Petering out at the end of the month - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-28-2010, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We do month long main lesson blocks, and I always tend to sort of give up by the last week. They still do enough work to call it school, but I tend to back way off the main lessons. Any tips for staying inspired all through the month?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 7 Old 01-28-2010, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't have any suggestions, but I do understand. We also had this problem when we were doing main lesson/block scheduling. We all just got saturated before the block was over. My solution was to move away from main lessons, so I guess that's not much help, lol.
#3 of 7 Old 01-28-2010, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is it really a problem? Or can you just accept this as part of your school/life rythm? It doesn't sound too bad if you count on 3 weeks of intense learning about a topic, then a week's mini-break, then a new topic to delve into.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#4 of 7 Old 01-29-2010, 05:08 AM

I switched to this "schedule" this year and we LOVE it - we do 3 weeks on and 1 week off - gives us a breather to get major house projects done, I do major grocery shopping that week -sometimes we are behind on a subject or two and we do work on it that week - I use that week to plan and shop for any upcoming events, birthdays etc that occur in the next 3 week block. It has made things much simpler for us.
#5 of 7 Old 01-29-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Is it really a problem? Or can you just accept this as part of your school/life rythm? It doesn't sound too bad if you count on 3 weeks of intense learning about a topic, then a week's mini-break, then a new topic to delve into.
this is what i was going to suggest.

3 week working hard,

a week of 1/2 review 1/2 break.

OR

3 weeks of main block hit it HARD then ... for that 4th week do a mini-unit of something .. or an over all review of the last few things you have done or somehting to switch up the pace --

then be ready for another 3 weeks.

??

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#6 of 7 Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You know, I just realized that part of it is because co-op has been off. We start up again in 2 weeks and I bet having one day a week "off" will help me stay focused.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#7 of 7 Old 01-29-2010, 03:24 PM

I need some inspiration, too. It's not easy to keep a steady level of energy with lessons.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page