How about another Classical/CM thread? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 212 Old 11-02-2009, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
'cause it's been a while since the old one was updated. For people who are considering classical education or have questions, or those of us doing it, and those just using parts.
My DD1 has been having a great year. We're doing Prima Latina, Story of the World: Ancients, Writing with Ease, Primary Math, Spelling Power, Cursive First, Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching reading, Usborne internet linked encyclopedia for science, and First Language Lessons. We'll add in Artistic Pursuits as soon as I get the supplies.
It sounds like a lot but most days school takes between 1-2 hours. We're using short lessons from Charlotte Mason. And lots of free reading, crafting, and play the rest of the day.
What's everyone else doing? Are things going well? Are you tweaking your plans, or were the beginning of the year ideas spot on?

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#2 of 212 Old 11-02-2009, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll join =) We have crept our way over to CE and it's been a great fit for us. Next year we'll do some tweaking, but what we have now is working for us:
sonlight core 1 for history, geography, readers, First Language Lessons, Explode the Code, CHC Spelling, Math U See, Seton Science 2 (Astronomy), Artistic Pursuits, Color the Classics... I feel as though I'm forgetting things but that must be preK stuff I do with my little - or that SL actually has so much bulk but 'Core 1' sounds light... Either way, next year we hope to add Prima Latina as well. And I think I'll switch to a Biblioplan so I can keep all of us on the same cycle.

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#3 of 212 Old 11-02-2009, 11:47 AM

I'm here. I still hang out on the Eclectic thread, but we are classical/CM people. We're doing History Odyssey/SOTW vol. 2 (Middle Ages), Miquon math, All About Spelling, ETC, Hooked on Phonics, Classical Writing Primer (mostly ds#1; ds#2 is doing a mix of CW modified and WWE), FLL, Song School Latin, nature study, physics (using mostly non-fiction picture books and Lego Education simple machine build kits), and Meet the Masters (1x a week) and Art in Story (when I get around to it - art is the first thing to get dropped around here ).

In the spring and/or summer, ds#1 will start Classical Writing: Aesop and Latin for Children. I want to make sure he is really firm with his writing and reading first.

History I try to do 2x a week; science and nature I try to do 2x a week. Latin for now is just singing songs and playing memory with the vocabulary. Our "core" (L/A and math) is done daily, with AAS being 3x a week and ETC 2x a week. In all, between my reading to them, their practicing their reading with me, our core, and whatever other subject, it takes 2-3 hours, spread out between morning and just after lunch.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#4 of 212 Old 11-02-2009, 04:25 PM

I am here

---nurseing a 2yo standing between me and the computer ---

we are jsut in the learning stages ... Theo will not have to be offically accounted for to the state untill 2011 .. and with his challanges and peronality adn ALL BOY status we are not going to push too much seat work till a soild 6 years of age or so -- maybe later ...

here to learn all I can -- espcailly with regard to teaching multi-ages together as much as possible -- the boys re only 23 months apart adn with Theo's issues i am fairly sure at least for the first few years it will be more like twins ..

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#5 of 212 Old 11-02-2009, 04:36 PM

We're inspired by classical education and Charlotte Mason ideas. I'm piecing together Ambleside Online and The Well Trained Mind ideas that feel right to our family.

Currently Nik (who is 6 and doing a combination K/1st grade) is doing the following:
Math: MEP Math (with occasional free Math Mammoth worksheets to help illustrate concepts in different ways)
Reading: choosing books on his own to read to me
Spelling: lists from Super Teacher Worksheets (IMO spelling is unnecessary, but he enjoys it!)
Copywork: The Months by Sara Coleridge from Simply Charlotte Mason
Grammar: reading Grammar-Land by M.L. Nesbit and playing a lot of Mad Libs
Writing: he continues to spend at least an hour a day writing and illustrating his own books
US History: pieced together from various resources, we are starting Columbus this week
Ancient World History: also pieced together, we are currently studying ancient Egypt
Geography: mostly corresponding with history, we are currently studying the Great Lakes (and reading Paddle to the Sea) and the continent of Africa
Science: we are using a combination of Classic Life Science from eequalsmcq.com and R.E.A.L Science Odyssey Level 1 Life Science (scroll to the bottom for the free "try before you buy" segment) I'm trying to figure out which program fits our family best so I can buy the "right" one next year. I think RSO will be it.
Nature Study: Outdoor Hour Challenges from Handbook of Nature Study blog, keeping a bird notebook of the birds we read about in The Burgess Bird Book for Children
Literature: mostly Ambleside selections
Poetry: Ambleside
Artist Study: Sandro Botticelli
Visual Arts: he'll be finishing the last page in his Art Book this week, not sure what we'll move on to next
Composer Study: using Classics For Kids, currently studying Vivaldi

