Homeschooling insulting to teachers? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2009, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a college president, my dad thinks our choice to homeschool is fantastic! He has found that homeschooled college students tend to do very well in college, and he likes the individual pathway they can each take. My mom, a former teacher, also thinks it is great.

My MIL, a teacher, thinks it's great, too. I don't think she really gets what our days are like, but she appreciates the result when she's around our intelligent, well-spoken children.

I have one aunt who says some negative things from time-to-time (a teacher), but she is generally negative, so I don't think it is necessarily about homeschooling, just an easy target for someone who doesn't want to think outside the box.

Stacy-- Wife to my DH, mom to three: noodle girl:, Lego boy , little guy :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 11:14 PM

Step-MIL is a teacher, and FIL is a retired college professor. And I have a sister who's a principal.

I have taken the coward's way out on this issue, at least a little. We travel ALOT and that would be disruptive to a public school classroom (where Step-MIL teaches) and even to a private classroom (where my sister is a principal). The public schools would have had her removed from the rolls by mid-October due to the travel we did this fall, and I suspect that the private school we considered would have strongly recommended against us traveling so much this fall too. And honestly I would have agreed with them - because in school, dd1 would be learning not just K stuff, but also 'how to be in school,' and that would have really disrupted that.

My sister has told me that she strongly believes that homeschooled children are seldom well educated; the ones she's been exposed to have had gaping holes in their education, according to her.

Step-MIL has been very quiet about it all and so has FIL. They try to keep their noses out of things -- Step-MIL has told us many times about what good schools we have here, and how flexible they can be, etc.

I think Step-MIL especially feels defensive about our choices, since she teaches in our own school district. We've been careful with her to couch it as a solution to our family's travel schedule, rather than an indictment of the public school system here (of course, she is critical of it herself sometimes).

Frankly, my sister's repeated explanations of how classrooms work ("You have to teach to the middle and bring the lower students up, the high achievers don't need the help as much and it's not my job to give them extra work, their parents should be supplementing if the classroom isn't challenging enough for them") has certainly informed our decision to homeschool. I know Ina would be in the oft-ignored higher-functioning group; and having been in both that group and the struggling-to-keep-one's-head-above-water group (at the same time) while growing up, myself, I see no reason to put Ina through that.

It's not an indictment of our teachers at all when I say that I firmly believe that our current system completely underestimates our children's abilities and capacities, while at the same time drowning them with 'just because' work. Kids aren't given enough time to be kids, and they're also not given the credit they deserve in terms of recognizing and supporting what and how they learn.

I actually met Mr. Guterson once (I had no idea who he was at the time) - it was shortly after Snow Falling on Cedars had been published. He is a very nice man.

Not all who wander are lost.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd love to see some actual stats... just to on occasion shut someone up with data.
http://www.nheri.org/

http://www.nheri.org/Research-Facts-...schooling.html

You can order a little pamphlet with quick facts on the current research here http://www.hslda.org/bookstore/items/hsprogress.asp - It is free but you might have to pay shipping???
Old 11-10-2009, 11:29 PM

Here's a great compilation of research - published in the Widener Law Review - it focused mostly on neutral sources that weren't automatically biased toward homeschooling (121 footnotes), so it's all the more impressive:

Evidence for Homeschooling: Constitutional Analysis in Light of Social Science Research.

Lillian
Old 11-10-2009, 11:51 PM

I don't think it is insulting at all.

Teachers offer a service. It really is up to you if you partake or not.

Moreover, a teacher who is insulted because "you think you can do as good a job as me with my degree and years of experience?!?" are not, IMHO, seeing the issue clearly. Being a HS parent is not the same, at all, as teaching a classroom. It is almost an apples to oranges comparison. So no, I do not think I can do as good a job teaching a classroom as you - but I am not teaching a classroom.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
http://www.nheri.org/

http://www.nheri.org/Research-Facts-...schooling.html

You can order a little pamphlet with quick facts on the current research here http://www.hslda.org/bookstore/items/hsprogress.asp - It is free but you might have to pay shipping???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post
Here's a great compilation of research - published in the Widener Law Review - it focused mostly on neutral sources that weren't automatically biased toward homeschooling (121 footnotes), so it's all the more impressive:

Evidence for Homeschooling: Constitutional Analysis in Light of Social Science Research.

Lillian

LOVE this board! Thanks!

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Old 11-11-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherdeg View Post
love this board! Thanks!
ytt

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 11-11-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
I don't think it is insulting at all.

Teachers offer a service. It really is up to you if you partake or not.

Moreover, a teacher who is insulted because "you think you can do as good a job as me with my degree and years of experience?!?" are not, IMHO, seeing the issue clearly. Being a HS parent is not the same, at all, as teaching a classroom. It is almost an apples to oranges comparison. So no, I do not think I can do as good a job teaching a classroom as you - but I am not teaching a classroom.

I think if a teacher is honestl that offended/insulted that you choose to homeschool, they really need to take a look at themselves and ask why? I think it is because, especially in the younger years, they know full well that parents are just as capable of teaching their individual child the things they need to know as a teacher in a classroom is So, as with humans in general, they feel the need to tear what we do down, to make what they do look superior. I'm really sorry if my homeschooling insults teachers, but it's not intentional, and I'm going to continue right on doing it until we decide not to anymore

Honestly if someone said that to me, that my homeschooling was an insult to teachers... I'd have to ask them when exactly were teachers told they were going to live their lives free of feeling insulted?

