Pre-homeschool chat - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 314 Old 11-28-2009, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i got some great sets at hooked on phonics website friday. I got ds the preschool reading set, the learn to count math set and the beginning printing and handwriting set for about 30$ shipped. They are in the overstock section. I just checked the site and the preschool reading set is all sold out, but there are still quite a bit of sets available. i used code SLICK50 to get 50% off the order! It will be nice to have these on hand when ds starts to do more schooly work.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#62 of 314 Old 11-28-2009, 06:48 PM

Subbing. Unschooling pre-k mom here who hates identifying herself as "pre-k". My kids are almost 3 and almost 5 with another on the way. We live in a VERY VERY VERY pro-"pre-k" place and have faced anger, hostility and even threats for not sending the children to preschool/daycare/kindergarden.

Definately needing some support with this one.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#63 of 314 Old 11-28-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
We live in a VERY VERY VERY pro-"pre-k" place and have faced anger, hostility and even threats for not sending the children to preschool/daycare/kindergarden..
awwww i feel your pain and i'm sure many others here do too.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#64 of 314 Old 11-29-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul511riv View Post
Subbing. Unschooling pre-k mom here who hates identifying herself as "pre-k". My kids are almost 3 and almost 5 with another on the way. We live in a VERY VERY VERY pro-"pre-k" place and have faced anger, hostility and even threats for not sending the children to preschool/daycare/kindergarden.

Definately needing some support with this one.
Same.

The other day I was talking to one of my tables at work (I'm a server) and one of the kids made a hand gesture that looked like the sign for "stop". I didn't mention it until the mom laughed and said "no that's the sign for stop". I was surprised she knew that and I mentioned that we signed at home because DS is non-verbal. She asked me how old he was and when I said 4 and half, at least 3 people said "oh, what school?" at once. Since when do 4 year olds all go to school and why would that be the first thing someone would think to ask about them? Usually I get the "why can't he talk" questions first.

Oh, and strangers are already asking me why DS is playing hooky and he's very small for his age. And when I take him to the park on school days, its mostly babies and young toddlers there.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#65 of 314 Old 11-29-2009, 04:40 AM

Yeah, I've had people tell me it's illegal and educated people ask me if I've recieved government permission to do this (that is, in fact, how it works in Israel). I explain that my children are both below the age for maditory kindergarden and they start asking for birthdates, etc...so that they can confirm. She was born a couple of months after the deadline, so there is usually some discussion about "my luck" and how I'll have to get my permission for next year.

In Israel the whole homeschooling thing is such a mess. The govt. just came out with new regulations. It involves describing in depth your type of schooling and why you chose it. It also forces you to submit a curriculum and demonstrate that your child will be "keeping up" with their class. They want exit projects...proof that you have followed your own syllabus. There is an interview BEFORE permission is granted and again at the end of the year to review what happened. Then you must do it all over again for EACH child for every year. Can you IMAGINE?! For a 5 year old!!!

I am absolutely sick about the idea of inviting a panel of Ministry of Education people into my home for that interview. And because the regulations are so new, no one really knows how they will pan out in practice. I, understandably, do NOT want my children involved in such a meeting and am trying to figure out if I need to hire a babysitter to take them to a park when we talk or what. I guess I'll cross the bridge when we come to it (next school year, aparently).

I have been told that I am ruining the fabric of the community/society in which we live by not sending my children to daycare/preschool (no choices here in Israel...your kid age 3+ goes in at 7am and comes home at 1:30pm, 5 days a week, your child younger than 3 goes in at 7am and stays until 3:30pm. so this is clearly not even like a preschool, but more like a daycare.) I've been told that as an immigrant I am forcing my children to be "different" and not assimilate into Israeli society. I'm put on the spot...like "don't you want YOUR children to be like OUR children?" which quickly turns hostile, "do you have a problem with OUR children?!" This of course is in addition to the absolute hostility that I hear when anyone gets wind of the fact that my children aren't vaccinated. Or, even sometimes, that I homebirth.

There IS a homeschooling community here in Israel. Its been estimated that about 200 families in the whole country homeschool.

I've been told that my children are small for their age (I've also been told they are tall for their age or big for their age as well, lol). I've been given suspicious looks, as if what am I trying to hide by keeping them at home. I've been told that it's important for them to go to daycare so that someone else can evaluate them and make sure they are okay and don't need some extra help and care. Ive been told that it's important to have an objective opinion to see how they measure up to their peers in age.