Plus we're working on the Formidable List of Attainments for a Child of Six and trying to incorporate some handicrafts. Looking at this list it looks like we do too much, but we keep things short and simple unless he's really interested. I promise he isn't chained to a desk for hours a day! We do math (15 minutes?), reading (15 minutes), writing (however much he wants to do), poetry (5 minutes), and literature (Mom reads, approx. 1 hour) every day but the other subjects are all once or twice per week.

Am I allowed to post a link to my blog, or is that a no-no now?

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#6 of 212 Old 11-02-2009, 04:46 PM

I guess we fall in this category. I have a 3rd grade dd, a Kindy dd and a 1yo ds. Here's what we do

3rd grade - Cursive First (just about finished with this, so on to copywork); Writing with Ease 2; First Language Lessons 3; Explode the Code; All About Spelling; Lively Latin; Singapore Math; History Odyssey with living books from AO; REAL Science Odyssey Earth; AO reading list for Literature, Geography, Natural History and Poetry and Art; Suzuki classical Guitar.

Kindy - FIAR, HOP 1st grade, Singapore Early Bird Math, Cursive First

Teddy (1yo) - pretending to do everything his sisters are doing plus fifty thousand books an hour and duplos all over the house, and climbing on everything in sight.
#7 of 212 Old 11-02-2009, 10:22 PM

Jessica, how are you liking Lively Latin? I went back and forth for a while trying to decide between LL and LfC. I haven't bought anything yet (I'm thinking spring) but think I'm going with LfC, but am curious to hear your views on LL.

#8 of 212 Old 11-02-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Jessica, how are you liking Lively Latin? I went back and forth for a while trying to decide between LL and LfC. I haven't bought anything yet (I'm thinking spring) but think I'm going with LfC, but am curious to hear your views on LL.
This is the first Latin program we have tried, so I can't really compare, but my dd loves Lively Latin. It is broken up into nice short and varied lessons. There is vocabulary, latin grammar, derivatives, Roman history and art history. We do one short lesson a day, so we are moving pretty slowly, but the BBI will probably be plenty for us for at least two years. And, it is very easy to teach. I purhased the ebook, and everything we need is right there in front of us (with the exception of the vocabulary lesson which we listen to online). I think it is a fantastic, user friendly program.
#9 of 212 Old 11-02-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR View Post
This is the first Latin program we have tried, so I can't really compare, but my dd loves Lively Latin. It is broken up into nice short and varied lessons. There is vocabulary, latin grammar, derivatives, Roman history and art history. We do one short lesson a day, so we are moving pretty slowly, but the BBI will probably be plenty for us for at least two years. And, it is very easy to teach. I purhased the ebook, and everything we need is right there in front of us (with the exception of the vocabulary lesson which we listen to online). I think it is a fantastic, user friendly program.
Does it have a pronunciation cd or anything?

And yes, you can post links to blogs in a post, just not a sig.
Mine is : http://concordiaclassicalacademy.blogspot.com/

#10 of 212 Old 11-02-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaSAR View Post
Thank you for your review!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post

Mine is Red Mountain Academy, though it is greatly ignored by me. I need to get a bit more disciplined about actually writing something every once in a while.

#11 of 212 Old 11-02-2009, 11:50 PM

We are doing a combination of WTM and CM. We started out with WTM but now are more CM, I think.

