Pre-homeschool winter chat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 143 Old 02-09-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
has requested but never started

What was everyone up to today?

We are sick again! . So home all day again.

We did have fun making pretty SPRING colored rice to play with and doing some 3d art with these.
#2 of 143 Old 02-09-2010, 07:38 PM

We had a fun playtime with 2 sets of friends (moms and little boys) over in the morning...

One new thing we're working on is Spanish. DH is bilingual, and we tried One-Parent-One-Language - couldn't sustain it. But I'd still really like for DD to get lots of exposure while she's little... So I'm working on Rosetta Stone myself, with the dream of having all-Spanish evenings at home eventually, and DD occasionally requests to do a few minutes of Rosetta Stone with me. She's been into that for a week or so, and she's started asking spontaneously at times what to call something in Spanish. So we're trying to find a few other resources to mix in sometimes, keeping it short & fun, of course, to maintain the interest. I'm looking for some good, simple Spanish picture books to read with her - many seem too complex to start! We just found some picture flash cards that I use in little games with the oh-so-simple Spanish sentences I can form so far

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#3 of 143 Old 02-09-2010, 08:16 PM

My older dd walked away from our lap book activities today! LOL! Definitely not a hit!!!

So we started some Valentine crafts and baby dd wanted in on the action! So I set up a craft for her to do and she liked it!!
#4 of 143 Old 02-09-2010, 09:00 PM

Can't remember if I joined in on the last one or not, but I have a 2yo and a just turned 4yo doing the pre-homeschool thing. We're doing our own thing right now, until the AOP sale that will enable me to buy Horizons preschool for my 4yo. We're learning our letters, numbers, colors, and stuff like that.

Today though, we took a day off to go play in the 13 inches of snow in my front yard LOL The big kids got that time too, although I insisted on a couple lessons before we went out. We learned to make snowballs, we caught flaks on black paper and used a magnifier to look at the pretty patterns, we even went "snow diving" off the 2' wall around my patio into a HUGE drift. lol Tomorrow we may do the same or we may actually sit and do lessons, this week we're doing the letter Bb and I have a craft for the kids to do (we're gonna make paper bag puppet bears and then put on a puppet show for daddy that night) We'll also make some valentines to mail out to the grandparents in TX tomorrow if we remember (we live in OH)

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#5 of 143 Old 02-09-2010, 10:48 PM

Busy, busy A day, as in ds got to choose the majority of what we did. There were science experiments (soap bubbles that led to vinegar and baking soda that led to pennies and vinegar). A long walk to his favorite coffee shop to draw. A short stop at the library that turned into two hours and 17 books coming home with us. Finally a major detour across downtown to his favorite sculpture, just 'cause I miss it Mama.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#6 of 143 Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 PM

Yesterday we had our weekly story time/craft at the local bookstore. Followed by letterboxing/nature walk in the afternoon with friends.
Today, we had a play date at an indoor play place. This week (well, and last week) we have been studying about Our Bodies (mostly bones) since DS was wanting to learn more about skeletons and our bones.
Tomorrow, we have library story time/movement and we were supposed to go to a puppet show, but I am not 100% sure if we are going or not! We have co-op on Friday which is actually a mammals class this week at the Science Museum

Gabriele familybed1.gif DS (11/05) - homeschool.gif computergeek2.gif
...it is nothing like school, and we are never at home...so why is it called homeschooling?

#7 of 143 Old 02-10-2010, 11:04 AM

Yesterday we PAINTED -- hand prints and free painting. Theodore is ALL INTO mixing colors to see what you get. and I loove 4 yo's he is actually impressed by my limited creative skills and my "swirl" paint

we are starting to read Paddenton the Bear -- and do realted stuff --

but he doesn't seem to be folowing with no pictures

Also Theo doesn't seem to really "connect" some activities -- like a snack to a book -- at least not most of the time

Yesterday we drew a big city scape on teh esale -- and Theo added Curious George and the man with the Yellow Hat ... then he made on of the buildings on fire ... i added a root top garden

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#8 of 143 Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 PM

we are slowly getting back into the swing of this post baby got some plastic shelf things that the 'homework fairy' comes and fills with projects at night.

