Pre-homeschool chat - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 314 Old 01-08-2010, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Haven't posted in a while, but we're starting to get in a bit of a groove! Having a little planned for the morning, some lit-based stuff and then somewhere to go, really seems to make the day go faster and smoother! And she still has plenty of time for her own free, creative play

* BFIAR/PWB - 15-30m/day - Doing "Ask Mr. Bear" this week, trying a simple little lap book for the first time using mostly free printables. Not sure if I'm loving the lapbook thing for us at this point, v. what I've done before, just thinking of simple related art projects with some literacy components (copying poems, writing main words, etc.) that I staple into a little book at the end. Goal is to do one book every two weeks, at least for right now. DD loves the recommended books & poems! A related goal is to initiate some art or cooking/practical life project each day.
* We just got an annual pass (such a great value!) to the nearby children's museum, which is all amazing, hands-on, playful stuff. Goal to go about once a week, with friends sometimes - I really don't think she could get bored
* I'm trying to decide which annual park pass to get - a nearby nature center with short hiking trails, or a regional pass for lots of parks, but further away... Goal would be to get to nature center or the beach once a week, with friends sometimes.
* Free local opportunities, also once a week each - library storytime & kindergym - this leaves one weekday morning free to hang out at home or with friends.
* Thinking about getting the pre-k math book from Critical Thinking Company, and using it less as a workbook, more as a supplement/guide to playing lots of math-y games. DD's starting to get pretty good at counting, a little basic addition & subtraction...

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#182 of 314 Old 01-08-2010, 07:00 PM

Let's see, today we've read several good winter books, pretended we were hamsters hosting a party in the forest, made pizza dough together, and then dd "ice skated" in the bathtub on shaving cream. Of course, among all this she made up some of her own poems and songs, we discussed some phonics (her inititiative), she counted to 59 while going potty (not sure why she never makes it to 60, but . . .), she got some scissor practice while opening our yeast, she got lots of balance practice climbing through hamster tunnels and ice skating, and just observed lots of housework being done. Fun Friday, all in all!

On a sidenote: Dd (just turned 4) is really enjoying her new magazine subscription to Your Big Backyard from the National Wildlife Federation. It has lots of fun animals stories, poems, songs, facts, etc. It also has a little book that you let your child cut out and staple. Dd has been wanting me to read her the book she made every day and she loves reading the magazine again and again and do the mazes and games again and again (I really try hard not to be bored out of my gourd ). I thought I'd just put in a plug for a good magazine subscription at this age since it's a hit at our house.

Tonight we're adding new fish to our aquarium. So, yay! Yesterday we played outside in the snow and went sledding and dd wants to do that again but dh is sick so I don't know if we'll do that this weekend or if we'll wait. She also really wants to go (real) ice skating again, but we have to wait for dh to get well for that too. Before bedtime we've added a continuation of our Advent devotion where we light a prayer candle, read a Bible story, and say our family prayers together before bed. It's very calming. I'm really looking forward to Lent our next set of elaborate devotions, though. We're even going to make our own King Cake for Mardi Gras and our own ashes for Ash Wednesday (we saved our palm leaves from last Palm Sunday to burn). We also have an elaborate liturgy in the home for Holy Week, too, but I won't get into that because I really am rambling . . .

Happy weekend all!

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#183 of 314 Old 01-08-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to Lent our next set of elaborate devotions, though. We're even going to make our own King Cake for Mardi Gras and our own ashes for Ash Wednesday (we saved our palm leaves from last Palm Sunday to burn). We also have an elaborate liturgy in the home for Holy Week, too, but I won't get into that because I really am rambling . .
i want to hear all about this

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#184 of 314 Old 01-08-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
i want to hear all about this
Well, you did ask . . .