Here's the run-down:

Reading - BOB books along with various early readers from the library (most as suggested at Ambleside Online and other CM sites)
Spelling - McGuffey's Eclectic Speller - doing this rather than phonics as my ds hated the little sentences he had to read as a part of OPTGR (we did make it almost to lesson 100, though)
Handwriting - I taught him his letters via Handwriting Without Tears and now we practice handwriting by writing words and short sentences taken from our reading
Math - Singapore 1A with other things like counting by 2's and telling time thrown in by me for good measure
History - SOTW 1
Science - following 4-year cycle from WTM, using Rookie Read-Aloud Series by Jim Fowler and our Childcraft set to do biology this year
Poetry - currently reading Robert Louis Stevenson
Bible - my own curriculum using the Children's Illustrated Bible, Your Story Hour, and readings from the actual Bible
Nature Study - once a week (we're just getting started with this) using the Handbook of Nature Study and blog cited by *Jessica* above
Music - using Classics for Kids; learning hymns and folksongs (we're weak in this area but getting better at it thanks to CM)
Art - Artistic Pursuits

We're kind of doing an Ambleside 0.5 year. We're reading some books from Year 0 as well as suggestions from Year 1 electives, and we're reading each book once a week so we're spreading it out like Ambleside does. I also make ds do narrations. I had started doing AO Year 1, but my ds was having trouble following books without pictures and doing the narrations, so I decided to take a step back and do books with more pictures (but not necessarily picture books) and master narration with those (which he does very well) before moving into AO Year 1. We may start back into it in January if he is ready - I don't know.

I'm doing Ambleside Year 11 myself as a personal challenge and am really enjoying the selections, even though I have never heard of most of them before and I have a B.A. in Humanities. I'm enjoying studying things like Plutarch and Shakespeare without a teacher breathing down my neck, LOL!

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#12 of 212 Old 11-03-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:

Yes, you can buy it with a CD or log on to the website and listen to the vocab online. It has both classical and ecclesiastical pronunciation.
#13 of 212 Old 11-03-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Mine is http://dontneednoeducation.blogspot.com/

I'm off to check out the blogs everyone linked to.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#14 of 212 Old 11-03-2009, 10:30 AM

wow this is so encouraging.

Jessica can I jsut send my boys to you?

Can any one address with me the STARTING ...going from zero to homeschool?

We want the boys to have a more structured and challanging expereince. however we do not want to push too much too soon.

i find i don't know where i should stand.

does that make sense?

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#15 of 212 Old 11-03-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post

We want the boys to have a more structured and challanging expereince. however we do not want to push too much too soon.

does that make sense?

Aimee
It makes a lot of sense and is a tough thing! Have you read the Well Trained Mind? She has some ideas for gearing up in there. One way to do it is adding one subject at a time- with the ages of your boys it'd probably be read alouds.

Pageta- are you doing Earlybird 1A or Primary 1A? Standards or US? I'm happy to find someone else doing Singapore. And what a fun idea to do Ambleside 11- I'm going to look at that now.

#16 of 212 Old 11-03-2009, 12:03 PM

subbing

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#17 of 212 Old 11-03-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:

does that make sense?

Aimee
Are you talking to me, or to the other Jessica? Somehow I think if you send them to one of us you might miss them.

As for going from "zero to homeschool" I agree that starting slow and adding one thing at a time is the least stressful way for everyone involved.

Your boys are so young that I would just start with reading good books to them.

Maybe add in some nature study by filling a backpack with your nature study materials and grabbing it every time you head outside, just in case they find something interesting. Sometime I take out paper and colored pencils for me to draw with while they play. It never fails that they end up sitting with me and drawing something that interests them.

Buy or check out some math stories (Living Math has some great lists!) and put them out where Theodore will see them. If he's interested, read them. Play games together! So many board games involve math, even if it's only counting the number on the die and moving that many spaces.

You will be amazed at how much difference 1 or 2 years will make in how much he wants to do if you keep everything low key and don't push anything at an early age.

