Pagan Homeschoolers: Curriculum Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 151 Old 03-12-2010, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When my son was younger we took classes that were taught by a "fairy". She was great at incorporating all things about nature into a preschool environment. I think I loved the classes as much as my son did. Now we do a basic online curriculum that does not have any religious content to it. We talk about the sabbats as they come up. We also go to Spiral Scouts where there is a lot more discussion of the sabbats. The group leader is really good about explaining things to little ones. (Our group has a lot of 3 and 4 year olds in it.) My son also gets a lot of exposure to a variety of religions in every day life. I am Wiccan. My husband practices an earth based Native American type spirituality. My inlaws are Catholic. And my SIL and her family are Jewish. It makes for interesting family get togethers.

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 151 Old 03-13-2010, 12:59 AM

secular / non pagan / preschool : I LOVE littleacornlearning.com ! fantastic! non religion based but totally based on the cycle of the year. I also love waldorf for the teaching of many world religions through their myths and stories.

religion in homeschooling for me I want something to help replace what we have lost by non longer growing up in family communities. before there was no need to Teach religion unless you were going to become a priest/ess because it was just the way it was. You just did it with your community.. like christmas... no one really needs to be taught about christmas because it's just part of life. I'm starting a spiral scouts group in my area that I home will do some of this as well as provide a sort of homeschool co-op .

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#33 of 151 Old 03-13-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post
So, a pagan curriculum that was boxed together, would be beneficial. FOr the purpose of this discussion, I don't think it would be feasible to do a "boxed" curriculum but we could compile all of the elements that could become a boxed curriculum.

Is this making sense? Honestly, I can't do anything today without being interrupted.
subbing!
For me, I love this idea. While I'm not Pagan, a lot of the beliefs and practices sort of line up with our own beliefs, plus I do choose my curric in bits and pieces. Being able to sort of look at a complied list of resources-- like a sort of do-it-yourself-boxed-curriculum-- would be really helpful!

And I really like the idea of sharing some of the hand-made things like the Wheel of Year calender! I am very interested in that and love the idea of the kids creating it themselves.

ETA: Also, wow. I just looked up Spiral Scouts and am very interested! And it looks like there might be some active groups a little closer to Chicago. Very cool.

nature and art loving homeschooling mom to a half-dozen little treasures.
#34 of 151 Old 03-13-2010, 04:17 PM

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#35 of 151 Old 03-13-2010, 05:00 PM

love this thread I do like the idea of calling it more earth based or wheel of the year curriculm

subbing

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#36 of 151 Old 03-13-2010, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Keep sharing ideas and conversing- I will be away for a day or so- but will be back soon.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#37 of 151 Old 03-13-2010, 06:38 PM

subbing!

We will be using a blend of Calvert and Global Village School with dd1 this year (5yo, 1st grade). Calvert for the state standards and Global Village for the earth/justice aspect. I've got gobs of notes and folders filled with the basics of a pagan friendly literature based pK-5 currric. But with three mini munchkins I want (ok, need) a more formal "school in a box" this year otherwise I will lose focus! But getting my curric shiny and on the market is a goal that will be going on my treasure map this year.

In terms of language, the Global Village blurb uses
Quote:
emphasis on peace, justice, diversity and sustainability

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#38 of 151 Old 03-13-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
So what is the goal of a pagan curriculum?
For me, the goal is... hmmm.... there was a recent discussion about how christian terminology and world view is assumed to be the norm. Regardless of a person's individual affiliation, it is assumed that certain phrases/gestures/dates will be understood in a specific manner. Speaking as an anthropologist, that sort of shared cultural history is totally normal. But I'd like to put together a curriculum that doesn't necessarily support this assumption. Not a curriculum teaches a child to "be a good pagan" (whatever that might be), but a curriculum that approaches subjects from a more open perspective in which the primacy of humanity, the maleness of the divine, the reification of gender/hierarchy, the whole "manifest destiny", etc is not assumed.

Right now I have a half dozen curric program brochures sitting on my table. And I spent the past month trying to find the right fit for our family from existing options. What stood out was the strong "christian" flavor of even the more "secular" options. Bible quotes next to math problems, devotions built into schedules, literature based programs that explain why non-christian books are "still relevant" to a christian student. Of course a parent can simply skip the devotions, leave the prayer cd in the box, ignore the bible verse in the math book, and add books that feature non-christian characters. But if you have to do all that, what's the point in getting the curric to begin with? And what about the assumptions built into these programs? A science text can be completely "secular" and still written from the assumption that human needs are primary... that the point of conservation is to maintain resources for humanity's future needs (you know, the ads that say "don't chop down the rain forests! there could be a cure for cancer in there!" instead of "don't chop down the rain forest. the trees belong to themselves, not to you.")

