Forum Jump: 

#211 of 212 Old 09-05-2010, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do love our Classical threads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
MLW, we added stuff incrementaly. I mean, we started out our school year doing history for a couple of weeks, then added science, then math a little quicker. This means we'll finish HO a bit earlier than everything else but so what? We'll have more time to finish up the CT math books then.
^ That is how we are starting out this year, too, just adding a little at a time.

I originally intended to be year-round hs-ers, but this summer was just too crazy, so I let it go and she had the traditional summer off. But we have lost a lot of ground in the area she struggles with: reading

So we started back hitting Phonics Pathways harder than ever before, starting with page 1--I previously used the book just as a resource, but I am panicking a little because she was struggling with C-V-Cs after making a ton of progress last year! I am beginning to suspect a visual processing issue or maybe something like dyslexia? I'll save that for another thread, though.

I also found this rockin' Little Critter Spectrum workbook, grabbed the 1st grade one, and she is loving it! So that is a huge relief because she struggles so much with reading, it's hard to find materials that don't intimidate her.

Then we added in our beloved math we are going through the Singapore 1B book and finishing up anything that was left-over as review while we wait on our Grade 2 stuff to arrive. We have some packets we can work on (money, time, fractions) to keep us busy til our next Miquon/Singapore combo gets here.

Next came our Classical Languages which is going GREAT It's our favorite subject. We're using SSL and Hey Andrew Teach...Greek but she makes a main lesson book, we use finger puppets, this is our first week back at it, and she is really retaining a lot!

At the end of the week, we managed to add in Science-just the Human Body.

This year, I'm trying something different in that we are doing Units for everything except Math and Reading, and that I'm setting up "stations" or Montessori-ish shelf areas for the Science, Geography, Biography, and Art---veering a little from the Classical method, I guess. So I'll just periodically "present" stuff to her from the units and then leave the materials out for her to have Choice time in those subjects.

Can't wait to go back over this thread and see how/what everyone's doing!

Happy and in love with my family!
#212 of 212 Old 09-07-2010, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Craft please be sure to join us in the fall thread

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page