read through them (and to start using them). I am going to have to practice some good self-discipline to not ditch FLL 3 (which is working quite fine for us) to use MCT exclusively. For now, though, I just plan 2-3 days of FLL and 1 day of MCT (for now just reading through Grammar Island).

#131 of 212 Old 02-16-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
I am a huge fan of LCC, having spent this K5 year trying to teach my 5 y.o. the seven subjects mandated by K12 in my state. It's insane. There is no way he benefits from this kind of skipping around in his formal studies in the early elementary years. I am also ONE HUNDRED PERCENT TOTALLY IN LOVE with Drew's vision of a family that reads LOTS of excellent children's literature together, just as a part of life, without putting Narnia into the curriculum and making it into "schoolwork" instead of one of life's pleasures.

this is my ideal for our family -- and we are working on it -- i am striving to pick out better books for the boys at the lib, books we don't have but are worth reading, and i am also trying to make sure i get out teh "big books" as the boys call them -- the Phoo book, the fairy tale books, the big nice ones -- adn that we read . I look forward more read-a-louds .. like Paddenton the Bear, but Big Brother is not there yet with "no picture" books

That said, being a scientifically-oriented family, we've got a lot of ground to cover in the sciences and I do plan to do a full year of it starting Grade 1 with biology. I guess in all that time I'm NOT teaching Religious Studies, I can teach evolution. But our four formal subjects in the first grade are going to be mathematics, history, Latin and biology. Multum non multa is a very sound principle IMO, particularly for a for a child who has an aptitude for figuring out phonetical and grammatical rules without plugging through workbooks. It will be so much less stressful to have four subjects, I can hardly wait!
I have just requested The Latin-Centered Curriculum by Drew Campbell
A Homeschooler's Guide to a Classical Education on ILL -- so I hope Miss Annettee can find it for us soon ...

Quote:
and I printed out a chart from on-line that gave a correspondence between CHOTW and SOTW so I can intersperse a few chapters here and
where did you find this??

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#132 of 212 Old 02-16-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
I have just requested The Latin-Centered Curriculum by Drew Campbell
A Homeschooler's Guide to a Classical Education on ILL -- so I hope Miss Annettee can find it for us soon ...

where did you find this??
I cannot get the page to load, but it is from Paula's Archives (if you Google that, you may be able to get to the page; I'm not sure why it isn't coming up today).

#133 of 212 Old 02-16-2010, 03:13 PM

We just got back from Estrella War, and so are officially beginning our spring semester this week. DD is excited about jumping back into things, especially since I got her a new math text--she wanted a textbook, one which she had to copy problems out of to work them, rather than a workbook. So, I got Practical Arithmetics, a reprinted textbook originally published in (I think) the 1930's. It was inexpensive, and if it works for her covers elementary math up through fourth grade or so. We'll still use Miquon and Living Math resources, but if she wants to do math like Sister Bear on the Berenstain Bears, that's fine with me.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#134 of 212 Old 02-16-2010, 06:42 PM

A BUNCH of great info and schedules for SOTW and other books:

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/SOTWmenu.htm

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#135 of 212 Old 02-16-2010, 06:45 PM

Specifically CHOTW and SOTW

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/chowsotw.htm

#136 of 212 Old 02-16-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
A BUNCH of great info and schedules for SOTW and other books:

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/SOTWmenu.htm
Quote:
Thanks for doing that! I could not get her pages to open this morning. I love her website.

#137 of 212 Old 02-17-2010, 05:29 AM

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#138 of 212 Old 02-17-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Thanks for doing that! I could not get her pages to open this morning. I love her website.
No problem I always have forgotten about her site. (bookmarked and could not again find ) Lately I have been pouring over it!

I am setting up a schedule for my children combining many different sources such as MOH, SOTW, AO, and OFE. Her site has been a big help.

#139 of 212 Old 02-17-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
i could not get this to open this morning -- but i will try again

Quote:
I am setting up a schedule for my children combining many different sources such as MOH, SOTW, AO, and OFE. Her site has been a big help.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#140 of 212 Old 02-17-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
i could not get this to open this morning -- but i will try again
Try it now. It is working for me.

#141 of 212 Old 02-17-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Try it now. It is working for me.
how COOL

#142 of 212 Old 02-17-2010, 08:53 PM

I've been having trouble with that website, too. Maybe since the link was posted here, the 'site has been bombarded and can't handle all the visits from MDC mamas?

