Home School kids & Uniforms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just curious - what are your thoughts on Uniforms for home schooled kids?

I tend to buy them used as they meat our criteria for modest children's wear, and I will admit the Parker ones stay looking nice. We also live within 2 blocks of a elementary, and across the street from a high school so uniforms help eliminate the call the to school of "some kid at XYZ address is skipping" {Our district isn't the friendliest to home schoolers and I've already had someone call once on DD playing out in the front with me working nearby - DD is not even school age yet!}. The public schools here also use uniforms, but theirs are Navy/Khaki bottoms with different colors of shirts for each grade level to make it easy to spot kids who do skip. The uniforms I buy are plaid - normally catholic school uniforms.

Am I correct in thinking that by putting DD in a uniform during school hours it might help eliminate the skipping problem?

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#2 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow! Just wow! It seems your area or neighbors need to find something else to occupy their time. I personally wouldnt feel that it would detract from that. If anything it would make them really stand out for instance if a ps safety officer was passing by and saw your child my first thought would be here is a kid in uniform and not in school.

We homeschool so I get the "no school today?" question alot and usually formt the same people Our state allows Hser to apply to be private schools so I typically carry a copy of the affidavit with me in my purse to whip out in case, although I have never had to. My children are younger elem. school so they assume either they are sick or not in school.
#3 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 02:44 PM

public school kids in my town have uniforms as well. i think the bonus of homeschooling is that my kids escape such ugly outfits, lol. i wouldn't consider putting my children in a uniform, and i don't think it would be of any benefit whatsoever. homeschooling is not illegal. if you have records, attendance, a portfolio (or whatever your state requires) that is sufficient and all you need. in my state, i have to keep all of those things, and if someone tried to challenge me because we play outside during school hours, well...they would lose and i would continue to play outside. my homeschool association would protect me, and i have everything required to protect myself. hth.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#4 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 PM

I don't buy uniforms for my dd. Won't it confuse people if you say they are homeschooled but then have your children in catholic school uniforms?
We always say, "Oh, we are homeschooling."

:Mama to 2 :
#5 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 03:10 PM

I hate uniforms. I strongly believe in the freedom of the individual to express him/herself through his/her clothing. I cringe when I see kids wearing uniforms. I don't even like dress codes.

No one (as far as I know) has ever called any authorities on us for the kids not being in school. It's a non-issue for us. I know my rights as a homeschooler, and I'm not afraid of anyone trying to make trouble about it.

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#6 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 03:59 PM

If it's more practical for your kids to wear uniforms, such as for the reasons you stated, by all means, I would do it. If it's just going to complicate your life to wear uniforms, then don't bother. Having 'school clothes' can help children get into the learning frame of mind which could make homeschool easier for you. When I was a Mary Kay consultant, I always got better results when making calls if I dressed as though I were seeing customers in person even though I could have been wearing my pajamas since I was just talking on the phone. So I do believe what you wear can affect how you think. And if it helps you relax so you don't have to worry about answering for why your kids aren't in 'school', even though you are within full rights of the law, then do it - I'm all for being practical and avoiding trouble unnecessary trouble.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#7 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 04:49 PM

I once ran into a woman that HSed her 2 girls. They were older and were wearing uniforms. I asked what Catholic school they attended and she said they HSed and she just buys the uniform so people would not ask why they were home.

At the time it struck me as SOOO strange. I would never put my child in a uniform to avoid a question or phone call. Of course I challenge someone to call the school district. I am in the right and I know the law. I guess if your child is fine with it then do it, but remember that you don't have to.
#8 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
No. Again, no.

They're going to think they're skipping if in a uniform, too. It just doesn't make any sense to put them in a uniform and suppose that will make people think they're NOT in school. Why not just make up some "we're homeschooling" shirts instead if it's that big a deal?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#9 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi View Post
I hate uniforms. I strongly believe in the freedom of the individual to express him/herself through his/her clothing. I cringe when I see kids wearing uniforms. I don't even like dress codes.
#10 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Am I correct in thinking that by putting DD in a uniform during school hours it might help eliminate the skipping problem?
I'm not really following your line of reasoning. If a child is out and about during school hours, wouldn't that lead to questions regardless of what they were wearing?

I've never felt the need to, or liked the idea of, hiding out. What we do is within the law and I've answered many people's questions about why my kids weren't in school. I've also talked with my kids about how to respond when they're out without me (my dd has been stopped by the local police in the past.)

The fact is, our kids are not skipping school--sure, people can ask about it, suspect it, question it, but they're just not truant.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#11 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
public school kids in my town have uniforms as well. i think the bonus of homeschooling is that my kids escape such ugly outfits, lol.
can a pagan mama say Amen??

We get the 'no school today?' a lot as well, but my kids choose their own clothing every day (even the 3yo which gets interesting lol) ALL schools here, public & private, wear uniforms. I don't think I would get less of thse kinds of questions if I put my kids in uniforms though.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#12 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I see nothing wrong with dressing your DC in clothing that happens to be similar to what the schooled kids are wearing for uniforms, if that's the kind of clothing that you and your DC like to wear. It's even fine to purchase secondhand uniforms for your kids to wear as clothes. Uniform clothes tend to be very well made (if uncomfortable) so they're a frugal choice (if readily available 2ndhand.) I mean, why limit your kid's right to wear a plaid skirt and blue blouse if that's what she wants to wear? Similarly, let her wear the purple "princess costume" to the grocery store when she's not in the mood to wear plaid.

