#181 of 212 Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Jessica - our HSing looks so similar.
It really does!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#182 of 212 Old 08-18-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post
MyLittleWonders- I spent the almost walking/newly walking stage mostly with the little one on my lap or at my breast during school, lol. Now she is more demanding of my attention and wants to be part of everything we are doing. Which is great, but sometimes tricky. Like when she wants to grab the microscope, take other people's whiteboards even when she has her own, climb on the table, throw the math manipulatives, etc. She isn't easily distracted at all. She doesn't do the booster seat, but I may try it again it at the school table and see if it helps.
Oh my! The last time I had an infant/toddler, I was only dealing with K and 1st for my oldest and speech therapy for my middle son. This will be a whole new adventure for us. Maybe this time we'll be granted a calm, easy-going baby (one can dream, right?!). Much luck to you as the school year begins.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#183 of 212 Old 08-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Yes! We're starting Kinder the week of Labor Day.

RS1
Reading aloud chapter books
Copywork/HWT 1st grade
Narration
Bird Study
Nature Study
Composer Study
Artist Study

Religion Studies (we're secular, this is to learn about various religions)

Plus we plan to participate in 2 HS co-ops.

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
#184 of 212 Old 08-18-2010, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is my 3rd year homeschooling dd1, I'm trying to move to a more classical approach.

Here's what we're doing-

Latin- Latina Christiana I
English- Classical Writing (Aesop A), Catholic Heritage grammar and spelling for 3rd grade, and she's reading Black Ships Before Troy (children's Illiad) and Wanderings of Odyessus; memoria press cursive and print copy books
Math- MCP
Religion- Faith and Life and Christian Studies I (memoria press)
History- D'Aulaire's Greek myths course (mp) and whatever the American history course from Sonlight is (I can't remember the name and I don't want to get up and go look )
#185 of 212 Old 08-18-2010, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh, science, that's what I forgot! We're doing Behold and See 3 from CHC. Also Art Pac 3 from them.
#186 of 212 Old 08-19-2010, 10:21 AM

I'm looking for advice on how long to spend on our science themes. WE are in K, and will be using the Ambleside Online program, so these year we are just being pretty informal. We'll only be doing science about once a week.

I've decided to start with astronomy, because DD1 just had a trip to the planetarium ( she calls it the "star aquarium") and she really enjoyed it. So for week one I have a book about the sun, and then we'll be going on a trip and she'll be able to look at the starts out in the country with her dad.

But I'm not sure if we should plan to stay with this for a month, or until Christmas, or what? I'll be flexible in any case, but I'd like an idea and also need something to write don to send with the registration sheet.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#187 of 212 Old 08-24-2010, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I put together a schedule for the year based on Ambleside Online 2nd grade and Story of the World Vol. 2, as well as living books from other sources.

It's online at https://docs.google.com/document/edi...IxljkOak&hl=en if anyone else happens to be interested

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#188 of 212 Old 08-24-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post
I put together a schedule for the year based on Ambleside Online 2nd grade and Story of the World Vol. 2, as well as living books from other sources.

It's online at https://docs.google.com/document/edi...IxljkOak&hl=en if anyone else happens to be interested
Thanks for sharing Looks great!

blogging.jpg

#189 of 212 Old 08-26-2010, 07:33 PM

Location: Learning about ancient history along with the kiddos
Hi all,

Just joining in.

We've been doing K this last year and should be moving into first grade but life circumstances have gotten in the way. We'll probably not be starting until sometime in October and will try to make up the time next summer.

