k12/Virtual Academy Winter 2009 - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

#91 of 216 Old 12-07-2009, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cat, I've seen people with no extenuating circumstances to speak of claim that 90% of kindergarten and first grade were online with K12, or that it was "more computer time than I was led to believe". History is much easier to do online in most cases, but all classes could be offline at those grade levels with minimal trouble (again with the exception of history-- that would be a pain in the neck). I briefly had my nieces enrolled one year, and my younger niece (then a first grader) has severe SPD. Everything had to be on paper for her, because she just wasn't capable of looking at a screen for that long (even now as a fourth grader, that would likely prove difficult if not impossible for her). I had to plan very carefully to minimize her screen time, and I managed to accommodate that. (Please note that I could have had an IEP created for her which would allow me to receive extra ink cartridges, so that I could print absolutely everything for her. In fact, I had fully intended to request an IEP evaluation on her behalf; It was a HUGE part of the reason that she was enrolled.)

Gina: It will depend on your state's laws, and the way that your school interacts with the state and local districts. That said, your own school is responsible for the evaluations (I'm pretty sure special education funding is mandatory in every state). What will probably happen is that your school will contract with an agency local to you that will deal with the actual evaluation. That seems to be the way that it works in most states.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 216 Old 12-07-2009, 12:33 PM

Oh I know Rynna. I have a friend that used k12 last year with her dd for K and she hated it. She said that it was just soooooo much computer time and she didn't like the time and all that. Funny thing is that now, I'm doing K and literally the ONLY subject of hers that we are doing at the computer is history. DH reads the lang. arts stories to the girls at bedtime, and the next morning I do all the activities associated with that story (I read through the OLS plans while he's reading to them at bedtime and take notes on what we'll do that day for the story's activities) Math, dh does that at the dining table after supper each night with the girls while I'm putting in grades from assessments on the other stuff we did that day. And we all know phonics is offline............... lol I rarely use the computer for most lessons, but when I'm in a place like I am now (today seems to be a pretty even day so far for me though, maybe I'm changing my pattern) it truly is a godsend to me. I still do all our lessons AT my computer desk though so that I have access to the comp if we need/want it.

Gina, I know a lot of people who waste lots of time like that too. My dh is one of them.............. lol

So is anyone else planning on doing lessons through Christmas break? We took some extra time off for Thanksgiving, and I need to keep our routines up as much as possible, so I'm planning on continuing lessons through the break instead of taking off the whole 2 weeks. We'll take Christmas and New Year's off (erm, the days that dh has off for those days that is) but I'm planning on keeping lessons going for my own sanity. I can't afford to have us out of routine right now, so we're not taking off. Anyone else?

Cat- hsing momma to a wild crew of kids
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, Jordan 9/07, PJ 2/12, and Nate 5/14
#93 of 216 Old 12-07-2009, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittie313 View Post

So is anyone else planning on doing lessons through Christmas break? We took some extra time off for Thanksgiving, and I need to keep our routines up as much as possible, so I'm planning on continuing lessons through the break instead of taking off the whole 2 weeks. We'll take Christmas and New Year's off (erm, the days that dh has off for those days that is) but I'm planning on keeping lessons going for my own sanity. I can't afford to have us out of routine right now, so we're not taking off. Anyone else?
Breaks are a nightmare for us, yes the time off is great but getting dd to start doing the work again is very very difficult so while we may go slower during the holidays we don't stop. I actually got into an argument with CAVA about not being able to get our 3rd grade courses early since we finished 2nd early but I guess they were not shipping out anything if completed past April. This year I'll make sure we finish by March to keep us working though the summer

Seriously?

#94 of 216 Old 12-07-2009, 02:10 PM

Hi,

I'm thinking about using K12 starting in January because things just aren't getting done around here. I'm really feeling pretty okay with a "just tell me what to do and don't make me think too much about it" type of curriculum right now, even if it's just for this semester and then we do something else for next year.

So, for those who use CAVA, I have some questions...

1. How often do you have a meeting (phone or f2f) with the "teacher."

2. How easy/difficult is it to customize? Is there flexibility to mix things up a bit? For ex: Could DD1 (first grade) be in K-History, 2nd grade Science, 1st grade math, 1st grade LA?

3. Is customizing lessons allowed? For example, the sample K history lesson is on the Wright brothers. Could I substituate a more interesting living book about the Wright Bros. to read to DD as long as it covers the same information and addresses the objectives? Of course, it occurs to me that CAVA would really have no way of knowing one way or the other.

