Question about Family Math books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-26-2010, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have both the early childhood and the 'original' Family Math books? I am trying to decide which one would be appropriate for our family. My ds is 4 1/2 and already does addition and subtraction in his head. He also understand concepts of greater than and less than, skip counting, etc. The ages listed say the early childhood book is good for concepts up to age 8 (I'm assuming second grade) while the original book says K - 4th. If anyone ahs either or both book and can give me an idea of the contents that would be great. I'd like to get my money's worth and can't afford to buy both. Any advice/insights would be appreciated.
#2 of 5 Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 PM

We have Family Math, Family Math II, and Family Math: The Middle School Years.

The Table of Contents lists the following as the "chapters" in Family Math:
  1. A Mathematical Environment
  2. Beginning
  3. Word Problems and Logical Reasoning
  4. Measurement
  5. Numbers and Operations
  6. Probability and Statistics
  7. Time and Money
  8. Geometry and Spacial Thinking
  9. Patterns and Number Charts
  10. Careers

In all the chapters beginning with 2, there are lots of activities. At the beginning of each activity it states the purpose of that activity. The approximate 'grade level' is also marked on each activity (ie: Primary, Elementary, Middle School/Junior High).

Most of the activities have several different levels of play so you can customize to your child's ability. There are very few activities in the book that are aimed just at any one level.

My family and I love all the Family Math books that we've tried.

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#3 of 5 Old 01-26-2010, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have both (though I've never actually used either, so i'm speaking strictly from having looked at them, but not personal experience).

Family Math for Young Children has a lot about sorting, categorizing, counting, and spatial awareness, and not a lot of arithmetic. It isn't divided up into subjects in the same way as Family Math, so I can't give you a handy list of topics like the previous poster

Most of the Young Children activities strike me as most appropriate for preschool/K, and I think a 7-8 year old functioning at grade level would probably not be too into it. Most of the normal Family Math activities strike me as most developmentally appropriate for a child who is a bit older - at least 6 or 7. However, I think the normal Family Math would be easier to adapt downwards than it would be adapt the Young Children version up to meet the capabilities of a more advanced child. Plus, you'll get more mileage out of the normal version.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#4 of 5 Old 01-26-2010, 11:30 PM

subbing

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#5 of 5 Old 01-27-2010, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both so much for the info!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page