History Odyssey, Story of the World or both? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: History Odyssey, Story of the World or both?
History Odyssey 2 28.57%
Story of the World 2 28.57%
Both 2 28.57%
Neither 0 0%
Other 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,
I am having a difficult time deciding if I should get the History Odyssey curriculum, the Story of the World activity book or both. For those of you familiar with the programs would there be any benefit to getting them both? Would it give me more activities to choose from or are they too similar? Anyone care to share what they like and/or don't like about either of these programs?
#2 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 05:52 PM

we are using SOTW now and have been since Jan 08.. I really like the program but find that it hops around WAY too much. We have started using History Odyssey and use their timeline for what to study and supplement with the appropriate SOTW chapters.. I'm really liking how the two come together..
#3 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Well, I didn't know how to vote because I haven't actually seen the HO curriculum. We've used SOTW w/the activity book for a few yrs now & I love it. I plan to use it for my younger homeschoolers eventually as well. But my plan is to move my 6th grade son on into HO next, after we finish the last volume of SOTW (which we're on now). So, my own plan is to use both, but not at the same time.

ETA: If there was a voting option titled "umm, er, uhhhhhh... dur I'm not sure" that's the one I'd vote for.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#4 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 08:11 PM

I don't think I'd try to do all the HO activites as well as the SOTW activity book, You'd be doing history constantly lol. I like the way HO is laid out, so we've been using that for the last year, and will continue to.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#5 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
I don't think I'd try to do all the HO activites as well as the SOTW activity book, You'd be doing history constantly lol. I like the way HO is laid out, so we've been using that for the last year, and will continue to.
To clarify - IF I do purchase both I have no intention of doing all HO and SOTW, it would be to have an expanded choice of activities to do.

How is HO laid out differently than SOTW?

*I wish there was a local store I could go to so I could look at them side by side!*
#6 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 10:12 PM

We are doing both, but following the SOTW order.

I posted the entire HO chapter list on one of these threads a few days ago. That might help visualize it. HO uses SOTW text as one of its spines.

And here's my quite detailed SOTW lessons:
http://satorismiles.com/curriculum/s...f-the-world-1/

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#7 of 9 Old 03-08-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSJ View Post
To clarify - IF I do purchase both I have no intention of doing all HO and SOTW, it would be to have an expanded choice of activities to do.

How is HO laid out differently than SOTW?

*I wish there was a local store I could go to so I could look at them side by side!*
If you go to pandiapress.com you can see almost half of history odyssey in their 'try before you buy' page Which will give you an idea of how THAT one is laid out. Not sure if there is a preview of the sotw activity book online anywhere though I've never seen the latter so have no idea how it's set out.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#8 of 9 Old 03-09-2010, 12:04 AM

I'm not a big fan of either. I have used both - I appreciate that H.O. is in chronological order; it just works better for my brain. That said, though, I do not like how because it is in chronological order, you jump all over in SOTW chapters. The way SOTW was written, one chapter might begin something like, "Remember back when we read about "x"?" If you are using H.O., then you may end up reading some chapters in SOTW that reference back to a previous chapter not yet covered in H.O. I appreciate the narrative feel of SOTW and feel that with H.O., you lose some of the flow of SOTW. But I think the quality of the maps is far superior with H.O., and not being very crafty myself, do not get much out of the SOTW Activity Guide (nor do we do tests, though the narration questions/prompts can be useful).

That said, I have decided to simplify history. For the most part, we are just reading - we are actually using A Child's History of the World and SOTW, reading the chapters as we get to them, and then using the timeline from Tanglewood Education to glue images and/or narrate anything major in that week's reading.

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#9 of 9 Old 03-09-2010, 12:55 AM

I just came back to post the URL samples of both these program. Someone beat me to the HO, so here's the PDF sample to SOTW:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store...w1absample.pdf

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page