Pre-homeschool chat - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 314 Old 02-08-2010, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Roundabout! Where are you in hawaii? I'm in Hawaii too, and we must both be on Oahu . . . shoot me a pm if you'd like to meet up. I'm looking for 3 and 4yr olds to do activities with!

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#302 of 314 Old 02-08-2010, 06:02 PM

I'd like to join the thread (or the upcoming monthly thread, whatever it becomes!). My daughter is almost 4 and we're doing preschool at home basically unschooling. She is a really intense kid and doesn't seem to need or want us to direct her learning at this age. I feel comfortable just letting her take the lead, especially since she has all the "kindergarten readiness" knowledge and skills, with the exception of not consistently writing her name, so I feel like I can sit back and see where she takes us. Which has been all over the place!

I can't wait for good weather (will be a wait yet around here - 60 days, anyway) so we can do more outside.

We're also doing paper valentines, probably in the next couple of days. She loves making cards for people so that should be fun.

I also have a son who is almost 2, and at this point he's just along for the ride. A very mellow kid.
#303 of 314 Old 02-08-2010, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
You know, believe it or not I've read every post to this thread as you all post them, but have just never officially joined because I never feel like I have anything to add!

I'm hschooling my 4 yr old (born 11/05). He loves to "do schooling" & asks for it every day of the week. It's great to see him absorbing so much. He's started to read but really hates writing so I'm still just having him trace his words & letters. I use an eclectic mix of books & workbooks, but my core books are from Rod & Staff, mainly the Pathway readers books & workbooks. I them so much. I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with them for the next few years.

He's always been a challenging kind of kid, very explosive emotionally, but he rarely ever freaks out during his school work time! It's kind of mind boggling, I can't quite figure it out. He screams & tantrums many times per day, but never while doing his worksheets & coloring pages, etc....

So anyway, I too cannot wait for spring! Today is a sunny day however, & the kids are demanding we walk to the park. So here we go.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#304 of 314 Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 PM

Also, have you guys seen The Crafty Crow blog? It's awesome for craft ideas & is where I got all our Valentine ideas from.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#305 of 314 Old 02-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
You know, believe it or not I've read every post to this thread as you all post them, but have just never officially joined because I never feel like I have anything to add!

I'm hschooling my 4 yr old (born 11/05). He loves to "do schooling" & asks for it every day of the week. It's great to see him absorbing so much. He's started to read but really hates writing so I'm still just having him trace his words & letters. I use an eclectic mix of books & workbooks, but my core books are from Rod & Staff, mainly the Pathway readers books & workbooks. I them so much. I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with them for the next few years.

He's always been a challenging kind of kid, very explosive emotionally, but he rarely ever freaks out during his school work time! It's kind of mind boggling, I can't quite figure it out. He screams & tantrums many times per day, but never while doing his worksheets & coloring pages, etc....

So anyway, I too cannot wait for spring! Today is a sunny day however, & the kids are demanding we walk to the park. So here we go.
one thought -- our boys are the same age -- no fits during school due to a feeling of master and control and a full understanding of hat is happening / going to happen -----not only what the right answer is, what he is supposed to do to be right but also what always follows what?

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#306 of 314 Old 02-08-2010, 07:57 PM

Book --- Several times there have been comments on here (this loong thread) about a book with a title like "brown bear teaches you to draw"

that is NOT the right title -- can some one

1. tell me the correct one

and

2 tell me more abou it

we will be doing bears for the next few weeks

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#307 of 314 Old 02-08-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
one thought -- our boys are the same age -- no fits during school due to a feeling of master and control and a full understanding of hat is happening / going to happen -----not only what the right answer is, what he is supposed to do to be right but also what always follows what?

Huh. That's a pretty interesting thought! He's totally in control of his school work so he's comfortable... no reason to scream because he's not getting his way.... hm. Neat. I'll have to continue pondering that. Thanks, Aimee!

#308 of 314 Old 02-09-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Huh. That's a pretty interesting thought! He's totally in control of his school work so he's comfortable... no reason to scream because he's not getting his way.... hm. Neat. I'll have to continue pondering that. Thanks, Aimee!
My son has some SN and is very emotional -- i know we see less of it school time as school time is totally optional .. and we stop if he is tired, etc ... but that isn't really true of the rest of life, yk?

#309 of 314 Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Also, have you guys seen The Crafty Crow blog? It's awesome for craft ideas & is where I got all our Valentine ideas from.
awsome site -- thanks

#310 of 314 Old 02-22-2010, 10:55 AM

So glad to have found this thread! I'm hoping to create a somewhat structured preschool hs'ing routine for my 3 y/o little guy. So far, we've just dabbled with starfall.com and he just LOVED it! So I think he might be ready for some more. Can't wait to learn from and share with you all.
#311 of 314 Old 02-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by binspired View Post
So glad to have found this thread! I'm hoping to create a somewhat structured preschool hs'ing routine for my 3 y/o little guy. So far, we've just dabbled with starfall.com and he just LOVED it! So I think he might be ready for some more. Can't wait to learn from and share with you all.
come join us in the WINTER PRE-SCHOOL chat:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1193584

#312 of 314 Old 02-22-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I used Carol's Affordable Curriculum when I first started out with my big girl. It's very easy to use and comes with everything you need (all the crafts supplies minus glue, scissors and crayons). I used the Son Shine package.
#313 of 314 Old 02-23-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
LOVE this blog. So many great ideas! And not all of them are all "projecty." ("projecty" = every kids looks the same!)

On an aside, I must admit I'm a little overwhelmed. I'd like some sort of guide or curriculum to give my 3 y/o and I a little structure, but my head is spinning with all of the choices. Any tips on how to learn more about all of them and narrow them down?

Things I'm looking for:
*teaching him to read - he seems SO into this right now and I want to jump on it.
*lots of open-ended creative activities, not just project (see definition of projecty about. lol)
*not Christian-based
*AND doesn't cost a fortune...

Any ideas or suggestions?
#314 of 314 Old 02-23-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
LOVE this blog. So many great ideas! And not all of them are all "projecty." ("projecty" = every kids looks the same!)

On an aside, I must admit I'm a little overwhelmed. I'd like some sort of guide or curriculum to give my 3 y/o and I a little structure, but my head is spinning with all of the choices. Any tips on how to learn more about all of them and narrow them down?

Things I'm looking for:
*teaching him to read - he seems SO into this right now and I want to jump on it.
*lots of open-ended creative activities, not just project (see definition of projecty about. lol)
*not Christian-based
*AND doesn't cost a fortune...

Any ideas or suggestions?
This is the old preschool thread. As Aimee mentioned above, here's the new thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1193584

Come join us there!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page