For Palm Sunday, we collect pine needles and act out Jesus riding into Jerusalem (this year, we might even act out the Lazarus story the night before). I have a felt scene of Jerusalem that I made and pictures of Jesus doing different things for each day. We read the Bible story associated with each picture and then move Jesus to the appropriate places. We even build a garden of Gethsemane. On Maundy Thursday, we wash each other's feet and reinact the Last Supper by making our own unleavened bread and grape juice that we share. On Good Friday, we cover our cross with black lace at noon and leave it that way until Easter. One of dd's favorite games to play is hide the resurrected Jesus, in which she takes our picture of the resurrected Jesus that we put out on Easter and hides him and we have to find them. This is in honor of how Jesus would appear and disappear after his resurrection. (She came up with this idea, not me, but hey, she likes it and still talks about it a year later.) This year I'm planning on incorporating some Taize chants with our Holy Week devotion. There's a fantastic one called "Stay with Me" that is for Maundy Thursday. It's just haunting. I love it. One of the most memorable experiences of my life was Holy Week services at an Episcopal church that did Taize chant.

We also have a 7-candle holder that holds the Lenten candles we make on Candlemas (Feb.2) from our Advent candles (Palm Sunday is pink, the next 4 candles are purple, Good Friday is pink, Saturday is purple and Easter is white). The deal is to light all the candles on the first day, and after that you light one less candle so by Easter, you only light one candle (the opposite of Advent). We have a Lenten family devotional that we read each night during Lent, by the light of our Christ candle from Advent (the largest white one in the center of the Advent wreath).

(We actually attend a non-liturgical church, but I LOVE liturgy--I'm a Medievalist--so we do our own Liturgy of the Home, as I call it. It's amazing and it really "speaks" to dd in a way that no 2-dimensional children's Bible study can, imo.)

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#185 of 314 Old 01-08-2010, 11:35 PM

So... I cannot for the life of me decide between BFIAR and PWB. Opinions?

Oh, and if it makes a difference, DS is going on 5, but he is non-verbal and his fine motor skills are delayed so lots of discussion and/or writing would be too much for him.

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

#186 of 314 Old 01-09-2010, 12:29 AM

We've had a good week. Our FIAr book was Another Celebrate Dancing Bear (will be continuing next week). He really liked this story and had a great time learning about bears and Russia. We watched some you tube dancing bear videos, along with some plugs of the nut cracker, we built a Russian city out of blocks, can now locate Russia on a map, really enjoying our "arctic water table" and potato flake "snow" sensory bin. We also sang songs, played games, and read tons of other stories.
#187 of 314 Old 01-09-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post
Well, you did ask . . .

For Palm Sunday, we collect pine needles and act out Jesus riding into Jerusalem (this year, we might even act out the Lazarus story the night before). I have a felt scene of Jerusalem that I made and pictures of Jesus doing different things for each day. We read the Bible story associated with each picture and then move Jesus to the appropriate places. We even build a garden of Gethsemane. On Maundy Thursday, we wash each other's feet and reinact the Last Supper by making our own unleavened bread and grape juice that we share. On Good Friday, we cover our cross with black lace at noon and leave it that way until Easter. One of dd's favorite games to play is hide the resurrected Jesus, in which she takes our picture of the resurrected Jesus that we put out on Easter and hides him and we have to find them. This is in honor of how Jesus would appear and disappear after his resurrection. (She came up with this idea, not me, but hey, she likes it and still talks about it a year later.) This year I'm planning on incorporating some Taize chants with our Holy Week devotion. There's a fantastic one called "Stay with Me" that is for Maundy Thursday. It's just haunting. I love it. One of the most memorable experiences of my life was Holy Week services at an Episcopal church that did Taize chant.

We also have a 7-candle holder that holds the Lenten candles we make on Candlemas (Feb.2) from our Advent candles (Palm Sunday is pink, the next 4 candles are purple, Good Friday is pink, Saturday is purple and Easter is white). The deal is to light all the candles on the first day, and after that you light one less candle so by Easter, you only light one candle (the opposite of Advent). We have a Lenten family devotional that we read each night during Lent, by the light of our Christ candle from Advent (the largest white one in the center of the Advent wreath).

