ooh, thanks for that site, meetoo!

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 143 Old 03-12-2010, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mommas--I've been lurking on this thread as we are going to do 'summer preschool ' at home with DD before she starts at preschool next year. I hired the neighbor girls to teach DD so I can work and I'm developing on the lesson plan/curriculum right now. (It's turning into a bit of a book so I'm going to eventually post it on Scribd for free if you are interested). I try to have a fingerplay, a song, books, crafts, some science experiments, and cooking so far for each unit--Keeping DD busy is a big job .

As for games, we play Ear Tug and Wild Animal Scramble and DD likes them both. Animal Scramble gets her up and running around which is good--it could be used outside as well.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#123 of 143 Old 03-12-2010, 05:34 PM

made butterflies today:

http://scribinglife.wordpress.com/2010/03/12/

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#124 of 143 Old 03-12-2010, 11:39 PM

I can't find the booklist for Before Five in a Row anywhere. I want to make sure our library carries most of the books before I order BFIAR. Can someone post them here or send me a pm or a link to the booklist? I think they used to have it posted on the fiar website but don't see it anymore. TIA!

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#125 of 143 Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 PM

I think this has all of them for BFIAR.

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#126 of 143 Old 03-13-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post

Love this idea! So cute!

SAH, homeschooling mama to DS (1/06) and DD (3/07)
#127 of 143 Old 03-17-2010, 02:05 PM

bump

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#128 of 143 Old 03-17-2010, 03:35 PM

Spent this morning/early afternoon at the playground! Felt so good to be out in the warm sunshine!!

After naptime, we are planning on making wax paper butterflies http://www.enchantedlearning.com/cra.../stainedglass/and maybe painting some wooden shamrocks that DH cut out with his scroll saw! OR we might just scrap the crafts and play outside some more

#129 of 143 Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubatatamama View Post
Spent this morning/early afternoon at the playground! Felt so good to be out in the warm sunshine!!

After naptime, we are planning on making wax paper butterflies http://www.enchantedlearning.com/cra.../stainedglass/and maybe painting some wooden shamrocks that DH cut out with his scroll saw! OR we might just scrap the crafts and play outside some more
ohh I like. Mine are not ready for that, but i do like it a lot.

#130 of 143 Old 03-17-2010, 06:00 PM

???

If you do a lot of crafts, how do you clean it all up.

I want so bad a crafts room. if we build again (kill me!!! ) or remodle i will have a school room / craft room.

Anyway -- we paint once or twice a week, and with trying to wash out brushes and paint sponges and so on , and lay them out to dry -- in the kitchen sink and on the kitchen counter ... it is always such a mess.

and I feel like to go art i have to fist make sure all the dishes are cleaned and off the counter out of the sink so that i do not get paint on them, or clue or ____. then i want to cook again, and there are paintbrushed drying or stuff all over ... i feel like i totally clean my kitchen 3 or more times a day to allow us to do art ... and it is always a mess (and messes make me anxious and i enjoy less)

Any one have a good method? good system?

#131 of 143 Old 03-17-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
???

If you do a lot of crafts, how do you clean it all up.

I want so bad a crafts room. if we build again (kill me!!! ) or remodle i will have a school room / craft room.

Anyway -- we paint once or twice a week, and with trying to wash out brushes and paint sponges and so on , and lay them out to dry -- in the kitchen sink and on the kitchen counter ... it is always such a mess.

and I feel like to go art i have to fist make sure all the dishes are cleaned and off the counter out of the sink so that i do not get paint on them, or clue or ____. then i want to cook again, and there are paintbrushed drying or stuff all over ... i feel like i totally clean my kitchen 3 or more times a day to allow us to do art ... and it is always a mess (and messes make me anxious and i enjoy less)

Any one have a good method? good system?
I'm not sure of your kitchen set up, but the easiest method I have found is this:
I have several of those plastic kids cups like you get at a restaurant (any old cup would do). When we are doing a painting project, I keep one of those on the table nearby and when the kids want a new paintbrush (they seem to use a lot during each project, I throw it in there brush side down. When we are all done, I fill the cup part-way with water and put it in the corner of my sink, that way it is out of the way. This also helps get the paint off of them by soaking them, and they seem to come clean easier since they have been soaking. When I am ready to wash the paintbrushes, I just dump out the water, rinse the cup and put it in the dishwasher. Then, I rinse the brushes out really well and have a dishcloth laying next to my sink to lay them on to dry. The cloth doesn't really take up a lot of room and when they are all dry, I throw them back into the plastic cup and store them in a large open top plastic tote with all of the tempera paints.

Does this make sense?

