Who's already planning for next year? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 75 Old 02-14-2010, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't help but look ahead in excitement . . . I know that our plans will change, but I'm already starting to think about what I'd like to incorporate for next year, second grade.

Anybody else?

I am thinking that for 2nd the Oak Meadow Syllabus might be worth buying as a resource to draw from but not really as a spine. We'll still be free-wheeling eclectic here, but I've looked over their sample pages, and I like the look of some of the 2nd G stuff.

I also want to incorporate more Montessori. We have the New Child Montessori, and even tho some of the activities are too young for her, I'll definitely be looking at it for inspiration. Especially for Science and Geography. I'm going to get the puzzle maps and just start with one at a time.

Speaking of science, we are rocking through the RS4K pre-level 1 Chemistry. I could see us getting thru the pre-levels during the rest of this year and then having the Level 1 stuff available for 2nd grade.

Still planning on sticking with Miquon and Singapore for math, the two work really well for us. We do the workbooks 3-4 days a week and then free play with manipulatives or other "living math" on other days. I'd like to formally start studying some math history, I'm thinking "Mathematicians are People, Too" or smth similar would be a good place to start for that.

I'd like to make more of an attempt to actually follow through with SOTW. I think the key with it is for us to get/use the activity guide.

Still planning on sticking with Greek/Latin for foreign langs.

As a spine, I want Math, Classic Languages, and Science to be the emphasis of our 2nd grade curriculum. So if we don't do anything else, then we'll at least do math, a little foreign lang, and read some science materials. I think that will provide a pretty rich education, all in all.

Our bedtime read-alouds pretty much cover our literature. We've always read "classics" or living books, so that's what we'll stick with.

Art is just part of our lives, tho when we had certain days for certain materials, we were definitely having more art time. I'm just letting her take the lead on it, tho. I think I'd like to study say one famous artist for a month/6wks and look at one painting/art piece per week. I don't know where I heard the idea for that, but it seems really reasonable to me.

Anyways, what's everybody else's plans? Particularly if you're finishing 2nd this year or will be starting it next year?

Happy and in love with my family!
#2 of 75 Old 02-14-2010, 10:43 AM

i am already planning too. i won't make final decisions until summer, but i like to think ahead. for my ds, i'll probably stick with what he's doing but simply switch levels. explode the code, hooked on phonics grade 1, copywork, and read-alouds. for math, i'm not sure if i'll stay with our current program for him or not. for all other subjects, he'll simply learn alongside his sister.

for my daughter, we both agree that spectrum writing and language arts books are a keeper. i'll probably stick with their spelling program too, but that's not 100% (she loves it though). for math, we've really liked rod & staff the past couple of years, but i keep reading such great things about CLE that i'm really tempted to switch. but my dd is happy with R&S, so i'm not sure yet. we need to look at it together in person. for science, we'll probably create our own program. we especially love the christian liberty press nature readers. additionally, we'll continue to use the "let's read and find out about.." science series, janice van cleave books, gail gibbons, gardening, 4-H embryology program, etc. for history, (i'm most confused here every year)...i have a ton of ideas - but i'm just totally on the fence about what direction we'll actually go. we own SOTW and the activity guide, but i'd like to wait until my ds is in grade 2 to begin that. i also am looking at winter promise, sonlight readers (not the TG) and guest hollow american history 1. there are so many great reading list too from "a book in time" and other sites, that i may just go that route. anyway, i really have no idea what we'll end up using. but like you, my wheels are always turning this is as far as i've gotten in my thought process though. i'd love to see what others do (or plan to do) for grade 3!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#3 of 75 Old 02-14-2010, 11:26 AM

I'm starting to research and plan for next year. My almost-12 year old will be in grade 7 and my just-about-4 year old will be starting JK.
I have been thinking about a pre-packaged curriculum for my 12 yo. I've always put together her courses myself but I just don't have that energy this year. I have NO idea what I'm doing for my 4yo.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#4 of 75 Old 02-14-2010, 11:35 AM