(We actually attend a non-liturgical church, but I LOVE liturgy--I'm a Medievalist--so we do our own Liturgy of the Home, as I call it. It's amazing and it really "speaks" to dd in a way that no 2-dimensional children's Bible study can, imo.)
wow

sounds awasome

your DD is a little younger than my son, but there is no way he could handle all that -- and i don't think he "gets it" that well yet either.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#188 of 314 Old 01-09-2010, 10:28 PM

It actually isn't as much as it looks like. The Lenten devotions, like our Advent ones, are pretty short (dd usually likes to make them more elaborate with songs she makes up or poems she writes or she'll have a specific way to light and blow out the candles, etc.), but even with that it will take tops 30 minutes for our bedtime devotion, and that's reaaaallly drawing it out. Holy Week is a bit more intense but dd loves to act out stories and bake and such, so it's really right up her alley. The hard thing, I've found, is doing devotions consistently EVERY night, which for both Advent and Lent are about a month and a half, the way we do it. I'm actually very grateful for the current reprieve where we just light a prayer candle, say a prayer, read a Bible story, and call it a night. At the height of the 12 Days of Christmas we were lighting 17 candles (4 Advent candles, 1 Christ candle, 12 Christmas candles). I'm actually quite shocked our fire alarm didn't go off.

#189 of 314 Old 01-10-2010, 03:15 AM - Thread Starter

Well we're making more progress with peak with books. i was delighted this am when ds asked to do 'school time' he said he wanted to pretend we were in the public gardens again. We were reading make way for ducklings this week. So we started off an hour before lunch on the swan boat (we just put chairs in rows and his bear bench in the rear w/bears sitting on it, lol) and I have improvised some activities b/c i didn't have certain materials and all in all i think my idea turned out funner than the original. Instead of doing another activity where ds did a mural of all the ducks and the public gardens, he and i used paper plates and we both drew all the ducks and ducklings on each plate, we then put them next to the 'swan boat' and threw trio blocks at them and pretended they were the peanuts the ducks ate in the story. We did that yesterday and again today, although today he threw the blocks while I read one of the non-fiction extension books about ducks, (i was acting kind of like a tour guide, lol).

We also built the public gardens out of his trio blocks, yesterday I read "make way for ducklings" while ds acted out the actions with the trio blocks we had made into all the ducklings, michael, his police booth, the swan boat and the bicycle. Today we just played a bit with them freely, did that twice today.

Ds also did another PWB activity, grouping items in sets of 8. He glued sets of 8 of beans, marshmallows and cereal on paper...

we also did another letter and number from his HOP books, and he LOVES the math cd music, we have to dance to those songs a few times a day, lol. We also played some board games and ds and dh played more games in the evening when i was making dinner.

Tommorrow, since the high is suppose to be around 27, I hope to go and play in the snow with ds, maybe build a snowman, and investigate those rabbit tracks on our deck.

Monday hoping to get to the gym and needing to get to the library to pick up the next books for PWB, to start on monday afternoon.

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#190 of 314 Old 01-10-2010, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey View Post
So... I cannot for the life of me decide between BFIAR and PWB. Opinions?

Oh, and if it makes a difference, DS is going on 5, but he is non-verbal and his fine motor skills are delayed so lots of discussion and/or writing would be too much for him.
Well i've only been using PWB with ds for 2 weeks, but since ds is just 3.5 and is not writing or reading yet, i just skip over the parts where it says to have the children write names, etc. and i just write it and have him watch me write. Right now I am trying to follow the moving beyond the page website's weekly setup, but that calls for all of the reflection questions to be done in one day, there are about 10-15 questions that you are suppose to ask and the child is suppose to answer verbally. Since your ds is non-verbal i don't know how that section would go for you. it is possible you could break up the questions every day or just skip them entirely, they do take up about 3/4 of one page in the book, but we only spend about 5 minutes going over the questions. We spend the most of the time reading the actual book or the extension books or doing imaginative excercises and art projects that go along with the story of the week. I am skipping over things i don't think are appropriate for his level right now and I still feel like he is getting a lot out of the curriculum so far. One thing i am choosing to skip over is reading an extension book about the authors, I don't think my 3.5 year would sit through that read, and although i may find it interesting, he probably would not, kwim?

