k12/Virtual Academy Winter 2009 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#181 of 216 Old 01-26-2010, 06:50 PM
 
EXOLAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tralfamadore
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
... and othertimes I just counted it as correct if she got an approximation of the word she was going for. I figured it was math and not being able to write/spell the numbers correctly wasn't preventing her from understandin the concepts in any way. She was able to read the number words, and I thought that was enough for her.
Our DD is 5 doing 1st grade math as well. We've encountered this a few times (it's in the 1st grade semester assessment as well). I spoke with our teacher about it and she said it was perfectly fine to count 'sevin' and 'ate' as correct answers because it was a math lesson and not a LA arts lesson. She said it would all be reviewed in LA anyway so all we should look for is a mathematically and age appropriate answer when doing math. She didn't care if letters were backwards or whatnot, only that DD knew what the number word was. HTH!
EXOLAX is offline  
#182 of 216 Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 PM
 
kittie313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just totally random. Does it ever bother you when other hs'ers look at you when you tell then you use a k12 school and say snotty-like "well your not really homeschooling, your kids are in ps" I had this come up over the weekend when I was chatting with a lady I met randomly at the store (we were both in the craft aisle picking up supplies lol) and for some reason it really bugged me. Like, just because we chose to go with a state-funded program that has regulations and reporting and testing that makes ME not as good a hs'er as her? I've had it come up a couple times at our hs group too, almost 1/3 of the moms are OHVA or Connections or one of the other dozen VA's available in the state and somehow I managed to get those people who treat me like a second-class hs'er because I chose a method that works really well for us this year, God forbid I choose something that allows the state to dictate what I teach and how to do it and such (ever think I may actually NEED that kind of guidance? I've seen how I am without being told what to do and when, my kids would be those unschooled kids that never do anything that isn't watch tv or play video/ computer games and never learn to read or add)

Sorry, just needed to ask about that. Maybe I'm just touchy because of my eternal PMS thanks to the IUD lol

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

kittie313 is offline  
#183 of 216 Old 01-26-2010, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
elanorh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't run into it much but that's because I don't do things with the local homeschool groups (yet). I suspect I'll run into it though.

There are homeschoolers who are very rigid about the curriculum they follow - they use grade books, etc. themselves within the curriculum they're following (not all homeschoolers, but some) - IMO we're not that different from those homeschoolers, in the end. And in fact, many of us are quite flexible about the components of our curriculum (the example of me doing Christmas music for the music lessons springs to my mind) .... it is true that once they're a certain age, they'll be taking the state tests etc. If we're still doing k12 at that point, and I feel like their "Study Islands" are taking too much time away from actual learning, then I may reposition myself. But, right now, I've got a pretty flexible curriculum which came FREE, including the computer and much of the extras we use (ie tempera paints etc.) --- so I'm happy with it.

I suppose it's not that different from the Mommy Wars we encounter in other areas -- the whole judgmentalism about whether or not mom works at home or outside the home, or eats organic (or not), or whatever.


ETA: I do think that there is a concern that these virtual schools were established as a way to control homeschooling more (that is, to get public schooling into the 'homeschool' business, and begin the argument that THAT is what homeschooling should be, rather than parentally driven homeschooling). And also as a way to siphon homeschoolers back into the public school system. However, I think that virtual academies appeal to a different type of homeschool parent -- there are plenty of mothers here who started with a virtual academy and switched to straight homeschooling. It's as likely that parents who might not have considered homeschooling, would try a VA, and then decide that they could do full-on homeschooling. It could go both directions (and I suspect would lead to more moving to full homeschooling than not, in the end; I like k12 right now but am not convinced that I will still be using it in 3-4 years, at least not with Ina?! We'll see....)

