Anyone remember Sullivan Programmed Reading Workbooks? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-01-2010, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, hope you don't mind me popping in as an infrequent visitor here. I thought someone here might know something about these books that I'm looking for.

When I was in preschool and kindergarten in the early 1970s, I learned to read with what I believe we called "Sullivan Workbooks." They featured characters named Sam and Ann, their dog Nip and cat Tab. One of the workbooks is shown in this video and seems to somehow be a part of some Montessori program somewhere. But for all I know, the video might be 25 years old. It gives no information on where these old books might be available.

There is also a series of readers with titles like "Pins and Pans" and "Jars and Jars of Jam." But what I remember most are the workbooks.

Now that I have preschoolers of my own, I would love to get my hands on some of these books, even if they're used. Partly for nostalgia's sake, but partly because I feel like they worked pretty well for me and I might as well try them out with my own kids!

Surely I'm not the only one that learned to read with these...
#2 of 19 Old 03-01-2010, 08:46 PM

I wish I could find these, too!

They are still in print, and are published by Phoenix Learning Resources. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way to identify the right level of workbook for my daughter and buy just one so I could see if it would work for her.

Phoenix Learning Resources

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#3 of 19 Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, that's so great! Unfortunately I can't get the site to load, but I gather they sell them all as one big set? What is the price?

(Incidentally I'm not so far from you---Rockville area. )
#4 of 19 Old 03-01-2010, 10:02 PM

Well, hello neighbor! One of my closest friends lives in Rockville.

No, you can buy them individually, but there's nothing to help you figure out where to start. I'm sure that's not so much of a problem if you want to start at the beginning.

I remember when I looked at this a couple of months ago, it was helpful to download the print catalog, instead of just looking at the web site.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#5 of 19 Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, well since we're just starting out with reading, I went ahead and ordered the primer and Book 1. I'll let you know what they look like when they show up. Thanks so much for the lead!
#6 of 19 Old 08-28-2010, 03:40 PM

I remember the series quite well as I am a product of it. The Roundabouts, Sam, Ann, Walter...and the later volumes covered Greek mythology. Very good series and I am always on the lookout for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilliepepper View Post
Hi all, hope you don't mind me popping in as an infrequent visitor here. I thought someone here might know something about these books that I'm looking for.

When I was in preschool and kindergarten in the early 1970s, I learned to read with what I believe we called "Sullivan Workbooks." They featured characters named Sam and Ann, their dog Nip and cat Tab. One of the workbooks is shown in this video and seems to somehow be a part of some Montessori program somewhere. But for all I know, the video might be 25 years old. It gives no information on where these old books might be available.

There is also a series of readers with titles like "Pins and Pans" and "Jars and Jars of Jam." But what I remember most are the workbooks.

Now that I have preschoolers of my own, I would love to get my hands on some of these books, even if they're used. Partly for nostalgia's sake, but partly because I feel like they worked pretty well for me and I might as well try them out with my own kids!

Surely I'm not the only one that learned to read with these...
#7 of 19 Old 09-10-2011, 08:28 PM

The Sullivan Programmed Readers are now sold by Phoenix Learning Resources 1-800-221-1274. They can be purchase one programmed reader at a time for approximately $16 plus shipping. I order individual copies for my classroom. Books Primer to 7 are first grade level readers. 8 to 11 are second grade, 12 to 15 are 3rd grade, 16 to 19 are 4th grade, and  20 to 23 are 5th to  6th grade level. 

#8 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 09:31 AM

The first seven books correspond to First Grade, books 8-14 correspond to second grade, and books 15-21 correspond to third grade level.

#9 of 19 Old 12-02-2011, 05:50 PM

Subbing because "first grade" doesn't tell me much about what phonics skills are covered (my daughter is only 4 and has lots of phonics under her belt already) in which book.  They look like something she'd enjoy though, so I'm waiting for that report on Primer and 1.  :)

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact
#10 of 19 Old 12-03-2011, 02:10 PM

There exists (or used to) a set of requirements for starting Book 1.   It involves some letter sounds, the idea of reading from left to right, and a few other basics.   Perhaps these are covered by the Primer, which wasn't available when I started my preschoolers on it.  At age 3, they just loved both the colorful cartoons and the sense of accomplishment.   I was careful not to push for too many pages each day -- consistency was the key.    There also used to be a list of new words for each book -- if your child has some phonics and/or knows some words, this will help you find the right level.

