Mothering Forum banner

k12/Virtual Academy Winter 2009

12K views 215 replies 25 participants last post by  elanorh 
#1 ·
Since the Fall thread was getting quite long, I thought we should start a new thread for the winter season.

I'm wondering how those of us who are doing k12 for the first time, are feeling about next year? Are you going to stick with k12, do you think?

We have talked about continuing, or transitioning to full-on homeschooling. We've also talked about whether, if we have another child in the next year or two (something currently being debated in our house) -- would we want to put Ina in public school that year, assuming that keeping up with k12's expectations for attendance etc. would be too much bother with a newborn in the house.....

We are liking k12, we like our 'teacher,' the things we have not liked are phonics (but resolved via starfall), and music .... I'm not a huge fan of the art program, which seems very structured to me, but we're working around that.

See less See more
#3 ·
If dh and I stay together, then I'll be sticking with OHVA and using k12. We REALLY like it, and I don't see a reason at all to get away from it. The kids are learning a lot, way more than they'd be getting in our local public school district (if they were to enter right now, my K'er would be placed in 1st grade and my 1st grader would test into 2nd grade, possibly 3rd) I just can't stand the music program, it was too ummmmmmm how can I say it? As a professional musician I was appalled by it, that's all I can say. My 1st grader is doing MUCH better with violin lessons and we're getitng ready to start a unit study and lapbook that I pulled from Homeschool Share for her to do (just gotta run to the library to pick up the books for it today) I'm not too keen on the art program, but it is literally the only way to guarantee that she does art. I am not a crafty person at all, but I'm working on it. Maybe next school year we'll try doing art without the program, since I'll have the 2 oldest able to do art together. I have ideas for art that we can do next year, and I'm making notes now and expanding on these ideas so that we can do it.

But if we do end up splitting, the kids will go in public school and I'll likely find a way to buy k12 history for the girls to do supplementing the public school's program. I really like the history program a lot, that is the biggest reason we love k12 right now. (and I really like the structure of the OHVA, its helping me to stay focused and accountable so that we do lessons most of the time, this weekend I have to make up about 3 days' worth of lessons for each kid though since he's been on vacation all week)

#4 ·
I am not sure what our plan is for next year. There are so many things we really enjoy about K12. We love that everything is supplied, it really is good stuff he is learning, and I like everything laid out for me. I also like that there is flexibility within the program. What I don't like? The overhead. The assessments, and eventually the testing (once he is in 3rd grade, I think). That is something I am not sure I want to deal with, even with all of the "pros" of using K12. My whole heart isn't in this (as of right now) because I really am not liking having to answer to someone. I am torn. He was loving discovering to read, until we started K12 and now he sees it as a chore, which is NOT what we wanted to accomplish. We've basically stopped doing any and all phonics, including assessments, to bring back the joy of learning to read. I wanted to give this a shot, and I'm glad that we did, but the beauty of homeschooling is being able to change when something isn't working. And as of right now, I am not too sure this is working for us. We'll stick it out this year though, he is really enjoying the history, science and math. And who knows, maybe something will click and he'll want to continue next year. We'll see

#5 ·
We have been using the k12 program through our state's virtual academy until this past week, starting last year with kindergarten. I've become a little upset over a few logistics of the virtual academy. Having said that I've switched to a school district here in our state that allows you to pick and choose subjects with k12 and then you can supplement on your own. We will be starting with them on Monday. I'm sticking with k12 math program, history program, and science program. I've settled on a phonics program, language arts program, and art and music via other methods. I think this will make for a happy family.

#6 ·
Cat - sending a
your direction. I hope however your situation works out is the healthiest and most positive possible for you all.