But I wouldn't think of it as a "homeschool uniform" or use it as a way to escape anti-homeschooling sentiment. If anything, imitating a local school's uniform might make that worse, leading people do beleive that your kids DO attend the local school but are being truant.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#13 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Absoluetly NOT....one of my original reasons for HS was the whole uniform debate where we were living. Really your neighbors need to find something else to do. I also suggest you educate yourself on the HS laws in your area and get a bit more comfortable with them (not saying your not comfortable)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#14 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
No. Again, no.

They're going to think they're skipping if in a uniform, too.
wouldn't it be more oviosus that they were 'skiping' if they were in uniform? If they were in regular clothing it would seem people would be more likly to assume that they were sick, off, or to young....

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#15 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
wouldn't it be more oviosus that they were 'skiping' if they were in uniform? If they were in regular clothing it would seem people would be more likly to assume that they were sick, off, or to young....
it's a different uniform - so far locally I've heard at least when out and about it cuts down on issues - they assume the kid is a private school kid who their parent took them out for some reason.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#16 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post
Our district isn't the friendliest to home schoolers and I've already had someone call once on DD playing out in the front with me working nearby - DD is not even school age yet!}.
If you make sure to cover the legal obligations your state dictates once your child is of school age, you shouldn't need to worry about what some neighbor might think or what attitude your district has. By the time you need to navigate exceptions to the compulsory attendance laws, you'll have lots of time to have become very familiar with the legal details and to talk with local homeschoolers about how it works. Here are some good places to look up your state laws: in Home Education Magazine, and in A to Z HomesCool. Wearing uniforms could get to feel pretty stifling - I don't think any of you would want to keep it up for long. - Lillian

#17 of 25 Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 PM

This is a new one to me, in the homeschooling world. I never would have thought, in a million years, that there were homeschooling moms who would dress their kids in uniforms. And to avoid comments from strangers, no less!

I thought all states had laws regarding homeschooling. Are you in an area where you are not protected by law? Or are you in some way not following the law?

And I am not following your line of thinking. So, if a child is out playing in the yard in a uniform, neighbors won't still wonder why that child is not in school?
#18 of 25 Old 11-19-2009, 11:01 AM

If uniforms serve a purpose to your family and make you feel better, go for it. Personally, our uniform is pajamas.

Learning that crunchy is a whole different ball of wax with my big kids, Trace 11, Zane 10, and Saxton 7
#19 of 25 Old 11-19-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2boys View Post
If uniforms serve a purpose to your family and make you feel better, go for it. Personally, our uniform is pajamas.
us too

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#20 of 25 Old 11-19-2009, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I could see using a uniform of sorts if I had multiple children, mostly for outings. It might be handy to have T-shirts in a bright color that said "Yggdrasil Academy" on them, probably with hand-painted trees for a logo and a slogan picked by the kids.

Yesterday at the children's museum, I thought it would have been great if DD had had on a shirt that said "I AM the school group", preferably in a bright shade that looked nothing like the school uniforms all around us.

As it is, the only uniform DD has is her Spiral Scouts uniform.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#21 of 25 Old 11-19-2009, 07:51 PM

You can get some awesome t-shirts at:

http://www.greathomeschooltshirts.com/

Our homeschool group has one particular style that most of us have bought. When you buy as a group you can even have them print the name of your group on the back. In late August/early September, they have a great sale. Most shirts are only 5.99 during that time. But even without the sale they are only 7 or 8 dollars. We try to wear them when we are out as a group. It helps to recognize others in the group, especially for new people.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#22 of 25 Old 11-20-2009, 12:28 PM

My kids have uniforms-- they're hand-me-downs from their cousin, who's been wearing them to school since kindergarten (except for the year that I homeschooled her ). Chibi wore a lot of skirts and jumpers; Boobah loves skirts and jumpers, so she wears them whenever she can. Bean frequently wears the pants, polo shirts, and turtlenecks. The price can't be beat, and as mentioned those things are designed and constructed to last forever. I'd never encourage the kids to wear them every day, and I don't particularly encourage them to dress in uniform when we're going out-- Not even when we visit my mother, who lives in a town where ALL of the kids except the ones at the tiny private Montessori and the sizable community of homeschoolers wear uniforms. It's their decision, though, and they do occasionally find it amusing to dress as their cousins do for school.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#23 of 25 Old 11-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
No. Again, no.

They're going to think they're skipping if in a uniform, too. It just doesn't make any sense to put them in a uniform and suppose that will make people think they're NOT in school. Why not just make up some "we're homeschooling" shirts instead if it's that big a deal?
ITA.... I would think that having them in a uniform would make it look like they are skipping school unless they are out in public with a huge group that is wearing the same uniform.
#24 of 25 Old 11-22-2009, 02:56 AM

in our area all school kids are uniformed and we live with in a block of a ps and charter school, that said we are home schoolers so nope we dont wear uniforms unless you consider jammies to fit that description. but then again all of our neighbors know we home school and why.
#25 of 25 Old 11-22-2009, 10:01 AM

We have uniforms for outings that we classify "field trips" to remind the girls that it is school time still even though we aren't at home and that they need to keep the mindset. They are just white shirts with a green jumper (think Girl Scout green jumpers here) for the big kids, and green shirts with denim skirts for the little two. We've only had 2 school-specific field trips so far this year, and it does make it a lot easier because we don't have to explain that they are hs'ed and nobody asks since they are "in uniform"

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page