4. Are there hands on activities with the art lessons? What about music?

Our other way of getting some K12 stuff is going through another charter and buying individual courses (this is my preference, actually), but they're full right now and I have no idea when space will be available for DD.

Thank you for your help.
#95 of 216 Old 12-07-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaRae View Post
Hey, does anyone know if the local district covers learning disability evaluating for homeschoolers and how to do this? I sent a note today to the teacher to ask her.
I'm pretty sure the way it works in CA is that the school (CAVA) handles the evaluating process, so you are heading in the right direction contacting the teacher.

Quote:

We didn't do much over Thanksgiving, but we'll probably do some over christmas break.

1. How often do you have a meeting (phone or f2f) with the "teacher."
We have one face to face per 1/4, and I think we're supposed to have a phone conference every month, but my teacher hasn't called me at all this year.
2. How easy/difficult is it to customize? Is there flexibility to mix things up a bit? For ex: Could DD1 (first grade) be in K-History, 2nd grade Science, 1st grade math, 1st grade LA?
It used to be easier to customize, but they don't actually do placement testing anymore (all the teachers I've talked to are pretty pissed about that!) so your daughter would start with all 1st grade classes. If she needs to go up in LA or Math, you teacher can request that after you start. For the other classes, if you finish them early, they will send you the next grade (as long as they are finished by April, I think).

3. Is customizing lessons allowed? For example, the sample K history lesson is on the Wright brothers. Could I substituate a more interesting living book about the Wright Bros. to read to DD as long as it covers the same information and addresses the objectives? Of course, it occurs to me that CAVA would really have no way of knowing one way or the other. Yeah, that's no problem. They have lesson and unit objectives listed in the curriculum that they want the kids to meet. How they get there is up to you. At every face to face (so once a quarter) you have to turn in one assignment per subject, and those need to be directly from the curriculum.

4. Are there hands on activities with the art lessons? What about music?
There is an art project that goes with every lesson. The music curiculum is awful, IMO, but there are some activities to do.
#96 of 216 Old 12-07-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Breaks are a nightmare for us, yes the time off is great but getting dd to start doing the work again is very very difficult so while we may go slower during the holidays we don't stop. I actually got into an argument with CAVA about not being able to get our 3rd grade courses early since we finished 2nd early but I guess they were not shipping out anything if completed past April. This year I'll make sure we finish by March to keep us working though the summer
LOL I have a similar plan! I hate the idea of taking a summer break, especially in phonics right now, so I'm fast-tracking our lessons so that I can finish them all in March-ish and then order the next level as we finish each one, and just keep going forward without a real "break" so to speak. Although, dh and I have discussed a lot lately about the idea of going independent with hsing instead of staying with OHVA next school year, we're going to take a look at it at the start of the year when we finish 2nd quarter (ends 1/8) I'm a bit behind in several subjects right now with the girls, and am planning on getting us up to 50% in everything before that date, so if I can pull off that kind of momentum then I will keep at it if we decide to stay with OHVA. We're going to determine based on how much they've grown the first half of the year, and see what happens with it all then. I have a feeling though that we'll likely stay with OHVA just because of my bipolar and tendency to rapid cycle from Halloween until around tax day every year, strictly to make it easier for me to stay on track and for others to jump in and help when needed.

I'm really looking forward to being in the downhill slide of the school year, this first half has been sooooo difficult to me and just knowing that we're over halfway through the year come 1/8 will be a huge relief to me and help me stay focused better I think.

#97 of 216 Old 12-07-2009, 07:42 PM

Does anyone else have a child doing 2nd grade Language Arts? I'm really not enjoying it. I hate that they have all the comp/spelling/GUM all mushed in with the literature (and I know I'm not the only one with the complaint that 2nd grade should be destranded like 3rd and up) and there seem to be long periods of time where there isn't any real literature - we've been reading a lot of silly non-fiction articles that seem so clearly directed towards answering questions about passages on the state test (that my dd won't even be taking because she's only in 1st grade) lately. I'm also thinking ahead to what I know is coming up in 3rd grade LA, and I can't help but feel like DD is going to be bored stiff. DS loved it, but DD is a different kid and, while she reads well, she still likes books to be visually appealing. What I remember of 3rd grade LA, it was really dry.
#98 of 216 Old 12-07-2009, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I was going to, but then Jack was upset that his brothers get an extra week off as it is. I may just let him have the 2 weeks and take the time for ME to catch up on other things. Not set in stone yet though...