I actually feel a little guilty about considering not doing k12 next year, just because I really like our teacher. Our phone conversations are great, she is really impressed with Ina, she's helped us problem-solve several things (notably the phonics), and she absolutely understands that we are on the road so much (many of our weekly phone calls were to my cell phone while we were traveling). I do like the math, history, and science curricula a lot. We got through the phonics issue -- I don't anticipate another bump with it. And while some of the reading stuff I haven't cared for (more violence and gender stereotyping than I'd like in some of the stories), we've gotten through that pretty well. I'm not actually that disturbed by the 'violence,' but Ina is sensitive to that .... Art is workable. Music I loathe.

So, we could switch 'our own' curriculum, and hopefully like all the components we are using ... or, we can continue to get along with k12. I honestly am not sure which we will do. SJ is tagging along and learning with Ina, I wouldn't be surprised if she is reading at this point next year .... The thought of coordinating schoolwork for two kids via k12 intimidates me a little (we're several years out from that, thank goodness!) .... It seems like history and science really need to be done AT the computer, although I suspect that math, reading, phonics/spelling could be done away from the computer while sibling did a computer-heavy lesson.....

I might be a bit ahead of myself though!
This weekend we're doing catch-up on Music and Art (I hope) - I am also hoping to get the last of my apples dried and made into apple mincemeat this weekend, and need to get a care package together for my sister who's in the Peace Corps. I have not sewn since school began for Ina .... I would really like to have a weekend where I can get some PJs made for the girls, and get Ina's Christmas dress made soon.

#7 ·
I'm not sure if we're staying with CAVA after this year (or even after the first semester). While there's a lot we like about it, there are some parts that are starting to bug me (really pushing using Study Island eeryday, trying to convince me that I "have to" have my kids do weekly scheduled elluminate classes, etc). San Diego has a lot of choices when it comes to homeschool charters, and most of them will even pay for extra curriculars like sports, music, art classes, field trips, etc. There's a lot about the curriculum I love, though, so who knows.

As of now, ds1 has been moved up to 5th grade math and LA - we're just waiting on the books. DD is about move up in science, too.

#8 ·
I think it's finally time for me to de-lurk. I followed your whole other k12 thread

My name is Amy. I have two kiddos. DD turned 6 in Oct and is in K, DS turned 4 in Oct.

I'm not sure how I'm feeling about k12. My feelings seem to change hourly. I was pretty happy until my teacher was fired (or quit) in Oct. It took them over 3 weeks to get us a new teacher. We really liked our teacher, she had been with CAVA for 5 years and she seemed pretty laid back and never bugged us at all. I haven't met our new teacher yet, just talked to her very briefly on the phone. She does have 3 kids in CAVA so I'm hoping that is a good sign.

My best 'mom' friend also has a Kindergarten DD in CAVA. She had her face to face meeting on Thursday and her teacher was telling her that k12 isn't going to let them advance students in individual subjects anymore. They have to be 90% complete in all subjects before they will send new curriculum. I know phonics/language arts are tied together but she was talking about everything. If this is true, I'm going to be seriously annoyed. We are half way done with math but just about right on track with everything else.

What I don't like:
I find myself buying more and more supplemental curriculum. We have completely abandoned the k12 phonics. We are using Hooked on Phonics (just started 1st grade) and Explode the Code. We REALLY like both of those things.
I just ordered Miquon math to use as a supplement. It's hard for me to tell if I like k12 math because we haven't learned anything 'new' with it yet.
Language Arts - I just don't know. I don't know what we're supposed to be getting out of it.
We HATE our elluminate class. DD absolutely refuses to sit there and participate. Her class is math and they do about 10 problems in 30 minutes (snooze).

What I do like:
I like the structure and accountability. I like knowing that someone is keeping track of what we are doing and that I have to get a certain amount of stuff done. I'm really afraid without the accountability, I could get REALLY off track.
I like the History and Science. I don't necessarily use their lessons but I get books from the library on those subjects to meet the objectives.
We also like the Spanish. DD really loves it, it is her favorite thing, she loves dressing up her avatar.

I'm going to actually post in this thread now instead of just reading it.