That is pretty much all I have been doing the past 3 or 4 days. It started with my researching math programs because my 5yo dd needs a new book and I decided I wanted to switch to something better. Then I got super sick and have spent the last several days in the recliner all day long nursing a fever and a fussy infant who also doesn't seem to feel well. I am getting my plan together for my 5yo dd. I basically follow the Mother of Divine Grace curriculum with her, but I sub other things in several of the subjects, for instance I use the CHC phonics program and I will be doing Singapore math. I am also starting to think about my plan for my 2.5 yo. She doesn't seem interested yet; she mostly plays with puzzles and manipulatives while we school. My oldest dd could write most of her letters by this age, but they are all different. I plan to get her the Essential Math from Singapore along with the phonics and handwriting program from CHC. If she shows interest I will have them on hand, but will not be pushing it at all. When the times comes I will be loosely following MODG for her also.

A friend of mine just recently pulled her 9th grader from school and her enthusiasm has been like a shot in the arm for me. It has definitely positively affected my teaching And has made me so excited for the conference that I am going to in April

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#5 of 75 Old 02-14-2010, 11:44 AM

No, I haven't yet as we're still trying to get through this year. I don't know what we'll do for next year, but it has to be something different, as this year isn't going so great.

#6 of 75 Old 02-14-2010, 01:53 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I'm doing a bit of planning, mostly evaluating what is working or not for this year.

My first grader (going to be second grade): We will continue with singapore math I think, but we might add Miquon to it. I will start on ABeCeDarian for reading, but might continue explode the code as well. We will use spectrum spelling. Deciding on history and science. I won't use a curriculum, but like to plan out general scope. That is what I know for now.

My fourth grader (to be in fifth) will get a bit of a change I think. She constantly presents me with challenges in regards to curriculum. I will be using the MCT series for english/vocab/etc. and ditching easy grammar. While I like the scope and sequence of Singapore math, she doesn't like the pictorial approach--but she catches on to stuff really fast. She would rather me just cut to the chase with it all. So, I may actually continue the program with 6A and 6B but not buy the textbooks or I may just use something else entirely. Thinking about life of fred--but she gets fractions pretty well and never had difficulty with decimals--so I don't know if ???? I like that they would be an indepth review of each of the topics and I imagine that they will go further than she has with the topics, but I worry that she will get bored. The original plan was to do US History through the civil war this year and then to continue on next year from the civil war to modern times. I think we will do that still. She did physics this year, will probably use the chemistry course next year. I struggle with "literature" other than letting her read a ton and discussing. I also need to improve on getting her to write. Hopefully the MCT stuff will satisfy the writing end. But if not, I will probably sign her up for http://www.spidersmart.com/online_programs.php But to be honest, I may just scrap most curriculum and see where we go on our own.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#7 of 75 Old 02-14-2010, 02:41 PM

I am already drooling over our 2nd grade stuff for next year!

We do all the traditional Waldorf language arts stuff for each year:
-Aesop's fables
-Jataka tales
-Heroes/Saints (probably a Christopherus block)
-King of Ireland's son

still planning on using our current math:
-Making Math Meaningful (the Waldorf one...grades 1-5)
-Miquon

nature studies a la Thornton Burgess.....etc.

I am sooooo looking forward to it!!!!

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

#8 of 75 Old 02-14-2010, 05:11 PM

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#9 of 75 Old 02-14-2010, 05:29 PM

I'm already thinking about next year, too.

Ds-8 will continue with the Charlotte Mason method and use AmblesideOnline Year 3 for 4th grade. We currently use TT5 math - I may continue with TT or switch to something else (maybe LoF?).

Dd-13 has been accepted to Laguardia High School of Performing Arts (the "Fame" school) and will be attending next year as a dance major. She's so excited.

Dd-16 will be a senior at her journalism high school.

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan

DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school

DS(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

#10 of 75 Old 02-14-2010, 06:28 PM

I started planning about a month ago! i wanted to have everything figured out before any of the curriculum sales started.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#11 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm planning the next three years, sticking resources in where I think they're appropriate, with a slight emphasis on next year since it's coming up first.

This is mainly related to literature, history and science. I do a lot of messing with the Ambleside Online schedule to make it fit better with TWTM progression, plus sticking most every book I remember, run across at the library, or see mentioned on a blog or message board into a big list .

