k12/Virtual Academy Winter 2009 - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#211 of 216 Old 03-08-2010, 11:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
considering k12 so subbing here. thanks mamas....

Elizabeth
CNM mama to William 10, Clarissa 8 and Tucker 3
#212 of 216 Old 03-08-2010, 12:56 PM

They sent me EIGHT UPS labels for returning stuff. One is for her K math (the 1st grade stuff is finally in the mail) and the other seven are for things still in use. I was surprised because manipulatives are going back and they had them in DS's 2nd grade stuff. We've never opened hers so it's no big deal, just odd. But eight boxes of stuff was a surprise.

I was startled to learn that grade promotion is based on hours and not lesson completion. They really don't care how much we finish as long as we have enough hours documented. And there are no grades. None. DS is disappointed because he really wants a report card. :

I'm irritated that there is a K science out there! I'm looking forward to next year's curriculum as the K one hasn't been challenging. Makes me feel better about the homeschooling we'd already finished

WOHM to DS11 and DD9, both T1Ds

#213 of 216 Old 03-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori View Post
Do you know if the March 15th cut off is for all k12? Thats really really early in the year! I like being able to work over the summer but there's no way we'd get everything done by the 15th.
Our teacher (also CAVA) told us earlier in the year that there's no official deadline, and it's taken on a case by case basis. Last year, I think it was sometime in April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALittleBitCrunchy View Post
They sent me EIGHT UPS labels for returning stuff. One is for her K math (the 1st grade stuff is finally in the mail) and the other seven are for things still in use. I was surprised because manipulatives are going back and they had them in DS's 2nd grade stuff. We've never opened hers so it's no big deal, just odd. But eight boxes of stuff was a surprise.

I was startled to learn that grade promotion is based on hours and not lesson completion. They really don't care how much we finish as long as we have enough hours documented. And there are no grades. None. DS is disappointed because he really wants a report card. :

I'm irritated that there is a K science out there! I'm looking forward to next year's curriculum as the K one hasn't been challenging. Makes me feel better about the homeschooling we'd already finished
Do you have to return everything separately? They've sent us lots of labels in the past, but asked only that we separate by child, not by subject. They just send a lot so you can split it up however you want, and because I think each tag has a weight maximum associated with it (I can't remember how much it is).

For us, I think promotion is also based on hours rather than curriculum completed, but they do get pissy if you aren't progressing at a pace they want you to. We have report cards, too - but they are just something like "progressing adequately/not progressing adequately" or something, and we can ask the teacher to add comments from us, but I never do. I like that there aren't "real" grades.
#214 of 216 Old 03-08-2010, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALittleBitCrunchy View Post

You sure about that? Last year dd only had like 3-4 months of hours and did all of 2nd grade in that time and they promoted her to 3rd grade.

Seriously?
#215 of 216 Old 03-08-2010, 02:57 PM

Wow I wonder how OHVA does grade promotions. Lydia has almost completed all her *reguired* hours for this school year already, while Melissa is just a *hair* behind on hours (can easily make it up over the next couple weeks, we always seem to be a little behind like this though lol) I'm not rushing to promote any of my girls, I like having Lydia in the half-day K program this year. But still, it would be interesting to see how it works.

When they sent us shipping labels for Melissa's phonics and lang arts 1, we got like 8 labels too. I was only sending back 3 subjects though (those two plus music 1 that we got switched from curriculum to attendance-only) so I thought it was kind of off to have all those labels.

Since its March, maybe we should start a spring thread soon. This one IS pretty long......... lol

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#216 of 216 Old 03-08-2010, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

OK, all, I've got a "Spring" thread started! C'mon over!

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...1#post15159941

Not all who wander are lost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page