I meant to say that if we leave CAVA next year we will go to another charter. Like Eclipse said, there are a lot of good options for charters around here.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten18 View Post
My best 'mom' friend also has a Kindergarten DD in CAVA. She had her face to face meeting on Thursday and her teacher was telling her that k12 isn't going to let them advance students in individual subjects anymore. They have to be 90% complete in all subjects before they will send new curriculum. I know phonics/language arts are tied together but she was talking about everything. If this is true, I'm going to be seriously annoyed. We are half way done with math but just about right on track with everything else.
I can't imagine them actually doing this. I think they would loose so many people if they attempted this and it actually goes against everything I've heard so far about the VA's. If they do an overall acceleration only they will be grade advancing kids and they are so reluctant to do that overall (I believe because of the impact on test scores). Kids who are subject accelerated remain in their same grade so once testing comes around they pull up the average. I would contact k12 if I were really concerned.

I think my biggest issue so far is the luck of the draw with the teacher. It would seem we have a really easy going and great teacher but my biggest concern is how that might change from year to year. I've heard other people tell stories of elluminates being mandatory, but our teacher says they are mandatory for her to offer but optional for us to attend. When we do the elluminates DD participates but they only last like 10-15 minutes. DD spends the rest of the time playing tic-tac-toe with other people (mostly the teacher I think)

Our teacher is very proactive and urged us the first day of school to assess out of anything we knew. DD has already moved on to the next curriculum in math with no issues. The teacher is urging me (by combining lessons to 1 story per day) to move faster in LA to catch it up to where we are in phonics which DD assessed out of. That way DD can move up there as well in order to be challenged in phonics. Doing the LA lessons that way will give us 4ish weeks of LA in 5 days.

I also have been supplementing in phonics though. I pick and choose which activities to do that DD enjoys from the curriculum and do our own thing with the rest. It doesn't bother me so much, except that she's almost done with the supplemental materials I have and I'm worried she will stagnate until we get caught up in LA.

Math 1 has been more interesting for her. Some of it is still material she knows but much more of it is new then in the K curriculum. She's still moving at a fast clip but she's not doing only assessments everyday now. We've actually gotten into learning with it. I would suggest assessing out of K math.

Overall I'm really liking it. I don't think YDD could go to a B&M school next year now though which wasn't something we'd really considered going into it. Our plan was just to do it for a year but I think we'd be doing her a great disservice if we tried to put her in an institutionalized school at this point. Maybe when she's a bit older. As I've said ODD wants to do it next year as well so she can learn at her own pace. We'll see how her school reacts to this. I've been informed by a teacher on staff that they will be incredibly reluctant to let ODD go and the threat of our leaving could give them a kick in the butt. DH is sold though on K12 or HS'ing and I'd hate to only get accommodations for ODD upon threat of leaving, I don't play that way.

I too really like and need the accountability.

#10 ·
No one linked this thread to the old one, so I stopped getting notifications. I don't go trolling around the forums very often, so I get lost a lot.

In any case, this isn't our first year with K12 and I'm hoping to do it next year... but life is complicated, and it may not be an option. There's another school that uses K12 in this state, but they are entirely unwilling to advance Bean the way that he needs to be advanced. If we still have our school next year, I'm kind of hoping to enroll Bella; The other K12 school wouldn't even consider that (her birthday is in March, so she'd be 4.5 starting in the fall of '10). Without Agora, Bean and Bella will have to be homeschooled independently; Boobah will have the option of continuing with another cyber school if she likes. Different kids, different learning styles, different needs.

#11 ·
I just put a link in the old thread, so hopefully anyone else who doesn't know about the new thread can find us again.
Thanks for the heads-up!

I 'hear' the disparate learning style/progress issue for sure ... I hadn't really worked on 'school' much with Ina at this age, just the alphabet and writing her name (which I don't think I really worked on 'til she was closer to 4) - but SJ knows the whole alphabet, upper and lower case letters, and their sounds, thanks to starfall and thanks to hanging out while Ina does her lessons.