I tried last night and it wouldn't load. Then I tried this morning and it was fine. But I tried again this afternoon and was having trouble getting it to load again. Ah well.

We're still doing pretty good when it comes to getting back into our groove. I'm struggling at getting our routine worked out. I've had certain things set for doing in the morning, but it doesn't seem to work out the way that I have it planned out. So I've been trying to tweak it so it's more feasible.

Right now, our schedule looks like this:

(We school Tuesday through Saturday because that is PeachyPapa's work schedule.)

Everyday, our morning routine:
KiwiBoy
Math -- Miquon and Singapore Math, supplementing with Living Math
Language Arts -- Handwriting Without Tears, All About Spelling Level One, First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind 1 (we alternate the days on this, but I try to make sure HWT is done everyday because it's one of his weakest areas, but at the same time he doesn't mind it that much -- we do two of these per day)
Latin -- Song School Latin

CherryPie
Math -- Life of Fred, Living Math, and supplementing with Singapore
Language Arts -- copywork, dictation, All About Spelling, Michael Clay Thompson (we alternate these depending on the day -- usually doing two per day)
Latin -- Latin for Children Primer: A

After lunch we do History together on Tues, Wed, and Fri. On Thursdays we aren't home in the afternoon because we have music lessons. I haven't decided if we'll do something when we get home from the lessons, but if we do, it will probably be science. And on Saturdays, we'll do science after lunch. For right now, I'm fairly certain we'll be using Building Foundations for Scientific Understanding for our science studies.

Our artist and composer studies will be done along with history.

I want to fit in nature studies. Maybe we'll do that on Saturday morning? History and Science are both important to PeachyPapa and I so I don't think I want to replace either of those with nature studies.

Living Math and science will also be somewhat combined with our history studies, as I plan to introduce mathematicians and scientists (that made a difference in their field) during their time in history.

So, I'm still struggling with balancing it all out, but I think I'm getting closer!

... then of course, when I think I have it all figured out, I'll find something else that I want to add in, (like religion/mythology is next in line) and I'm going to have to figure it out all over again!

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#143 of 212 Old 02-18-2010, 01:08 AM

You sound like me! I figure if I keep reading LCC, it will eventually help me streamline enough. But, I think for now we have a pretty good flow (behavior issues not-with-standing! )

#144 of 212 Old 02-18-2010, 10:11 AM

we have not started formally yet -- but i can't stop finding resources i think would be fun / good ... and more and more subjects i feel we should cover

#145 of 212 Old 02-22-2010, 06:13 PM

Giving us a bump to say Happy Monday.

I played with our schedule this weekend (even printing out two spreadsheets - one LCC inspired and one WTM inspired) and think I have it where it works. (As part of working on our schedules, dh and I decided to drop PE - Fridays are already very short days, or once a month for art coop, nonexistent days and having to be out of the house mid-morning Wednesdays and not returning until afternoon was making me feel pressured to fit it all in 3 days a week; we have 2 weeks left and then no more and I'm feeling a lot lighter because of it. It doesn't help that baseball season is in full swing and we'll be at the park/ball field 4-5 days a week between two boys.)

That said, I decided to go back to the way WWE was written (I had been modifying to have 4 days of copywork, plus penmanship for ds#2 and sentence building for ds#1). It works great because days 1 & 3 are narration for ds#1 and copywork for ds#2; days 2 & 4 are copywork for ds#1 and narration for ds#2. On their "off" days (narration days), ds#1 will do sentence building (part of AAS starting in mid-level 3 - I dictate 3 spelling words and then he has to make up a sentence), and ds#2 will do HWOT.

Plus, even though I love the LCC literature selections for primary grades (LCC vol. 2), I wanted a bit more on Fridays (our literature days), so I'm making the literature selections part of family read alouds (probably Sunday nights), and instead doing a mix between StoryTime Treasures from Memoria Press and First Favorites vol. 2 from Veritas Press. They will be a bit "easy" for ds#1, but I plan on having him do more narration (eventually having him write out the narration/comprehension questions himself as his writing strength grows). Plus, there are activities/drawing pages every now and then for ds#3 to with us. We love the books that are used, and both ds#1 and ds#2 can use the same books for reading practice (for ds#1, it's a matter of building fluency/speed).