#132 of 143 Old 03-17-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubatatamama View Post
I'm not sure of your kitchen set up, but the easiest method I have found is this:
I have several of those plastic kids cups like you get at a restaurant (any old cup would do). When we are doing a painting project, I keep one of those on the table nearby and when the kids want a new paintbrush (they seem to use a lot during each project, I throw it in there brush side down. When we are all done, I fill the cup part-way with water and put it in the corner of my sink, that way it is out of the way. This also helps get the paint off of them by soaking them, and they seem to come clean easier since they have been soaking. When I am ready to wash the paintbrushes, I just dump out the water, rinse the cup and put it in the dishwasher. Then, I rinse the brushes out really well and have a dishcloth laying next to my sink to lay them on to dry. The cloth doesn't really take up a lot of room and when they are all dry, I throw them back into the plastic cup and store them in a large open top plastic tote with all of the tempera paints.

Does this make sense?
that is what i do -- but it seems like i have paint everywhere. i have paint on my counter, in my white sink .... so I am doing something wrong

#133 of 143 Old 03-17-2010, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Somethings I do for messy art:

-Cover the table with a cheap table cloth this is quick and easy to pull on and off.
-teach the kids to walk to the bathroom with their hands up in the air not touching anything
-use an easel and lay the table cloth on the floor.
-teach the boys to help clean up! Even 18 month olds can "help" wipe spills and clean scraps off the floor.

I don't really care about paint on the counter. Is it not washing off? You could line one part of your counter with news paper if it really bothers you.

Not all art has to be messy. Maybe only do messy art 1-2x a week. Collages can be fun and relatively mess free. You can make cool suncatchers (to go with any theme) using contact paper and tissue paper. Water colors and bingo markers are a less messy alternative to tempera or finger paint. Also just remember my motto "Life with kids is messy" : lol
#134 of 143 Old 03-17-2010, 09:37 PM

Here in SoCal, it's warm enough to pull out the little pool... So we've started doing lots of volume and estimating play ("I wonder how many bowlfuls from the yellow bowl will fill up the watering can," etc.) and other water fun, like the important life lesson, "You splash me, I splash you"

Finished up nature books, still growing various seeds on the kitchen table (DH helped DD figure out for herself why the sprouts were leaning toward the sunlight, very cool). Moving on to PWB "The Three Goats Gruff" unit - today we read the Tortoise and the Hare, and had a few races of our own

Also did a few MathStart books last week, and they are so great! Have a few more on order from the library.

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#135 of 143 Old 03-17-2010, 09:44 PM

This is what I did just in the last 2 hours...

and I want to know when is it ENOUGH? We read the bird book. Went outside and made a nest. Blew bubbles. Looked for real birds' nests. Watched birds on Youtube. Watched Elmo. Made homemade bubble paint and painted eggs. Painted pictures. Put up Easter window clings. Painted wooden insects and DD still Mommy, mommy, MOMMY!!!!

I am TIRED.

I also made good progress on the summer preschool curriculum I've been working on.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#136 of 143 Old 03-18-2010, 01:39 AM

Some days they just have a burst of energy huh? We have had ballet class and violin this morning followed by storytime at the library and DD is still full of beans. She tells me next week she wants to do the tap class that happens before her ballet class as well oh and another ballet class in the next town. Right now she is watching a documentary on Russian ballerinas we found while we were at storytime...

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#137 of 143 Old 03-18-2010, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

The boy has been very into building toys that have printed directions to follow. He spent 4 hours on sat morning putting together a new lego set. He just now spent at least 45 minutes building a benderoo guitar. Anyone have an ideas for activities like that that isn't a new lego set? We have more then our share of legos already.
#138 of 143 Old 03-18-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetoo View Post
The boy has been very into building toys that have printed directions to follow. He spent 4 hours on sat morning putting together a new lego set. He just now spent at least 45 minutes building a benderoo guitar. Anyone have an ideas for activities like that that isn't a new lego set? We have more then our share of legos already.
do you npot want to BUY new legos or do you want to branch out from leogs? Without buying more there are plans on line or you could look for books at teh lib or ILL.

if you want to move beyond Legos -- what about more with the benderoos -- you could find more pictures for him to copy?

#139 of 143 Old 03-18-2010, 02:03 PM

Would he like Wikki stix and bending them so they go on the lines of a drawing? That's sort of similar, and with the drawing part to trace the wikki stix onto it'd be like directions - or he could rebuild the drawing in only wikki stix on another piece of paper.

Tjej

ETA: Oh, benderoos are wikki stix. Sorry!
#140 of 143 Old 03-18-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetoo View Post
What about these:

http://www.knex.com/

You can shop by age/skill level too.
#141 of 143 Old 03-20-2010, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Knex are a great idea, thanks! We don't have any of those yet. Are wikki sticks like benderoos?
#142 of 143 Old 03-28-2010, 09:50 AM

Has anyone started a Spring (Autumn here) thread? Or are you Northern hemisphere types all too busy outdoors?

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#143 of 143 Old 03-28-2010, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I just started a new thread HERE.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page