I've been thinking that it is very likely that she'll be reading before she starts an official "kindergarten." Which would definitely complicate things!

We got through two art classes and two music lessons today, but I didn't get the apple mincemeat and dried apple rings made. So tomorrow will be busy!

#12 ·
Hello, I am so glad to see someone from Wyoming posting about the virtual academy! I have been researching for days now and it seems there just aren't that many doing it in Wyoming...or else they are all too busy to ramble around the web.

We have homeschooled for 17 years, and have 8 children still at home (ranging in age from 3 to 14). One of my preschoolers is special needs and takes a lot of time away from the others. To say I am burnt out would be an understatement!

We are considering enrolling the older 6 in WYVA. If not all 6 (grades K, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 9) then we will at least do the 9th grader.

It seems information is in short supply online - or else it is all geared for people leaving public schools and not necessarily for veteran homeschoolers. We have always schooled traditionally - workbooks, test, quizzes, standardized testing, etc.

Anything you could share about actually using WYVA would be greatly appreciated! Specifically, I'm wondering about parental time involved, how working at your own pace actually works, can you work on weekends or while traveling (I saw that briefly mentioned), whether the thought of 6 students in WYVA makes your head explode...that kind of thing. I can't figure out if you get 1 computer per family, or per student. How many students can efficiently share a computer (we have 3 "school" computers, but two would not be compatible with OLS).

According to the person I talked with on the phone, starting mid-year should not be a problem. True or false? How difficult was your local school district about the registration (I've never had to deal with them).

Really, just ANYTHING you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.

Robyn (from Glenrock, WY)

#13 ·
Hi Robyn! Welcome to Mothering! (I'm assuming you're new to the boards here, since the above is your first post).
Here is a link to the Wyoming thread in the "Finding your Tribe" forum here, if you want to check that out:
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho....php?t=1102138

OK, in terms of WYVA ---
We had seriously considered homeschooling, and ended up doing k12 just because I hadn't adequately researched curriucula etc. for homeschooling, and k12 looked like it would work with us, free, less work for me in terms of researching. But, this is my only 'homeschooling' experience other than a completely unschooled approach to preschool with Ina.
So I don't know about how the transition from homeschool to public in-home virtual academy would go ... it probably is an individual issue in the end. Perhaps some of the other moms on this thread will be able to describe how it went with their older kids, although I don't know if anyone has a high school student.

I have a friend whose public-schooled junior took an English class online last year and he enjoyed it and did well. It was very much on his own (little need for his mom to supervise) and I think that's pretty much the way the high school level lessons are supposed to work.

And, since Ina is just in K, I don't know how the computer thing would work. One would hope with that number of students, they'd at least send a couple computers!! Ina and SJ fight over the k12 computer as it is .... we have a small netbook that we bought for doing k12 on the road, and often we have Ina on the big computer and SJ on the little one, just for the sake of peace!

All your materials are FREE. You might need to buy some supplemental stuff (construction paper etc.) but your entire curriculum is free; combine that with the library, and you've got books pretty much covered. I don't much care for the Phonics program, but if you've homeschooled this long, you should be able to plug in phonics from your homeschool stash instead of using their curriculum (just take their assessments).

It seems that each year kids are in k12, they become more and more self-directed and autonomous; so since most of your kids are over 4th grade, I'd imagine that once you've learned how it works and become comfortable with it, your work load will diminish. The first few weeks of learning how it WORKS though, will take some time!

The kids will all have to take the public school tests, since they are public school students. So be aware of that; I don't know whether they'll want to do a placement test when you enroll them (starting with a K student from the beginning allowed me to bypass that issue).

In terms of how your school district will work with them -- I think some districts are working well with them. My school district refused, so we are enrolled directly with WYVA and enrolled in their HQ school (Lusk) -- if your local district wants some credit for your kids' scores, and wants some of the state and federal $$ that your kids would have brought to them in the public schools, then they'll cooperate and have your kids enrolled via them into the WYVA program. But you can enroll whether they are cooperative or not, you just need to show that you contacted them to allow them to cooperate.