Still, I'm having fun planning and am thinking about the following:

--Ordinary Parents' Guide to Teaching Reading (continued, we're on lesson 40-something right now)
--Story of the World 1 and activity book, plus supplemental readings and definitely audio CDs
--History Pockets for fun
--Still trying to figure out how we should do timelines. The life problems mentioned above necessitate moving so I'm not sure how much wall space we'll have available.
--Singapore Math 2A/2B and all supplementals (just finishing 1B now)
--Ordering Classics in the Classroom for reading lists
--Handwriting Without Tears
--Real Science 4 Kids (trying to decide whether to do one science area at a time or rotate through Bio, Chem, and Physics each week?)
--Philosophy for Young Thinkers
--Museums, Muses and Me: A Museum Sketchbook (for fun)
--Peters projection accurate map of the world

Books for me to read:

--Laying Down the Rails: A Charlotte Mason Habits Handbook
--Deconstructing Penguins
--Mapmaking with Children: Sense of Place Education for the Elementary Years

Chores: I'm considering Accountable Kids

Whew. I'm chomping at the bit to get going with more planning, but since we might move anytime in the next month I don't want to order this important stuff!
#190 of 212 Old 08-26-2010, 08:09 PM

Welcome avent! May life slow down and calm down a bit as things settle for you.

How is Real Science 4 Kids set up? Does it cover only one branch of science at a time (bio, chem, physics) or are they integrated? If it only does one at a time, I'd probably do only one at a time and make the connections within that particular discipline, and then move on to another, make connections within that one and see what connections can be made between it and the first. That's just my two cents though; I am only going with what works for my boys and my brain.

I'm curious how Laying Down the Rails is ... I have bookmarked it as a possible purchase. We are more Well Trained Mind/Latin-Centered Curriculum here, and definitely not religious, but I do love the Charlotte Mason stuff too and try to at least incorporate some of it in theory. I'm also going to have to Google Mapmaking with Children ... that sounds very interesting.

#191 of 212 Old 08-28-2010, 11:55 AM

Come back and post more, everyone!

I homeschool in a co-op type thing with another mom so we have 2 - 6 year olds, a 5 year old, a 4 1/2 year old, and an 18 month old trailing behind. We do History Odyssey together once a week and it seems like our lives revolve around history but the kids are having so much fun and learning so much. We're on the ancients, right smack in the middle of Egypt right now. I have clay all over my patio from our Egyptian "excavations" yesterday.

We're doing 1st and 2nd grade science from WTM to keep the elder 6 year old busy enough. So we do one animal and one Earth feature once a week, read books, watch DVDs if we can, and write reports about it.

And then seperately, I'm working on some basic readers and Critical Thinking math books for my kids.

My goal is also to read The Hobbit to them by Xmas. Eep. I need to get working on that one.

We also do the Little Passports kits for fun.

Swim lessons start twice a week for us and that's about all we're going to do outside the home. DD wants to take dance lessons so we might look into that too but I really, really hate running all over town.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#192 of 212 Old 08-29-2010, 09:34 AM

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#193 of 212 Old 08-29-2010, 03:12 PM

We are finishing our 6th week of school, and I think I have almost the rest of the school year finished in terms of planning. I decided last week that I wanted to plan/file one activity per week for nature study. So, that's the last of it.

I think partly because everything has been planned ahead of time (and partly because dh was still on summer break), things have gone very smoothly so far. This coming week was supposed to be a full week off for us (according to my calendar), but I didn't want that many idle days so early in the school year, so we did not do any of our electives last week, and so we'll have only a 3-day week this week to finish up week 6 - math every day, then one day of history (2 lessons), one day of science (2 lessons) and one day with US history, art, and nature study. It'll give us a 5-day weekend for Labor Day before we start up again for week 7.

#194 of 212 Old 08-29-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
We are finishing our 6th week of school, and I think I have almost the rest of the school year finished in terms of planning. I decided last week that I wanted to plan/file one activity per week for nature study. So, that's the last of it.
Nature study. *sigh* I am such a failure when it comes to nature study. I even have the Outdoor Hour Challenges printed out, but that tends to be the one thing we never get around to every week. I really need to work on that.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#195 of 212 Old 08-29-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
My goal is also to read The Hobbit to them by Xmas. Eep. I need to get working on that one.

