Spelling - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your thoughts on learning to spell? How do you teach it? Do you teach it? Do you think they retain words from spelling lists?

Curious,

Kathy
#2 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 04:43 PM

I think a lot of kids learn to spell quite well from lots of reading. However, I also think some kids need some direct instruction. My daughter was a very early reader and has always read a tremendous amount. However, she has always been a poor speller. When she was 6 we quickly went through a phonics program. I thought since she read so early it might have been a piece she was missing. She enjoyed it and seemed to 'get' it quite quickly. I don't know if it helped much - she was still a weak speller a couple of years later. We tried Spelling Power. She would miss quite a few on the pre-tests, work all week on those words, then take the post test and miss a bunch of words she spelled fine on the pre-test!

Now we've used Sequential Spelling for the past couple of years. It is quick and painless to do. It is based on word families and the patterns seem to stick with her. Her spelling has improved tremendously. However, I don't know if it is truly the program or the fact that now she communicates via email and message boards and all of a sudden spelling is important to her. LOL
#3 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 05:44 PM

I have been using AVKO sequential spelling with my just turned 7 year old with a lot of success...I sometimes expand on the spelling words and teach a little grammer which he seems to love...contractions, sentence structure etc...he has been retaining the words even weeks and weeks after he has even physically written the word and has been able to figure out how to spell other words he wants to spell on his own. It's helped with his handwriting too since its an every (or every other) day practice. As well as his reading since it works on word families.

For us the key was following the books advice to use a white board or chalkboard with different colors. That seemed to be key to him learning the words.

It's fun to plug the words into Spellingcity.com and then it adds another sensory approach...he's even spelled words out with soap in the tub...

sensory activities are key, beyond pencil and paper.

homeschooling, breastfeeding, cosleeping mama to ds1(7), ds2(3) and dd(3 months)
#4 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 07:52 PM

I think lots and lots of reading is the best way to cement spelling in the mind. But I was taught phonics and spelling rules (as well as word roots later on, which was really helpful, as was just a little bit of knowledge about the languages that English draws from), and had my spelling lists, and found that practice to help me out.

We take an ecclectic approach to spelling. It's not all about the lists, but it's not all by osmosis, either.
#5 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 09:51 PM

We're enjoying going by the rules, learning in a multi-sensory way. Spelling is my 5 year old daughter's favorite subject! (It rotates between Spelling and Math these days). We use All-About-Spelling. Link goes to our blog posts that describe it.
http://satorismiles.com/tag/aas/

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#6 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 11:34 PM

we like the draw-write-now books (we use them for dictation). i also purchased spectrum spelling in mid december. it's just a workbook, but we like it a lot. my dd is coming along nicely with it. we like to plug our words into spellingcity as well. it's a great site. hth.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#7 of 21 Old 01-23-2010, 11:58 PM

We use All-About-Spelling and LOVE it! It's a multi-sensory approach which is much needed in our home.

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#8 of 21 Old 01-24-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangopassion View Post
We use All-About-Spelling and LOVE it! It's a multi-sensory approach which is much needed in our home.
We love it too! I also don't believe that spelling will come from reading; I believe except for the few completely natural spellers (can spell anything), explicit, systematic spelling is the way to go. AAS teaches all the phonograms and the rules for using them, including syllable rules. It also carries over very well into reading, especially multi-syllabic words.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#9 of 21 Old 01-24-2010, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

My older 2 are decent spellers. They spell as well their friends who have spelling lists and such. They learned it from reading as they have never had "spelling" in their lives (we are borderline USers).

I have, on occasion, thought of doing spelling list and such. I have never gone beyond thinking - as their spelling is decent - but also out of concern that it was just busy work - that they would not remember words from list.

I do see, though, how learning in word families may be usefull - as would word roots.

I will check out some of the resources listed.

Kathy
#10 of 21 Old 01-24-2010, 02:35 AM

I don't see much value in word lists - when I taught, I would have kids ace the test on Friday and then forget it on Monday because it is only memorizing the spelling of individual words. Teaching the phonograms and how/when to use them enable to apply those rules across the board. Just my humble opinion.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#11 of 21 Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 AM

My DD is learning to spell by doing word searches & crossword puzzles. It seems to be working for her.

Lola , loving my DH, Mama to & we &
#12 of 21 Old 01-25-2010, 10:58 AM

Sequential Spelling here. Really works for my very social learner.

I'm wondering, though, if anyone has found a nice comprensive list I could print off of the most common spelling rules. Also looks for a list of root words, prefixes and suffixes to play around with.
#13 of 21 Old 01-25-2010, 02:46 PM

We just finished our All-About-Spelling lesson. Ds (7) wrote phrases that I dictated to him, jumped up and down to distinguish the syllables (his favorite thing to do), spelled aloud to me, and wrote on the dry erase board additional phrases. We also often use the letter tiles for spelling when he is resistant to writing. It provides various options for the hard-to-keep focused 7 year old.

