Valentine Card Exchange **REMINDER** - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 134 Old 01-21-2010, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it too late to get in on this? I just pulled my son out of shcool and will be homeschooling for the remainder of the year, and he would LOVE this.
#62 of 134 Old 01-22-2010, 02:44 PM

If it is not too late count us in too
I pm'd you :-)
#63 of 134 Old 01-22-2010, 07:14 PM

My animal loving daughter got super excited about some National Geographic cards in the store but they came with lollipops and I dont know if that is allowed...would any parent be opposed to their child getting a lollipop with their card?

mother, wife, lover of life.
#64 of 134 Old 01-22-2010, 07:58 PM

My kids would love the lollipops. I think we'd all need to be agreement though, kwim? I asked about lollipops earlier in the thread and only got one response (saying it was OK). I figure if I don't get a clear answer I may just swap out suckers with pencils or stickers.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#65 of 134 Old 01-22-2010, 08:01 PM

Lolipops are fine with us.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
#66 of 134 Old 01-22-2010, 08:08 PM

Candy and such is fine for my kids! I would think unless someone days it is not ok for theirs (And we could just not send such things to those children right?) then all should be well? My kids would so love animal cards!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#67 of 134 Old 01-22-2010, 09:33 PM

The way I feel about the lollipops, candy, etc. is this: I will send what my kids pick out (if appropriate), and ya'll can send my kids whatever you'd like to. If it's not appropriate or if they can't have it for allergy/sensitivity reasons, I'll take it (and eat it ).

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#68 of 134 Old 01-22-2010, 10:09 PM

We are fine with candy.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#69 of 134 Old 01-23-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangopassion View Post
The way I feel about the lollipops, candy, etc. is this: I will send what my kids pick out (if appropriate), and ya'll can send my kids whatever you'd like to. If it's not appropriate or if they can't have it for allergy/sensitivity reasons, I'll take it (and eat it ).
Yeah but as the parent of a child who used to have food allergies it's just such a bummer to have to take the candy away and say, "sorry, you can't eat this." These kids are school aged, it's not like we're going to open the envelopes first in private. Thankfully dd doesn't have her food allergies anymore except for gluten (she has celiacs) but if she did still have them I would have been opposed to the candy.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#70 of 134 Old 01-23-2010, 12:57 AM

PONIES FOR EVERYONE!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#71 of 134 Old 01-23-2010, 01:50 AM

yay!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#72 of 134 Old 01-23-2010, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Yeah but as the parent of a child who used to have food allergies it's just such a bummer to have to take the candy away and say, "sorry, you can't eat this." These kids are school aged, it's not like we're going to open the envelopes first in private. Thankfully dd doesn't have her food allergies anymore except for gluten (she has celiacs) but if she did still have them I would have been opposed to the candy.
I know exactly what you mean. However, my children, and I would think that most children that are around school aged, know what they are allergic/sensitive to, and know what they should and should not consume. This of course does not include those instances of peanut allergies, where the child can have a severe reaction just from being in the same room as peanut and/or peanut based ingredients.

My children knew at age 3-4 what they weren't "allowed" to eat and would decline that particular food. It was just a fact of life to them... their feelings were never hurt because I took an allergen away from them.

I'm sure my kids would LOVE to get PONIES!!

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#73 of 134 Old 01-23-2010, 04:53 AM

I can see how taking something for a child with an allergy or what not can get old fast for both the parents and the child. I would not want to send something a child can not have but without being told before hand on a specially sweet holiday I would be sad if it was the rule of all to exclude such things. I rather we just be told so no one would send such things to the children who can not have them. Have a little one who had a dairy issue but no longer does I can sorta see both side but still I would hope that sweets would not be excluded for the whole.

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#74 of 134 Old 01-23-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. However, my children, and I would think that most children that are around school aged, know what they are allergic/sensitive to, and know what they should and should not consume. This of course does not include those instances of peanut allergies, where the child can have a severe reaction just from being in the same room as peanut and/or peanut based ingredients.

My children knew at age 3-4 what they weren't "allowed" to eat and would decline that particular food. It was just a fact of life to them... their feelings were never hurt because I took an allergen away from them.

I'm sure my kids would LOVE to get PONIES!!
Last year I had a few kids that were under 4 years of age. Just never know. I didn't get any candy or food in our Valentines that we received, just lots of handmade cards and stickers and stuff. It was so much fun! DD can't wait to get started.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#75 of 134 Old 01-23-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Lists sent!