I'm not sure where DS will be reading and math-wise by the start of next year, nor do I know what sort of local resources we'll have available or how much we'll have available to spend on school supplies, so a lot of things are still very up in the air.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#12 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 01:15 AM

I've been thinking about curriculum. The big thing for me though is that we are strongly thinking of pulling our first grader from a really cool 2 full day homeschool center. It is great but it not entirely meeting out needs plus it is really expensive. We live in an incredibly active homeschooling community so we can meet our needs more cheaply. This is a tough decision because I love the mom who does the center, and the center is his second home. We are still mulling it over.

I am hoping to do the next level up of Building foundations of scientific understanding. We are loving the k-2 version, but it is a little too easy for him. I am hoping the next level 3-5 will be out by summer and will be a better fit. We should be ready for it this fall.

We will continue with our math: making math meaningful, plus lots of math games.

He is currently doing Master Reader and I think he will be done with that this fall. He says he likes to learn how to be a better reader so I am not sure what our next step will be.

I'm not sure about history. History Odyssey was a bit of a flop this year for him. He has loved reading again and again the Cartoon History of the Universe with DH at bedtime. So don't know what we will do next year. They have read each volume at least 5-6 times and he is now reading the first volume on his own. I will take his lead next year.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#13 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 01:23 AM

Not quite yet, but then our school year just got started down here a few weeks ago

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#14 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, so many great ideas and thoughts on this thread so far!

I wanted to add that I have been planning on adding All About Spelling (not a huge emphasis, but I think it will take the place of "reading/phonics" coz she's about ready to just be an independent reader), and dd has requested cursive, so I'm vacillating btwn HWOT cursive (there're two books?) and Cursive First (tho the clock face thing sounds confusing?).

Also, I plan on purchasing "The Latin Centered Education" and really picking through that for inspiration. I'd also like to learn more about the Thomas Jefferson Ed method.

I might look into the Making Math Meaningful, since it's coming up so much on this thread! It sounds really good, and I am a major math/manipulatives junkie (maybe coz I feel I got robbed in ps and dd enjoys it so much?).

What else? Oh---the Bob and Nancy store has this book, "Teaching Handwriting to Children" and some form drawing stuff that I've been eyeing for a REALLY long time.

Fun times, mommas! Keep the inspiration coming!

**Oh, one more thing! We have used the "Treadwell Readers" from the Yesterday's Classics website (Primer/First for this year), and I think that we will finish "First Reader" (actually the second book) and that she'll be ready for the Second and then we'll see if we want to get into the Third. De-emphasizing reading instruction this coming year; I think she's got the foundation and seems to be doing well with "just reading".

Also thinking about getting Grammar Land from the YC site, too, and maybe getting the Montessori 3D grammar symbols (it is coming up from our foreign lang stuff).

#15 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 11:02 AM

Next year will be dd's K year, so I'm definitely planning! We're going to stick with FIAR and HWT, unsure about RME as it seems to bore her to tears. I'm not sure about math, but since dd is visual/kinetic we're leaning toward the ever popular Math-U-See. I'm looking into nature studies, art and music curricula.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#16 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post
I might look into the Making Math Meaningful, since it's coming up so much on this thread!
there are two curriculums named making math meaningful. i just wanted to mention that, as i think the mama's here are are talking about to separate ones. i already own K, 1, and 2 of MMM from cornerstone. we're done with the grade 2. you can borrow it if you'd like. just promise to return it. everytime i loan something to a stranger/fellow homeschooler - they keep it! lol.

Quote:
**Oh, one more thing! We have used the "Treadwell Readers" from the Yesterday's Classics website (Primer/First for this year)
LOVE the treadwell readers!! i used those with my dd and plan to use them again with ds.

Quote:
Also thinking about getting Grammar Land
we have this too, but i don't use it. i have way too much that we don't use actually another MDC mama made go-along pages for grammar-land though, and they're really good! i can't remember which mama did it though. but i bet you could do an advanced search & find her blog link again. she put a lot of effort into it and they are great! here's the google book link where you can download it: http://books.google.com/books?id=iXg...age&q=&f=false

Mamma2Sammo, I've never heard of the cartoon history of the universe! Sounds great though!...Off to check it out!

