Maybe a little unorthodox but doing school stuff at night? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else around here do that?

Basically, my 2.5 y/o is sucking the life out of me and I cannot get a free minute (ok lots of free minutes) to actually sit down and focus with my 6.5 y/o on her school stuff. It has been really challenging.

DD2 does not nap, loves my boobs, and is generally really pissed off when I have one-on-one time with her big sister. I have tried a myriad of toddler friendly crafts (which turn into a huge PITA and more trouble than it's worth), distraction with her own little activities, trying to get her to sit quietly in my lap so I can talk to her sister is unacceptable to her little 2 y/o brain right now. I tried the T.V. too as much as I hate to do it but if my older kid is anywhere near the tube I can't get her attention at all but if we move to the office then the 2 y/o flips out because we left her alone (which in reality is about 15 feet away in another room but that is too far--she's my stalker ). I am having a really hard time even dividing a little time between, we have no rhythm whatsoever and it is making it hard for us to do anything at all.

So I was thinking today that maybe I would do things with DD1 after her little sister is in bed. She usually goes to sleep by the time 8:30 rolls around so it would be after that and we'd actually get a little quiet time with DD1 to practice reading and writing and play a game or something.

What do you think? I really can't see anything wrong with it unless for some reason this is not an optimal time of day for a kid to learn. FTR, DD1 can be quite the night owl so I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be too tired.
#2 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
We do! I still have a night owl toddler underfoot but it works for us because all the distractions go away. All of the 8 yo's public schooled friends are in bed, too dark to play outside, etc. MUCH easier to get her to sit down and do it without all that competition.
#3 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Boudicca~ View Post
Does anyone else around here do that
At least half our school stuff gets done after dinner, sometimes quite late. It's just how it tends to work out for us.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#4 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
ooops baby double posted
#5 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Ok good to know! It is just so hard to get a rhythm in our house that works for us right now, it's not something I want to continue forever but at least until the little one is not obsessed with everything that doesn't include her, YK?
#6 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 10:04 PM

I think its a good idea if your daughter will work better after hours! Whatever works best for you and your little ones. We haven't done much work at night, but we don't always do the early morning thing either. Its all about flexibility.

Homeschooling mom of 2 rambunctious, loving, spectacular boys, wife to an incredible man who has been my best friend on this journey <3

#7 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 10:31 PM

I think that's one of the best things about homeschooling- you can school when the time is right. Go for it!

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#8 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 PM

I think it's a HORRIBLE idea, and it will never work. You really should rethink it.
Studies have shown, that every child should learn between the hours of 8:36 am and 2:48pm. Everything else is just a waste of time. You let your kid stay up past 8:30pm????

Just kidding!
If it works for you and your kid, who's to say "don't do it?"
Go for it, and don't think twice

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#9 of 25 Old 01-05-2010, 11:56 PM

We are thinking about this too, because I WOH and want to participate, and also because it is so much easier when there are two adults at home, so one can take care of the wild toddler But dd is tired at night and needs her sleep, like her mama, so it's going to take a bit of tweaking of our schedules.
#10 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
I think it's a HORRIBLE idea, and it will never work. You really should rethink it.
Studies have shown, that every child should learn between the hours of 8:36 am and 2:48pm. Everything else is just a waste of time. You let your kid stay up past 8:30pm????

Just kidding!
If it works for you and your kid, who's to say "don't do it?"
Go for it, and don't think twice

this is so cool. Yeah, it did seem kind of a no-brainer but I had to ask YK? It is great having this kind of flexibility and that is a big part of why we're doing this in the first place. I just admire those homeschooling peeps that I know that actually having a daytime thing going, I worked nights for years so getting out of that 2nd-3rd shift mentality has been tough but oh well to hell with it. I won't stress about timing so much, now it just seems silly.
#11 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 09:30 AM

We'll be doing that probably when dd4 stops napping. Right now that child takes a 3hr or so nap in the afternoons after we have lunch, so that's when we do the bulk of our hsing. But when she quits napping here soon (probably in the spring I'm guessing if she's anything like her biggest sister, who she seems to be the mirror image of in every way so far developmentally) I'll be moving lessons for dd1 to EARLY mornings before dd4 is awake and dd2's lessons to at night while dh is getting the little 2 to bed (then he will play a board game or read with dd1 and those two can go to bed when dd2 finishes lessons) I hate the thought of having to do it like that, but if that's how it needs done we'll do it. You do what you have to when you have a 2yo in the house..................... LOL

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#12 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
We did it that way for years. Evenings are still music practicing, history and readaloud, even though math, science, writing and the like have gravitated to the morning. Ten pm used to see several of my kids all hunkered down with hot chocolates doing math in their pyjamas.