Swim lessons start twice a week for us and that's about all we're going to do outside the home. DD wants to take dance lessons so we might look into that too but I really, really hate running all over town.
What about an audio version of The Hobbit? We've gone through several great books the past couple of months by listening in the car. We've done The Secret Garden, Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, and now we're working on The Count of Monte Cristo. It might help you hate running all over town a little less.
librivox and lit2go have many free classics on audio. I haven't seen The Hobbit for free but perhaps an audible.com subscription would be worthwhile or check the library. We recently found flash drives on sale at Target with a free audio book offer. So we paid less than $10 for the flash drive and got an almost $30 audio book for free.
#196 of 212 Old 08-29-2010, 05:15 PM

An audio book would be a good idea except that we really don't spend much time in the car. We have a farm. And we're all pretty much homebodies. We have an errand day about twice a month. By the time we get back to the car, it'll be 2 weeks later.

We'll be doing swim lessons but carpooling for them. And 5 kids are not going to listen to a book on the way to swimming lessons at Great Wolf Lodge. That just won't happen.

DH drives everyday but he doens't want to listen to The Hobbit. That would interfere with NPR.

I have a question for you all - has teaching this way enriched YOUR life at all? We're right smack in the middle of Egypt right now and our latest National Geographic was all about King Tut's DNA. My DD and I fought over the magazine. But it fascinated me how much we've learned about Tut in the last 5 years, since one of the DVDs we loved was produced. I find myself and my co-schooling mama friend getting into the deepest discussions about stuff. It makes me want to get the grown up book but I don't know when we'd have time to do it!!

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#197 of 212 Old 08-29-2010, 05:17 PM

We seem to kind of fit the classical category as well as anything else. LOL We're a bit further down the educational path but I'll post anyway!

My dd will be doing:
LA - books from www.rfwp.com - Magic Lens 2 (grammar), Word Within the Word 2 (vocab), Academic Writing 1, Poetry and Humanity. For spelling we're finishing levels 6 and 7 of Sequential Spelling. Poetry finished in less than a week, may do next level in the spring or not if overwhelmed with everything else.
Latin - High school Latin 100 from Lone Pine Classical online class
Spanish - OSU Spanishonline Spanish 2 now, Spanish 3 this Spring
Critical Thinking 1 - from the critical thinking co.
Math - Intermediate Algebra from www.artofproblemsolving.com
History - Finish reading books (currently The Odyssey) from History Odyssey Ancients level 3 then on to middle ages, assign various short papers to go along with academic writing 1. Prepare National history day paper.
Science - Watch physics and chemistry related episodes of Joy of Science, read The Manga Guide to Physics and Electricity and Magnetism, The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry, as well as a couple of selected Isaac Asimov books, labs designed by me (still need to work up most of these!) a few problem sets, one or two short papers.
Literature - mostly course related reading this fall plus audio books together in the car - currently The Count of Monte Cristo. Lord of the Rings Literature this spring.
Programming - Intro to Programming class at www.artofproblemsolving.com teaches Python; ends in December.
Music - she plays piano and has taught herself the penny whistle. Have a few music history resources but not sure we will have much time to get to them.
Art - mostly finished over the summer - watched How Art Made the World, attended week long Art in Nature camp, and a week of day camp doing clay work on the wheel. She draws constantly at home anyway - mostly Manga.

I'm working on record keeping and transcript making!
#198 of 212 Old 08-30-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
Nature study. *sigh* I am such a failure when it comes to nature study. I even have the Outdoor Hour Challenges printed out, but that tends to be the one thing we never get around to every week. I really need to work on that.
I am so right there with you. We actually did pretty well the beginning of last year. I went with the idea from Ambleside about studying birds every year and we learned quite a bit over the fall. We also became so much more aware of the birds in our neighborhood and birds at the park/nature center. The boys were very into it as well. And then, I stopped. I ran out of ideas or steam or something. Then, I decided in the spring that I wanted to somehow "wrap" up our study of birds for the year (after not doing anything resembling nature study or birds for 3-4 months!), and the older two boys did a simple bird report that I made. But, that was all. I think having the challenges in my weekly files, plus any needed nature journal pages or such will keep me motivated. So far we have finished our subjects because they are in the weekly folder - I think having them stare at me keeps me better motivated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post