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#99 of 216 Old 12-07-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
...... and there seem to be long periods of time where there isn't any real literature......
Interesting... there is SO MUCH reading (stories and novels) in 3rd grade. SO MUCH. Add on the reading he does for science, art and history and he's overwhelmed. This is a kid with no reading problems either.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
#100 of 216 Old 12-07-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Interesting... there is SO MUCH reading (stories and novels) in 3rd grade. SO MUCH. Add on the reading he does for science, art and history and he's overwhelmed. This is a kid with no reading problems either.
YES YES YES!!!!

My 3rd grader DOES have reading problems and overwhelming doesn't even begin to describe where we are with it. I brought it up with his with our teacher and all I got was more elluminate classes and don't forget to do Study Island. He doesn't need more work....it's the opposite...he needs less and at a lower grade level...but they won't do that because he scored "at grade level" with the scantron testing.
#101 of 216 Old 12-07-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gromero View Post
YES YES YES!!!!

My 3rd grader DOES have reading problems and overwhelming doesn't even begin to describe where we are with it. I brought it up with his with our teacher and all I got was more elluminate classes and don't forget to do Study Island. He doesn't need more work....it's the opposite...he needs less and at a lower grade level...but they won't do that because he scored "at grade level" with the scantron testing.

My dd won't read it, its not worth the battle so I read it to her and the teacher is fine with it. Might be worth trying

Seriously?
#102 of 216 Old 12-08-2009, 01:38 AM

I also do A LOT of reading to him instead and we go quickly that way now. I've also skipped a few that were just not necessary. We will go over the lesson (like themes in writing, characters, etc) and I will show an example, but we will skip the story.

#103 of 216 Old 12-08-2009, 01:40 AM

Oh hey, I've been meaning to ask, what do I do with ALL THIS PAPER and a ton of books they sent us? We're done with them and I'd like to clear it out now instead of holding onto it. No space! Are we supposed to give the books back or just gift them to someone? Can I recycle all this paper yet or do I need it for review later?

#104 of 216 Old 12-08-2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Oh hey, I've been meaning to ask, what do I do with ALL THIS PAPER and a ton of books they sent us? We're done with them and I'd like to clear it out now instead of holding onto it. No space! Are we supposed to give the books back or just gift them to someone? Can I recycle all this paper yet or do I need it for review later?
The "consumable" books (ones you write in) you keep but the other books (teacher's guides, textbooks, manipulatives, etc) you send back. I believe there is a list somewhere on the K12 website that tells you what to send back. They will be sending you UPS stickers too. It's pretty easy.

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
#105 of 216 Old 12-08-2009, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, we will be working through Christmas. We'll ease off a bit on things (not stress about getting through 4-6 lessons/day) - but we'll do it. We started a week behind here, and have not entirely caught up even now. I'm 'on target' or ahead for Phonics, Language, Math, and History -- but behind a bit in Science, Art and a LOT in Music. So we'll focus most on the classes she's most behind in (Music, Art, Science). And I plan on doing Math daily -- just blast through assessments, as I suspect that she actually would be doing well at 1st grade level, this has been almost all review for her (she didn't know about "pattern rules" yet, and I hadn't taught her how to count money yet, but that's about it so far). So I'd like to just rocket through Math and move into the first grade stuff. But then again, it is nice that we're ahead and it's easy and I can just skip it on busy days without worrying about getting behind.

Glad this thread has been helpful for keeping on track, Cat! It's served the same function for me too.

Welcome, Yippity Skippity!

ETA:
So, I'm gathering that if you've been given school work/materials for a grade ahead, and it's not completed by the end of the school year, you can continue to access k12 online all summer and keep working on those materials?! I had assumed that unless there was a summer school option that people were signed up for, it wouldn't work that way ....

Not all who wander are lost.
#106 of 216 Old 12-08-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
ETA:
So, I'm gathering that if you've been given school work/materials for a grade ahead, and it's not completed by the end of the school year, you can continue to access k12 online all summer and keep working on those materials?! I had assumed that unless there was a summer school option that people were signed up for, it wouldn't work that way ....
Yep

Seriously?
#107 of 216 Old 12-08-2009, 01:00 PM

Yeah, you'll have access for most of the summer. There are days here and there that the OLS is down as they do upgrade, etc, but for the most part you can keep working. The only exception is foreign language - that cuts off right at the end of the school year.
#108 of 216 Old 12-08-2009, 02:56 PM

So is anyone already thinking about their options for next school year? Like, staying with k12 vs. a different VA vs. independent hs vs. public/private school? DH and I are starting to weigh our options now because we will need to have a plan in place and make purchases with the tax refund in the spring if we decide to go independent, and I'll want to make sure the kids are working up to grade level if they go back into public.