#17 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 11:43 AM

us

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#18 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 11:55 AM

Yes ! The past week I have been on a search for new things for our DS1 who is finishing grade 1. I have no plans to stop for the summer so I'm actually starting some of the new things now, and some probably in a month or two, and I also have some ideas for fall.

Math - I decided to switch from just TCR and School Zone workbooks along with my own instruction to Singapore Math, and I ordered the 2A and 2B textbooks. I'm going to have him work in the TCR Word Problems books though up to the point where they catch up to Singapore 2A, and then start Singapore. I'm going to continue with the TCR Word Problems books though, since the new Singapore word problems books are not out yet, and I want to focus very heavily on word problems vs worksheets. He is very excited about his new "second grade math" books ! Also I already have a couple of the beginning books from the Critical Thinking Company - Math Analogies and Mind Benders - and I have my eye on Balance Benders too.

Language Arts - I decided I really needed some new materials to help him along with reading and writing, as he is struggling in this area. Today, he will be starting Spelling Workout A and Scholastic Daily Word Ladders. I am also going to order/download the pdf for Evan-Moor Grade 1 Language Fundamentals. When he is a little further along with writing, I will start him in Spectrum Writing for Grade 1. He is also starting vision therapy this Friday. I am optimistic that getting his eyes working together will help him with his reading and writing. If his eyes are improving and he is handling it well, by fall I would like to have him caught up to the skills he would be expected to have mastered if he was starting second grade in our school district. I am not positive but I think that is being able to read a level 1 reader with ease and being able to write a simple sentence independently.

Science - he has been taking a very cool nature/science class once a week through our park district, but he is aging out of that program at the end of March. So I will start with Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding. I'll probably aim for covering one lesson every other week, and make it sort of a small unit study with a couple of library books and an experiment when I can.

History/Social Studies - I have been holding off in these areas because of the focus on DS1's reading skills. I have the Complete History of the World and Complete History of the US books, and I want to start using them, maybe two lessons from them a month, and incorporate library books, crafts etc when I can.

I am also feeling like DS2 is perhaps ready to start exploring phonics a bit and I may see if he has some interest in looking at The Reading Lesson with me. He will be five in the fall (I can't BELIEVE it....my baby FIVE....WHERE does the time GO ??????) He already seems to know most of the letter sounds from watching the Leapfrog DVD. He was a bit behind on fine motor skills (they were evaluated) but really seems to have caught up in the last year and I would like to get him to spend more time playing around with writing instruments and paper, doing whatever he wants to do with them. I would also like to get him more in the habit of sitting and listening to a story and finally work a daily reading time into our routine. It sounds horribly lame that I haven't achieved this yet, but he's seriously been like a wild monkey and I've had to read to DS1 while DS2 was occupied with something else.

I'm also making a personal commitment to get us more involved with homeschool groups here. Especially going into the summer, I want our kids to have more relationships with other homeschooled kids.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#19 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 12:56 PM

We are!

Next year will be our first year, so I'm still feeling my way around. DH is big on structured learning (he's very worried about leaving gaps in knowledge), and he really would like us to buy a curriculum. We're considering the 5-7 age group of Moving Beyond the Page. I'd like to add in the Building Foundations for Science book, though we may not do it until later in the year.

I'm doing the math curriculum myself because DS is most advanced in math. He's mostly around a 2nd grade level according to the assessments we've done, though somehow he's missed learning to tell time on analog clocks. So we're going to be playing it by ear and working through math.

I also want to teach what essentially is a technology course. He uses our computers, but we will be putting a family computer in the living room. I'd like to go a bit more in-depth with what he knows. Still he's 5 so basic info - how to use a search engine, basic parts of the computer. DH is a software developer, and DS keeps saying he wants to learn to "make programs like Daddy."

I've also ordered Spinning Tales, Weaving Hope, which I'm hoping will serve as the basis for ethics since we're secular homeschoolers and having a difficult time finding appropriate moral curricula.

It's us: DH , DS ; DD ; and me . Also there's the . And the 3 . I . Oh, and .
#20 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 01:50 PM

I've already planned and bought everything!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#21 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 02:49 PM

aha!! jessica! i was trying to think of which MDC mama made the grammar-land sheets. you're the one! craft_media_hero, go to jessica's blog under grammar if interested. they're excellent!

btw - what are you planning to use jessica? love it if you'd share!