I have a question for you all - has teaching this way enriched YOUR life at all? We're right smack in the middle of Egypt right now and our latest National Geographic was all about King Tut's DNA. My DD and I fought over the magazine. But it fascinated me how much we've learned about Tut in the last 5 years, since one of the DVDs we loved was produced. I find myself and my co-schooling mama friend getting into the deepest discussions about stuff. It makes me want to get the grown up book but I don't know when we'd have time to do it!!
Even though my oldest is only in fourth grade, I feel like I've already learned things I never did in school. Plus I am so loving learning Latin ... I love finding the Latin in words that we use all the time, in words that we find in our studies, and in words that I find in books I'm reading. For instance, I understand now *why* the valedictorian is called the valedictorian, and while reading something a while ago, I knew what "puerile" meant even though I had never heard/read the word before. So, I feel I'm finally building the foundation for future learning that I never did when I was young.

#199 of 212 Old 08-30-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I think having the challenges in my weekly files, plus any needed nature journal pages or such will keep me motivated. So far we have finished our subjects because they are in the weekly folder - I think having them stare at me keeps me better motivated.
That's working for all other subjects, but three weeks into school I'm still moving my nature study to the next week's folder.

Quote:
Even though my oldest is only in fourth grade, I feel like I've already learned things I never did in school.
Seriously! How bad was my public school education in what was considered one of the top schools in the area if my first grader has already had a better history education than I did in 13 years of schooling?!

#200 of 212 Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 AM

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#201 of 212 Old 08-30-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Seriously! How bad was my public school education in what was considered one of the top schools in the area if my first grader has already had a better history education than I did in 13 years of schooling?!
I had this exact same thought!!! Anyone ever heard of Sargon?? Seriously, shouldn't we all know who the first world conqueror was???

Jen

#202 of 212 Old 08-30-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
That's working for all other subjects, but three weeks into school I'm still moving my nature study to the next week's folder. \
I'm not listening! My first nature study isn't filed until next week, so it'll be a better test of my theory. The only downside is I'm afraid it will be bumped every week as it's scheduled for Friday. I don't like doing school on Friday (I already have a couple subjects on Friday, but our main core is done by Thursday).

#203 of 212 Old 08-31-2010, 02:20 PM

Subbing. We're in our second week for this year and are fairly classical, but I go eclectic whenever and wherever it looks like we need to.

DD1 (7yo) is a fascinating kid who makes it impossible to pin a grade level on. We're all over the map with what grade level material we're using in each area as she's accelerated certain areas and in need of remediation in others. The adventure of homeschooling a 2e kid.

For DD1-
Language Arts- Michael Clay Thompson's Island level from RFWP, All About Spelling- I think we'll work through at least Level 2 this year, Suppose the Wolf Was an Octopus K-2- also from RFWP, Write Source and Handwriting Without Tears- Printing Power
Math & Logic- Primary Mathematics- finishing up 1B and moving into 2A soon, Gift of Logic Book 0 and maybe Book 1
History- History Odyssey Early Modern Level 2 and SOTW3- history overload, but she adores it and we belong to a History Club that uses SOTW, otherwise, we'd just use HO
Science- Sciencesaurus and Physical Science Daybooks from Great Source Press
Latin- Song School Latin
Philosophy for Young Thinkers
Comparative religion study using whatever materials I dig up- a passion of hers

My 4yo twins demanded school work this year so when they ask for it, we're working through the early Kumon workbooks related to pencil control and early handwriting, using FIAR vol. 1, Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading and Saxon K.

I hear ya about knowing more world history now than I ever studied or retained in my own schooling. We're only two years in, so I can't even imagine what sort of history whiz I'll be after having trekked through world history a total of four cycles by the time I'm totally done homeschooling!