I took Melissa to the doctor today for an ADHD checkup, and got that referral for dyslexia testing. The office is also going to send me a copy of the referral form for my records, and I need to let our teacher know that she's been referred. So that covers everything I needed to do for that, now I wait lol

#109 of 216 Old 12-08-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post

ETA:
Yes, our teacher told us that we can work through the summer, rather than have to take a break. We'll probably slow way down because he'll want to be outside playing a lot, but in his bored times he may ask to do some work because for the most part he likes it. Maybe each school is different but most I've talked to said they are allowed to continue working through summer.

We've got two more lessons and then we'll be moving on to 1st grade math. It's really slowing down now though, now that were touching on things he hasn't been exposed to before. It's fun, we like doing the lessons and moving on slowly now.

Phonics though, we still haven't hit a wall...so trying to get him to where he needs to be has been a slight challenge. We're about 75% of the way through. I haven't read ahead, so I'm not sure how much harder it gets in K...

We're going to take a week off at Christmas because we will have a full house of out-of-state visitors! It's going to be chaos (loving chaos though, right?!) :nana

E, mama to DS (6) and DD (3)
I'm a and we are
#110 of 216 Old 12-08-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
So is anyone already thinking about their options for next school year? Like, staying with k12 vs. a different VA vs. independent hs vs. public/private school? DH and I are starting to weigh our options now because we will need to have a plan in place and make purchases with the tax refund in the spring if we decide to go independent, and I'll want to make sure the kids are working up to grade level if they go back into public.

I took Melissa to the doctor today for an ADHD checkup, and got that referral for dyslexia testing. The office is also going to send me a copy of the referral form for my records, and I need to let our teacher know that she's been referred. So that covers everything I needed to do for that, now I wait lol
If there working on grade level for K12 then there ahead of there public school peers so no need to worry there Unless CAVA starts with more mandatory crap we'll stay with them for next year too.

Seriously?
#111 of 216 Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
If there working on grade level for K12 then there ahead of there public school peers so no need to worry there Unless CAVA starts with more mandatory crap we'll stay with them for next year too.
That's what I was thinking, as long as they are at grade-level in all subjects they are at LEAST 2 years ahead of our local ps. Melissa's in 1st grade and doing semester 2 of phonics K, and that girl is already "caught up" by the ps standards for reading. Lydia, despite being way behind in phonics K herself, is ahead of the K kids (the first half of the year they go over letter names and sounds, they don't even START blending and reading until after Christmas and we're already doing that only /4 of the way into phonics K) Yeah, there will be NO problems with them being behind if they get back into ps in the future lol

#112 of 216 Old 12-09-2009, 04:56 AM

I'm not seeing that with CAVA so far. Jack seems to have already gone thru most of this stuff in his old B&M school. I'm hoping we can start getting into something slightly more challenging soon.

ETA: As far as math is going, at least. Other things I do feel he's getting a better education. And certainly expanded and adjusted for HIM which is priceless.

#113 of 216 Old 12-09-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I'm not seeing that with CAVA so far. Jack seems to have already gone thru most of this stuff in his old B&M school. I'm hoping we can start getting into something slightly more challenging soon.

ETA: As far as math is going, at least. Other things I do feel he's getting a better education. And certainly expanded and adjusted for HIM which is priceless.
Yeah, we're still reviewing concepts that Melissa learned last year in public also when it comes to math. I'm not too concerned because she is dyslexic (probably) so the review of concepts is more to get her writing things properly and to reinforce the visual (she knows it too, I was going to just assess her out of all this stuff we've been doing but she insisted that she wanted to go through it so that she could practice that so it was technically HER request, not bad for a 1st grader IMO) Now phonics, that is a whole different story lol One day she'll catch up................