Tangent--anyone read the short story The Forest is Crying (by Charles deLint )? One character (a burned out social worker) says he can't care about nature/conservation since there are so many suffering children and trees don't cry... and the other character (once a child saved by this social worker) replies that maybe he just can't hear them?
Quote:
"There's a big difference between some trees getting cut down and a kid dying." /skip/ "from our persective, sure, but maybe not from a global view. We have to remember that everything's connected. The real world's not something that can be dividied into convenient little compartments, like we'll label this, 'the child abuse problem,' this'll go under 'depletion of the ozone layer.'"
.- I'm a big fan of de Lint, and his worldview has had a real influence on me... I totally recommend his writing to people of all paths, but pagans I think may find some interesting/thought provoking/challenging ideas.--

Sorry, I'm rambling. I'm making dinner and the kiddos are going nuts while I bounce between stove/computer/play mat. Hopefully this made some sense since I don't have time to edit for clarity! More later....

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#39 of 151 Old 03-13-2010, 10:42 PM

i would love a boxed curriculum that was earth based. I have really liked waldorf for this live ed / christopherus / oak meadow it has its christan bits which are also part of our shared cultural norm but also dives into egypt / greek / ireland / etc etc and is very seasonal based.

what i don't want is a pagan curriculum that is just normal with seemenly random 'pagan' bits thrown in YKWIM? like why are the bible quotes next to the math problem? how does that relate? Why just throw in random detached pagan-y things in?

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

#40 of 151 Old 03-14-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

As I sat at our UU church, I kept going back to how to do this, how to make a pagan homeschool curriculum that meets the needs of the child and parent- how to incorporate earth based traditions with being authentic and meaningful for the child.

I didn't get a clear answer.

It is far easier for me to put together an infant toddler curriculum because it is more open ended.

I like the idea of having one place to go to to gather ideas, find curicculum, materials etc. It would be so helpful for me to have a website dedicated to pagan homeschoolers....

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#41 of 151 Old 03-14-2010, 05:54 PM

i am in the middle of working on a "pixie path" curriculum. (i say pixie path, but it's really a exploration of elemental and seasonal energies)

it's modeled after the path work we did with the little ones at the vermont reclaiming witchcamp several years ago. i came home and was inspired to do it with my kids. so, i have all my notes and outlines and everything and i just need to put it all together. (easier said than done!) i will likely sell it as a download.. an ebook on a website.

i don't know if this is what some of you are looking for or not, but it will at least all be in one place, KWIM?

we are unschoolers, so i don't know how it will translate into to the three Rs, but i'm sure some of you more creative mamas won't have any troubling doing that.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#42 of 151 Old 03-14-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umami_mommy View Post
i am in the middle of working on a "pixie path" curriculum. (i say pixie path, but it's really a exploration of elemental and seasonal energies)

it's modeled after the path work we did with the little ones at the vermont reclaiming witchcamp several years ago. i came home and was inspired to do it with my kids. so, i have all my notes and outlines and everything and i just need to put it all together. (easier said than done!) i will likely sell it as a download.. an ebook on a website.

i don't know if this is what some of you are looking for or not, but it will at least all be in one place, KWIM?

we are unschoolers, so i don't know how it will translate into to the three Rs, but i'm sure some of you more creative mamas won't have any troubling doing that.
That sounds cool! I would buy that.
#43 of 151 Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 PM

hi - I'm new to all of this - only been "actively" schooling for a few months. really, we are unschoolers, but there is an underlying fear of not teaching enough, so we're including workbooks for reading, math, history & math - even though, I'm not actually following any curriculum or routine.

Anyway, this thread inspired me - and we made this today!
http://philhyde.smugmug.com/Family/C...10345378_kFxXC

thanks to Aubergine for the original idea! I've always wanted to incorporate more nature into our learning journey, and we've struggled with the concept of time in general. I think this will be helpful ... I decided it looked too boring, though, so we used the opportunity to work on the Color Wheel, as well.

A friend suggested a weather chart idea that we might use: color a leaf every day to represent the weather. I need to mull that one over to see what makes the most sense with two very competitive daughters, though.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#44 of 151 Old 03-15-2010, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I am so happy to see that two women have been working on a pagan curriculum.