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#191 of 314 Old 01-10-2010, 04:20 AM

We've used both... I think BFIAR is a great gentle start, simple things to do or notice about each book, and PWB has a little more (potential) depth to it, more tie-ins like other books and poems and fingerplays. We're finishing up most of the BFIAR titles, and saving overlapping ones to do with PWB. After PWB, we will probably transition to FIAR, b/c I'm really enjoying the lit-based approach for short, simple yet rich lessons/exposure.

#192 of 314 Old 01-10-2010, 10:43 PM

I have decided that before we start Bible Heros -- I want to introduce a histroy time line to the boys -- we will use the upstairs hallyway -- longest wall i have.

http://bringinguplearners.com/the-mo...-to-timelines/

i found this site (rec by another mom here THANKS)

I want to start simple.

I will do a basic time line -- and we will put Theo and Chalres at one wnd and Adam and Eve at the other -- then we will fill in bible heros as we go --

rough for now.

I will work on an expanded one -- the whole line is the hall way -- but when ethere are "small" times (like since pa pa and Grandma were born on to now) on the big time line i will "break them out" and make a bigger time line of that period below the main line.

when we do the basement -- i will more the time line down there -- a much bigger wall -- by then (at least a year) Theo will be more ready to have a bit more "correct" time line done a bit more carefully.

so this week we will introduce "history" as a concept : and put up the time line with Adam and Eve and Theo adn Chalres on it .....

Aimee

#193 of 314 Old 01-11-2010, 11:08 AM

We are starting a Peter Rabbit lap book today without the Peter Rabbit book! I decided at the last minute to order it from Amazon and it should come tomorrow. So I printed off some coloring pages of Peter and we will talk about Beatrix Potter. This is our first lap book too!
#194 of 314 Old 01-11-2010, 11:32 AM

I think the lap book itself is growing on DD, she really likes to look through it, asks me to read the poems and fingerplays I wrote out on a few sections... It just didn't seem like the process of making it was quite as fun for her... Maybe I just need to switch back and forth between more "free art/process art" and asking her to help color and paste the lap book...

This week, I have one more PWB recommended tie-in book for "Ask Mr. Bear," called "The Very Small," which has a family of bears in it... And then I'm going to get some of her old favorite bear books from the library - Corduroy, (NOT Jesse, which we've done pretty recently), Goldilocks and the Three Bears... And if I can, I'm going to find a good non-fiction one about bears hibernating...

#195 of 314 Old 01-11-2010, 12:23 PM

My dd likes doing Literature Pockets so I figured she would like the lap book. She likes doing projects and loves being read to, so this is perfect for her!! She does not care for coloring so the coloring pages I printed weren't a hit.
#196 of 314 Old 01-11-2010, 10:39 PM

We started a time line today.

we measured the wall, meaused out the paper, cut the paper, taped it to the floor, drew the "line", took it to the wall, taped it up, and i printed a title for it and taped it up

and frankly that was as much as i could do with the 2 yo and 4 yo anxious to help

Theo asked a lot of questions and told Grandma about it on the phone, but he is cutely clueless.

tomorrow we add Adam and Eve, the birth of Christ (for AD vs BC) and Theo and Chalres to give them some perspective.

today Theo and I also talked about a daily check list to make sure we are doing everything --

fine motor,
"school with numbers"
"school with letters"
art
Bible reading
reading books
upstaris chorse
downstairs chorse

oh and Theo had speech -- and made it 35 minutes .. the longest up till today was 28 minutes. ST said he did a GREAT job.