Crunchy Mama to the Triad of Chaos-- DD1 (9/03) & the Twinadoes- DS and DD2 (6/06)
#204 of 212 Old 09-02-2010, 09:57 AM

Were here too. I need to read back, there are so many pages
I'm struggling with finding a math program. It's our first year h/s. I bought Saxon 1, but now keep reading horrible things about it. I looked at some Singapore books the other day and then had to go read about it. It seemed a 50/50 on preference, but I'm seeing better things about Singapore. Now I'm not sure what to do. On the evaluation, ds is about half way through Singapore 1, and that's where we are in Saxon. I do not like how Saxon jumps around-does anyone know if Singapore does that?

And of course I got stuck on the whole spelling/phonics deal. At first I wanted Phonics Road to Reading and Spelling, but then went with FLL and am using Phonics Pathways, but do not have a spelling. I was going to pick up the Workout A/B books. I really like the concept of the Phonics Road-especially the rule tunes But after getting a look at them irl, she doesn't encourage reading until the 2nd level. I mean, the kids are allowed to read if they want, and I understand the spelling/reading connection. But in WTM, they say to start reading as soon as the child can/knows the letter sounds.

We're using SOTW-will be starting next week, after I break it all down into lessons in a binder (don't want to have to keep flipping through the book). I think SOTW will work for now.
And we are going to use Elemental Science Biology.
#205 of 212 Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 AM

MLW, we added stuff incrementaly. I mean, we started out our school year doing history for a couple of weeks, then added science, then math a little quicker. This means we'll finish HO a bit earlier than everything else but so what? We'll have more time to finish up the CT math books then.

#206 of 212 Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 AM

Oh. And I have a litle mama brag to do:

I worry that all of the history stuff isn't sinking in because DD is a child on the move all.the.time.

But yesterday, she came up to me with a really good drawing of the scales with the feather of Truth and a heart. She didn't get Anubis exactly right because she said, "These jackal headed gods are REALLY hard to draw."

I don't know why but that struck me as really funny. Darn those jackal headed gods for being so hard to draw!

And of course, right now she's having a tantrum because she can't have a popsicle for breakfast. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to pull the school day outta this one.

What are your kids loving about school this year? What are you all doing today?

We've got to finish up our HO for group sharing tomorrow. And then we have to do a report on caves for science. I'd also really like to get some math in and we may open France from the passports program.

#207 of 212 Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 AM

We really are still figuring everything out...not sure that'll happen anytime soon! I've discovered that my kiddos are opposites (well, in many ways I knew that, but not in school). DD likes language and science; DS likes math and history. They're odd little combos, I think, but I think it will keep us well-rounded. I'll be honest that science probably would get short shrift if one of the kids didn't like it.

So we are studying 2 different history paths right now. We are reading about Daniel Boone. He's buried about a mile from us, which prompted a big interest. We're also doing a unit on medieval times, and I think that's something we probably will stretch out through September and October. We're doing K this year, so I don't feel obligated to start with the Ancients.

I'm hoping to do 2-month history units - probably the American Revolution/birth of a nation; the Renaissance period (just because I love it); and then I don't know - whatever strikes our fancy. Plus they seem to enjoy me reading biographies to them, so I will continue to do that. I want to give a broad overview of the idea of history so that we are ready for a full history curriculum next year - probably HO but not sure.

We are really random with science. DD said she likes "hummingbirds, all birds really, butterflies, and hermit crabs." We've been reading and talking about sea creatures, and we learned about the butterfly life cycle. I saw where you can order a butterfly in a cocoon, so I might do that or visit a butterfly garden. We have one about 1.5 hours away. We made hummingbird food this morning and watched a video about hummingbird migration. I'm just not organized about the science part.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#208 of 212 Old 09-02-2010, 03:17 PM

Just a thought-what about starting a monthly CE thread? This one goes back to last year! We could start now, since Sept just started.
#209 of 212 Old 09-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Great idea

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#210 of 212 Old 09-02-2010, 05:09 PM

Ok, I started a September Classical/CM thread.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page