Originally Posted by akichan View Post
What is ETC?
Explode the Code

http://www.explodethecode.com/
#122 of 314 Old 12-27-2009, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone stepping it up a notch in jan 10?

anyone adding or changing somthing?

we are going to start a slow road to a more fomal sit down appraoch

we are also going to do more testing with Theo -- as he already has an IEP they can do it any time.

we are also going to branch out into more (any) group activities for Theo.

this is gonna be a lot for him (he is SN) so we will be going slowly.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#123 of 314 Old 12-27-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post

Aimee
We are going to stop Moving Beyond the Page to do a Peter Rabbit Lap book starting in January.
#124 of 314 Old 12-27-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
We are somewhat...we started with more formal learning this year, but have really taken off from school altogether since September...mostly b/c we have gone out of town twice (for over 2 wks at a time) and then the holidays and everything else...so it will be a change of pace to get back into a routine again...which I am kick starting the first week of January.
DS is really eager to get started back up and has been asking to do school again, so I need to get MY butt in gear

Gabriele familybed1.gif DS (11/05) - homeschool.gif computergeek2.gif
...it is nothing like school, and we are never at home...so why is it called homeschooling?

#125 of 314 Old 12-27-2009, 09:02 PM

ahhhh 'routine' how i hate the word....

with holidays , family, and a new baby w are sooooooo out of it. i know it's going to be a struggle. I thought ahead and pre packaged dec and jan crafts but still i feel so disorganized. *la sigh*

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#126 of 314 Old 12-27-2009, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I think we will be. DH and I have noticed that DD is moving out of her recent gross motor skill growth phase (in general, she's not a physical kid) and back into a mental/concentration phase. We've got a new baby due in late March, so if we want to start a routine of more formal schooling, we need to get it rolling now.

We lean toward the Montessori method, so we're going to spend the next few weeks talking about what materials to invest in and how to rearrange our house to make the dedicated space for that.

Our local school supply store went out of business (boo!), but they had a clearance sale (yea!). I spent $40-50 -- at 70% off! So $150 at retail? I got some neat posters (human body, ecological zones) and a bunch of workbooks for now and later. DD's been really excited to dig into them, but I've been putting her off until after Christmas and DH's family visit/races in early January (he's a marathoner).

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#127 of 314 Old 12-28-2009, 09:51 AM

We are just going to keep plugging away with what we have been doing. He is doing very well and enjoying himself. He feels very proud and has a sense of accomplishment. The areas we are focusing on are, following directions, listening skills, and regulating his emotions. I also am trying to make sure I take out enough traditional preschool activities (finger paints, sensory play, etc.)
#128 of 314 Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 AM

Theo amazed me yesterday

he got new spiderman penciles in his Christmas stocking, and i told him we'd use them in Scott Monday ("tomorrow") when he brought them to me last night.

well he said "let's do school now"

so i pulled out some work sheets -- i print tons of them off the free sites and keep a stack so i am ready the second he asks like that.

i choose 3, let him choose 1st and so on ... he did 5 worksheets

he did them ALL BY HIMSELF all i did was read the directions

he did the CORRECTLY

this was a first for him.

i was most floored by the one sheet -- there were little boxes and 1, 2 or 3 items in the box and the numerals 1, 2 and 3 .. you had to count and circle the correct number .... he got all of them correct, all on his own, i was not even at the table!

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#129 of 314 Old 12-28-2009, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

we are going to start a slow road to a more fomal sit down appraoch

we are also going to do more testing with Theo -- as he already has an IEP they can do it any time.

we are also going to branch out into more (any) group activities for Theo.

this is gonna be a lot for him (he is SN) so we will be going slowly.

Aimee
we started the PWB today and ds a was not as interested as i thought he would be, but i will just follow his lead on it. We spent about 3 hours today working on 'school', which included: experiments with melting snow (just kind of made that up on the fly) we had a blizzard over the holidays, so i took advantage of mother nature and brought some snow in to the table for some fun experiements with melting snow with hot and cold water, etc. Then we worked a bit on the PWB, ds liked the finger plays,but seemed a bit distracted when i was reading. We then did hop number 1 and letter A and he played on the computer hop games for about 20 mins. We played chutes and ladders, hungry hippos, hihocherry, read another book and had lunch, and now he is watching a movie. We are still suppose to read the PWB again, but he didn't seem interested, so I said we would read it again at bedtime. He was not interested at all in listening to the suggested songs in PWB so that when i decided we had done enough for the day and let him choose a movie to watch.