Yesterday we told the story (ish) of saint valintine and painted with red paint. we looked through his new high five magazine, and played with all red sort a shapes. also did some 'one for you one for me' with red cubes.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#9 of 143 Old 02-10-2010, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

We were stuck inside again!

my preschooler had fun building with trio blocks, making ice art, and making dip candles.
#10 of 143 Old 02-10-2010, 09:50 PM

We're buried in snow here and I'm sick so we didn't get out at all today. This morning we spent a couple of hours building structures with pillows and cushions and doing pretend play. This afternoon, I cleaned while dd made 2 valentine cards. You know it's a bad omen when you hear your child say from the other room, "Well, at least the silver didn't go everywhere like the red did!" On the upside, I now have randomly sparkling carpet. After she did the glitter she mixed up several dipping concoctions for her valentine cards (she's SUCH a chemist like dh)--some kids glue puffballs and hearts on valentines, mine mixes cocoa, pepper, and cornstarch solutions to dip them in. Dh got to come home early because of the snow, so we made pizza dough for tonight's dinner. We also got a bead set from grandma today, so dd made a necklace. After dinner dd was building a hoist and doing some pretend play with dh. She currently LOVES pipe cleaners and constructing things out of them. That's probably her top toy at the moment. Today we read Minerva Louise Finds a Hat (or something like that) and several Pooh stories. At dinner we all made up poetry about our food. We also squeezed several oranges for homemade OJ with dinner. YUM!

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#11 of 143 Old 02-10-2010, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

glitter is EVIL!
#12 of 143 Old 02-10-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetoo View Post
glitter is EVIL!
Yes it is! That stuff is perma-banned from my house when it comes to crafts........................

#13 of 143 Old 02-10-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post
We're buried in snow here and I'm sick so we didn't get out at all today. This morning we spent a couple of hours building structures with pillows and cushions and doing pretend play. This afternoon, I cleaned while dd made 2 valentine cards. You know it's a bad omen when you hear your child say from the other room, "Well, at least the silver didn't go everywhere like the red did!" On the upside, I now have randomly sparkling carpet. After she did the glitter she mixed up several dipping concoctions for her valentine cards (she's SUCH a chemist like dh)--some kids glue puffballs and hearts on valentines, mine mixes cocoa, pepper, and cornstarch solutions to dip them in. Dh got to come home early because of the snow, so we made pizza dough for tonight's dinner. We also got a bead set from grandma today, so dd made a necklace. After dinner dd was building a hoist and doing some pretend play with dh. She currently LOVES pipe cleaners and constructing things out of them. That's probably her top toy at the moment. Today we read Minerva Louise Finds a Hat (or something like that) and several Pooh stories. At dinner we all made up poetry about our food. We also squeezed several oranges for homemade OJ with dinner. YUM!
you are an amazing momma

1. my children do not know glitter exisits at all much less that they might be able to touch it. And they won't. there is still glitter in my folks house from when i was little -- not happneing here.

2. we do not independant creating like "creating dips" I think i would stroke out. GThey do art and cook -- but with my egal eye on them and NO expereimenting. LOL

3. I do not walk away from art at all -- ever -- LOL

Gee I was all proud of letting them paint twice this week. LOL

tomorrow i am going to tape a big peice of paper to the basement (not yet finished) floor and let them hand paint on it ..... then when it is dry we will use it to cover out glass storm door -- I am pretty proud of myself -- being ok with messy is new for me.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#14 of 143 Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
we are starting to read Paddenton the Bear -- and do realted stuff --

but he doesn't seem to be folowing with no pictures

Also Theo doesn't seem to really "connect" some activities -- like a snack to a book -- at least not most of the time
Not all kids are ready for longer read-alouds at Theo's age. I know my daughter only developed the focus/attention for chapter books around 4 1/2, and plenty of kids don't have it until later. So I'm sure it will come eventually!

