Is there a history book/curriculum like this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-01-2009, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for something that provides an overview without getting bogged down in details like specific dates, names of rivers, etc. Something kind of like Story of the World, but more of a summary rather than being so specific. I am realizing that my son likes to hear about the general idea and then ask his own questions, but when presented with too many details right off the bat when he's trying to just understand the basic idea, he gets confused and bored.

Is there anything like this that you can think of?
#2 of 15 Old 12-01-2009, 06:50 PM

Try using a Charlotte Mason approach to history. The basis is "living books" that are more like a story than a textbook approach. Dates, names, and important events can be written down in a book of centuries or a wall timeline, but not for study, just as a reference. It's a very gentle approach that allows for kids to make their own connections. We follow that approach and it's wonderful.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan

DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school

DS(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

#3 of 15 Old 12-01-2009, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Which specific books do you think? Story of the World is listed under Charlotte Mason books. Are there specific ones that you can recommend?

What I'd really love is a much more concise version of Story of the World.
#4 of 15 Old 12-02-2009, 12:00 AM

have you tried looking up the story of thw world on Amazon.com and then follwed the MORE link .. to see if it pops anything up? that would be a good place to start

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#5 of 15 Old 12-02-2009, 12:18 AM

100 American Tales is a great place to start on American history.

The suggested books on the page are pretty good too.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Story...9723762&sr=8-1
#6 of 15 Old 12-02-2009, 10:58 AM

Take a look at the book How To Teach What Really Happened. It's not a curriculum. It's an approach philosophy that keeps history focused more on the people who lived through it and how to look at different perspectives of the same story. It's asking questions and guiding children through developing a social awareness and investigating the facts.

You might also like Sonlight's reading lists. They have a lot of good books that give the story without being overwhelming on the rote memorization facts.

ETA: you didn't say how old your son was, but he might like the book series "You Wouldn't Want To Be...." They're cartoonish history overviews of specific times and people.
#7 of 15 Old 12-02-2009, 01:48 PM

Another good resource we like is: You are the Explorer. It presents the problems faced by world explorers, with 4 possible solutions. You choose one, then read what the actual explorer did. You also read the consequences (good and bad) of the decision made.

They also have
You Are the General
You Are the Senator
You Are the President
You Are the Corporate Executive

It's called the Great Decisions series.

http://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Great...9772476&sr=8-1
#8 of 15 Old 12-02-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
Another good resource we like is: You are the Explorer. It presents the problems faced by world explorers, with 4 possible solutions. You choose one, then read what the actual explorer did. You also read the consequences (good and bad) of the decision made.

They also have
You Are the General
You Are the Senator
You Are the President

wow

uhhhhh can i jsut teach the boys history??? there are so many fun resources out there

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#9 of 15 Old 12-02-2009, 03:58 PM

I am kind of a history minimalist.....

I have purchased The Complete Book of World History and The Complete Book of US History, by American Education Publishing. They are very affordable at Amazon, and they keep it simple.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#10 of 15 Old 12-03-2009, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llp34 View Post
I am kind of a history minimalist.....

I have purchased The Complete Book of World History and The Complete Book of US History, by American Education Publishing. They are very affordable at Amazon, and they keep it simple.
Hmm, that looks promising. I'm going to check it out.
#11 of 15 Old 12-03-2009, 03:55 AM

I was able to review them both by borrowing them from our library system first...maybe that will work for you too.....

There are also books on maps/geography and presidents/states. I've been waiting for a turn with those books frpm the library system for a couple of months...if I like them, I will buy them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanbaby View Post
Hmm, that looks promising. I'm going to check it out.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#12 of 15 Old 12-03-2009, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post

They also have
You Are the General
You Are the Senator
You Are the President

These are great my 9yr old ds loves them I found them used for $2 each, such a steal...

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#13 of 15 Old 12-03-2009, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llp34 View Post
I was able to review them both by borrowing them from our library system first...maybe that will work for you too.....

There are also books on maps/geography and presidents/states. I've been waiting for a turn with those books frpm the library system for a couple of months...if I like them, I will buy them too.
I have reviewed almost every via the Lib. We have a samll local lib -- so i request it all ILL. I go thugh book after book .. and buy the ones i know i like.

your gotta have a great realtionship with your Lib director ....

#14 of 15 Old 12-03-2009, 02:04 PM

So many resources, so little time!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#15 of 15 Old 12-03-2009, 02:41 PM

Another fun idea is to put up a time line or create a timeline book and use free or Dover clip art to put up on the time line as you read about various historic periods.

I keep meaning to do this.

Maybe I'll make a Christmas present to myself.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page