#18 of 212 Old 11-03-2009, 01:48 PM

We're easing into a CM-influenced style. For my 6 yo DD we're doing:

Reading: Primary Phonics
Writing: almost nothing right now (waiting for her love of "writing" her own stories to return)
Math: Living math books (e.g. Greg Tang's Grapes of Math, Mathstart books, Family Math, pattern blocks, geoboard, games, etc.) supplementing with a bit of Miquon and Singapore 1B.
Literature: I read aloud classics (currently: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, next up: probably Stuart Little or The Wind in the Willows).
Social Studies: World Cultures (mixing together geography, folk music, art and folklore from a given region. Just finished Africa. Not sure what's next.) This is *really fun.*
US History: Read-aloud picture books (currently: Early non-Native American explorers up to the Mayflower era)
#19 of 212 Old 11-04-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post
Are you talking to me, or to the other Jessica? Somehow I think if you send them to one of us you might miss them.

As for going from "zero to homeschool" I agree that starting slow and adding one thing at a time is the least stressful way for everyone involved.

Your boys are so young that I would just start with reading good books to them.

Maybe add in some nature study by filling a backpack with your nature study materials and grabbing it every time you head outside, just in case they find something interesting. Sometime I take out paper and colored pencils for me to draw with while they play. It never fails that they end up sitting with me and drawing something that interests them.

Buy or check out some math stories (Living Math has some great lists!) and put them out where Theodore will see them. If he's interested, read them. Play games together! So many board games involve math, even if it's only counting the number on the die and moving that many spaces.

You will be amazed at how much difference 1 or 2 years will make in how much he wants to do if you keep everything low key and don't push anything at an early age.
We do read a ton. I am adding our frist "read-a-loud chapter book" this winter.

All summer we cught bigs and collected leaves and so on .. actually caught a catapiller, and brought it in with the agreement we'd watch it for the weekend and retrun it to its momma on Monday -- monday we woke up to 1/2 coccon!!!! so we of course let it finsih and got to wait for the moth and see the moth -- that was unexpected and cooooool.

I am glad to have such BTDT moms to follow.

We have no intention of rushing Theo (or Charles, but i think he may rush himself to keep up with Big Brother once Theodre actually gets started, yk?). and I do intend to do them together as much as possible -- maybe at differnt levels, but the same material.

I guess i need to chill and wait. but i get so excited about stuff

Thanks for the math suggestion. I will go look at it. (and I am finding many book titles here to snag ... )

We have an additional challange of Theo's speech being almost 2 years behind -- so it is hard to know what he does know, yk? So I am not even sure he knows all his letters and their sounds. he can't make all the sounds i do KNOW that. so for now there is no point in trying much.

#20 of 212 Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 AM

We're doing AmblesideOnline Year 2 with ds (8). The Nature, Artist, and Composer study is similar to *Jessica*'s, and here's what else we're using:

Math: Teaching Textbooks Math 5

Language Arts/Reading Help: The Complete Book of English and Language Arts; Hooked on Phonics Master Reader.

Copywork: Poems (various)

Geography: AO readings, The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, and a monthly homeschool group geography club

History: AO readings w/narrations, book of centuries timeline

Science: Science Essentials, AO readings, experiments, and monthly classes at the science center

Nature Study: Outdoor Hour Challenges from Handbook of Nature Study blog

Literature: Ambleside selections (scheduled and free readings)

Poetry: Walter de la Mare

Artist Study: Sandro Botticelli

Composer Study: Vivaldi

We love the CM philosophy and use short lessons, narrations, copywork, book of centuries, handicrafts, lots of living books, and we try to get out every day. Ds loves it.

With dd (13) we do some AO literature selections, Composer, Artist, and Nature study, Poetry, and Copywork. She also uses Life of Fred books for math, Barron's Painless Series (Life Science, Vocabulary, Grammar, and Writing), and The Everything American History Book. She will be going to high school next year (for performing arts) and has been stepping her game up a little so she feels ready.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan

DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school

DS(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

#21 of 212 Old 11-04-2009, 12:45 PM

sightly OT -- but only a little:

are any of you HS a SN child?