I've been told that I'm denying them a social life. That they will never be able to thrive as human beings without learning how to interact with other children. I've been told they will never be able to make friends (even by parents whose children play at our house on a regular basis with my children ) I've been told that they will never learn to speak Hebrew or understand Israeli culture. I've been told that I can't keep them in a bubble forever. Hell, I've been told that I am "overestimating the importance of parents in children's lives." I've been told that what really matters to children are their peers and because I am denying the peers the role of promince in my children's lives, I am hurting them in some way. I've been told that they will always be ostricized. I've been questioned about my own academic achievements, or whether or not I am qualified to teach my own children. Shouldn't I have a masters degree, once they get into grade level? Shouldn't I want what is best for my children (having someone with advanced degrees to teach them). I've been quizzed about what we "do all day at home" and when I explain that we are unschooling, I get the "how do you know your children will ever learn ANYTHING?!" and the "Isn't that just negligent of you?"

I could go on all day. It really does still bother me a lot. Mostly because the legal status of Homeschooling, I feel, is NOT on my side here. If I KNEW that I were totally protected by the law, I think I would feel instantly and completely better about all these comments.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#66 of 314 Old 11-29-2009, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hehe, I am suuuuuuuuuuper early on this thread. DS is 1 year old, but I've been planning on homeschooling since before his birth. I think I need more structure than unschooling but we're open. We live in Maryland at the moment but I don't know where we will be when he is actually "school aged". Does anyone know about military and homeschooling? I know that laws are different by state but what if you move a lot?

Thanks for this thread!

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#67 of 314 Old 11-29-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah_mae_ View Post
Hehe, I am suuuuuuuuuuper early on this thread. DS is 1 year old, but I've been planning on homeschooling since before his birth. I think I need more structure than unschooling but we're open. We live in Maryland at the moment but I don't know where we will be when he is actually "school aged". Does anyone know about military and homeschooling? I know that laws are different by state but what if you move a lot?

Thanks for this thread!
http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

click on your state to finds out it's laws
#68 of 314 Old 11-29-2009, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrtimedownhere View Post
http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

click on your state to finds out it's laws
Thanks! I was wondering though, do I have to follow whatever state's law that we're living in? Or do we use our home of record state since we're military?

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#69 of 314 Old 11-29-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks! I was wondering though, do I have to follow whatever state's law that we're living in? Or do we use our home of record state since we're military?
all the moms that i know that are military -- follow the law of teh state they reside in -- but i am not really sure -- if it was me, i'd follow the more strict options to CYA.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#70 of 314 Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 PM

We had a nice day. For DS work boxes today he had, ETC primer, building the letter t out of legos, and button sorting, and number bingo. He was very excited and did all boxes. I'm really loving these for him. If he wants "school" it's there, but if he would rather play that is fine too. He also played with legos (of course!!), listened to stories, jumped on the mini trampoline, and visited a nursing home with us. How was everyone elses day?
#71 of 314 Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
i think i'd use the laws for whatever state my license said i lived in.

my big plan is to get an RV and be an on-the-move family. we are going to "live" in new jersey though because it's the easiest state to HS in.
#72 of 314 Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetoo View Post
We had a nice day. For DS work boxes today he had, ETC primer, building the letter t out of legos, and button sorting, and number bingo. He was very excited and did all boxes. I'm really loving these for him. If he wants "school" it's there, but if he would rather play that is fine too. He also played with legos (of course!!), listened to stories, jumped on the mini trampoline, and visited a nursing home with us. How was everyone elses day?
I love the idea of workboxes! I hope when DD gets a little older I'll be able to work them into our day.

This morning, DD wanted to "review all of [her] letters". Of course. That's what she wants to do everyday. Instead, we talked a bit about sounds at the end of words (she has letter names/sounds and recognizing beginning sounds down pat). She wanted to do some Literactive, but we were in a rush to get out the door.

We went to the library storytime for a bit (theme: cookies! complete with the craft being decorating a real sugar cookie!), but most of the time was spent helping my mom at her internet store warehouse. DD played by herself a lot -- stickers, pretending pieces of cardboard were wood, stacking Priority Mail boxes into towers. But she also helped out -- putting things into boxes, cushioning them with newspaper, applying address labels. (I think I need to teach her numbers, then she can read out order numbers to us. Hmm....)

Helping with the family store is a long-standing tradition in my family, although its form has changed over the years (my grandfather started it, my parents took it over, I've helped out my whole life). I'm really happy that DD is getting exposure to the skills you learn by helping around a business!