As for connecting themed activities together -- is it really important that he do so? I mean, what do you think the benefit is? Just some food for thought.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#15 of 143 Old 02-10-2010, 11:49 PM

I don't think I joined in on the last pre homeschool chat. My boys just had their 5th birthday.

They've had quite a bit of time out in the snow, and our typical once a week story time at the library.

One has become fascinated with space, so we've had books and movies (as well as nova programs) about the planets, stars, and the hubble space telescope. It's fun to watch them learn about this stuff. Then there was the painting and coloring of space themed pictures.

They were given pattern blocks for their birthday, so we've had some time working with those.

I try to practice letter formation a few times each week.

And that's about it so far.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#16 of 143 Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
you are an amazing momma

1. my children do not know glitter exisits at all much less that they might be able to touch it. And they won't. there is still glitter in my folks house from when i was little -- not happneing here.

2. we do not independant creating like "creating dips" I think i would stroke out. GThey do art and cook -- but with my egal eye on them and NO expereimenting. LOL

3. I do not walk away from art at all -- ever -- LOL

Gee I was all proud of letting them paint twice this week. LOL

tomorrow i am going to tape a big peice of paper to the basement (not yet finished) floor and let them hand paint on it ..... then when it is dry we will use it to cover out glass storm door -- I am pretty proud of myself -- being ok with messy is new for me.
LOL! My mother likes to torment me and buy dd glitter and glitter glue and all kinds of messy things that I would prefer to live without. I guess it's payback time, LOL.

I got lucky with dd in that she's actually VERY careful and hates making messes. She isn't the kind of kid who would intentionally throw or shake glitter or flour everywhere. We cook a lot together and she's used to how ingredients are treated I guess, plus it's just her personality--not really laidback so much as just "careful." She has a friend who is the same age who I would not let near flour to save my life. He just has a very different temperment.

As for chapter books without pictures, if I were you, I'd just wait a few months on that. My dd is VERY big into reading--like will sit still for 2 hours and be read to kind of reading--and she still isn't ready for non-pictured books, I think. The closest we're doing to a chapter book is Winnie the Pooh, which she loves, but our edition has colored pictures. I can tell she gets more restless on the non-picture pages. By age 5, I'm going to try out a chapter book without pictures and see how we do, but I doubt before.

My dd is also very resistant to too much themed activities. I've finally just let her take the lead. If she wants to have bread and honey for a snack and read a Pooh chapter, fine, if not, fine. I think curricula just suggest doing this as a way for kids to have extra sensory ways to experience a story. However, sometimes you can just let it go, or maybe just suggest acting out the story or do something relating to the story that seems less planned. I dunno. My dd can smell "pre-planned activity" from a mile away and she hates them.

And yes, glitter is evil. Totally.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#17 of 143 Old 02-11-2010, 12:58 AM

Mmmm we love glitter at my house. we frequently are sparkly all day long due to glitters never ending reproducing abilities.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#18 of 143 Old 02-11-2010, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Aimee, my 6 yr old still isn't a huge fan of non pictured books. She can understand and follow them but she would rather me read her picture books. I think picture books have there own advantages. They are made for an adult to read, so often times they can have more vocab in them then early chapter books. They engage children (what is more important then that. ). I also found they help improve reading. My DD can go back and read the picture books we have already read, so she has help with words that might be to difficult. If you want him to listen to books with no pictures, what about reading it during lunch, or using books on tape?
#19 of 143 Old 02-11-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
LOL! My mother likes to torment me and buy dd glitter and glitter glue and all kinds of messy things that I would prefer to live without. I guess it's payback time, LOL.