I have read a good amout of the Classical Ideals and so on -- and I know we are going to strive for a Classical and fairly structured school at home appraoch.

but i look at some of the lists and think WOW i just do not see Theodore being ready for this stuff or able to do some of this stuff -- at least at the younger ages listed -- for example the Formidable List of Attainments for a Child of Six --

This is a struggle for me, in general not specifially with Classical HS ...

for example at 4 Theo can barely speak and be understood -- so he can't really recit anything yet. he does KNWO several nusery rhymes .. but even i can't "decode' most of the words.

I know he is young still, but i feel there is so much trapped in his head he can't share -- but that he knows.

so i look at some of the lists and the goals and suggestions and they seem so beyond us . Not that his IQ is effected, it is not, but the pratical issues of speech and emotional stuff and the "sitting downa nd getting it done" aspects seem so huge

just wondering if anyone else has this struggle.

Aimee

#22 of 212 Old 11-04-2009, 01:52 PM

Hi! Subbing. we just switched to a classical curriculum. My daughter is in K, sh's my oldest, and I'm excited about next year and how much more we'll be doing.

When did you introduce latin? does it have to be latin? my husband didn't want us to do latin because he feels if we're going to spend time learning another language why not have it be something they can use communicate with others - like spanish. but from what I understand, latin will help a lot with the kids ability to understand new words considering most of our language has latin roots. what other benefits are there? what did you use? how long did you study it, and when, if ever, did you introduce a language like spanish?
#23 of 212 Old 11-04-2009, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
sightly OT -- but only a little:

are any of you HS a SN child?

I have read a good amout of the Classical Ideals and so on -- and I know we are going to strive for a Classical and fairly structured school at home appraoch.

but i look at some of the lists and think WOW i just do not see Theodore being ready for this stuff or able to do some of this stuff -- at least at the younger ages listed -- for example the Formidable List of Attainments for a Child of Six --

This is a struggle for me, in general not specifially with Classical HS ...

for example at 4 Theo can barely speak and be understood -- so he can't really recit anything yet. he does KNWO several nusery rhymes .. but even i can't "decode' most of the words.

I know he is young still, but i feel there is so much trapped in his head he can't share -- but that he knows.

so i look at some of the lists and the goals and suggestions and they seem so beyond us . Not that his IQ is effected, it is not, but the pratical issues of speech and emotional stuff and the "sitting downa nd getting it done" aspects seem so huge

just wondering if anyone else has this struggle.

Aimee
I am, and the Well Trained Mind book talks about this. The WTM forums have a special place just for special needs homeschooling.
Classical education can be a great fit for a special needs child. It just requires more patience and not trying to move ahead until they are ready. You may spend more then 4 years in the grammar phase, and that's OK! It might take him until 10 to do the 6 year old list- and that's fine. It's about giving them the maximum potential and chances for their specific abilities.

#24 of 212 Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormySar View Post
Hi! Subbing. we just switched to a classical curriculum. My daughter is in K, sh's my oldest, and I'm excited about next year and how much more we'll be doing.

When did you introduce latin? does it have to be latin? my husband didn't want us to do latin because he feels if we're going to spend time learning another language why not have it be something they can use communicate with others - like spanish. but from what I understand, latin will help a lot with the kids ability to understand new words considering most of our language has latin roots. what other benefits are there? what did you use? how long did you study it, and when, if ever, did you introduce a language like spanish?
Hey, welcome! We started Latin with DD1 at 5. It does not have to be Latin, but Latin is very useful. There's the word root thing, and the usefulness or studying a language's grammar without worrying about meeting a native speaker. Once you know Latin it's pretty easy to pick up another romance language.
We're using Prima Latina which is a religious curriculum. My kids are also exposed to French and Spanish and some Chinese, but not on a formal basis. HTH!

#25 of 212 Old 11-04-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:

for what it is worth - i have 4 years of high school latin and 3 years of college latin ... and while i have never spoken it -- it is a vaulable tool. you will be shocked how much of the living languages ARE pulled from Latin. Also I learned a TON more abut English Grammer from Latin class than any other place (including my AP English in high schoola nd my Honor English at college).