After that was grocery shopping (including her favorite -- a stop by the fish counter for DH to show her different types of sea life), pizza, and ice cream!

A very busy day, but a really good one.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#73 of 314 Old 11-30-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
What a fun day!

For us, we read stories (one with each meal), pretended to be reindeer and Santa Claus delivering toys to stuffed animals, made marinara sauce, washed apples and made apple streudel, took a shower together, jumped on the bed, dd came up with a fun game to play in the dark after dinner and talked about it all day, did our Advent devotion for the day, played dd's game which involved walking around in the dark and bumping into each other, made up poems, and now dd is playing with Legos and Connect 4 with dh.

As for me, I desperately need to print out my Winter edition of Seasons of Joy and memorize our fingerplay for this week (which I forgot about today). We're also in the process of trying to make felt winter decorations, melt some old crayons into crayon blocks, and make presents for our family and friends for Christmas. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed already.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#74 of 314 Old 11-30-2009, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well today was the first day of me trying to have some sort of order to our day...slowly slowly, after breakfast he did his markerboard at the kitchen table while i cleaned up then we got ready and we went out today to the gym, ds was in the daycare for a little over an hour (this is his 2nd time) and he did not want to leave, he finally did after ten mins or so, so i convinced him we'll be back there again tomorrow. Then we went to the post office and then home for lunch where ds helped me make smoothies. Then after a little tv and pbskids. org, we spent a couple hours making muffins, doing dishes and making homemade gorditas. Ds also spent about an hour or more 'fixing' the xmas tree, don't ask me what he was doing, he honestly prefers playing things like that over his toys most the time.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#75 of 314 Old 12-04-2009, 01:59 AM

Well since I can't sleep, I guess I'll jump in.

I have a (just turned) 4 yo DS, and a 14 month old DD. We are planning to HS them both and any future kids we have. Right now, we are pretty unschooly. We do formal stuff when DS asks, but otherwise, mostly play, read, etc. Maybe once he officially is kindy age (in 2 years), we'll be more structured, but for now, this works for us.

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#76 of 314 Old 12-04-2009, 10:25 AM

Yesterday, he spent most of the morning "cleaning his room" His home Ec skills are seriously lacking. He also did some HOP and played with tanagrams. We spent the afternoon at a kids museum, then grandmas for dinner, and family movie night when we got home.
#77 of 314 Old 12-04-2009, 11:10 AM

I have been trying to read back though the thread,

who is useing Peak with Books

and what are your thoughts? good, bad, or otherwise.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#78 of 314 Old 12-04-2009, 12:19 PM

We are going to the science museum today and see the Titanic Exhibit! DD is very excited to do "science stuff"!
#79 of 314 Old 12-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post

I do really want to get the before five in a row (or is peak with books better?) to check it out and see if it fits us well. I think it will.

Tjej
I searched this forum and read all the old post re: PWB and FIAR and BFIAR ... a lot of the post were too old for me to post to and bumpo for more information BUT over and over peole seems to like PWB better ...

#80 of 314 Old 12-04-2009, 03:51 PM

today we were schedule to do a phonics consonant page and a <, >, = page. instead he wanted to go a vowel page and a color by numbers. so that's what he did.

we also have science and social studies to do. i can never think of anything for these 2 subjects. friday is the only day we have both so it's extra tough.
#81 of 314 Old 12-05-2009, 07:15 AM

Subbing and will be back with more later. This thread is an awesome idea!

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#82 of 314 Old 12-05-2009, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

well the hooked on phonics materials arrived yesterday, and i skimmed through the books and parents guides and so far I'm impressed. The pre-reading set has 3 workbooks and the basic outline is to do: 5-7 mins to learn, 5-7 practice, 5-7 to play, there is one worksheet a day and the books are broken up into upper case, lower case and phonics. There is a cd-rom, audio cd and tons of flashcards/matching cards for reinforcement. Like I mentioned i also got a printing package, but i don't plan to use that right away. i plan to use the math and reading ones now along with the peak with books curriculum. The math package has a fun bingo-number game that me and ds tried out last night, he seemed to like it quite a bit. I'm still not sure how I plan to break up the segments and I'm fairly sure I won't be doing a new page in each book everyday, but I will probably alternate the math and reading every other day and then do the peak with books lessons everyday. Probably only 3-4 days a week though, we have a wonky schedule with dh working weekends and all.

as for science, ds is so into ocean life, animals, space/planets, robots, dinosaurs and plus we do gardening in the spring/summer, plus with trips to the zoo and nature center, that is plenty of science i don't feel I need to add more to that anytime soon. "Yes there is such a dinosaur as an argentinasaurus", I had to tell my dh, because ds said that was his favorite dinosaur, lol!

