Curious: What time do you wake up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2010, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know...odd question. But it IS homeschool related. You see, I'm trying to be a better HS mama and mama/wife/human being in general...and I'm trying to re-evaluate our days.

I feel when I sleep late, our days get started wrong and the kids end up in PJs until noon. We're not eating breakfast until 10 and it is just so....wonky.

But that's not normal. Usually I don't sleep late...but I'm not waking up early.

So, tell me, what time do you wake up? What do you do in the morning? Is it working for you?

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
What time do *I* wake up, or what time does the rest of the family wake up?

On days when I wake up on my own, usually between 6:30 and 6:45. I have an earlier alarm two days a week for school (mine, not the kids).

DH usually gets up around 7:30ish.

The kids usually wake up on their own around 8:00. Breakfast at 10:00 is definitely not unheard of, and it's fairly common for them to be in PJs until shortly before we leave the house, whatever time that ends up being.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:43 PM

Our day is at its best when all of us are out of bed by around 8:00am and done eating breakfast, getting dressed, tidying the house by 9:30. That leaves us with a solid 2 1/2 hours to do our school routine and still be done by lunch. If I get busy in the morning and let the kids start playing for too long, we end up with a very grumpy start to our day, since eventually low blood sugar starts to have a bad effect on everyone's attitude. Also, my kids will play independently for quite a while in the afternoon, but only after they have had a good dose of attention from mom in the morning. If I try to reverse things and do my own projects in the morning, they tend to feel ignored.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:51 PM

I HS my oldest. My 4 year old attend preschool M-F mornings, 8:30-12. He gets on the bus at 8:15. We're also just naturally early morning people - the kids are up by 7 most days on their own. I'm up around 6:30 or earlier. I let the kids sleep until 7, then if I have to I wake them for breakfast. I have to dress my 4 year old for school and I find that my 8 year old is far more attentive if he's dressed as well, so I just put clothes on all the kids, even the 2 year old, right after breakfast. School in pj's just doesn't work for us. I'm dressed before they get up, or I get dressed with them.

I start schooling between 8:30-9am, depending on how organized I was the night before. We take a short break every 45 mins or so and we're usually done by 11:30 or noon. If we're not, we spend an hour after lunch while the younger kids are napping.

However, I'm re-eval'ing this whole thing b/c my son is terribly lost without structure in the afternoon and he mopes around asking for nothing but computer time and video games, which I will not give him in mass doses every single day! So I'm thinking I might either switch some smaller subject material to after lunch so he's getting some of my attention, or perhaps add some "required" reading material or online learning opportunities on a daily basis.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
My kids are 8, 6 and 2. In a perfect world, I would get up at 6 and my kids would sleep till 7:30-8:00.

My reality is different. The 2 year old is going through a reeeeeally difficult period and not sleeping well at night. So, I crawl out of bed at 7:30 and the kids have been up since 6:30 with my husband.

I have gotten much better about enforcing a better schedule. We are done with breakfast, dressed, hair brushed and ready to start schoolish stuff by 9am. We spend an hour or two, have lunch, then head out for a swim/playground/library/etc.

The days we hang out in pjs till lunch are lovely, but end up being a mellow day off since I can never get any meaningful work done in the afternoon.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

Old 01-11-2010, 04:06 PM

We tend to stay up late here so I'm usually out of bed by 8:30 a.m. and the kids are usually up by 9:30. I like "me" time to check my e-mail and check out my favourite sites and blogs before starting the day. We do breakfast between 9:30 and 10...sometimes later.
Sometimes I think I should be waking up early and I really do try, but I tend to spend time with my older children once my 4 year old goes to bed. Then we stay up late watching a show, talking, or playing games. Its hard to do that with a very overactive high needs little one is around. So for now, it works for us.

Shianne
I am just me. Cert. HHP and Herbalist and mom to three wonderful home educated boys.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:20 PM

On good days DD will get up at 7 am. If she's up earlier she's tired and cranky and the day is not as enjoyable.

I like it when we can snuggle in my bed for awhile before getting up. I keep DDs library books next to my bed and we read at least one book, often several before we start our morning routine.

I'd be miserable if we had to rush every morning.

There's no way for me to sleep if DD is awake and she rarely sleeps past 7 so we really don't have any worries about oversleeping around here!
Old 01-11-2010, 04:30 PM

Since I work until 2 am our day starts a bit late. My oldest sometimes stays up to hang out with me with her brother asleep. I am generally up by 8:30a, so is the 20 month old. My 9 year old is up by about 9:30. If we have activities planned for the day then we are up and about earlier.

Almost crunchy but sometimes soggy, homeschooling mommy of 2. biggrinbounce.gif

I work from home and love showing others how to do it too!

http://www.empoweredhomeschooler.com  computergeek2.gif

Old 01-11-2010, 04:41 PM

My kids have taken to getting up at 5 a.m. the last few days. Agh!

That aside, my husband leaves for work at 7 so if I want to shower before he leaves, I have to get up by 6:30. My oldest sleeps the latest, but we try to start school by 8 (sometimes earlier, sometimes later) so we're doing by 11:00.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM

Life starts here right about 6 am.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
Old 01-11-2010, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
8-9 am. This is good for me. It used to be 10:30.

I would rather wake earlier but I am a night owl and it just doesn't work. Except in summer. I can hardly ever sleep past 5 am then.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 01-11-2010, 06:16 PM

I usually get up around 7 or 8, but even if I sleep late it's fine because we don't start schoolwork until 10am.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 01-11-2010, 07:40 PM

i'm usually up by 7:30 at the latest. my son wakes up between 7-8. my dd wakes up by 9:30. we've been starting school around 11 lately. hth.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 01-11-2010, 08:21 PM

I am usually up by 7:45 and we get to work around 9. We eat breakfast and the kids watch 1/2 hour of something, then they either read or play until we get going.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 01-11-2010, 09:56 PM

Total night owl here! I love to read, and my favorite time is at night. So that affects what time *I* wake up, which lately is around 8:30-9:00am. If I wake up past 9:30am I feel like such a slacker, but that can happen some days...