We do plan to get ds in the library group starting in january and hopefully basketball in March. Ds is going to the gym daycare about 2-4 hours a week and that is all we are doing for group socialization right now.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#130 of 314 Old 12-28-2009, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

i just took a look at progressive phonics, it looks pretty cool, I think i will try that out when ds finishes the hop set i got him. Honestly the first book of hop that we have is pretty much review for ds, it is just the upper case letters and coloring, and he already knows all his uppercase, but we went over lowercase and he recognizes about half of them atm, so i will probably go through the first book a little quicker as ds was already wanting to do letter B and i told him we would do it tomorrow, but now i'm think i should just let him do them as he wants, which means he could finish the first book in a week or two.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#131 of 314 Old 12-29-2009, 04:43 PM

today we started our first real read-a-loud ... The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-phoo.

I have had concerns about Theo "keeping" a story from one session to the next. It is kinda cheating, as each chapter is a "story" in its own right, so there is not a lot of carry over from session to session for Theodore.

But it is our first "chapter" read-a-loud.

We are going slow but i do want to expand his limits a bit

Aimee

#132 of 314 Old 12-29-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
today we started our first real read-a-loud ... The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-phoo.

I have had concerns about Theo "keeping" a story from one session to the next. It is kinda cheating, as each chapter is a "story" in its own right, so there is not a lot of carry over from session to session for Theodore.

But it is our first "chapter" read-a-loud.

We are going slow but i do want to expand his limits a bit

Aimee
We just started a chapter book, too, although it's a revisit -- My Father's Dragon. We've done just a few, but DD has been asking for this one again. I briefly review the previous chapters when we sit down for a new one, and I'm hoping that helps things stick. She's not the type to answer questioning about the book after we read, but it seems to be sticking. We first read this book back in mid-summer, and it's set on the island of Tangerina and the boy eats tangerines there. The book didn't get mentioned again. When winter hit and I bought some tangerines from a road-side stand, DD suddenly burst out with, "That's like the island on that long book we read!" It took me some head-scratching to figure out what she meant.... I'd forgotten!

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#133 of 314 Old 12-29-2009, 05:00 PM

With DS the paper-eater we just don't seem to get time for read-alouds these days so we do them at bedtime. We've just started Milly-Molly-Mandy and DD loves it

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#134 of 314 Old 12-29-2009, 05:58 PM

DS got his first chapter book for his birthday (he just turned 4) He got book #1 in the Magic Treehouse series - Dinosaurs Before Dark
He's liking it so far...we have been reading about 2 chapters a night...we started it and then stopped it when we went out of town, so we had to pick it back up again
I didn't think he would stick with a chapter book but so far so good

...it is nothing like school, and we are never at home...so why is it called homeschooling?

#135 of 314 Old 12-29-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nov05mama View Post
DS got his first chapter book for his birthday (he just turned 4) He got book #1 in the Magic Treehouse series - Dinosaurs Before Dark
He's liking it so far...we have been reading about 2 chapters a night...we started it and then stopped it when we went out of town, so we had to pick it back up again
I didn't think he would stick with a chapter book but so far so good
our boys are the same age -- Theodore was 4 in Nov also a 2005 baby.

#136 of 314 Old 12-29-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenfl View Post
I think we will be. DH and I have noticed that DD is moving out of her recent gross motor skill growth phase (in general, she's not a physical kid) and back into a mental/concentration phase. We've got a new baby due in late March, so if we want to start a routine of more formal schooling, we need to get it rolling now.
DH and I sat down this evening and talked out what we'd like DD to work with over the next few months. We ended up coming to a pretty un-schooly approach. We do want to start a routine of some sort of schooling time before #2 comes, so we're going to dedicate the (unused) breakfast nook to that. I bought some Montessori materials -- we'll make most of it, but there are a few things that it seems best to invest in. We'll just have a few activities out each day and have some worksheets if she wants to choose them, but mostly work on practical life things throughout the day and just keep answering her questions about things she's interested in.

#137 of 314 Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Theo amazed me yesterday

he got new spiderman penciles in his Christmas stocking, and i told him we'd use them in Scott Monday ("tomorrow") when he brought them to me last night.

well he said "let's do school now"

so i pulled out some work sheets -- i print tons of them off the free sites and keep a stack so i am ready the second he asks like that.

i choose 3, let him choose 1st and so on ... he did 5 worksheets

he did them ALL BY HIMSELF all i did was read the directions

he did the CORRECTLY

this was a first for him.

i was most floored by the one sheet -- there were little boxes and 1, 2 or 3 items in the box and the numerals 1, 2 and 3 .. you had to count and circle the correct number .... he got all of them correct, all on his own, i was not even at the table!