#22 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 03:15 PM

I'm doing good to get through this year. I think our 15 yr old will be going to early college at a local comm college. I'm not sure about our 8 yr old just yet. Still trying to decide whether she will stay home another year or go to private school.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#23 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 03:45 PM

We're planning! We'll be back to full-time homeschooling next fall.
This year, dd is doing half-time at a local charter school, taking some high school classes. So since almost all her classes next year will be high school level, I'm doing some serious thinking.

I love planning though! It's going to be great.
#24 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
aha!! jessica! i was trying to think of which MDC mama made the grammar-land sheets. you're the one! craft_media_hero, go to jessica's blog under grammar if interested. they're excellent!

btw - what are you planning to use jessica? love it if you'd share!
I only have the Grammar Land worksheets done to chapter 5 or 6, though. I need to get back to working on them, but I've been so busy with other things that the worksheets and blogging, etc, have all been put on the back burner. I'm so glad that people are finding them useful.

I would be happy to share what we're using next year. Nik will be doing 1st/2nd grade studies. In addition to a lot of living books we will be using:

Math: Math Mammoth, MEP, and Living Math!
Language Arts: Explode the Code, All About Spelling, Classical Writing Primer
Science: R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey: Earth & Space
History/Geography: SOTW Volume 2 and Activity Book
Foreign Languages: continuing with Rosetta Stone French Level 1, and possibly beginning Latin using ?
Art: picture study
Music: composer study, A Child's Introduction to the Orchestra
Nature Study (when we get to it...this is the one area we drop when we get busy) using Outdoor Hour Challenges

We'll also be following some Ambleside Online suggestions: finishing up the second half of Milo Winter's version of The Aesop For Children, folk songs using Wee Sing, The Burgess Animal Book for Children, reading Pagoo and studying our very own hermit crabs, AO year 2 poetry suggestions, Shakespeare, Among the Forest People (in place of Parables from Nature), Robin Hood, and some of the free reading selections

It sounds like a lot, but we don't do it every subject each day.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#25 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionaryMom View Post

We're considering the 5-7 age group of Moving Beyond the Page.

If your ds is 5 and very bright, you may want to consider the next level up. We are currently going through the 5-7 Environment Concept and I ended up making it more meaty for my dd who is younger.

Just a thought for you, I don't believe MBTP age assessments are accurate.

We are starting a K in September. In addition to the Bible, I am a 3R kind of girl plus what dd is interested/excels in - math, science and art (well, she doesn't excel in art, but loves doing projects!).

Bible- CLE Bible 1

Math -I am almost set on math with Singapore 1a/1b and either Horizons or A beka for a supplement. I'm leaning towards A beka because I bought A beka Arithmetic 1 to preview and I like it. I think dd will like the cartoons, poems and such!

Science: Rod & Staff: Patterns of Nature

LA: Not set on LA yet. I'm trying to decide what read alouds to get and the best approach to phonics/reading. I'm thinking about getting the Sonlight Readers 1 and just dropping the one or two books in the pack that I don't care for (I think there's a Greek Mythology one, for example).

Art/Music: listening to various music/worship and art projects (no curriculum or anything)

I don't have anything official for handwriting either.

Our curriculum is a bit more workbook based. DD is a major workbook guru whose record is 9 pages in one workbook then 16 pages in another in ONE sitting! I was the one who ended it too!!
#26 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 04:08 PM

I'm thinking and thinking and searching but not really planning.

This year we're doing My Father's World plus Singapore Math and Abeka Language. My 6 and 8 year old dd's work together on all the MFW stuff. With a new baby coming at the end of Sept. I'm thinking of switching to a more workbook oriented curriculum. My 8 year old is advanced and a very independent learner. She would THRIVE and love being able to do all her workbooks in a neat little row. (I would be supervising and checking still, don't get me wrong) My 6 year old is a bit of a slower learner and would really benefit from having more one-on-one time with me.

I love MFW. I love the flowy, Mason-style learning. But I'm not sure it's the best learning style for my kids. So for alternatives, I'm looking at Rod and Staff or Abeka for history and science. We'll still with Singapore for math and probably Abeka for language. I think. Ugh. Why is this so HARD?!