#114 of 216 Old 12-09-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we're still reviewing concepts that Melissa learned last year in public also when it comes to math. I'm not too concerned because she is dyslexic (probably) so the review of concepts is more to get her writing things properly and to reinforce the visual (she knows it too, I was going to just assess her out of all this stuff we've been doing but she insisted that she wanted to go through it so that she could practice that so it was technically HER request, not bad for a 1st grader IMO) Now phonics, that is a whole different story lol One day she'll catch up................
I hated K12 phonics with a passion, I still do to the point that its a deal breaker and won't be enrolling my younger dd until she's hit the 2nd/3rd grade mark just to avoid those stupid phonics lessons!

That said many here love starfall and they just started more.starfall.com which is a pay service for phonics but we ended up buying headsprout and it allowed dd to quickly get the phonics figured out quickly.

Seriously?
#115 of 216 Old 12-09-2009, 03:28 PM

We really like te k12 phonics actually. I've tried several things to help Melissa with her reading, and this is literally the first program that's got her not only starting to read, but actually ENJOYING her reading lessons. She does so well with phonics now, we've hit a groove for her to really bloom and grow at a great pace that fits her. I'm at a place where if we didn't do k12 next year, I'd likely still be getting k12 phonics for her and her sisters.

#116 of 216 Old 12-09-2009, 03:51 PM

DD hated k12 phonics with a passion, but I think it was because she was already reading (even though she claimed she couldn't ). Eventually I decided to scrap most of it other than dictation for writing practice. If we stick with k12 for next year, I think it might actually be a good fit for my now 4yo. He has a speech delay, and I think the slow pace and very deliberate isolation of different sounds they do might be very helpful for him. He's sight reading a lot of words, but has no understanding of how letter sounds relate to the words he reads. Other moms of kids with speech delays who have posted on the CAVA yahoo group have said that k12 phonics actually helped with their kids' speech, so it could be interesting.

I'm a little hesitant to enroll ds2 nexy year, though, because of all of CAVA's recent focus on "acheivement." Aside from his speech delay, he has some other minor delays and issues that I think could be problematic for CAVA. When DD started CAVA, she was easily 1st grade level, into 2nd grade in many things, so it was easy for us not to feel any pressure on acheivement. DS2's brain just seems wired differently than my older kids. He's one smart cookie, but I don't know how it will be demonstrated with k12 curriculum - combine his speech delay with a fine motor delay and a typica l4/5 year old boy's lack of ability to sit still for more than 30 seconds at a time, and I just don't know how it will go. We could wait a year (he's a September b-day), but as it is he really wants to "do school" like the older kids. We need to get him officially evaluated, too, because if he needs an IEP, I'd like to enter any charter school we use with one already in place so there's no confusion about him "underacheiving." There ARE other charter school options that have more flexible curriculum, so that might be the way we go - but if we do that, I'll switch all the kids, because I don't want to be dealing with two different charters.
#117 of 216 Old 12-10-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
DD hated k12 phonics with a passion, but I think it was because she was already reading (even though she claimed she couldn't ).
That sounds like my DS! He is reading the last books of the K "readers"which have a few sentences on each page. He's reading them with minimal help from me, to which I reply "dude! you just read that! you can read, that is so cool" and he says "no, I don't know how to read" but he really enjoys it! So, I learned right away to back off and for some reason he doesn't want to acknowledge that he knows how to read but since he gobbles it up and enjoys it we continue...I just don't talk out loud that he knows how to read

E, mama to DS (6) and DD (3)
I'm a and we are
#118 of 216 Old 12-11-2009, 05:11 PM

Well, Melissa is at the table with paints, mixing them to make different colors for art class. I really do NOT like art.................... lol She isn't too fond of the k12 art lessons either, so we usually just look over the concept that she's learning and go for it with our own method of teaching. She's learning all about color mixing right now, and did it yesterday too for a bit, and I'm praying that it doesn't get *too* messy lol

#119 of 216 Old 12-17-2009, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all,
Sorry I disappeared for awhile - dh's great-grandmother passed away last week, so we had a cross-country trek to her funeral and virtually no internet access. We're en route home now ....

I had been almost entirely caught up on k12 (except for music and art) -- but with a week of hardly any internet access, I've lost ground significantly. We've managed to do a couple science and a couple history, a ton of math (but I should have brought the whole book because we used all the assessments I brought to do), and some reading .... but it looks like we are going to be pretty much working through almost all of Christmas break.

Not all who wander are lost.
#120 of 216 Old 12-17-2009, 11:47 AM

Oh, we're working too. I've been ill for the past two weeks, and very little has been accomplished. We've got to play catch-up in a big way over winter break.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page