But I don't know that it HAS to be anything, that is the joy of Homeschhooling.

theretohere =-- thanks. I have read TWM .. guess i need to reread it again now that i know more .. you make a good point about him not achieveing the 6 yo goals at 6 -- which i just can't see -- but i do have total faith he WILL that is a big part of our intent to homeschool, to avoid him feeling behind or left out or differnt. He will catch up -- he jsut need more time to be little (thus quoted the Dev Ped).

Aimee

#26 of 212 Old 11-04-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:

We just started Latin this year - all three boys are learning (8, 6, and 3). We use Song School Latin and love it. It is a gentle introduction mostly through song. There is a workbook and I am going to slowly have my oldest start doing the simple exercises in it, but I want their reading and writing in English to be strong before introducing reading/writing in Latin (especially because there are some differences in letters/pronunciation).

My oldest will start a more formal Latin program either this spring or summer/fall. I debated which one for a long time, but decided to go with Latin for Children (same publisher as SSL). I figured all of us can learn along with the DVDs and CDs (chants), yet ds#1 will be responsible for the reading/writing at this point in time.

Personally, I think Latin is just plain cool to learn (I love the looks we get when I say the boys are learning Latin ). I also agree with theretohere that there is great benefit to learning Latin. In a year, we'll start more formal Spanish study along with Latin study. Eventually, I hope to have us all pretty well versed in not only Latin, but Spanish, Italian, and French. (I also want to add Norwegian in there as that is the language of my heritage, but it has no relation to romance languages and I'm not sure how I want to go to about doing it!)

#27 of 212 Old 11-04-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Pageta- are you doing Earlybird 1A or Primary 1A? Standards or US? I'm happy to find someone else doing Singapore. And what a fun idea to do Ambleside 11- I'm going to look at that now.
We are doing Primary 1A Standards. I have the HIG, textbook and workbook. I started without the HIG and was completely lost, tried Right Start (hated it) and went back to Singapore with the HIG. We're doing quite well now. I make it work for me rather than being a slave to the curriculum, which also helps.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#28 of 212 Old 11-04-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageta View Post
We are doing Primary 1A Standards. I have the HIG, textbook and workbook. I started without the HIG and was completely lost, tried Right Start (hated it) and went back to Singapore with the HIG. We're doing quite well now. I make it work for me rather than being a slave to the curriculum, which also helps.
Good to know! We're on track to start 1A this upcoming semester, or a little sooner. I am definitely planning to get the HiG!

#29 of 212 Old 11-04-2009, 11:49 PM

An Ambleside CM'r here

We're on Year 3 and this is our 4th year of following Ambleside. I'm in love with the results I'm seeing.

I follow Ambleside fairly closely because I like their selections. I've cut out a couple that we just hated though.

For Math we use Math U See

Geography-- Kids Learn America and outline maps

Latin--Getting Started with Latin. We started last Jan so he was newly 8. We move pretty slowly but it's definitely fun to learn. I wrote the words we know on 3x5 cards and we use them as flashcards once a week too.

I get a bit behind on the free reading. My son doesn't read those to himself yet, so I'm trying to not feel behind and just keep plodding along. They're great books and we definitely enjoy them.

To the mom doing Year 11--wow what a great idea!
#30 of 212 Old 11-05-2009, 10:03 AM

We're doing a combination of classical/CM but I'm not feeling too organized yet, as this is our first year HS. We're doing Saxon math, which has been good so far, and writing and reading more or less what we want. ds is reading the Magic Treehouse series and I'm reading Harry Potter to him. We have been doing a lot of stems, which ds really likes --looking forcthem in words we run across. We do a lot of nature stuff.
Our Latin is Cambridge Minimus, taken very slow, and lots of spoken Latin, especially in the car: Quid vides? Video ... Basically I spy in Latin, and a lot of question and answer, like Quomodo te habes?/me habeo bene, Quid facis?/ego specto/ago/sedeo/dico etc. I'm a Latin teacher by trade though...

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page