#197 of 314 Old 01-12-2010, 01:21 AM

It was recently pointed out to me that my adorable, very much still a baby, 3.5yo would be going to prep if he were in a typical schooling family...

So may I take a moment to.... and then... .. seriously I may just

Ok, I'm over it now I just can't believe that this sweet, ringlet framed face is of an age for structured learning! So I refuse BUT I would like to snaggle neat ideas for fun activities that I can set him up with while I do his brothers (grades 1 and 3 this year) formal stuff. He is a cute babbly little dude who didn't even really start talking until just a year ago!

He IS recently getting interested in me reading to him (only VERY short books though lol) and colouring/ drawing and such. I do have playdoh, and things like lacing cards & buttons that he likes to play with but more inspiration is always good!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#198 of 314 Old 01-12-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
It was recently pointed out to me that my adorable, very much still a baby, 3.5yo would be going to prep if he were in a typical schooling family...

So may I take a moment to.... and then... .. seriously I may just

Ok, I'm over it now I just can't believe that this sweet, ringlet framed face is of an age for structured learning! So I refuse BUT I would like to snaggle neat ideas for fun activities that I can set him up with while I do his brothers (grades 1 and 3 this year) formal stuff. He is a cute babbly little dude who didn't even really start talking until just a year ago!

He IS recently getting interested in me reading to him (only VERY short books though lol) and colouring/ drawing and such. I do have playdoh, and things like lacing cards & buttons that he likes to play with but more inspiration is always good!
my son just turned 4. He did not talk at all till well past 3 and is in ST now.

He is my oldest, but i simply tell people we homeschool because EVERYONE here his age who is NOT a homeschool family IS in school. We get some pressure to put him in school it is jsut

#199 of 314 Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgianforti View Post
We are starting a Peter Rabbit lap book today without the Peter Rabbit book! I decided at the last minute to order it from Amazon and it should come tomorrow. So I printed off some coloring pages of Peter and we will talk about Beatrix Potter. This is our first lap book too!
The Peter Rabbit book came yesterday! So we read the story that night...twice! DD really enjoyed it and we will read it again then begin the lap book activities - I need to make copies on fun colored paper still....yes, slacker! LOL!
#200 of 314 Old 01-12-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgianforti View Post
The Peter Rabbit book came yesterday! So we read the story that night...twice! DD really enjoyed it and we will read it again then begin the lap book activities - I need to make copies on fun colored paper still....yes, slacker! LOL!
Can someone briefly explain, what is a lapbook? I've heard the term bandied about but have no concept of what this could be.

I hope you enjoy the Peter Rabbit series. We love these stories and will be revisiting them this spring. I'm planning on crafting a Peter Rabbit themed playscene with cabbages, flowers, etc., with some really cute felted Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny figures. Squirrel Nutkin has some good riddles in it and rhymes although I find the ending a bit abrupt. Still, it is an autumn staple. If you like Peter Rabbit, you will also like the Brambly Hedge stories. I think they are out of print, though, but you can get them affordably off of ebay. We just bought 3 for $15, which was a really good deal. It's all about a world of little mice and the illustrations are wonderful, as are the stories. I'm trying to build up our "seasonal" set, but there are other stories as well.

#201 of 314 Old 01-12-2010, 12:21 PM

It's kind of like scrapbooking, usually in a file folder or sometimes 2 of them put together, collecting little games, art, poems, concepts, all around a common theme, like a main book or core concept. It's supposed to be a fun way to collect what the child's learning, easy and fun review later... If you google it, you'll find lots of examples, templates, etc.

For the "Ask Mr. Bear" lapbook we just did, our first one, DD helped me (did some coloring & pasting) to put together little booklets on: the letter G, when her birthday is, a lovely poem on how different animals move, a fingerplay about little cows, basic manners... And a little matching game with pockets for cards with animals and things you get from them (cows/milk, etc.). She's enjoying it enough we may do something like it again, but I want to simplify and make it a little more "process art" like.