For us, school with Ina most days takes about 3 hours. We travel a LOT, and when we travel, I bring work to do in the car (usually heavy on phonics, reading, math) and then do the more online lessons (history, science, art) at the destination. We need to submit attendance daily but we don't have to do all the classes each day, and can work into the weekend. There have been days where I did Monday's work on Sunday, and then Monday submitted attendance, but didn't do work since we'd already done it. We tell our 'teacher' what our schedule is and she's flexible.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaRae View Post
I figured out if we keep a stack of fresh library books on tons of subjects in the middle of the table, my son will grab one in between lessons and do an impromptu reading/discussion alone or with me. Then he seems refreshed and will easily transition into another lesson. So far there's less resistence and more happiness. Keep your fingers crossed!
This is working so well! We both stay fresh and invigorated. I'm going through some of the books beforehand and marking pages I really want to cover and we're sneaking in things like women's studies (basically filling in where women were left out of history assignments) and going more in depth with cool boy or kid stuff like the plague

Quote:

Originally Posted by gromero View Post
Thank you for that! Yes...I can do the boys science together!!! Just reading what you wrote and realizing how I can change things around (even though I knew I could, I was so overwhelmed, I just couldn't figure it out, kwim?) makes if it feel like I can actually do this!
Yay!! I am so glad!! I am also doing very well here since my update on 10/29. I feel like we're just grooving along now. Except for math, that is

Quote:

Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
So - Ina woke us up three hours early today. She snuggled with us in bed and flopped around for 1 1/2 hours before we all just got up. When I asked her why she woke so early, she said, "I wanted to get up and do phonics."
FABULOUS!!!!

#16 ·
Quote:

I just put a link in the old thread, so hopefully anyone else who doesn't know about the new thread can find us again.
Thanks for the heads-up!
Thanks so much! That's how I figured out where you were too, when I was catching up with e-mail notices

Quote:

I'm wondering how those of us who are doing k12 for the first time, are feeling about next year? Are you going to stick with k12, do you think?
This is the big question for me too. This is our first year and we're about 5 weeks in (late start) to the free public school option. I like the basic structure that I can fall back on so I don't have to figure out what a 3rd grader should learn, but I'm finding some things fall flat, so we're supplementing for free with the library and are considering paying for extra curriculum here and there.

I'm not hot about the art, music, and hear the spanish next year won't be fantastic. I'm starting to question the math too. Still, the basic structure and computer were free so...? Do I stay for the structure and just change things as I see fit? Perhaps. I think the fact that we have to be accountable to the CA public school system makes my hubs feel better too. Also, I do believe it's better than what he was getting in the classroom because I can teach to his abilities and add or omit extras.

Our teacher seems likable as long as you don't need anything. I am not one to bother her much, so it's surprised me that she hasn't replied to a couple of short e-mails.
Of course she seems realy nice, others like her, and perhaps there's a reason for not replying that I just don't know yet, so I'm not going to judge too harshly.

Quote:

We've also talked about whether, if we have another child in the next year or two (something currently being debated in our house) -- would we want to put Ina in public school that year, assuming that keeping up with k12's expectations for attendance etc. would be too much bother with a newborn in the house.....
Honestly, it's challenging with my toddler, but having had 3 kids in good public schools, I feel you will find that public schooling falls flat for your child because they teach to the middle and don't have time or money for things, is getting expensive because of budget cuts, is frustrating, and...well...just my personal thoughts on it

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathansmom View Post
I'm sticking with k12 math program, history program, and science program. I've settled on a phonics program, language arts program, and art and music via other methods. I think this will make for a happy family.
Will you share the others with us? I'm looking at options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
As of now, ds1 has been moved up to 5th grade math and LA - we're just waiting on the books. DD is about move up in science, too.
I'm in CA too (Napa). Does your son have to finish the whole book before the teacher orders the next grade level? I thought that he could asses out of it all and then when I asked, I was told he had to finish everything first.. well there are a LOT of Language Arts curricula to finish! Lit, analogies, comp, GUM, spelling... and in the meantime, he's under challenged on most of it. And with math, I THINK he should be further ahead and be more challenged, but he's highly unmotivated to finish the existing book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten18 View Post
Oh no no no! This is not what I was told a week ago. I am going to be very upset if this is true!!

