Safety Unit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-18-2009, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love to hear about safety units anyone has done. I'm thinking stranger danger, fire, 911, or anything else you included. I started thinking about it because dd and a friend were playing "Stop, Drop and Roll" today!
Thanks!

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
#2 of 6 Old 12-18-2009, 07:19 PM

I've done a fire safety unit with my kids each year, and we've had several informal lessons in calling 911. I'm not much on stranger danger at all, I actually encourage my kids to talk to strangers. Bean had a requirement for Cub Scouts that involved a long discussion about personal safety, so we did that but it wasn't specifically a homeschooling thing.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#3 of 6 Old 12-18-2009, 09:29 PM

subbing

DH is law enforcement -- we need to get more in place with the boys at home. Theo is pkr K but speech delayed which complicates matters ..

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#4 of 6 Old 12-19-2009, 01:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
My DS has taken multiple trips to the fire station and police station with his homeschool group, independent study school, and Cub Scouts, so he's gotten some of that there. I think it's generally pretty easy to arrange fire station visits. Stop, Drop, and Roll came up both there and in one of his videos (Barney, I think).

We read the Berenstain Bears book about strangers, and modified it to our own beliefs (basically, that it's perfectly fine to talk to strangers, but that there are certain things that no one, stranger or otherwise, should be asking of him). (Yet another thing I like about homeschooling - he's not getting "safety" talks that I don't feel are appropriate or helpful!)

We've talked about disaster preparedness and what to do in emergencies.

We need to talk about 911, including the cellphone specific portions of it, as we don't have a landline phone. I'm pretty sure he knows about 911, but not necessarily how to work a cellphone.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#5 of 6 Old 12-20-2009, 08:32 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Its-Time-Call-...1308276&sr=8-4

I can't seem to work the link button this morning, but this book looks like a good place to start with calling 911.

We have also read No Dragons For Tea

http://www.amazon.com/No-Dragons-Tea...1308444&sr=1-1

which is about fire safety. It has some tips in the back of the book. We played "stop drop and roll". We also play pretend that there's a fire in the house. As we are finding our way out of the house on our hands and knees, I ask things like "is it ok if I stop for my pocket book?" or "it's cold out, can I get my shoes?" The kids know we don't stop for anything.

As for "stranger danger"- I have been talking to the kids about this. There's a great book called [U]Protecting the Gift[U] by Gavin de Becker. The author encourages parents to help their children learn how to pick appropriate people in case they need help (if they get lost). You want your child to pick a person as oppose to the person picking out your child. You want your child to be comfortable talking to strangers. It's a great book if you haven't read it.

So that's where I'm starting.

-chelsea dust.gif
#6 of 6 Old 12-20-2009, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsmm View Post
As for "stranger danger"- I have been talking to the kids about this. There's a great book called [U]Protecting the Gift[U] by Gavin de Becker. The author encourages parents to help their children learn how to pick appropriate people in case they need help (if they get lost). You want your child to pick a person as oppose to the person picking out your child. You want your child to be comfortable talking to strangers. It's a great book if you haven't read it.
Yeah, that was my starting point too. I think it makes much more sense than the typical "Stranger Danger", and it means I don't have to squash my kids' natural friendliness.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page