I am really glad I found the program. Knowing the rules of spelling will go a lot farther than memorizing lists.
#14 of 21 Old 01-28-2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra-pip View Post
I have been using AVKO sequential spelling with my just turned 7 year old with a lot of success...
My special ed 8 year old is loving this program. It is the only thing that has worked for us so far. She is so proud of herself each day after our 10 minutes with this program. We just started it, but so far I give . You can download the first 7 lessons free to see how your child likes it. That is what we did.
#15 of 21 Old 01-28-2010, 05:20 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
I'm wondering, though, if anyone has found a nice comprensive list I could print off of the most common spelling rules.
This is the best list I've ever encountered.

I have four natural spellers here, so I've never taught spelling. If I did, I'd probably build an approach around the rules in the above link.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#16 of 21 Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM

Another vote for All About Spelling, here! It's not memorization, but simple, digestible chunks of spelling rules and patterns with examples and a few practice words and phrases. I like that it clears up the seemingly tricky stuff like when to use "ck" versus "k" at the end of the word. Or when to start a word with "c" or "k" since they both can make the same sound. I also like how the phrases naturally keep using words from previous lessons in a new context so review happens naturally along with new learning.

This along with word searches, reading, reading, reading, and playing word games like Banagrams has worked wonders for my dd1's spelling skills. Most important, she really likes the AAS book, and asks to do it!

"We think we're gliding down the highway when in fact we're slip sliding away." Paul Simon
DD-7 & B-G twins, 5
#17 of 21 Old 01-28-2010, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've never used a formal spelling curriculum, and I was incredibly frustrated by weekly "spelling tests" when my kids were in primary school.

DD1 is a naturally good speller. She didn't need any of the lists.

DD2 is a naturally horrible speller. Memorizing 10 words a week did NOTHING to help her spell better. She quickly forgot the memorized words. She does tons of reading, and has a good general sense of how words should be spelled, but she often forgets to double consonants or mixes up vowels. Her spelling is 100% comprehensible, even though many words aren't spelled properly. What's helped her spelling the most has been typing on the computer and then running her work through spell check. It's not JUST that spell check catches her mistakes: by seeing the words she misspells pop up like that, she's actually learning how to spell them!

DS has an innate interest in spelling words correctly. Tthis is partially fueled by Webkinz- that website has a list of words that are acceptable, and if you put in any "bad words" or misspell anything (so you include any words that aren't in their dictionary), it won't let you submit what you've typed so others can see it. He's constanly asking me "Mommy, how do you spell ______" (and has been doing that for years, even before he did much typing on Webkinz). He still does that-asks how to spell something when he's writing or typing, no matter what else I might be in the middle of when he wants the word.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#18 of 21 Old 01-28-2010, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I am having my dd learn words with one set long vowel pattern each week. I started doing this at the beginning of January because I wanted to help her see the pattern when she reads and it has really helped a lot. She is stumbling over words a lot less and it is funner to listen to her read already. I use a white board to show her the pattern and then have her read the spelling words and spell them once every day for three days. I am thinking about having her learn how to spell the sight words, but that would be really laborious and I am holding off until we get through the long vowel patterns.
#19 of 21 Old 01-29-2010, 02:54 AM

we read and i do a game where sometimes i will spell a word like i go ~do you want some C-A-K-E..she has to figure it out to know
also there a Free online program called spellingcity
anyways thats what we do

Keri
Non-Vax~No-Circ~T4L-Homeschooler~co-sleep~EBF~"Crunchy" SAHM to DD &DS
#20 of 21 Old 01-29-2010, 04:29 PM

Dingdangdilly moominmamma...Thanks!
#21 of 21 Old 01-31-2010, 05:27 AM

We are going to start All About Spelling next year. This year we're just focusing on basic reading skills. Language arts stuff doesn't come as easily to my daughter as say math and science concepts do. To each his own. I was a naturally good speller, and I see the difference between my learning style and hers and I do think both her reading and spelling will benefit from using an actual spelling program. She does really enjoy spelling out words to us when she masters a word family pattern, but I can see that mastering the pattern doesn't come as easily to her without practice, does that make sense? Like for me, I'd read it once and pretty much have it memorized, but I don't think that it comes that easily to every kid.

Another idea that I really think helps is finger-spelling out words with the ASL alphabet. We do this with phonics families sometimes. I think that "feeling" the pattern of consonants and vowels helps. JMO.

eta--just wanted to add that I do think there is a lot of value in being comfortable with spelling. I know that it gives me an edge for graded timed essay type tests (I could rock an AP exam in high school because of my writing skills even if I wasn't super comfortable with the subject matter, yk?); I also don't doubt myself when I fill out a formal application for a job or school (like have to take it home and look up words or whatever), etc, and I can write faster and more fluently in any situation because I'm confident in spelling. To me those are very handy life skills that I hope to help nurture in my daughter, so even tho it may be the "nerdy" homeschool thing to do, we will formally work on spelling.

Happy and in love with my family!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page