I got lucky with dd in that she's actually VERY careful and hates making messes. She isn't the kind of kid who would intentionally throw or shake glitter or flour everywhere. We cook a lot together and she's used to how ingredients are treated I guess, plus it's just her personality--not really laidback so much as just "careful." She has a friend who is the same age who I would not let near flour to save my life. He just has a very different temperment.

THAT is cool -- Theo cooks with me -- but careful he is not, he can be fore a SHORT time, like to pour flour to cook, but not long term like to do glitter art, yk?

As for chapter books without pictures, if I were you, I'd just wait a few months on that. My dd is VERY big into reading--like will sit still for 2 hours and be read to kind of reading--and she still isn't ready for non-pictured books, I think. The closest we're doing to a chapter book is Winnie the Pooh, which she loves, but our edition has colored pictures. I can tell she gets more restless on the non-picture pages. By age 5, I'm going to try out a chapter book without pictures and see how we do, but I doubt before.

This IS Theodore -- he will read for over an hour or more -- as long as we can last with little brother's help. I guess he just isn't there yet on the lack of pictures. it is not the complex story issue or the lenght of the book ... i am glad others are the same.

we will put chapter books away again.

and no the connected activities aren't importnat -- jsut something i feel like i should be doing.

My dd is also very resistant to too much themed activities. I've finally just let her take the lead. If she wants to have bread and honey for a snack and read a Pooh chapter, fine, if not, fine. I think curricula just suggest doing this as a way for kids to have extra sensory ways to experience a story. However, sometimes you can just let it go, or maybe just suggest acting out the story or do something relating to the story that seems less planned. I dunno. My dd can smell "pre-planned activity" from a mile away and she hates them.

And yes, glitter is evil. Totally.

#20 of 143 Old 02-11-2010, 10:28 PM

We actually went and got some new glitter glue today for Valentines. I'm okay with it as long as we have the table set up for it.

It the science experiments that are major around here. I got two hours of cleaning done while ds did experiments. He's exploring bubbles with straws and strainers and other implements. We're stuck in bubbles right now because I need a little planning time for any other sort of project, and I'm not the best prep person (must get better).

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#21 of 143 Old 02-11-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey B View Post
We actually went and got some new glitter glue today for Valentines. I'm okay with it as long as we have the table set up for it.

It the science experiments that are major around here. I got two hours of cleaning done while ds did experiments. He's exploring bubbles with straws and strainers and other implements. We're stuck in bubbles right now because I need a little planning time for any other sort of project, and I'm not the best prep person (must get better).
my hat is OFF to any momma of a pre-school kid who can walk away from the table / activity for anything beyond crayons. Crayons Theo handles alone, everything else i have to be right there ..... my hat is off to you guys -- i'd love to be a fly on the wall. JEALOUS

#22 of 143 Old 02-12-2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:

Did you make your own bubble solution? If so, how?

Also, what kinds of things are you doing with bubbles? I bet dd would like that!

#23 of 143 Old 02-12-2010, 03:10 AM

My husband was home today so he took DS to gym class in the morning and I got a nice break! We did reading and more reading today, water play (I'm saving to get him a big sand/water table) and some coloring. He's not big on art so the coloring was kind of surprising. We also built a rocket station out of blocks and then he went to the YMCA childcare for an hour and a half so I could swim. He loves to play there and its always a struggle to drag him away.

As for the chapter books: my son has little patience for non-picture books during the day but we started doing them for bedtime. He likes to stare at the ceiling fan and zone out while he's listening - it really helps him fall asleep. Pictures get him too interested and keep him awake asking questions so the chapter books with fewer pictures really help with that.
#24 of 143 Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 AM

I now get to add activities for my 2yo to the mix. She snuggled up to me this morning on the sofa and in that sweet little voice of hers said "go homeschool too mommy" while she looked at me with those big green eyes of hers. So I'm working her into the mix. I need to repurchase my Leap Frog dvds (loaned them out to a friend last year for her 4yo and 5yo to pick up the letter sounds and start reading, then they moved and the dvd's got lost in the move oh well) and I want to buy a couple other activities for her to do, so I'm going to spend this weekend looking at amazon to pick that stuff out to buy as soon as our federal tax refund comes in. Anyone got some fun suggestions that my 2yo and 4yo would enjoy? I was thinking I'd get the Melissa and Doug wooden "paper doll" set and some other stuff like that, but I'm not too sure what. I've got $350 allotted for next school year, and have $178 of it already planned out.