ETA: The big thing I've liked about it is that it gives me an easy way to work in related finger plays, songs, poems, etc., all collected in one spot.

#202 of 314 Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 PM

I just saw this group. Now I must join.

Kate is 3 and Calvin is 16 months. We started sorta homeschooling her this year after her 3rd birthday and plan to keep it that way.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#203 of 314 Old 01-12-2010, 05:48 PM

So we're back to Peak with Books. We have HOP that we will continue to use. I also hooked on handwriting, but feel it's not necessary at the moment. She's doing pretty good on her own so far. I also have Hooked on arithmetic (in the Hooked on Kindergarten box I bought on sale a while ago) but it's too advanced for her, so we're not doing that. We gave T4L a shot, I wrote about that last week, I think. PWB is good for her in that it gets me sitting down with her and reading and provides some sort of framework to get us going in the right direction. We are going to do the themes, in the front of the book. This week/month (however long it takes to get all the books from the library) is Animal Habitats. I found all but 2 of the books from the library, those 2 are on hold, and we currently Brown Bear, by E Carle. DD really likes the interaction doing PWB so we're gonna give this a real shot

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#204 of 314 Old 01-12-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
my son just turned 4. He did not talk at all till well past 3 and is in ST now.

He is my oldest, but i simply tell people we homeschool because EVERYONE here his age who is NOT a homeschool family IS in school. We get some pressure to put him in school it is jsut
I'm glad my son wasn't the only one that just decided not to talk till he was half grown (ok, it FELT like it was that long waiting for first words anyway ) The idea that ALL 4yo's are in school all day every day... just weirds me out I seem to remember being nearly 6 when I started K (of course... that would have been 30 odd years ago ) It's just.too.young

That being said... my 3.5yo goes to kindy/daycare (I take him to the same centre with a play based preschool that my 7 & 5yo's went to when I worked several years ago) 2 days a week. I had to make that call after trying to do quite a few activities etc with him in tow and nearly losing my mind.. as well as constantly worrying about losing a KID!! But I'm thinking around his 4th birthday in June, that I'll keep him home and see if 18months has matured him enough to at least listen when mum says come here .. and not just continue running towards the road ya know?

I'm planning to start simple activities with him to see if he enjoys having his own 'work' while his brothers do theirs. I'm going to scout out a small table & chairs so he can work in the same room with things like play doh, lacing cards, his beloved buttons (matching/stringing toys), crayons & paper, and picture books at various points of the day.

Lux, this is a lapbook. (at least, there should be a sample up on top of that page?) You can have a look at sample sections of the lapbook project on there as well. I'm not creative enough to make my own, so I buy 'em

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#205 of 314 Old 01-12-2010, 10:59 PM

Dd has been interested in weaving lately and on her own accord she got her pipe cleaners and started tying them onto our dining room chairs (they have slats). Yesterday she wove a beach scene and today she wove Jack and the Beanstalk. I thought that was pretty ingenious. We talked about tapestries and how people used to not have cameras so they would weave pictures instead. I love how history comes up! (I'm a medievalist so this is really my cup of tea, LOL!)

Currently she is dictating her own Winnie the Pooh story to daddy and it even has conversations in it, which is so cute. It's where Pooh falls into a pond and dd (who is the hero of the story) makes a pipe cleaner contraption to rescue him.

So, in other words, a plug for pipe cleaners here, LOL!

#206 of 314 Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 PM

Oh and thank you for the lapbook info!

#207 of 314 Old 01-13-2010, 01:04 AM

I'm totally not meaning to brag (well, not in a "Holier than thou" sort of way) but this is the story dd composed tonight and I must say that I was really impressed. Do y'all mind if I share it? She just turned 4 and this is the first story she has EVER dictated. We've been reading lots of the original Winnie the Pooh lately, and that's where dd got her material for this. I'm most impressed by how she really captured the verbage inherent in the Pooh stories, and also the flow of conversation. I'm really proud of her.