#11 of 19 Old 01-17-2012, 03:17 PM

Hello! Phoenix Learning Resources sells Sullivan's Programmed Reading frames.I just contacted them to purchase the series. My son's doctor recommended the program to me. He said his 3 children used the program successfully.There is a placement exam for programmed reading to determine which level to start the child. The company recommends to start the child in the book which is one number lower. You may contact them at www.phoenixlr.com 800 228-9345. Customer service (570) 251-6871. In NYC (516) 485-0592 (914) 591-7467.

Each book costs $13.15. There is a 25% discount if books are bought by series. (Series 1 Books 1 -7), (Series II Books 8-15), (Series III Books 16-23).

Hope this helps. I'll post again when I get the series for update. Thanks.

#12 of 19 Old 01-25-2012, 02:07 PM

I remember them! They helped me so much...I would love to get them for my daughter....

#13 of 19 Old 03-16-2012, 11:41 AM

I used Sullivan very successfully...our primary kids were successful because Sullivan keeps one sound-one symbol through first and second grade. "Dick and Jane," for example, has 27 sounds in the first three pages and several sounds for the "a" as well as "c" and "o."  Kids start by getting the sounds wrong. In Sullivan, "a" says "mat" for several books.

Don't be concerned at the varied shapes for some letters when the new sounds are introduced. They carefully distinguish between "b" and "d" because of common symbol reversal in young readers. My opinion as a teacher with experience from primary through grad university level...the books are a wonderful, successful start for young eager kids. YEAH they are still available!

There is a diagnostic test to place primary kids, your child may score lower than you think, but go with it. If the placement is low, it may be because the child is not used to being exact or not as focused as s/he may need to be. The adult helping must not allow the child to slid! The idea is to learn each level fully and not to fail in the "test" to advance. It's OK to go back if the child is making mistakes. Help you child figure out what their mistake is, then they will "pass" to the next level. Building in a play reward when a book is finished also work well. Speed is the enemy.

I also used the primary level readers to advance 6th graders reading at primary level. Many increased reading levels on standardized tests up to three years in one. Unheard of advancement at the time. One chid said," I tested at book 8. My little sister reads in book 12." I asked, "Does your sister read better than you do?"...well yes..."Then lets fix that!!"

#14 of 19 Old 09-20-2012, 10:24 AM

Well, I taught the Sullivan Programmed reading series for two years in the early 1970's in Chicago's Public schools.

I was a certified Sullivan Programmed Reading instructor, trained by McGraw-Hill.

There were 21 "books" and they out to be out in some electronic or computer format by now.

There was a "placement test" so the individual student could begin where they needed to on the continuum.

Each book had a list of mastery word.   Usually, the test would allow placement below the leading edge of that student's skill

level so they would not experience frustration and failure, but would re-enforce success.

Today, I think the original "sliders" to reveal the answer to each question immediately to the reader would be not very well

accepted.  That is why I think an electronic version is needed.  If you want me to help you try to find one, let me know.

I taught at Anthony Overton Elementary School and the now defunct, Henry Horner Elementary School using the Sullivan

program.  It was derived from word lists formed in the early 1940's to each soldiers enough reading skills to be able to

communicate in the battle field.  Both programs worked very well.  My students did and average of two year of progress in

one school year.

Good luck!

#15 of 19 Old 11-06-2012, 03:30 PM

Hi folks - I have my 1960's books I am looking to sell.  They were boxed up for years.  Actually I think I enjoy looking through them now better than when I was a kid.

Here's the info.

A Sullivan Associations Program 1963
by Cynthia Dee Buchanan

Programmed Primer
Programmed Reading Book 1,6,7,8,9,14

All in excellent condition. The Primer is about 80% used, the others are unused.

