private school to homeschool in a day... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-20-2010, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am pulling my 1st grade son out of private school on Monday to begin homeschooling him. It is a long story but this is the best option for him. This will be a big change and I am taking the leap without any preparation but I have confidence this is best.

His school has been using the A Beka curriculum and I would like to continue it at home. I will have all his textbooks and am interested in how best to go about teaching him. WOuld you recommend I buy the teacher books?
What do you think of the video streaming or dvd option? I wondered if that will coincide with his current school books and lessons. Does anyone know if it possible to just pay a fee for the video streaming he needs and the teacher kit? It is pricey and it will only be until May.

Any other suggestions you have to make this a smooth transition will be appreciated. Thanks!

nicole, wife & very blessed mom of 2 fun boys '03 & '05 & sweet girl '10. 2ndtri.gifDue 1-6-13 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#2 of 5 Old 02-20-2010, 03:10 PM

A lot of parents go a little overboard at first as far as curriculum goes. I've never used Abeka, but if having more support makes you more comfortable about your ability to homeschool, go for it. You don't have to keep it up, and a lot of things can be resold later. At any rate, it's gotta be cheaper than private school!!
A lot of folks really recommend "de-schooling" for a little bit. FOcus on his interests, museum trips, crafts and the like for a little while. Especially if he was under a lot of stress in school, it gives you both a chance to regroup!

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#3 of 5 Old 02-20-2010, 03:53 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
I second what mntnmom says. A smooth transition doesn't mean continuing the same sort of routine and curriculum as at school. It doesn't mean quickly and seamlessly establishing a routine for school at home. A smooth transition means taking time to revel in the freedom and flexibility of homeschooling, so that you and your ds really come to appreciate the differences between it and school. Because really, that's what will ignite your passions and get you creatively inventing learning approach that will work even without the support and structure of an institution. Go to the pool, or go out for ice cream or hot chocolate. Spend a day hiking and photographing along a nature trail. Check out a Children's Museum or Science Discovery Centre. Bake muffins an visit an elderly friend. Try out some funky science experiments. Start growing a garden. Have a home movie marathon.

I don't have any experience with Abeka, so I can't help with specifics. I will say that my curriculum-buying principle is to never buy anything until it's clear that it will fill an consistently identified need. And that principle has never steered me wrong. I'd suggest not buying things "in case you might need them," especially not this early in the game.

Welcome to the adventure. Have fun!

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 5 Old 02-20-2010, 04:16 PM

Welcome to homeschooling.

I wouldn't buy curriculum right away. You can get interesting and educational books/projects, etc.

And attend educational events.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#5 of 5 Old 02-20-2010, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
People do tend to go overboard in the begining. Then they taper off and tailor homeschooling to fit themselves better (or they give up). You will likely do fine without the teachers manuals, but if you want them, go ahead and order them. I would only order the DVDs if you do not want to, or just don't have the time to, do the teaching. That is fine if things are that way. I am using DVDs for some subjects for my highschoolers.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page