So, here is the new schedule. I hope it works.

Monday:
Latin
Math
English Studies (Spelling, Writing, Grammar, Recitation/Memory)
History/Geography
Reading

Tuesday:
Latin
Math
Spanish
Religion
Reading

Wednesday:
Latin
Math
Science
Reading

Thursday:
Latin
Math
Nature Study
Reading

Friday:
Literature
Spanish
Math Games/Computer work (keyboarding, Math Blasters, etc.)
Reading
(Ds#2 usually has skating lessons during the Games/Computer time.)

#146 of 212 Old 02-22-2010, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ladies, I am looking for some really nice wall charts - a sticker timeline chart for SOTW to use for the next twelve years and a sticker taxonomy chart for our Grade One Biology study, which will consist of an exhaustive review of the animal kingdom. (I have never met a kid who loves animals like this kid does.)

Anyhow, I want awesome, beautiful charts, and I am prepared to spend $$ for the right ones. What have you seen that you absolutely love?
#147 of 212 Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 AM

i requested latin Centered Crr by ILL .. waiting......waiting .... waiting ....

#148 of 212 Old 02-24-2010, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
Ladies, I am looking for some really nice wall charts - a sticker timeline chart for SOTW to use for the next twelve years and a sticker taxonomy chart for our Grade One Biology study, which will consist of an exhaustive review of the animal kingdom. (I have never met a kid who loves animals like this kid does.)

Anyhow, I want awesome, beautiful charts, and I am prepared to spend $$ for the right ones. What have you seen that you absolutely love?
Hm, I don't know of any really, really great charts for that- I'll let you know if I come across anything!

#149 of 212 Old 02-24-2010, 01:54 PM

I just blogged about timelines yesterday, so I'm copying what I wrote. I too, was looking for the nicest as well, and price didn't matter. I wanted to get as secular as I could.

Timelines

I like to try everything, so we have quite a few timelines on hand. My favorites are:
  • Classical Education Laminated Timeline Set - This is preprinted, but it looks nice on the wall. They were supposed to be coming out with a new version this year, but think they sold out right away. They restock quickly, if I recall from last year. See them up here: http://satorismiles.com/homeschool-r...story-hangout/
  • Blank Timeline Set - I got a whole set of prehistory though modern, blank timeline set, with stickers, but I cannot find the link right now. I think they're re-making this one as well. See a sample we have here:
    http://satorismiles.com/2010/01/30/m...th-dymo-label/
  • Add-A-Century Timeline - Awesome huge binder with a timeline as flexible as a paper one can get! Also comes out so you can hang on the wall.
  • Easy Timeline Creator software – Just got this, this is so easy to use, I find myself really getting my money’s worth out of this software program. I can print out the timelines as needed.
  • TimelineMaker – Trying this trial version out, and it is even better than Easy Timeline Creator! More features, flexibility, and more! Student download version is $49.95.
I just started using the timeline software, and am finding myself using these all the time! So much fun.

As for the other, I googled and found this quickly, but it doesn't have stickers...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0072917865/...5&linkCode=asn

We made our own very simple animal classification chart.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#150 of 212 Old 02-28-2010, 07:45 PM

I received LCC and I'm really enjoying it so far. I liked what it had to say about languages (I am still internally struggling over whether or not we should do Spanish now - we live in Los Angeles so we're surrounded by it but a big part of me wonders if we should just concentrate on Latin - and later Greek - and DD can tackle something like Spanish at an older age.) The author suggests waiting on the whole but does mention that it may be wise to start younger if you live in an area where that specific language is heavily used. Hrmmmm....

He also really helped me figure out what we need to do regarding her reading. She's reading at about a 2nd-3rd grade level so I was confused as to what we should do in the Fall (right now the phonics/reading stuff is all child-led/unschooly.) The author said that once the child's reading independently that time should just be set aside for reading (and phonics instruction typically extends 2 years so not much beyond the second grade level - although YMMV, of course.) Anyway, that's pretty obvious but I was slow on the uptake. DH was an early reader but not like this so we have been a little bowled over at how fast she picked it up.

In really love how Classical Education and CM really compliment each other. This year we are doing FIAR, which has been fun, but I am really excited about officially starting our K year in the Fall.

**Kat**

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page