Call Ken 732-804-6146

or email me at surfer_pup1@yahoo.com

#16 of 19 Old 01-10-2013, 09:07 PM

Hi,

It was such a pleasure to see that so many of you are as thrilled with Sullivan as I have been. I have hung on to much of what I have used over the years. I am a teacher with a Masters in Special Education and  very close to retirement. I am a teacher  who truly loves Sullivan.  I feel that the Sullivan series, as well as, SRA materials have really been a real boon to so many of the hundreds of students that I have worked with in the past 30 some years. For some of my students with a fear of the written word, Sullivan and SRA, mixed with other materials, saved their lives.  If these are not still available, it is a shame.

I am in the process of reducing the materials that I own and have stuffed in boxes in my garage.  I have the workbooks (programmed reading type) the readers, and some supplemental  readers in paper back. I have used a combination of Sullivan, SRA, Montery Reading, and Dolch materials for many years with children and adults who have reading problems of one type or another.  I saw that someone had written to this tread that Phoenix sells Sullivan, or at least their version of those material and that could be. If that if so that would be great. I have started posting many of my overage of old school materials to sell on Amazon or will sell directly to anyone wishing to use these materials with their own child.  ( I also have some of the Sullivan math materials as well as Montery math. That is another lock step math program that does not pressure the student to move ahead of where they are until ready. What I have in Sullivan reading is mainly from the 1963 series, with sprinkles of others. You can get people over the hump with any of the above.

If you are interested in a list of what I do have to sell, I can be reached via email at pcshadden1@yahoo.com.  My materials are both new and used.  The workbooks are all unmarked and have never been used, but the readers have been read previously, but most are in good to very good condition.  

#17 of 19 Old 02-15-2013, 04:27 PM

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I wanted to comment on it. I used these books when I was in 1sy & 2nd grade. They were awesome. They were called Sullivan Associates Programmed Reading (which was apparently later picked up by Phoenix Learning Resources with completely different covers), with main characters named Ann, Sam, Ted, a dog named Tip and a cat named Tab. The main worbooks were paperback about 8X11 side, with a small series of hardback books at about 6x8. But what a lot of people do not remember is that there was also a series of films which were shown in the classrooms, as well as a very large "book" which was set on an easle and the pages were turned by flipping the jumbo pages up over the top like you would with a pad of art paper. This jumbo "book" told a story in which Ann, Sam & Ted are sent on an adventure by a pencil with glasses and legs (a creature very much like this can be seen in Disney's ALICE IN WONDERLAND 'tolgey wood' scene).

Here's some photos.....

[IMG]http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q735/bellamycay/KGrHqFicFDLrhIitNBQ-Kvfsw60_57_zpsa1cf3635.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q735/bellamycay/KGrHqFisFC7Ry7gLgBQ-K-dRK60_57_zps94514dd7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q735/bellamycay/KGrHqFosFKBHF4ieBQGZU0PMW60_1_zps4bcc27cb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q735/bellamycay/KGrHqRhoFC8Tys6G2BQ-LegbE60_57_zps12a58fcd.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q735/bellamycay/KGrHqRhoFC8Tys6G2BQ-LegbE60_571_zps81e652bc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q735/bellamycay/KGrHqZn4FCo65Yb6YBQ-LOYUQ60_57_zps780a89b5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q735/bellamycay/KGrHqZrEoZLDp5fBQGZU0WvDw60_1_zpsee38d497.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q735/bellamycay/T2eC16dzcE9s4g3hpqBQGZUy8Zew60_1_zpse42038b8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q735/bellamycay/T2eC16FysE9sy0gCWPBQ-KjJIow60_57_zpse452acc0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q735/bellamycay/T2eC16NzEE9s3Wpb9BQ-KTCoEg60_57_zps72b1c5ca.jpg[/IMG]

#18 of 19 Old 02-12-2014, 02:44 PM

Hi, I'm wondering if this is the same books that I'm looking for. I remember Sam and Ann, Was Walter the boy called Bumbles? The characters followed string into another kingdom to solve the riddle. I also remember reading the book & then having to turn the book over to continue reading.

#19 of 19 Old 02-13-2014, 05:49 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page