#83 of 314 Old 12-05-2009, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

can you explain work boxes? Is this a curriculum or do you make up your own? I am thinking this might something for ds to have while I cook dinner, etc...

#84 of 314 Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 PM

Thanks, Aimee.

I get the impression that PWB is more structured, and secular. For me, being unstructured and Christian is not a problem, so I'm still torn.

Tjej
#85 of 314 Old 12-05-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveMyBabyBird View Post
can you explain work boxes? Is this a curriculum or do you make up your own? I am thinking this might something for ds to have while I cook dinner, etc...

I do make up my own "curriculum" for him, but the work boxes are more of an organizational tool. I am using them with my first grader too. If you google "sue patricks workbox system" you can read all about it. I am not however doing it like her book . Anyway, for him, I am doing 4 boxes, which are actually a set of tall sterlite drawers. It has two thin drawers and two fat drawers which worked nice for preschool activities. I do not require him to do boxes, but for the most part I don't refill them until he has completed the activity. So for instance Friday in his boxes he had the kindy HOP, water colors and paper, a light bright type toy with a pattern booklet to follow, and a alphabet go fish game. The only box he did on friday was the light bright. So that box I will change out on monday but the rest I will leave. If a box really sits a while like a week or more I will change it out and I figure that means he is just not ready/interested in that type of thing yet. If it is a skill a skill I really think he needs work with (like following directions and listening!! ) I will try to present it a different way, otherwise I just leave well enough alone. So far this is working awesome for us! It really allows him to work at his pace. I am more of a facilitator, he choose what to do and when.
#86 of 314 Old 12-05-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post
Thanks, Aimee.

I get the impression that PWB is more structured, and secular. For me, being unstructured and Christian is not a problem, so I'm still torn.

Tjej
I perfer Christian, too. However we are doing a daily devoption based ont eh theme of Bible Heros. I like structure -- for me

I am also hopeing, i have not read the lists yet, to be able to pull Christian books as supplement too.

ILoveMyBabyBird -- what Math program ?? (I may have read that in another thread but can't remember)

#87 of 314 Old 12-05-2009, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
I perfer Christian, too. However we are doing a daily devoption based ont eh theme of Bible Heros. I like structure -- for me

I am also hopeing, i have not read the lists yet, to be able to pull Christian books as supplement too.

ILoveMyBabyBird -- what Math program ?? (I may have read that in another thread but can't remember)

i just got the hooked on phonics learn to count for ds. It covers numbers 1-20, has a workbook, bingo games, 2 sets of flashcards, music cd, dvd, cd-rom. It says ages 3-5. It's pretty nice, but all we've had before that is basic workbooks from retail stores. The workbook is pretty small, but I think the set up is good for us.

#88 of 314 Old 12-05-2009, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I do make up my own "curriculum" for him, but the work boxes are more of an organizational tool. I am using them with my first grader too. If you google "sue patricks workbox system" you can read all about it. I am not however doing it like her book . Anyway, for him, I am doing 4 boxes, which are actually a set of tall sterlite drawers. It has two thin drawers and two fat drawers which worked nice for preschool activities. I do not require him to do boxes, but for the most part I don't refill them until he has completed the activity. So for instance Friday in his boxes he had the kindy HOP, water colors and paper, a light bright type toy with a pattern booklet to follow, and a alphabet go fish game. The only box he did on friday was the light bright. So that box I will change out on monday but the rest I will leave. If a box really sits a while like a week or more I will change it out and I figure that means he is just not ready/interested in that type of thing yet. If it is a skill a skill I really think he needs work with (like following directions and listening!! ) I will try to present it a different way, otherwise I just leave well enough alone. So far this is working awesome for us! It really allows him to work at his pace. I am more of a facilitator, he choose what to do and when.
oh that sounds awesome, I will have to try that out for ds, I'm not great on organization!

#89 of 314 Old 12-08-2009, 03:59 PM

#90 of 314 Old 12-08-2009, 08:35 PM

Can I join? I have two, one is almost 3 (in January) and one turned 1 in November. My almost 3 year old has been bugging me to do "school" for almost a year now and I keep avoiding it. Shes totally bored out of her mind now so I need to do something with her. She LOVES to do workbooks and "read" (she likes to repeat after me when I read books to her) and has picked up a lot of sight words doing that (she knows and, the, a, I, of and dog).

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page