Given the above, i am happy to let these women develop the curriculum and use this thread as a resource for parents.

What does everyone think about that?

I will continue to work on an earth centered approach to infants and toddlers though, cause it is something I am feeling compelled to do.

#45 of 151 Old 03-15-2010, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your plan is fine by me on all counts, Aeress I think this thread is really needed as a resource here, and who knows what wonderful places the conversation will go in the future?

So, do you want to go ahead with a website for the infant/toddler earth-centered curriculum or keep on developing it in this thread?

One thing that is really important to me in that regard is to have a plan that can be developed and adapted according to the weather and seasons where I am. I have a shelf full of preschool curriculum made in the continental US that goes by weekly themes. Things like autumn leaf time and harvest are weeks earlier here and planting seeds in spring comes weeks later in this cold northern climate and there are amazing things like northern lights that aren't spoken of at all in the books I have.

And then there you are Cari, having to flip the Wheel entirely and adapt so much more to the standard American seasonal pattern!

jrabbit, your Wheel is lovely! Please share how you use it as it goes. The adding-leaves-every-day idea is intriguing. Love the color wheel addition: I think it really fits. And did you paint it? How did you get the lovely colors?

Enjoyed seeing your other crafty objects, too!
#46 of 151 Old 03-15-2010, 11:24 AM

Thank you Aeress and Aubergine for your input and dedication to this topic. I think a resource such as this for Pagan parents is really needed. And maybe there is enough for a website? There are so many great hs'ing ideas on the web, it would be neat to have a site to share on.

I'd like to see lessons organized by season instead of dates too, in order to make more sense globally, that was a fantastic idea Aubergine.

Now that my girls are past the early stuff ( ages 8 and 10) it is getting a lot harder for me to pick through the mountain of information and create a curriculum. I'd like something of a scope and sequence that I could refer to year to year. I created one back in 2005, but the advanced years need to be fleshed out more. That is one thing I could contribute to either this thread or a website. Make it kind of a jumping off point we could tweak and add to.
I just searched for that file on this computer and it seems dh didn't keep it. I suppose it was several years ago. At least I have a printed copy, all is not lost.

Weather tree- I drew a tree with 31 leaves on it, so each month had it's own tree. Then the girls colored a leaf for each day's weather. Grey for rain, green for sunny, etc. That's something else I could share too, provided I get the scanner to work.
#47 of 151 Old 03-15-2010, 12:26 PM

i am completely intrigued by this topic and i'm subbing to this thread. my little one is only 10.5 months old now, but i'm really wanting to HS in the future, with a pagan/earth based focus. i've been doing some searching myself, but i'm really happy to see this thread forming.

thank you, ladies!

mama to Jack 5/3/09 wife to family of
#48 of 151 Old 03-15-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post
I am so happy to see that two women have been working on a pagan curriculum.

Given the above, i am happy to let these women develop the curriculum and use this thread as a resource for parents.

What does everyone think about that?

I will continue to work on an earth centered approach to infants and toddlers though, cause it is something I am feeling compelled to do.
My children are 2,4 and 5 and I am excited to see what you will come up with
#49 of 151 Old 03-15-2010, 02:17 PM

I should have taken pictures of the painting part, but here is what we did:

the circle is mylar (I happen to have a ginormous roll of it, that I've had for 14+ years, and I'm finally using it for crafts)

The rainbow was made with finger paints & paint brushes & white paper (thicker paper). The kids painted sheets of paper with red, blue, and yellow. then we mixed them to make the secondary & tertiary colors. The tertiary colors didn't turn out as obvious as I'd hoped, but the overall effect was about what I wanted. We ended up with 12 sheets of paper in a rainbow of colors. Annie wanted December to be blue, and she was right! That puts the rainbow in a logical order, IMO.

I taped the pages to the back of the mylar after they went to bed - I am too much of a perfectionist to let the kids do that part After the pages were taped, the pinwheel effect is striking, so I didn't cut the edges off - but I originally was going to do that.

we're going to collect some flowers to press today, I think.

saphire: I like that idea for the weather tree. I'll see what I can come up with today!

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#50 of 151 Old 03-15-2010, 02:25 PM

this looks amazingly cool. you could come up with one for where you live.

http://www.vitalcommunities.org/Vall...alleyQuest.htm

http://www.vitalcommunities.org/vall...s/Odzihozo.pdf

#51 of 151 Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 AM

awesome, awesome, awesome!