Not all who wander are lost.
elanorh is offline  
#184 of 216 Old 01-27-2010, 05:18 AM
 
eilonwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lost
Posts: 15,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittie313 View Post
Just totally random. Does it ever bother you when other hs'ers look at you when you tell then you use a k12 school and say snotty-like "well your not really homeschooling, your kids are in ps" I had this come up over the weekend when I was chatting with a lady I met randomly at the store (we were both in the craft aisle picking up supplies lol) and for some reason it really bugged me. Like, just because we chose to go with a state-funded program that has regulations and reporting and testing that makes ME not as good a hs'er as her?
I usually just kill this by saying, "Yes, my kids are in public school, but they're still at home during the day and therefore they're doing school at home. It's not at all different from what many highly structured homeschoolers do-- in fact, there are structured homeschoolers who purchase this curriculum independently. So what's your point?" Then, if I'm feeling energetic, I dispel myths while trying not to laugh at their tense self-righteousness. It's pretty much the same thing I do when other mothers make stupid comments about any other aspect of child-raising or my lifestyle. If I'm feeling nasty, I'm likely to snicker and say, "Thanks, I'll give your opinion all due consideration" or some such. Some people think that it's a moral imperative to comment on any lifestyle choice that is different from their own. I've got a moral imperative to tell most of them where to shove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
I suppose it's not that different from the Mommy Wars we encounter in other areas -- the whole judgmentalism about whether or not mom works at home or outside the home, or eats organic (or not), or whatever.
Just try being anything but Christian along with it. Not only am I failing to actually homeschool my kids, I'm sending them straight to hell in a minivan to hear some of them talk. Ugh.

Quote:
ETA: I do think that there is a concern that these virtual schools were established as a way to control homeschooling more (that is, to get public schooling into the 'homeschool' business, and begin the argument that THAT is what homeschooling should be, rather than parentally driven homeschooling). And also as a way to siphon homeschoolers back into the public school system. However, I think that virtual academies appeal to a different type of homeschool parent -- there are plenty of mothers here who started with a virtual academy and switched to straight homeschooling. It's as likely that parents who might not have considered homeschooling, would try a VA, and then decide that they could do full-on homeschooling. It could go both directions (and I suspect would lead to more moving to full homeschooling than not, in the end; I like k12 right now but am not convinced that I will still be using it in 3-4 years, at least not with Ina?! We'll see....)
Except that while that may have been the intent in some cases, in practice it hasn't really worked out that way. That argument doesn't fly well around here, as local school districts are LOUD about how they "lose money" to the virtual academies.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
eilonwy is offline  
#185 of 216 Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 PM
 
goobergrl6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lexington Park MD
Posts: 239
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 5yo DS in K who just started math 2. For the number words I just kinda fudged them with him. He can do some but not all. We just are not that far in phonics. Plus I figure him not being able to spell eleven had no effect on his ability to add.

We are one of the homeschoolers who bought k12 privatly. I think in fact I may be the only one on this thread LOL. We had always planned to homeschool and I was leaning more twords unschooling. The closer and closer we got the more DH freaked and wanted something more structured. Of couse he decides this just weeks before we were planning on starting. So I went into panic mode trying to piece things together. Woried I would mess up, or forget something, or just pick the wrong thing. Then I found k12. I think it is GREAT for beginners. It helps you realize you CAN do this. It has everything there for you and helps you figure out what kind of homeschooler you are. Granted I am not sure how much I would love it if I had to report to someone but I have not been there so I can not comment on it. I think the important thing is we are all doing this for our kids and I think so many times that gets lost. So many people are hung up on their right way to HS that they forget everyone is different.
goobergrl6 is offline  
#186 of 216 Old 01-27-2010, 11:31 PM
 
kittie313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My kids got their PE for the week (for the second time since soccer ended for the fall back in October) They did one of my Jillian Michaels dvd's after watching me try to kill myself doing just the first 10min or so of it. lol They did the entire 40min workout and then Melissa asked to do more.............. We're going to be buying some kid-friendly workout dvd's for them to do on days that the weather just isn't acceptable for outdoor playing (and I consider cold and snow to not be acceptable outdoor play weather because I'm never wam at this time of year LOL) But I need to log their PE before I forget................ lol