Jackie, wife to the Hubster, homeschooling mom to 4 girls: Lala (9) , Lissie (7) and Lauren (3) and our newest arrival Addie Jane born 10-1-10!
#27 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Ahhh, this is my most favorite kind of MDC thread there is. Ones with lots of links to curriculum & homeschool ideas!! I do so adore getting sucked in to reading about everybody's curriculum choices & getting all inspired. Even though I should actually be homeschooling my own children right now.

I love it! Keep posting more curriculum choices for me to slobber over!!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#28 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
Ahhh, this is my most favorite kind of MDC thread there is. Ones with lots of links to curriculum & homeschool ideas!! I do so adore getting sucked in to reading about everybody's curriculum choices & getting all inspired. Even though I should actually be homeschooling my own children right now.

I love it! Keep posting more curriculum choices for me to slobber over!!
Lol, me too! Though Monday is our "free learning" day coz I'm usually busy getting ready for the art class I teach at night (not this week, tho! I'm prepared!). So she does "living math" just playing with manipulatives, and then basically whatever else she wants that is educational. She's done free reading, drawing from a posed wooden figure, fraction manips, and now piano. Nuff for me! We may do "shower school Greek" that's bathtub crayon letter review, lol.

I will definitely check out that grammar land link! Jessica, I was thinking about ordering the "primer" of Classical Writing, too. I may order it and go snail pace, like stretch the three books over 2 yrs and then get the "older beginner" for the higher levels because by then I think we will be ready to go faster. We will do our own copywork, tho. My kid is at like a one-sentence limit for writing, and the passages in the Primer level are actually pretty long. I would love it if she was ready to switch to the "fable" level here by 4th grade (that's their suggested grade for the fable level); some beefy composition skills going on there!

So I guess I'm planning to go pretty classical next year, with lots of other methods peppered in. Eclectic to the core! Bring on the multiple curriculum resources

#29 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 07:31 PM

I'm planning. Well, at least I'm planning for the summer

My kids are going to be HSing again next year after 2 years at a charter school. My kids are 10, 9, 8 and 6

In the past we did Singapore Math, so I think we'll give that a try again. It worked well for us before, although we only used the workbooks and not the textbooks last time around. It's so cheap that I'm not concerned if it doesn't work out. My only concern about math right now is that my 10yo and 8yo are at similar achievement levels, and my 9yo is struggling. I don't want the 9yo to feel left behind if his little sister is a few levels ahead of him, kwim?

As for formal language arts, we're going to be doing more of a Charlotte Mason style program. Copywork, occasional dictation for the older kids, and lots of narration. I may do ETC with my 6yo, who is still in the decoding stage of learning to read. Most of the literature will be related to our history studies.

For history, we'll be studying US history. My plan is to have a history spine (still trying to decide which one), and pick out appropriate living books related to our history studies for each of my kids to read. I'll read DD6's books to her, and there will be one or two books that I will have as read-alouds for all of the kids. I'll be using Ambleside Online and SL booklists as a jumping off point for choosing literature.

I'm still trying to figure out science for the fall. I'd like some sort of formal program that ALL of my kids ages 6-10 can use, but they're at such different academic levels, that may not be a realistic goal. All I know is that if I try to cobble something together, I'll probably just let it go by the wayside when I lose motivation. For the summer, we'll be doing informal nature studies.

I am also planning to incoporate CM style artist and composer studies, probably finding th AO schedule, just to make it easier on myself

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#30 of 75 Old 02-15-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Wow, so many great ideas and thoughts on this thread so far!
Also, I plan on purchasing "The Latin Centered Education" and really picking through that for inspiration.
That sounds interesting...
I'd also like to learn more about the Thomas Jefferson Ed method.
I really like their ideas and principles. I'm going to the forum this weekend.
www.swtjedforum.info
I haven't given much thought to next yr yet, mostly because we don't do a lot of curriculum-based programs. I have Explode the Code and we like Safety Kids and do a lot of classical lit and historical-based reading (fiction and non). I mostly just follow my kids' interests and try to inspire by example how fun learning can be!
I do buy things to supplement, like books, games, a pass to the science center, and netflix subscription.
I think if I did do a curriculum it would be Sonlight, with a Christian perspective science program.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page