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 11-11-2009, 02:28 AM

Kate, Wife to DH and Mommy to a 5yo lovin' DS; three angels 4/08 9/08 3/10 in Heaven,
waitin' for my baby

Old 11-11-2009, 12:15 PM

i have a few teachers in my family and several friends for teachers. none have been offended by our choice at all. i imagine if i picked the education system apart or bad-mouthed public schools, etc., it may seem more personal to them, but our conversations are fairly generic. why i homeschool really isn't their business at all, ykwim?

OP, since this is your mom, i understand that you want her support. i'd feel the same way. but i would bet money that she'll get onboard later on. when she sees how wonderful and tailor-made homeschooling is to the child's education, i'm sure her opinion will sway. hugs to you.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 11-11-2009, 09:33 PM

IME public school teachers may be a little skeptical at first but they seem to warm up quickly to homeschooling. (I know 6 public school teachers between family and friends and a bunch more that teach in alternative venues, mostly arts and nature based). I am not sure any of them have an issue with home schooling that I know of.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:33 PM

a bit OT

The way to insult a teacher here is to ask why they need to be a graduate to teach 6 year olds or remind them that they have long holidays and finish work at 3pm.

Having spent from 8.30 to 3.00 in a nursery classroom 5 days a week for just one term, I can honestly say that I had never felt so mentally and physically exhausted.

I was a teacher of adults and I have seen the harm that school does and has done over decades. All my colleagues in Adult Learning were very supportive of our choice to home educate and so far I haven't had to justify my decision to any primary school teachers as I don't know any.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:04 AM

When I initially took my chilldren out of private school, I was ill-advised to do so. I was told I did not have "an environment in my home that was condusive to the education my children needed." Soooooooo.....I took them out anyway. Yes, the faculty was insulted, I recieved un-kind remarks fronm people, yes, I was ostrasized from my "real school" parent friends......and guess what.....I didn't care. I still don't.

Neither should you.

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

Old 11-12-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo7 View Post
When I initially took my chilldren out of private school, I was ill-advised to do so. I was told I did not have "an environment in my home that was condusive to the education my children needed." Soooooooo.....I took them out anyway. Yes, the faculty was insulted, I recieved un-kind remarks fronm people, yes, I was ostrasized from my "real school" parent friends......and guess what.....I didn't care. I still don't.

Neither should you.
They were wrong.. it has everything your children need for their education.. minus all the crap they don't need for schooling

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 11-12-2009, 01:40 AM

I haven't read the responses...

My 3rd grader just left his brick and mortar public school about 5 weeks ago. I was cringing at the thought of telling the school, but his teacher and the school secretary (both who would have been quite blunt about how they feel) seemed excited for this opportunity for him. We're going through K12.com curriculum with CAVA (the California Virtual Academy) which is still a part of the CA public school system, so pergaps that mkes the difference for them. But it's still homeschooling so....

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Old 11-12-2009, 02:27 AM

It's not about the teachers ...it is about the kids so I say acuna matata!
Old 11-12-2009, 07:11 AM

I haven't read the other replies yet (I will!) but I have some family members that are PS teachers. One in particular, upon finding out about our homeschooling, says "well, what did I go to college for?" She spreads that around and of course my family is thinking "You are right! you went to COLLEGE to be able to teach children! She has her high school diploma and didn't even GO to college...no WAY is she qualified to teach her own kids!"

Now that is what I find insulting. These people only know my children from visits at Christmas, who are they to judge? They have no idea what our family life is like at home...let alone would they even begin to see how much better off our kids are here, at home with the family that loves and adores them.

Off to read the rest

E, mama to DS (6) and DD (3)
I'm a and we are
Old 11-12-2009, 01:08 PM

My DH teaches, and my mom and sister used to teach. I make sure to recognize the many challenges that public school teachers face, and basically articulate that school teaching and learning at home are apples and oranges. I honor the many teachers who do their best to educate kids in schools, and I expect the same respect for my choice to help my kids learn outside of school.

So far, the biggest problem I've had is my mom, who's basically supportive, still sometimes acting like she has an expertise I don't that she's going to have to share to help me out

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
Old 11-12-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinlife1219 View Post
I haven't read the other replies yet (I will!) but I have some family members that are PS teachers. One in particular, upon finding out about our homeschooling, says "well, what did I go to college for?" She spreads that around and of course my family is thinking "You are right! you went to COLLEGE to be able to teach children! She has her high school diploma and didn't even GO to college...no WAY is she qualified to teach her own kids!"
That struck me funny, because my take would have been just the opposite - as in "Yeah! What did you go to college for? You don't need all that fuss in order to help children learn." Lillian
Old 11-12-2009, 09:44 PM

It's unfortunate that your mother feels the way she does. I am a teacher and plan to home school my kids. I think the simple and honest response to teachers that oppose home schooling is that even though teachers work very hard and do a fine job, for the most part, declining literacy rates, math proficiency, etc., etc. show that the system as a whole is failing. I don't blame teachers for that, but the statistics are undeniable. Studies also show that home-schooled children typically do much better than children who attend public school in the areas tested. Home schooling seems to work very well for most kids. I won't even get into the cultural shortcomings of public school (i.e., most junior high schools (and high schools) are cultural vomitoriums).

I hope you're able to smooth things over with your mom, but she really needs to try to see your side of the argument, as well.
Old 11-13-2009, 05:24 AM

Strangers always call it (knowing/guessing my kids are hometaught) immediately upon meeting my kids. And the teachers are always the most complimentary about them. Many literally going on about class size, and bullies, lack of parental involvement, cutting in funding/programs and childhood materialism. They always seem to be my most supportive crowd!

User Tag List