#25 of 143 Old 02-12-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Did you make your own bubble solution? If so, how?

Also, what kinds of things are you doing with bubbles? I bet dd would like that!
We were just using dish soap and warm water, but you can make your own bubble blowing liquid if you add some glycerin to the soap.

Our bubble exploration began with a bowl of soapy water and a straw. First it was just blowing bubbles then it was how many he could blow before they tumbled over. Then we tried sticking the straw in individual bubbles and expanding them. He noticed how the outside bubbles were rounded but the ones inside the mass had strait edges.

The second day we added a funnel and a little strainer to the mix as well as a second bowl. The experimenting continues.

We just got an ice cube try at the thrift store. We are going to do some freezing and thawing experiments next week. First up primary color ice cubes melting together (he's been asking about color mixing).

#26 of 143 Old 02-12-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
my hat is OFF to any momma of a pre-school kid who can walk away from the table / activity for anything beyond crayons. Crayons Theo handles alone, everything else i have to be right there ..... my hat is off to you guys -- i'd love to be a fly on the wall. JEALOUS
I guess my theory is that if he is occupied and excited I want to give him the space to work independently, besides there are great lessons to be learned from the cleaning process. It does get really mess sometimes but the art that's made and the conversations it leads to are well worth it.

#27 of 143 Old 02-12-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
We were just using dish soap and warm water, but you can make your own bubble blowing liquid if you add some glycerin to the soap.

Our bubble exploration began with a bowl of soapy water and a straw. First it was just blowing bubbles then it was how many he could blow before they tumbled over. Then we tried sticking the straw in individual bubbles and expanding them. He noticed how the outside bubbles were rounded but the ones inside the mass had strait edges.

The second day we added a funnel and a little strainer to the mix as well as a second bowl. The experimenting continues.

We just got an ice cube try at the thrift store. We are going to do some freezing and thawing experiments next week. First up primary color ice cubes melting together (he's been asking about color mixing).
the ice cube thing sounds fun

nak

are you going to use food coloring??

#28 of 143 Old 02-12-2010, 08:59 PM

I'm tired - today ended up being very full! This morning: heart-shaped valentines from construction paper, with crayon, stickers, glue and glitter

Then to the park to collect sticks and leaves & watch the birds - put various things into a plaything with lots of holes and chutes to see where they ended up - count the swings on the swing set b/c she just likes counting

After naptime: DD helped with stamps & envelope licking, then a field trip to the post office to mail off the valentines (just like Clifford...)

Then home to paint a heart-shaped cardboard box that she can store her "treasures" in... DH will be taking her off to get groceries soon (break time for Mommy!)

Tomorrow - making valentine's day cookies, and possibly a trip to the children's museum for what they're billing as "barnyard music"

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#29 of 143 Old 02-12-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
the ice cube thing sounds fun

nak

are you going to use food coloring??
I think so it's the easiest to handle.

#30 of 143 Old 02-13-2010, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

We have done ice cube painting with tempra paint. The color changes has it starts to warm. It's neat for little ones.

We have had an ok past few days. We have done a lot and the kids are having fun, but I am just feeling blah!

We did some candy heart math (graphing and estimating), made some crafts, went sledding with our homeschool group, had a play date, read stories, sang songs, played out in our yard. Hung up our ice yard and estimated how long it will take to melt. Ummmmm can't recall what else.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page