And as far as my last question, I'm just irritated is all lately by it. Here locally my girls have lost friends because the kids' parents didn't want their kids around "that weird homeschool family" despite my explaining that technically its ps at home since we're enrolled in OHVA, and hs'ers around here sometimes get snotty about it because we're "not real hs'ers" So I'm just feeling frustrated by the fact that my family falls in that grey area of hsing and ps, and its just annoying that they would act like that to me. A lot of our parenting falls in that area so we're just oddballs. Your either a total crunchy AP family, permissive to an extreme, or strict as heck. We are none of those, we follow that little thing called an INSTINCT. And instinct led us to ohva and k12 instead of straight-up hs'ing or ps. It works, why can't other just respect that in my family and see my kids are thriving in our environment and doing really well? Its not like I lock them in a closet and force them to stare at a computer screen all day, or I have our teacher standing over us cracking a whip over every little thing we do differently. lol They'd DIE if they knew how much of the k12 materials I'm substituting other stuff for (like right now with math, we're just going over the stuff briefly and hand-holding through the assessments since its time and money for both kids, they'll pick it up over the course of this year with us working on it daily)

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

kittie313 is offline  
#187 of 216 Old 01-28-2010, 04:16 PM
 
ALittleBitCrunchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hogwarts library
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just introducing myself I'm a 3rd year homeschooler and have just enrolled my kids in a virtual academy. I'm nervous but tentatively excited. We both work (and I have 2 jobs) and we've really been working on a homemade/DIY lifestyle. Which means we simply don't have enough time for everything. So...I'm letting someone else handle the curriculum, supplies, lesson plans, testing, etc. All I have left is the teaching, which is the part I like

We're waiting for the computer to arrive for DS and we need to get one more piece of paper for DD's registration, then we'll get her books.

I'm a little nervous. Okay, so maybe a lot nervous...

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

ALittleBitCrunchy is offline  
#188 of 216 Old 01-28-2010, 04:31 PM
 
kittie313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALittleBitCrunchy View Post
Just introducing myself I'm a 3rd year homeschooler and have just enrolled my kids in a virtual academy. I'm nervous but tentatively excited. We both work (and I have 2 jobs) and we've really been working on a homemade/DIY lifestyle. Which means we simply don't have enough time for everything. So...I'm letting someone else handle the curriculum, supplies, lesson plans, testing, etc. All I have left is the teaching, which is the part I like

We're waiting for the computer to arrive for DS and we need to get one more piece of paper for DD's registration, then we'll get her books.

I'm a little nervous. Okay, so maybe a lot nervous...
Welcome! I really love our VA and the lack of creating and prep time involved with it lol It has been a real godsend for us, and I'm hoping that it works great for us as we enter our super hectic time that we're about to enter because I'm about to take on a FT college courseload via online school myself. Hope your remainder of this year is as successful as our year is going, it has really made working with dd1 and her learning challenges much easier.

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

kittie313 is offline  
#189 of 216 Old 01-28-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
 
elanorh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome!

I've been thinking we ought to put together a post of all the items that k12 just assumes we have in our houses, for those who are just starting out with the program.

Off the top of my head, things I've had to purchase are:
hole punch
note cards
pipe cleaners
TONS of construction paper, of various sizes including 12x18
Sketch paper (art paper)
Glue sticks
String (I've just been using yarn)

(I already had watercolors, glue, pencils, erasers, crayons, my own tempera paints, and scissors) I suspect that at the rate we're going through it, I will need to buy a lot more tempera paint too (or do they send you more of that stuff every year?).

Not all who wander are lost.
elanorh is offline  
#190 of 216 Old 01-29-2010, 12:59 AM
 
eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mexico
Posts: 7,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's really random stuff they consider "household items." Some that boggle the mind, because they are NOT things we have around - especially for science. They do sent more tempra paints, clay, brushes, every year, though.

We had our quarterly meeting yesterday. It was supposed to be last week, but my 4 year old started throwing up the night before (a couple of days after my 6 year old finished her week long battle with the stomach flu!) DS has started 5th grade Science and History. We're enjoying history a lot, even though it's totally different than the K-4 History. It's not on the computer anymore - it's US History using the "The History of US." I was worried ds would be upset by the change, but he's not. We've only done two lessons in Science, so I'm not sure how that will go. I'm a little annoyed because in California, apparently, 5th grade math has 18 or so extra lessons that are not in the OLS just tacked in between unit 7 and 8 because of California testing requirements. It's pre-algebra, which my son will probably enjoy, but we were on track to finish within a week of the end of the year, and now we have almost a month of added non-optional lessons. Not to mention that he won't even be tested on it this year, because he's only a 4th grader. Oh well.
eclipse is offline  
#191 of 216 Old 01-29-2010, 02:15 AM
 
eilonwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lost
Posts: 15,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
Welcome!