Awwww,
#138 of 314 Old 12-30-2009, 09:14 PM

I'm in. My youngest is 3.5 yrs. She LOVES school! Right now she likes to play on Starfall, do workbooks, color, cut, paste, count, sing, dance, look cute , play play-doh and help scrub the kitchen floor, lol.

I'm thinking of doing more with her soon. Not sure what. Well, HWT for sure. OH and Happy Phonics by Diane at Love to Learn.net more than likely. It looks so fun!

I haven't read all the posts but I will go back after the kiddos are in bed. It's fun to see what everyone else is doing!
#139 of 314 Old 12-31-2009, 01:13 AM

just got handwriting without tears, explode the code, andn singapore earlybird math in the mail....they will be on hand when he is ready. he got some games for Christmas, and they are proving to be beneficial for him in many ways (counting, following directions, finishing something he starts, etc). he read his first bob book today, and did good.
#140 of 314 Old 12-31-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebekah View Post
just got handwriting without tears, explode the code, andn singapore earlybird math in the mail....they will be on hand when he is ready. he got some games for Christmas, and they are proving to be beneficial for him in many ways (counting, following directions, finishing something he starts, etc). he read his first bob book today, and did good.
this brings up a good question:

my DS1 is 4

how much do you all require of your PS child to 'finish what they start" .. i usally try to end an activity when i see him starting to show signs of "being done" -- before it gets to a point of silly or not doing it right 9game, playdough, worksheets) .. but at the same time i want him to "grow" his attention and i do want him to learn "we finsih what we start" 9game of candyland for example) ... where do you find the balance. I don't really know if i want to try to make him finsih something knowing he will get very emotional (he is SN) and also knowing he'll just set "stupid" and silly and so he really is not "finsihing the activity" even if we are struggling to get it done, also knowing he is getting nothing postive out of that time. and i don't want to make neg assoc with anything either --

so where do you find a balance

and how do you work on

1. expanding attention span

2. the concept of finsihing something and not jsut wandering off when it gets challanging, you aren't winning, you get distracted .... etc?

?????

#141 of 314 Old 12-31-2009, 11:43 AM

My dd just turned 4 and we're reading the original Winnie the Pooh stories as well! We all love them--dh and I think they are hilarious! Cecily loves them too and will quote whole passages from them. We also like to talk about which characters we most identify with (I'm a mix between Rabbit and Kanga, dh is Pooh, dd is Roo). I love these books! We are not reading them as chapter books, though, but rather we just pick whatever story we want and read them.

I just ordered the Waldorf homeschooling essential books from Christopherus and am really looking forward to them coming. One is a Waldorf curriculum overview and the other is a Waldorf approach to science.

One of the things dd has been loving lately is her dry-erase board on our refrigerator. She traces her hand, writes her name, and traces the wooden letter magnets we have. She seems to be reading more sight words these days and she's figured out quite a bit of phonics (we don't actively teach these at home, we just let her absorb these at her own pace, if that makes sense). She's also figuring out quite a bit of math, which is fun.

As for expanding attention span, we do this through reading, which dd loves, or crafts. I'm not really a "game" person so we haven't done many boardgames or anything.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#142 of 314 Old 12-31-2009, 01:35 PM

For actual school work, we haven't really run into the attention span issue TOO much...I normally try to change things up a bit so it's not like we are doing the same thing for too long. I think that helps tremendously.
For things like board games, I just tell him that if he doesn't finish it or play it correctly, we won't get to play that game again for a while. He really loves playing board games, so I think that chance of losing it has been incentive enough for him to correct his behavior and finish the game...
I think it's hard to find the balance though b/c like you, I want to make sure I am challenging him enough, but also not making it too 'forced' either...so I pretty much never force actual schoolwork...we just walk away and come back to it when he's ready.
I "expect" him to clean up after himself, I "expect" him to take good care of his things, or else he loses them, etc.

#143 of 314 Old 12-31-2009, 10:42 PM

DH and DD had their weekly Daddy-Daughter Day and I didn't have to work, so I took advantage of the free time to hit various stores for homeschooling supplies.

Took my first trip to Lakeshore Learning and found a neat book on science activities for 2-6 year olds -- "Science Play! (Little Hands)". Also stumbled upon some of the "Children Like Me" books and ordered them from Amazon.

