Mothering Forum banner

Moving back to San Diego - good for homeschooling?

512 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Lillian J 
#1 ·
We lived there when we first got married, before kids, so I know life will be different for us this time. This is my husband's last tour in the military before he retires at 20. We're in Hawaii right now and just found out we'll be moving to SD sometime in July most likely.

Please spam me with all kinds of good homeschooling information so I can start researching and learning all that it has to offer.

We have to figure out where we're going to live. Last time we owned a house in Scripps Ranch but the market has exploded a lot since then, so not sure if we'll be renting or buying. Would love recommendations on areas you like. DH will be working out of Miramar.

#2 ·
We're in North County (just moved within the last year) and so far it seems pretty homeschool-friendly. We did find a weekly homeschool group that encompasses all styles, and there are lots of classes/educational activities available.

#4 ·
There's definitely a huge HSing community. I'm more familiar with the north county scene but if you search around (maybe yahoo groups?) you'll find info. I know they meet likely weekly at parks, not sure what their name is. There's a big group in Vista/Carlsbad and a new one in Encinitas, I know. Try the tribal area forums, too. And if you get to SD and are still looking, I've found plenty of HSers just at AP playgroups and LLL meetings

The market has tanked in some areas, making homes very affordable (well, compared to before) depending on the exact area. But yeah, still pricey overall. I think that's why Vista is so big with HSers, b/c you don't have to worry about the schools so it's cheaper, still beautiful, and close to plenty of good stuff. Us, we're just down the hill from a "great" Encinitas school but we're pretty set on HSing. It's a great place to do it, it seems. We see HSers at the library most days, for example.

#5 ·
That's so good to hear. The hardest thing is I don't want DH to have such a horrendous commute. I know last time we lived there and he was at Miramar, we had friends who had really bad commutes because of the traffic and it was hard on the family.

#6 ·
Here's a statewide group that has contact information for member volunteers, county contacts, you can call to find out about the area, and it also has a huge member email list: HSC, HomeSchool Association of California. Here's a guide to CA field trip opportunities that's divided into general, outdoors, and subject. I put it together for that group when I was their website coordinator, but they eventually gave it back to me because of the volunteer time needed for updates. San Diego should be a wonderful place for homeschooling - I hope you're able to find a good location that cuts the commute time.
Lillian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.