Now 2 of you CAVA moms have mentioned weekly elluminate classes and I am STUMPED! We don't have any weekly classes and we're CAVA...only the 4-8th and some 9-12 offered. I don't think I've missed anything and the teacher hasn't mentioned it either. I wonder if our teacher just isn't offering them to us.

#18 ·
Quote:

I'm in CA too (Napa). Does your son have to finish the whole book before the teacher orders the next grade level? I thought that he could asses out of it all and then when I asked, I was told he had to finish everything first.. well there are a LOT of Language Arts curricula to finish! Lit, analogies, comp, GUM, spelling... and in the meantime, he's under challenged on most of it. And with math, I THINK he should be further ahead and be more challenged, but he's highly unmotivated to finish the existing book.

Oh no no no! This is not what I was told a week ago. I am going to be very upset if this is true!!

Now 2 of you CAVA moms have mentioned weekly elluminate classes and I am STUMPED! We don't have any weekly classes and we're CAVA...only the 4-8th and some 9-12 offered. I don't think I've missed anything and the teacher hasn't mentioned it either. I wonder if our teacher just isn't offering them to us.

He has to "finish" to 90% before she will order the new class, but we assess out of A LOT. For spelling, we only do the final test and do it orally because he's a great speller. For vocab, he's sooo advanced, I only do semester assessments. For comp, we do most of it because that's an area that he needs work on. For the literature itsellf, we often spend only one day on a story that spans several. For the lessons we skip, I just mark them completed, or fill in the assessment section on the computer as if he has taken it. We assessed out of a huge chunk of 3rd grade math last year. 4th grade was a little tougher, so we slowed down.

I'm wondering if the reason they haven't tried to get you in elluiminate classes is that you were a late starter? Also, some teachers were telling people that they were only for students who were struggling, while others were saying that all students had to do them. They are hour long virtual classes once per week in either math or LA. The biggest problem I have with them, aside from occupying even more time in front of the computer for the kids when I'm trying to reduce screen time, is that they require the kids to be at the computer at a certain time and day every week. We're HSing for flexibility and being tied to our house is not part of that. If they recorded them and let us access them on our own time, I would have been more inclined to let the kids do them.

#19 ·
Thanks!
We're assessing out a lot on LA as you mentioned. Spelling is the same as you, etc. Very quick with GUM. Going pretty quickly with comp. A bit slower with Lit. Math he could assess out more quickly right now, but he really dislikes doing math AT ALL right now, so we don't get as many done as I'd like.

#20 ·
Things are going better for us this week. The teacher is a really laid-back, sweet woman and after talking with her we figured things out. She really is a hands-off sort of person (which is what I want, I want as little contact as possible and the freedom to do our own thing) but when I need help with something she is on the ball. She also mentioned that if I request it, we can have her assigned to us next year as well, which is awesome since she already "knows" my son. I believe she would be our teacher all the way up through 5th grade. I really like that capability.

When I don't need help, we are only required contact once or twice a month! I love it. Don't know if it will always be like that, but for now, it's awesome.