My whole family goes to bed late, and I read aloud until 10pm. My daughter wakes up anywhere from 7:30-8:30am.

I have no schedule and would love to try harder on that this year. But I doubt I will be able to get to sleep earlier than 1am, so I'm fine with getting up at 8-9am.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
Old 01-11-2010, 10:01 PM

My son and I get up around 9:30 0r 10:00. If we are going to a morning activity, of course we have to get up earlier. Usually we have breakfast by 11:00. If we are home, we start school around 1:00. If we have an outside activity we call that school. I'm not real worried about whether we get to the actual "book work" or not. This morning we lay in bed and read stories until after 11:00.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
Old 01-12-2010, 12:17 AM

OMW . . . Do I even confess? We woke up at NOON today!!! We, is me and my 4 year-old co-sleeping twins. We really started rolling with a math game at 9:30 p.m. and continued until 11 p.m. Noon is a little late for us, but 11 or so isn't unusual. That is what I LOVE about homeschooling.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:51 AM

Between 7 and 8 am. We have to leave the house by 9 am a couple of days a week and in order to do that, I need to be up before 8 am.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
Old 01-12-2010, 02:01 AM

My alarm is set for 7:30; usually that will give me at least 30 minutes of "me" time in the morning. The boys tend to be up between 8 and 9am. I aim for school to start by 9:30, but usually it's more like 10am. If I don't get up early and get ready for the day (shower, etc.) before school, our day is like a day of catch-up and I don't like it. Things are much better when I'm up early. Honestly, I'd like to be up at 6:30, but I've been staying up too late to do.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 01-12-2010, 04:46 AM

8:00 and get going about 9:00.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:14 AM

We're up between 7 and 8. Dh leaves at 8 for work, which is when I officially get out of bed.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:25 AM

Wow, I feel like a huge slacker. I get up whenever the baby gets up (usually between 9 and noon) and the older kids (4 and 5) get up sometime before that and play together in their room until we are up. DH is usually up making work calls in the early AM (works from home) so they know to play quietly for the sake of letting the baby sleep and letting DH get some calls made before baby-chaos awakes. They just got pocket V-Smiles and legos for Christmas so they usually play with one of the two unless DH is able to help them with the playdoh. They get themselves water or milk and eat apples if they get hungry before we're up.

As you can see from the 5AM post time I am up pretty late each night as I also work from home. We don't really have a schedule before 5pm each day because we have alot to do for our business, but we always manage to get something done with the kids before 5 by working around any appointment times and we catch up with the rest in the evening. I LOVE the flexibility in our household and feel like it saves us so much stress. Bedtime for the kids is the only thing we have set in stone.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 PM
AAK

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I wake around 7 or 7:30 and we are going by 9

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
Old 01-12-2010, 02:22 PM

We wake up at 9 because that's the latest the dd2 will sleep in and she wakes us all up. If she'd sleep in as late as dd1 would we'd stay in bed until 11 and I'd be blissfully happy!
Old 01-12-2010, 02:29 PM

We tend to wake up at 12-1 pm most days, but are trying to pull it back some. Today i got up at 8 am cuz i had to work.
Ideally, I'd like us up at 10.

CPST
Old 01-12-2010, 04:48 PM

We usually start our day around 9:30 or 10. My oldest son usually wakes up around 8 or so and works on projects etc. He seems to enjoy the time to himself before his little brother wakes up. He also knows he can come in and get us at anytime, for any reason. I would love to be an early morning mama, but just can't seem to pull it off. My husband and I work from home after the kids are in bed, so we are up until about 2AM. We usually eat breakfast and then jump into school. We don't have a lot of structure, so I am really trying to get something established. I am sure everything will change when our next little one arrives in late April/ early May!

Wife to my beautiful Sky and SAHM to my three beautiful kids (12/01) , (3/07), and (5/10). We : : and. Peace to all of you wonderful mamas!
Old 01-12-2010, 06:16 PM

DD is an early riser, and gets up around 8am. We lounge around for a bit in bed though and read, or daydream, or talk about our day so I try not to get OUT of bed until about 8:45ish. Most of the time it works

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
Old 01-12-2010, 06:39 PM

Usually 7:30 and we start lessons around 9 ish.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:58 AM

I wake up when my kids do which is about 12 hours after whenever they go to bed. That has typically been around 8 give or take 1/2 hour. They are going to bed really late because of some medication and they are waking at 10 or even 11 and I'm sleeping until then. It does mess up our day but it's temporary and, really, I'm secretly hoping when they are a bit older they'll naturally start sleeping till 10! I'm built to stay up late and sleep in but my real life has hardly allowed that!

I can't see myself ever waking them to start our day. Sleep is so important. Part of the reason I homeschool is so they can get all the sleep they need when they need it (really, seriously).

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 01-13-2010, 09:00 AM

Wow, not many early birds on MDC.

I am usually up about 5am, along with DS (he takes a late morning nap which works great for us because it gives us some quiet time for lessons without an almost 2yo creating havoc).

The girls are usually up between 6 and 6:30. The 6yo plays with Ted while I run and shower, and the 9 yo reads in bed for a while. DH leaves about 7 am. We have breakfast at 7:30 and start lessons right away. We are done with most things by lunch, and have the afternoons for art, science, nature study, music practice and other activities.

This schedule works great for us. Morning is definitely the best time for academic work for my children, and we all like having flexible afternoons.

User Tag List