I've been thinking we ought to put together a post of all the items that k12 just assumes we have in our houses, for those who are just starting out with the program.

Off the top of my head, things I've had to purchase are:
hole punch
note cards
pipe cleaners
TONS of construction paper, of various sizes including 12x18
Sketch paper (art paper)
Glue sticks
String (I've just been using yarn)

(I already had watercolors, glue, pencils, erasers, crayons, my own tempera paints, and scissors) I suspect that at the rate we're going through it, I will need to buy a lot more tempera paint too (or do they send you more of that stuff every year?).
We've got way more tempera paint than we'll ever use. Everything else, though, we totally had in the house... and we're not terrifically artistic around here.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
eilonwy is offline  
#192 of 216 Old 01-29-2010, 06:31 PM
 
kittie313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK can I bang my head on the wall now? I'm working through that time unit in math 1 with Melissa and she is NOT getting it. She didn't get any of time and money when they covered it with her at ps last school year, and this year she's still just BS'ing her way through this unit with a lot of hand-holding from me. I'm just doing the lessons and not assessments right now and when we hit the unit test I'll consider how she's gotten it as to whether I completely halt on math until she gets it or we move on and just keep reviewing. I'm beyond frustrated right now. She can read a digital clock just fine, but God help her if she has to do any time counting ahead or read an analog clock.................. I'm getting frustrated with her here in this.

ok back to it, I just had to take a break long enough to complain.

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

kittie313 is offline  
#193 of 216 Old 02-02-2010, 04:05 PM
 
GinaRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lghtly toasted and fogged in NorCal
Posts: 5,485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
Welcome!

I've been thinking we ought to put together a post of all the items that k12 just assumes we have in our houses, for those who are just starting out with the program.

Off the top of my head, things I've had to purchase are:
hole punch
note cards
pipe cleaners
TONS of construction paper, of various sizes including 12x18
Sketch paper (art paper)
Glue sticks
String (I've just been using yarn)

(I already had watercolors, glue, pencils, erasers, crayons, my own tempera paints, and scissors) I suspect that at the rate we're going through it, I will need to buy a lot more tempera paint too (or do they send you more of that stuff every year?).
That's the kind of stuff we bought too as well as poster board. But we've spent a lot on "household items" for science lessons/experiments for my 3rd grader.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
GinaRae is offline  
#194 of 216 Old 02-02-2010, 04:10 PM
 
GinaRae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lghtly toasted and fogged in NorCal
Posts: 5,485
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 3rd grader is a pretty smart lil cookie but quite unmotivated and he cuts as many corners as he can. It's so frustrating that he will only give a full effort once in a while and usually just writes the bare minimum.

We're almost done with the 3rd grade LA/Lit/Spelling curriculum for the year and I decided to cut the aggravation of getting him to read and remember and respond to a book that's on his level. Instead I chose Sarah, Plain and Tall and we've combined it with the section in composition for writing a book report. We're doing every chapter together, then taking notes for the questions. We've reviewed and completed the assessment and began and completed to lesson 3 in that composition unit. I want to show him the process from beginning to end for each part. I don't know if it's going in one ear and out the other...

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
GinaRae is offline  
#195 of 216 Old 02-11-2010, 12:07 AM
 
amis2girls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: who knows :)
Posts: 1,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We just got word today that my oldest has been approved for 2nd grade on k12 starting Monday, so I officially belong here.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
amis2girls is offline  
#196 of 216 Old 02-11-2010, 01:23 AM
 
eilonwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lost
Posts: 15,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having the opposite problem with the reading list. Bean is reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe right now. I wish there were more choices on the list which take into account the fact that a very advanced reader might get to the most advanced books on the list before the end of LA3.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
eilonwy is offline  
#197 of 216 Old 02-11-2010, 02:44 AM
 
eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mexico
Posts: 7,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rynna, there were new selections with 5th grade LA - maybe a few with 4th grade, too. Liam just finished War of the Worlds and Johnny Tremain. Of course, you'd have to evaluate the content of those for him - Johnny Tremain is Revolutionary War (with some of the violence that goes along with it) and of course WOTW is a violent alien invasion. Liam was okay with them, but he's a little older than Bean and not really bothered by that sort of thing. Lord of the Rings is another one I noticed that I don't think was on earlier list. I don't know if Bean has read The Book of Three, but if he's enjoying The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe , he might enjoy that. I can't remember if it was a choice for 3rd grade LA, or if it showed up in 4th.
eclipse is offline  
#198 of 216 Old 02-11-2010, 12:49 PM
 
kittie313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amis2girls View Post
We just got word today that my oldest has been approved for 2nd grade on k12 starting Monday, so I officially belong here.
Welcome!!!!! Let me know how 2nd grade is, we're closing in on finishing some of our 1st grade stuff with Melissa this month (math and hopefully science and *possibly* history) and I can't wait to see what we've got going on when that happens.

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

kittie313 is offline  
#199 of 216 Old 02-11-2010, 03:01 PM
 
eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mexico
Posts: 7,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rhiannon is in all 2nd grade curriculum (except Art) Cat, so if you have any questions, let me know.
eclipse is offline  
#200 of 216 Old 02-11-2010, 04:24 PM
 
kittie313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there any difference in the format from 1st to second? I am watching to see when it transitions to more independent work so that I have a better idea of it all, and am actually looking forward to Melissa starting to get a little more independent.

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

kittie313 is offline  
#201 of 216 Old 02-12-2010, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter
 
elanorh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been awhile since I've checked in ... we are putting along. We've had to stop doing Math assessments for a little while, while we went through the money lessons (we usually pay with our debit cards, she hasn't really dealt with change much, especially since when we do have change, it goes straight into their college fund piggy bank). Money lessons were the most difficult to do with SJ 'helping,' too. Shiny coins!! Mom and sister organizing things in piles and counting!! Wow! How can we insert ourselves into this process and do what WE want to do?!

We are on track to be done with K math well before April though, so I think we will be able to get the first grade math that we can work on over the summer. My plan is to probably do math every 2-3 days during the summer, not 5 days/week. And to mostly do unit studies of our own during the summer just to keep skills up (in a perfect world we'd get first grade phonics before summer too but I don't think we'll be able to do that especially if it's linked to the LA stuff) .... I especially want to do the butterfly project where you watch the chrysallis and then release the butterflies. I think both girls would really enjoy that - just need to research it a little more; I want to make sure whatever we get is indigenous to our area etc. so it will survive after being released. And so it doesn't become an invasive species where it doesn't belong! Although I think the first option is the most likely "oops."

There's a science program here for kids, too, a summer camp type experience (without sleeping over) - I need to look into the costs and see whether we want to sign her up for some of it. Since I've not done anything to get to know a homeschooling group here, I do need to do some more socializing things for her than just art class and swim lessons!

Not all who wander are lost.
elanorh is offline  
#202 of 216 Old 02-12-2010, 09:59 AM
 
kittie313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Elanorh- so nice to know that we're not the only family that had trouble with the money unit because we don't use cash! LOL We follow the Dave Ramsey financial plan here, but we don't actually carry cash. We use our debit cards for everything, hub has one attached to his individual checking account (his paycheck goes there and the main bills are paid from it) and my card is attached to the joint account (the autopay bills for insurance are taken from it, along with all household expenses, but I have FULL access to his account since they are linked along with the savings in our online banking so I can shift money around however I need to) So my kids have NEVER really handled cash, nor have they seen us handle it much. When we did the money unit here last month with them, they just stared at me like HUH when I explained it to them and we started practicing. They never got it, so I decided to ask their teacher if it was OK for us to just skip money and keep working on it until they got it down and THEN do the assessments (she said it was fine) I ended up having to do the same with Melissa on telling time too, so chances are that here soon when we finish math 1 with her she won't be able to move on until we get time or money down pat. I am soooo tempted to just throw my hands up and fudge the assessments for a unit so that she can move on since we're working daily on them now (well right now I'm focusing on money, then we'll do time) We don't keep change in this house either, so I'm having to use the punch-out coins in the back of their textbooks instead LOL We're going to go buy a cash drawer (one to a cash register) and set it up with a roll of each coin and some bills (all REAL MONEY) so that we can really work on money well, but its taking some time because we have to save up that much to pull from our account.

