What color did you/would you paint a homeschool room? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-11-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I need to choose color(s) for our homeschool room which we will be organizing and decorating next month. Any advice on paint color? I hear red can be agitating and blue/green can be soothing. Any ideas or experience with color and learning environments?
#2 of 14 Old 12-11-2009, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to chime in that Reggio schools (as in reggio-emilia--if it is anything you are interested in) paint their walls white so that the only "decoration" on the walls is the children's work and it really highlights their own creation/documentation without any bold colors or anything taking away from it...and they choose a "warm" white.

If you look at white paints there are actually a ton to choose from and the white color we have on our walls at our preschool is a "rose" white so under a bright light there is a tinge of pink to it. It creates a warmer feeling than a "cold" white with a blue tinge to it.

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#3 of 14 Old 12-11-2009, 05:59 PM

i like my whole house to be in nice natural tones.... tans / woodish browns / burnt orange / maybe with a bit of green trimming ? that sort of thing. or even just natural wood and no paint at all. It just feels more 'natural' KWIM? and it doesn't distract from the kids stuff or create weird vibes.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#4 of 14 Old 12-11-2009, 06:08 PM

Ours is blue...and we love it.

white actually is more stimulating than blue/green...We have maps up on the wall, a calendar and art work the kids have made.
#5 of 14 Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 PM

I'm me. In love with this guy. We're bringing up two girls: Big A (8) and Little A (3)

#6 of 14 Old 12-12-2009, 08:38 PM

My house used to be all white, because I thought it wouldn't throw any color casts on photography pictures. I imagined someday painting it in all natural moss greens and beiges.

Then homeschool fever hit and I went nuts! I researched the best colors for learning and then for inspiration/creativity. For the reading room, I chose some colorful colors to keep people awake. For a basement room, I brightened it up with a pale yellow and blue. Kitchen is now a warm, muted orange. A more sizzling orange for the basement workout room that we now do science activities in. The house is so much more fun now and it makes the pictures I take so much more happy and vibrant than with the boring white we used to have. And not to disagree with Reggio schools, but the color really sets off our artwork and bookshelves...

http://satorismiles.com/homeschool-room-photos/

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#7 of 14 Old 12-12-2009, 08:41 PM

Oh, forgot to add, where we do most of our actual learning, it's still just white. The walls are just too high to paint myself. Since our study area floats in our main great room living area, the walls are shared. I imagine a soothing moss green when I can afford a painter.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#8 of 14 Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 PM

I can't paint at all because we live in a crappy apartment, but if I could I'd ask the kids for their input and we'd all decide together on the schoolroom. We'd probably end up with four walls in two different (coordinating!) colors, perhaps with one unifying trim color.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#9 of 14 Old 12-13-2009, 12:58 PM

Our playroom (HS room) is a soft, pretty green. It's very relaxing and pretty. I love it
#10 of 14 Old 12-13-2009, 01:01 PM

I've seen a couple gorgeous rooms on Flickr...two that stood out were golden yellow and a beautiful robin's egg blue.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#11 of 14 Old 12-13-2009, 05:30 PM

Here's an old archived MDC thread on the lazuring paint method used in Waldorf schools as well as in homes and some public places. You can have a lot of fun with variations on this, while still able to keep a soft look that isn't too busy. I think soft warm tones tend to work very well in all seasons, but bright primary colors on a wall can definitely be annoying. - Lillian
#12 of 14 Old 12-13-2009, 09:00 PM

If you are stuck not painting there is a method of putting large pieces of fabric on the wall using starch it looks like wallpaper when you are done and in the end all you need is warm water to remove it. I have almost done it twice.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/h...-fabric-015591

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#13 of 14 Old 12-13-2009, 10:32 PM

ousr is butter yellow- i read the yellow increases concentration

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#14 of 14 Old 12-13-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey B View Post
If you are stuck not painting there is a method of putting large pieces of fabric on the wall using starch it looks like wallpaper when you are done and in the end all you need is warm water to remove it. I have almost done it twice.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/h...-fabric-015591
THANK YOU! I've been trying to figure out what to do with a couple of walls that are now going to be wonderful with this method! And it seems as if there will be all sorts of creative sculptural/collage possibilities that can be added here and there... Lillian

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page