I shopped some craft stores for pieces and parts to assemble some Montessori activities and some department stores for furniture for turning our nook into the homeschooling room. It's not done, but it's a good start -- comfy rug and easel, and temporary shelf and table.

As soon as we got it set up, DD plopped onto the rug and requested "Montessori act-iv-ties". So I pulled out a few old ones I'd made up ages ago and tucked away after she'd gotten bored (flower arranging, clothespins, beads). Tonight I spent some time putting some more things out -- a new puzzle, a pouring activity, and some worksheets. I know she'll plow through these and want more, but I've got to work myself into a groove of making and presenting things.

#144 of 314 Old 12-31-2009, 11:38 PM

Jenfl:

What kind of Montessori activities do you have? We kind of do some "on the fly" things that seem Montessori--like make colored ice cubes and transfer them and then watch them melt and such--but I'd like more ideas. I haven't been able to find Montessori ideas online (or at least ones that didn't require oodles of money to buy specific types of "works"). I really like the idea blending Waldorf and Montessori because I think they balance well but I don't know where to start.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#145 of 314 Old 01-01-2010, 01:05 AM

subbing.

Christine, Brain Aneurysm Survivor SAHM, recently stopped nursing my 4.5 yr old and 3 yr old selective and delayed vax, organic food mama to Rhiannon 4.5 and Brynn 3 ribbonburgundy.gif
#146 of 314 Old 01-01-2010, 01:09 AM

#147 of 314 Old 01-01-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post
Jenfl:

What kind of Montessori activities do you have? We kind of do some "on the fly" things that seem Montessori--like make colored ice cubes and transfer them and then watch them melt and such--but I'd like more ideas. I haven't been able to find Montessori ideas online (or at least ones that didn't require oodles of money to buy specific types of "works"). I really like the idea blending Waldorf and Montessori because I think they balance well but I don't know where to start.
We don't have any true Montessori materials yet, although I ordered a few the other day from Montessori Outlet -- a moveable alphabet (DD's been asking for one since we saw it at an open house), smelling bottles, and small number rods. We have nesting blocks that I'll use instead of the pink tower, and I'll make red rods. Unsure about the brown stair, and I know the sizes won't match up, but I can't bring myself to spend $200 or so on just 3 materials.

I bought boxes of Montessori accessories from a retiring teacher, so I have trays of various sizes, lots of 3 part cards, and tons of practical life stuff. I use that and things around the house to throw together pouring, scooping, etc.

I was blogging at http://homemade-homeschool.blogspot.com for a while, although I stopped when DD got less into "doing school". Maybe I'll pick it back up.

I also follow a lot of blogs:
http://themoveablealphabet.blogspot.com
http://montessorifreefall.blogspot.com
http://chasingcheerios.blogspot.com
http://www.mommysurvivalguide.com
http://mymontessorijourney.typepad.com
http://mommybahn.blogspot.com
http://theeverydayhomeschool.blogspot.com
http://maybemontessori.blogspot.com
http://montessoristory.blogspot.com

And I discovered that the book "Teach Me to do it Myself" is Montessori activities without requiring any materials. I got it from my library, but liked it so much I bought a copy.

#148 of 314 Old 01-01-2010, 12:08 PM

Thank you both so much! I'll check out the links. Montessori materials are so expensive. I made our own moveable alphabet last year and it was quite a bit of work and then dd didn't use it at all (which makes me glad I didn't BUY it!). I'm looking forward to getting inspired from those blogs.

Just to throw this out there, here are a few blogs that I already like (not Montessori inspired, but neat ideas):

http://www.perpetualpreschool.com/sensoryideas.html
http://filthwizardry.blogspot.com/

#149 of 314 Old 01-01-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post
Jenfl:

maybe it is jsut me and by boys butttttttttt my 4 yo jsut won't be still for Montessoir style stuff slow, calm, etc jsut aren't in the vocb around here

sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i am totally goling to go in search of more activities for us -- i have a couple of montessori blogs i love already --

but we jsut don't have that peacful, settled, calm feel around here -- you know???

#150 of 314 Old 01-01-2010, 01:35 PM

So, is anyone else as obsessed as me in figuring out what you'll be using in the future?

I'm thinking for now we'll do Enki for K-2 grade, supplemented with Singapore math (and possibly RightStart). I think we'll just focus on nature for science, along with some sort of fun science experiment kit/book.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page