Maryhippie.gif

#52 of 151 Old 03-16-2010, 11:52 AM

We're going to try to focus on herbs a lot this Spring and Summer. I've already bought most of the back issues for the Herbal Roots Zine, and they look awesome. We haven't started using them yet, but it's on our list for April!

http://www.lunaherbco.com/herbal_roots/

Holli
#53 of 151 Old 03-16-2010, 12:40 PM

have you seen the wildcraft game?

http://www.learningherbs.com/wildcraft.html

my DS adores it!

#54 of 151 Old 03-16-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umami_mommy View Post
have you seen the wildcraft game?

http://www.learningherbs.com/wildcraft.html

my DS adores it!
Yep! DH and DD played it just the other night.
#55 of 151 Old 03-16-2010, 02:59 PM

It's funny. I actually dreamt about this thread. My inner ra sun was shining in my dream and I decided it was time to think about pagan homeschooling.

My kidlets are only 3 and 4 so we aren't schooling yet. We probably will be in the realm of "waldorf unschoolers" in the end though. Waldorf really sings to my heart. The good thing is that Waldorf is very tailorable to your own needs if you make your own curriculum. You can add more multi-cultural stories to it and add age appropriate pagan stories/verses/chants/info. The yearly rhythm in Waldorf is about what holidays/celebrations you choose to celebrate.

What I think would be interesting is to have a book of holidays. Most holidays we celebrate have pagan roots and I personally am not always sure of them. I find it infinitely fascinating the ties between christian and pagan holidays. Then we can take the holidays that our culture makes the children heavily aware of (Christmas, Easter, etc) and put the pagan spin on them so we can be aware of what the holiday really means.

My DH is breathing down my neck so I'll type more later.

ETA - EarthSchooling has ebooks on herbs. She also has children's classes and books for healing here is the link to the ebooks page

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
#56 of 151 Old 03-16-2010, 04:51 PM

Love the weather tree!

I'm planning a "day book" that is similar... I can't remember where I first heard about them, but basically each child has a book of blank pages. Each night they color a page to represent how that day was (can include images, or just be a single color wash) and select one or two words to describe the day (parent or older child writes the words on the page). You end up with a sort of "flip book" of the emotional year.

#57 of 151 Old 03-16-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marimami View Post
We're going to try to focus on herbs a lot this Spring and Summer. I've already bought most of the back issues for the Herbal Roots Zine, and they look awesome. We haven't started using them yet, but it's on our list for April!

http://www.lunaherbco.com/herbal_roots/

Holli
Oooh, cool! I've been thinking about incorporating that and the wildcrafts game here and there, too.

Happy and in love with my family!
#58 of 151 Old 03-17-2010, 11:43 PM

Location: In the Central Valley, dreaming of my home by the bay..
I am subbing! This is a great thread

I noticed as I was skimming someone mentioned SpiralScouts I am a Circle leader for, wow, 3 years now, and am happy to help anyone out who's getting started

I am sure that the books Pagan Homeschooling and Raising Witches have been mentioned? I didn't get a change to read in depth, my kids are calling me to come and watch Ponyo

SpiralScoutin' Homeschoolin' Mama to Michael, Citizen of Portlandia, age 21, Danielle, Artist in Residence, Age 9 & Jack-Jack, Minecraft Maniac, Age 6
#59 of 151 Old 03-20-2010, 07:41 PM

circle round: raising children in the goddess tradition is also a great book. there are also a few waldorfy books about "irish holoidays / norse holidays / india's holidays etc etc I bought the irish one which of course is pagan /catholic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookygirl View Post

I noticed as I was skimming someone mentioned SpiralScouts I am a Circle leader for, wow, 3 years now, and am happy to help anyone out who's getting started
Nice! i just sent in money and info for a hearth i'm really psyched to get started as it will fed alot of that pagan stuff i want to get into my kids lives and it works like a homeschool coop

#60 of 151 Old 03-20-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
My DH feels very strongly that science would need to be an integral part of the curriculum, and while I agree with him, how to do that while keeping the wonder of it all, e.g. the moon phases, what happens scientifically and spiritually? Any thoughts?
I don't know. In my mind, the science of it seems to enhance the wonder. My own baby is too young yet, but a few years ago I taught a neighbor's 9 year old son about how a sundial worked and just last winter he was still trying to see the Newgrange Yule sunrise.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page