We've shut out phonics complete. No lessons, no assessments. As long as I am working with him (BOB books, Reading Eggs, etc) and I look through the assessments myself and can show in some way that he knows them, that is sufficient. We are really enjoying the math, a lot. He asks to learn math every morning, first thing. History and Science are going well. Language Arts, I am not really sure of what we're supposed to get out of it, other than reading together (which we do a lot of). So the one part of me is thinking, if I am using my own phonics program, how much of K12 do I actually "need" and that is what my internal debate is. I mean, it'd be just as easy to put everything together myself, and just rent books from the library, etc. Math, I could easily put together as well. And I wouldn't have anyone to answer to, and no tests would need to be done. That is where the majority of my gut feeling is leading towards. I think K12 has given me a fantastic jumping off point, a nice kick start towards his education. I think we'll definitely finish off the year. But more and more I am feeling like next year we will just do our own thing. I still can't get over the whole "P.E." thing. This week I'm supposed to teach about the food pyramid. I wonder why it's a curriculum here and not other places. I didn't realize how much it varied state-by-state.

#21 ·
Quote:

Will you share the others with us? I'm looking at options.

For phonics we are using:
Explode the Code
McGuffey Primer and First Eclectic Reader
McGuffey for spelling
Spectrum's Sight words workbook
Bob books

For Language arts:
Classic Curriculum Reading
Classic Curriculum Writing
library books on nouns, verbs, etc.
First Lang Lessons Well-Trained Mind

For art:
checking out arts and crafts books and just doing crafts for the holidays.

For music:
We are using the book The Story of the Orchestra and reading about one instrument at a time. After instruments we'll move on to composers. The book is by Robert Levine.

Not sure how all of its going to come together yet as we haven't received all the materials I ordered for non-k12 stuff. We, for sure, will not be doing everything all at one time and may pick and choose stuff to work on. I do plan on tracking everything we do on my blog. I'll share it if your interested. I've only recently started tracking stuff on there for school but your welcome to read it and come back as I update.

#22 ·
anyone have a third grader doing K12 (we're CAVA) and at the "choose a novel" lesson for Literature? Is your child capable of reading most of these selections by themselves? Curious to get a feel for what's going on with others, as I found the choices long and some of them having quite sophisticated language. Not that they were too long, but that the daily reading requirements are heavy. Love to hear any feedback!! thanks kind moms!

#23 ·
Hey all,

I am thinking I want to scrap the K12 music program completely. I just don't like it. Maybe it's partially my own lack of musical ability. The lesson we just did was about 'rhythm vs. beat,' and as far as I could tell the only difference between the two was the fact that they INSIST that there is a difference between them.

I would think that the 'beat' is the 3/4 or 4/4 that's on musical notation. And rhythm is more the flow of the melody. But then, I don't have formal musical training, just choir in junior high and an agonizing 1 1/2 years of piano lessons. I'll freely admit that while I love music, I can't carry a tune at all.

I think once Ina is able to read well (next year?) we could just get her in piano lessons and/or some other musical training and substitute that for her music lessons. But I do feel like I should cover the topics they're asking us to cover, this year, at least. I don't feel like I have the time to root through our CD collection to find songs to play that would cover the same information .... I wish there were a really easy and fun kindergarten music curriculum out there. I googled around tonight and didn't find anything that looked compelling.

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SFMonique View Post
anyone have a third grader doing K12 (we're CAVA) and at the "choose a novel" lesson for Literature? Is your child capable of reading most of these selections by themselves? Curious to get a feel for what's going on with others, as I found the choices long and some of them having quite sophisticated language. Not that they were too long, but that the daily reading requirements are heavy. Love to hear any feedback!! thanks kind moms!
The ones near the top of the list are easier. My son has advanced reading skills, but we started with an easy fun one to work our way in and went with Henry Huggins by Beverly Cleary. It was very easy for him, and I think would still be easy for an average third grader. For a comparison, my first grader who is in 2nd grade LA read it recently and had no problem with it. If your son struggles with any of them, you can always do partial read aloud - he does some, you do some.

#26 ·
thank you! Yes, we chose Little House on the Prarie; I didn't have all the titles available. Henry Huggins probably would have been very good; but this one is working out; however, that's exactly what we're doing--We take turns reading pages. I'll have to check out the Cleary one, maybe for leisure reading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.