Am I strange for admitting that I'm looking forward to moving up to the next grade level in each subject? I'm considering having a little party and presentation for the girls as they each finish a grade level and go up to the next one, having them hand in their empty student pages book and giving them a certificate for finishing that grade of the subject and then giving them the new grade level.

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

kittie313 is offline  
#203 of 216 Old 02-18-2010, 11:39 AM
 
kittie313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I requested math 1 today for Lydia. I can't believe I'm already at that place with one of my kids, its pretty cool actually. We're making great progress in all our work, and I feel really good about it all.

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

kittie313 is offline  
#204 of 216 Old 02-25-2010, 10:35 AM
 
kittie313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So how are we all doing with our k12 kids? There's not been any activity at all on this thread in like a week............... lol

We got an e-mail last night from k12 to send back math K stuff, and on my OLS it is showing that the math 1 for Lydia is in the warehouse processing now. So I need to dig up the manipulatives to send back, I have NO CLUE if I can find them all though so they'll be getting partial I think (having 4 kids, with one being a 2yo that likes to run off with stuff, makes this difficult at times) I don't know, maybe I'll just pull from our current math 1 stuff to have a set to send back for math K, and then do a partial for math 1. lol We'll see what happens, I didn't have everything to send back when we went from phonics 1 to phonics K and I didn't get a word from them on it so we'll likely take that route of just sending back what we can.

I missed our gym date yesterday, another mom in the area set up a monthly gym for OHVA kids in K-2nd grade. My H still hasn't gotten my van dug out of the snow, even though we have a snowblower now (he bought it last week and its STILL in the box, he looks for excuses to not do anything) and today's snow is the first one since we had those snow storms roll through. Heck half the snow that dumped on us has melted off, and yet he didn't get up and do anything................. So my dad is coming over to babysit while I take our 4WD truck out to get some groceries and gas, then he's going to get the snowblower together and get my driveway dug out for the most part so that I can get the van out again. He also mentioned getting the big girls out there with shovels when he's not running the blower to help him with the area directly around my van, so we've got PE to mark off today instead of yesterday's gym date.

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

kittie313 is offline  
#205 of 216 Old 02-25-2010, 11:50 AM
 
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Earth, I think, kids say Cybertron
Posts: 7,895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittie313 View Post
So how are we all doing with our k12 kids? There's not been any activity at all on this thread in like a week............... lol

We got an e-mail last night from k12 to send back math K stuff, and on my OLS it is showing that the math 1 for Lydia is in the warehouse processing now. So I need to dig up the manipulatives to send back, I have NO CLUE if I can find them all though so they'll be getting partial I think (having 4 kids, with one being a 2yo that likes to run off with stuff, makes this difficult at times) I don't know, maybe I'll just pull from our current math 1 stuff to have a set to send back for math K, and then do a partial for math 1. lol We'll see what happens, I didn't have everything to send back when we went from phonics 1 to phonics K and I didn't get a word from them on it so we'll likely take that route of just sending back what we can.
I don't think they do anything if you don't return them. We still have the materials from 1st and 2nd for my 3rd grader. I never even got a return request except for the computer after I pulled her from 1st. There all sitting in the closet, I've tried sending them back a couple of times and its just been a huge headache. Were doing 3rd now and still not a glitch in getting our materials despite still having the other years.

Seriously?
Satori is offline  
#206 of 216 Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 PM
 
eclipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mexico
Posts: 7,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
I don't think they do anything if you don't return them. We still have the materials from 1st and 2nd for my 3rd grader. I never even got a return request except for the computer after I pulled her from 1st. There all sitting in the closet, I've tried sending them back a couple of times and its just been a huge headache. Were doing 3rd now and still not a glitch in getting our materials despite still having the other years.
Us, too. I've sent back a couple of things, but i have several boxes full of stuff from grades k-4 that are not currently in use. We still have all the K manipulatives, too. I'm probably not going to stick with k12 next year, so I'm going to have a ton of boxes to send back if I can ever get them to actually send me correct shipping labels!
eclipse is offline  
#207 of 216 Old 02-25-2010, 02:24 PM
 
eilonwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Lost
Posts: 15,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The math manipulatives, I've ended up sending those back almost every time we finish a course. Sometimes, though, they tell us to hang on to them because they're used for subsequent courses. For science, I have two different kits and was told that each should last for a few years (K-2, 3-5) and not to send them back until the child had completed the last course in the sequence. I've sent back lots and lots of books, but most of the manipulatives end up staying through at least two courses.