Whatever works.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#13 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 02:20 PM

We're just doing K, but most of our schooling is done at night right now. We have most of our activities during the day, and nights are when we are home and everything is quiet and calm.

I love that we can work "school" into our life rather than try to schedule life around a public school calendar.
#14 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 02:41 PM

We do "school" at night. DS will be 5 next month and just wants to go, go, go all day long. At night he calms down, wants to snuggle up with me and a book, and he's more focused. So that's when I drag out the math manipulatives and writing paper and educational games. So far it's working out well.
#15 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 06:59 PM

I tell ya, funny how I was thinking about you today and here you are! Since we know the same hs peeps, I do totally understand what you mean. I admire them as well...but I know that most of us w/ littles at home are not on that kind of schedule. We have to do what works for our families and damn the clock! Eventually you may or may not evolve into a different rhythm...but if you try it and it works, go for it! I know you know it...but just adding my support.

Oh..and I have a message coming your way. Mini homeschool co-op in the works...
#16 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yes LC you do totally know what I'm talking about! How do they do it? And you know how Avery is, this kid just doesn't make anything easy ever! So yeah to hell with the clock, after hours homeschooling it is.

Looking forward to the info, see you later!
#17 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 08:28 PM

I know you've made up your mind, but I wanted to chime in to say that my dd does her best work at night. Generally more focused for whatever reason even though I can't get it through my head and keep trying to do our thing in the morning. Grrr to me. Thanks for reminding me of this option. (I have a 3.5yo who sounds just like your 2yo, so I really need to rethink our day.)
#18 of 25 Old 01-06-2010, 09:16 PM

I always have done my best work at night. Always. It was really detrimental to being in public school, but once I was homeschooled in high school it worked out just fine. Most of my learning happened at night -- probably significantly later than you're talking about, too!

I think that whatever works for your family is best! I've heard that the original public school schedule was set up around a farming lifestyle, and not around child development or educational philosophy -- basically it was to allow the children a couple hours in the morning to help out with farm chores before school, and leave them enough daylight in the evening to help out some more. Otherwise the farmer would have had to veto his children leaving for school.

We're still pretty unschooly in attitude, even though we're doing more "schoolwork" and more planning ahead and structured stuff now, so basically it's wherever it fits into the day, as it makes sense and feels good for us. If I'm able to be more responsive and present, and my children are more relaxed and receptive/active and motivated/interested and focused/whatever at a certain time of day, then that's when we should go for it. Trying to smash ourselves into someone else's idea of when all kids should learn (based on nothing but opinion, because that's what they're used to) would mean LESS learning and LESS enjoyment for all of us. The whole point of homeschooling (well, one of them) for us is to get away from the one-size-fits-all approach, to tailor the experience for each person, and to encourage absolute joy and freedom in learning and exploring... there's no way anyone else could determine our schedule for doing that. Do what works for you! If it isn't successful, or stops working, say, well, that was fun, and then move on to the next thing.

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#19 of 25 Old 01-07-2010, 03:33 AM

We had school Monday a.m. then we had school Mon p.m. because we had a lot of errands to run on Tuesday.

I say whatever works for you is super!
#20 of 25 Old 01-07-2010, 05:02 PM

When does your older dd usually go to bed?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#21 of 25 Old 01-07-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Usually by 10:30ish. We are night owls.
#22 of 25 Old 01-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Bwahahahaha!! Funny!!!

OP, I think it's great if you do that. I'm sure you will have more one-on-one time and help with the toddler if you do that. Perfect! My children unschool but they also both study an instrument and try to practice every day, as their teacher recommends, and after trying many different models and flows to the day, they both prefer to practice beginning at about 9 or 9:30PM. It seems that they have much more productive practices at that
time. Perhaps they inherited my night-owl tendencies.

The thing is that not everyone is so night-owl ish so eventually, if you notice
that your older child would do better completing projects during the day, then you can switch, but by then, chances are you will figure out another schedule (and your toddler will be older).
#23 of 25 Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 PM

I think it sounds like a great idea.

I`m homeschooling my son, and living alone with him. His father would LOVE to be a part of the homeschooling, but since he works during the day, that would be difficult. So, we have decided that on the days LoveBug sleeps at his fathers house, (tuesday and friday) they will "do school" in the afternoon. Just a little, so that dad also feels involved.

*Single, attached Norwegian mama to my LoveBug, 2001*

#24 of 25 Old 01-12-2010, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to get back to everyone and say OMG WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THIS MONTHS AGO!

We are actually getting stuff done. DD2 is in bed by 8 and then we work on stuff until about 11. It is going great, without the LO around to distract her and annoy me she is actually learning and I love that we are getting one-on-one time. It feels like we're making up for a lot of lost time and it is going great
#25 of 25 Old 01-13-2010, 12:01 PM

We also do a large portion of our schooling in the evenings and nights.
Works great for us, too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page