Please double check your family listing for errors. I have checked and checked, but there is always the possibility that I missed something. So please check your family entry, and let me know ASAP if a correction is needed so that I may send it out to your group.

Obviously if you did not receive the list, contact me NOW!

Thanks everyone!!!
#76 of 134 Old 01-23-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I

I
I wish I could say that is the case for us. There are so many things my boys can't eat that it can feel really sad not to be able to join in the festivities. My 6 year old who is becoming more aware is getting even more sensitive than relaxed.

That said, I always keep a stash of safe lollipops in my house for situations like this. We always do a swap in these circumstances.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#77 of 134 Old 01-23-2010, 11:38 PM

yay! we got the list (group 1). we're sending store bought valentine cards in larger envelopes with a piece of candy. my kids were so excited to pick out their own cards... the thought of homemade ones were totally shunned... so i'm sorry if the candy is not acceptable, i apologize in advance...but i wasn't told of any allergies...hope you enjoy

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#78 of 134 Old 01-23-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
yay! we got the list (group 1). we're sending store bought valentine cards in larger envelopes with a piece of candy. my kids were so excited to pick out their own cards... the thought of homemade ones were totally shunned... so i'm sorry if the candy is not acceptable, i apologize in advance...but i wasn't told of any allergies...hope you enjoy
We're doing the same but with stickers or something instead. My ds had no desire to do homemade cards and he wants store bought ones to come here - I'm sure he won't be the only kid. He was so excited to pick out Star Wars cards at Target the other day.

#79 of 134 Old 01-24-2010, 12:57 AM

I'm sure we'll probably do a mix of store-bought and handmade. I saw --if anyone is interested-- many different valentines at Target that had pencils attached...

I know this is mothering and we're supposed to be a bit more "natural"...but they were Princesses and (I think) Spider-Man. I know my kids would be pumped about things like that.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#80 of 134 Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I'm sure we'll probably do a mix of store-bought and handmade. I saw --if anyone is interested-- many different valentines at Target that had pencils attached...

I know this is mothering and we're supposed to be a bit more "natural"...but they were Princesses and (I think) Spider-Man. I know my kids would be pumped about things like that.
lol. no worries! my daughter picked out spogebob!!!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#81 of 134 Old 01-24-2010, 02:43 PM

We'll probably do a mix as well. CherryPie will probably make hers and KiwiBoy will probably pick some out at the store. Not 100% sure yet, though.

#82 of 134 Old 01-24-2010, 04:32 PM

I hope the kids aren't disappointed with our homemade cards... I gave my kids the choice and they were really excited about making homemade ones. They've been having so much fun with it
#83 of 134 Old 01-24-2010, 04:44 PM

Looks like my girls want to make theirs and my son wants to buy his so a mix here as well!

#84 of 134 Old 01-24-2010, 10:32 PM

yay!!!

namaste.gif Practicing medicine Mama to four beautiful children 
#85 of 134 Old 01-24-2010, 11:28 PM

I think we're going to send ours out a bit early since we're leaving on the 1st for a trip and won't be back until the 10th late at night. I could leave them all ready to go with dh since he's staying here but I have a bad feeling he would forget.

#86 of 134 Old 01-25-2010, 12:18 AM

aww dang! I've been checking the swap forum and its here! Missed out this year If anyone missed this, LMK and I'll host a second swap on the swap forums.
#87 of 134 Old 01-25-2010, 12:56 AM

If you missed this exchange and would still like to take part, I have started a part II valentine exchange over in the swap forums!

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...6#post14978336
#88 of 134 Old 01-25-2010, 06:48 PM

Eva and Ana's mom,

I don't have last names for your daughters.Do you want to pm me with them or do you think they'll get to them without last names?

Thanks!

#89 of 134 Old 01-27-2010, 08:09 PM

We ended up going with store bought valentines. We are involved in a local exchange or two, and the kids decided they didn't have any desire to make ALL of the ones they would need (which works for me, as it is less work). So....we have a couple of different ones with tattoos and another with airplanes that you fold (which ds1 thought was much cooler than just a regular valentine). We'll have to swing by the post office next Monday and double check weight.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#90 of 134 Old 01-31-2010, 03:42 AM

My 10 year old is up late making them and thrilled about it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page