We've been crazy busy. In fact, I need to get back on the schoolwork right now.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
eilonwy is offline  
#208 of 216 Old 02-25-2010, 02:30 PM
 
ALittleBitCrunchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hogwarts library
Posts: 627
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Things are going okay here. I'm unhappy at how little of our curriculum matches the K12 curriculum - it leaves me with a lot of work to do. For instance, we started history with the big bang and worked our way up to early towns. NONE of that is in this curriculum, so we have an entire year of history to do. Same with science - we just did different topics.

Math has been a struggle for DS. It was a struggle before, so that's not a K12 thing. He doesn't get money, either. But DD does so for us it's just a difference in kids

I'm not happy with the K program. There's no science, for one thing, and they won't let us start 1st grade science. She was doing 1st grade math before but they made us start in K and I still don't have 1st grade stuff. We're doing a different phonics program (I don't like theirs) so I just dutifully mark of a day's worth of work every time we do phonics.

She's on schedule to finish phonics and language arts in mid-late April and I'm thinking that we won't get to advance until then. It's frustrating. Meanwhile, DS is on schedule for an end date of late June for some topics and not until October for Music. Ugh. Kid has been doing school since last July so this will be the longest school year in history. To do it all over, I would start at the beginning of a school year because this midyear approach is a pain.

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

ALittleBitCrunchy is offline  
#209 of 216 Old 03-08-2010, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter
 
elanorh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 2,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No science for K? That stinks. It must rely on what the state has set as a standard -- we've been doing K science all year. Although, much of it has been stuff she already knew (we just finished 'learning' the seasons ); dd1 loved the experiments etc. though so it's been fine.

We are burning through math quickly now. Our teacher had told us we needed to have it completed by March 30th, then she called last week and said k12 had told them that it actually needed to be completed by the 15th, if we wanted to next year's lessons. So - we have 13 math lessons left to do. And everything else is a bit on the back burner 'til we get through with Math. Fortunately, we were caught up in everything last week (we're two lessons behind in history now though, what with squeezing as much math as possible in).

I haven't heard anything about returning manipulatives yet, but then I haven't officially completed Kmath yet.

We had been doing Phonics once a week in a big gulp, because dd1 was really getting it. However, I think I need to break it into twice a week chunks. We're getting into more of the digraphs and she's getting sloppy with her finger-stretching. I do wonder whether we should be reading more though at this point. Tonight we read a library book about Eleanor Roosevelt, and I had her read the quotes from Eleanor in the book - she did pretty well, there were some large words involved. But she still guesses if reading quickly, and needs to focus a bit more on fingerstretching while figuring words out.

I'm thinking this thread has become long enough, we could/should start a new thread? K12 Spring 2010?

Those of you planning to continue to do some school during the summer, what are your plans? We are planning to do math 1-2 times/week, and keep working on phonics via the read-aloud section of books at the library - and do unit studies on science, history, etc. as we feel the urge. We'll probably do some in-depth stuff on space and dinosaurs, since they are both big fascinations for Ina. I don't know that I'll go purchase any unit studies (other than the butterfly project where we order the butterfly kit and then watch and care for the caterpillars through metamorphosis and release the butterflies) -- I think the rest of the unit studies, I'll rely on the library for books to read etc.

I need to start researching more thoroughly what we're going to do for Music next year - violin or piano. I think I'll be able to sub it straight-out for the k12 music program (hurray!).

We are going to keep doing k12 next year. So far, we've been pretty happy with it (or with how we've figured out how to massage it). I think it's done a pretty good job of keeping me 'on task' and not procrastinating.

Not all who wander are lost.
elanorh is offline  
#210 of 216 Old 03-08-2010, 05:40 AM
 
Satori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Earth, I think, kids say Cybertron
Posts: 7,895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do you know if the March 15th cut off is for all k12? Thats really really early in the year! I like being able to work over the summer but there's no way we'd get everything done by the 15th.

Seriously?
Satori is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off