Favorite "Series" of books? Not so "school" focused. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD BURNED through the A to Z Mysteries and Capital Kids mysteries (same authors). Loved them both. She reads Magic Treehouse books, but she doesn't seem as enthralled with them.

She just recently started reading The Tail of Emily Windsnap and LOVES it (there are three in that series I believe). It is definitely more advanced than A to Z so I know she is okay with that (though I don't want them to be so advanced that she doesn't understand what she's reading).

Any serious favorites? She is almost 7 years old. She really seems to like getting into series because it makes her want to read the others. We have read the first couple from the Boxcar Children - I definitely want to delve more into those.

I know this has been asked before, but it seemed a lot of the series were centered around school. I'd prefer to keep the stories mostly away from school (don't care if they are actually school kids, just want the adventures to be not AT school).
#2 of 10 Old 01-05-2010, 05:14 PM

Have you seen these? They are about a homeschooling family. http://www.wrightontimebooks.com/

blogging.jpg 
#3 of 10 Old 01-05-2010, 05:51 PM

How about Beverly Cleary, the Ramona series? Ramona does go to school, but most of the stories take place at home (and a few interesting things on the way to school!). Also the series is available on cd read aloud by Stockard Channing. My daughter is 8.5 and has read the Ramona books many times in the last few years.

Dd also loves Ivy & Bean, I think there are 5 in the series and probably more on the way. She also loves the Clarice Bean books (Lauren Child). All of these have been available at our library.

Mama to Ainsley (7/01) , Finley (10/06) and Jade (10/06)

#4 of 10 Old 01-05-2010, 07:48 PM

You could try the Judy Moody series. Some of her adventures are at school, but most (I believe) are not.
#5 of 10 Old 01-05-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Which book was it, where it's revealed that santa isn't real. Wasn't it one of those?
#6 of 10 Old 01-05-2010, 08:51 PM

The Faery Realm series is good if she's into fairies. There is also the (in my opinion horrible but all 7 year old girls seem to love) Fairy series by Daisy Meadows.

Cynthia Rylant has some nice series. The Horse Diaries and Big Apple Barn are nice if she likes horses. Some kids like Animal Ark, mine didn't that much.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#7 of 10 Old 01-05-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyw View Post
Which book was it, where it's revealed that santa isn't real. Wasn't it one of those?
I don't know if this is the one you're thinking of, but Superfudge by Judy Blume gives it away. (I remember my third-grade teacher telling a friend of mine (who had leant her the book to read to our class) that she was going to skip the chapter "Santa Who?" because she thought some of the kids still believed.)

Lisa , mom to Isaac (9/1/03), Violet (6/19/06), Simon (10/9/09); wife to Eric ; handservant to Grace :
#8 of 10 Old 01-06-2010, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Lisa - that must be it, Superfudge. I always wanted to remember that so she wouldn't read it!!!
#9 of 10 Old 01-06-2010, 01:10 AM

These might be a tad harder in terms of reading level than the other books you mentioned, but my dd liked the Molly Moon series by Georgia Byng. They are mysteries as well, but thicker than the A to Z mysteries and have a bit of a fantasy element as well from what dd says.
#10 of 10 Old 01-06-2010, 10:57 PM

My 7 year old dd LOVED the Dragon Slayer Academy books. I think there are 19 of them....each about 100 pages.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page