In Which Kanga and Baby Roo comes to the Forest and Roo Falls In

One day, Cecily came to visit Pooh. He plunged into the water with a splash and Rabbit came along. “Pooh!” he cried as he plunged into the water too. “Let’s make a contraption.” And Cecily made a pipe-cleaner contraption to rescue Pooh and Rabbit out of the water. And mommy got cardboard tubes and banged them against Pooh’s feet (to get the water off). And daddy got a net to try to fish Piglet out of the water, who plunged in too.i “Make a loud noise until rescued,” said Rabbit to Pooh.
And Pooh had so much time that he forgot it was time for a little something. And when he got home, he went to the larder and stood on a chair and reached up to the very top shelf and found twelve pots of honey. And then Piglet came and said, “What about a little something at my house?” “I’ve already had my little something” said Pooh. “What about a little something later at your house?” said Pooh. So Pooh went to Piglet’s house, went to the larder, and stood on a chair and reached up to the very top shelf and found haycorns. “Mmm” he said with a sigh. “Delicious. I do love these haycorns.”
And he went back home and hummed a little hum to himself and it went like this. “How a bear say thee light and love, for the hope and the love of Jesus Christ is born today on Christmas Day in the morning.” And then Kanga and Baby Roo came along and everyone gathered around him to watch him have his hot chocolate tea.

The End

Dictated by Cecily
January 12, 2010

Footnote:
i: This sentence was added a few minutes after the rest of the story when Cecily realized she hadn’t included daddy in the story and had meant to.

#208 of 314 Old 01-13-2010, 02:12 AM

That story is adorable.

Tjej
#209 of 314 Old 01-13-2010, 10:29 AM

very cute story.
#210 of 314 Old 01-13-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post
I'm totally not meaning to brag (well, not in a "Holier than thou" sort of way) but this is the story dd composed tonight and I must say that I was really impressed. Do y'all mind if I share it? She just turned 4 and this is the first story she has EVER dictated. We've been reading lots of the original Winnie the Pooh lately, and that's where dd got her material for this. I'm most impressed by how she really captured the verbage inherent in the Pooh stories, and also the flow of conversation. I'm really proud of her.

In Which Kanga and Baby Roo comes to the Forest and Roo Falls In

One day, Cecily came to visit Pooh. He plunged into the water with a splash and Rabbit came along. “Pooh!” he cried as he plunged into the water too. “Let’s make a contraption.” And Cecily made a pipe-cleaner contraption to rescue Pooh and Rabbit out of the water. And mommy got cardboard tubes and banged them against Pooh’s feet (to get the water off). And daddy got a net to try to fish Piglet out of the water, who plunged in too.i “Make a loud noise until rescued,” said Rabbit to Pooh.
And Pooh had so much time that he forgot it was time for a little something. And when he got home, he went to the larder and stood on a chair and reached up to the very top shelf and found twelve pots of honey. And then Piglet came and said, “What about a little something at my house?” “I’ve already had my little something” said Pooh. “What about a little something later at your house?” said Pooh. So Pooh went to Piglet’s house, went to the larder, and stood on a chair and reached up to the very top shelf and found haycorns. “Mmm” he said with a sigh. “Delicious. I do love these haycorns.”
And he went back home and hummed a little hum to himself and it went like this. “How a bear say thee light and love, for the hope and the love of Jesus Christ is born today on Christmas Day in the morning.” And then Kanga and Baby Roo came along and everyone gathered around him to watch him have his hot chocolate tea.

The End

Dictated by Cecily
January 12, 2010

Footnote:
i: This sentence was added a few minutes after the rest of the story when Cecily realized she hadn’t included daddy in the story and had meant to.
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page