Pagan Homeschoolers: Curriculum Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 151 Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm just finding this!! I'm totally subbing.

DeShanna mommy to at home learnin' dd10/03dust.gif, ds 04/05jammin.gif and new baby ds 12/10boc.gif lovin' dh C )O( You can't find peace, until you find all of your pieces.
#122 of 151 Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 AM
gun

So sorry to miss this the first time around< but so happy to have found it now!

Peace- Heather
#123 of 151 Old 11-14-2011, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

Last September, the older preschoolers and I made a Wheel of the Year calendar, which involved writing practice, circle geometry, lots of learning. Here is a closeup

This is the Wheel calendar after 6 months (faded, now!). I am already planning to add more for next year -- photos of seasonal changes in our garden, more tags for religious holidays of other faiths, and definitely the moon phases and cross-quarter Pagan holidays. I think the children will learn a lot where holidays cluster, such as on Feb 2, which has Pagan, Catholic, and secular meaning (Groundhog's Day).

i think is is a really good idea. i have never used a curriculum with my son. (he is 9) but my daughter will be five next year (she goes to a morning program right now), and she needs planning planning planning to keep her happy and not burning the house down. i have run a "pixie path" for LOs several times and so i have lots of ideas, but this will keep me organized! (i'm a fly by the seat of your pants kinda mom) i am glad i revisited this thread. 

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#124 of 151 Old 11-19-2011, 01:39 AM

TOTALLY Subbing!!!  I love that there are so many different kinds of Parents on MDC!!! Thanks so much for all the links and ideas!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#125 of 151 Old 11-24-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire View Post

Thank you Aeress and Aubergine for your input and dedication to this topic. I think a resource such as this for Pagan parents is really needed. And maybe there is enough for a website? There are so many great hs'ing ideas on the web, it would be neat to have a site to share on.

I'd like to see lessons organized by season instead of dates too, in order to make more sense globally, that was a fantastic idea Aubergine.

Now that my girls are past the early stuff ( ages 8 and 10) it is getting a lot harder for me to pick through the mountain of information and create a curriculum. I'd like something of a scope and sequence that I could refer to year to year. I created one back in 2005, but the advanced years need to be fleshed out more. That is one thing I could contribute to either this thread or a website. Make it kind of a jumping off point we could tweak and add to.
I just searched for that file on this computer and it seems dh didn't keep it. I suppose it was several years ago. At least I have a printed copy, all is not lost.

Weather tree- I drew a tree with 31 leaves on it, so each month had it's own tree. Then the girls colored a leaf for each day's weather. Grey for rain, green for sunny, etc. That's something else I could share too, provided I get the scanner to work.

YES to organized by season :D     As I've said about Oak Meadow, it was a pita to use down here because I had to reorganize the whole thing to make it make sense in our upside down world ROTFLMAO.gifAnd I totally agree, my son is turning 10 just before we start our new school year... things are much more in depth at this age than they were when he was 7 and I used Magic school bus books to write my own science for the boys LOL.   I think doing that NOW would be rather hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookygirl View Post

I am subbing! This is a great thread

I noticed as I was skimming someone mentioned SpiralScouts I am a Circle leader for, wow, 3 years now, and am happy to help anyone out who's getting started

I am sure that the books Pagan Homeschooling and Raising Witches have been mentioned? I didn't get a change to read in depth, my kids are calling me to come and watch Ponyo

SIGH  there are no spiral scouts groups down here in Australia greensad.gif  I just do not have the time with working evenings, home schooling days and keeping up with what the other kids are doing at school to start & run a group... but oh I would love to help if someone else wanted to start one lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
I really like your idea, wombatclay. I know there is Goddess Moon Circles (?) Academy but I don't know much about them. I know my dh would probably laugh if he saw me ordering the kids curriculum from them (he's atheist). But I'm pagan and the kids are pagan/agnostic/atheist and very into nature and mythology and such. I would love a more neutral pagan/earth-spirituality source. Right now we are Waldorfy CM-y almost unschoolers and it's hard to find sources that aren't either "there is no god/goddess" or "the bible is always right".

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post

cant really post but \quick note

if you search Goddess Moon Circle Academy you will find there are lots of iffy issues wuth them

NOD I think I alluded to this earlier in the thread... They may still have a website up but I would not touch them with a 10ft pole!  There have been many complaints of no records of studies, no communication (I tried to get info from them and they were horrible), and not even providing the links to curriculum after it was paid for.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun View Post

So sorry to miss this the first time around< but so happy to have found it now!

joy.gif    SO,  my two boys were in a b&m school this year... but about 2weeks ago I withdrew Lucas (almost 10) due to severe socialization issues, bullying (by kids and the principal sadly) added to the fact that he has adhd /possibly aspergers and just was NOT coping well.   He has been temporarily using time4learning to finish the last few weeks of the year and then will have a much deserved break!   I have his studies planned for next year and while I haven't gone for specifically pagan content, when we go through ancient history (pandia press history odyssey lvl2.. pardon lack of caps, I don't have a ton of time and am being lazy lol)   we will spend a goodly amount of time discussing their religions/dieties/beliefs as we go from culture to culture treehugger.gif  

I hadn't popped by this thread in a LONG time, because coming to the homeschooling board was a bit greensad.gif  after we stopped home schooling.  My 7yo is staying in school, because he is thriving there!  and the 5yo wants to go to prep as well, so I figure I will let him and see how he does with it.  If he dislikes it or reacts badly, we'll bring him home as well... but at least for the start of the year I really want to give Lucas as much individual time as I can.. he had a really bad year greensad.gif  So we'll be a split homeschooling family, but since we'll be doing what's best for each one of our children, I am ok with that!    I'm looking forward to being part of the homeschooling board/community again!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#126 of 151 Old 11-25-2011, 11:32 AM
gun

Cari - we did T4L for a while and MathXL too and they were OK, but we are taking a break.  I think that there should not be such a strong division w/ HS or PS.  Lots of folks do PS AND also some part-time HS too.  It is all about what works for each unique child.  I think my youngest would love school, I think she would do very well when it comes time for that.  DD1 would be in Kindy this coming Sept and I just don't see her adjusting as well.  Additionally they only do full day kindy here, and i just cannot get behind that at all.

What I have hopes for are an all hands on craft CENTERED curriculum that is if not pagan focused, how 'bout Pagan friendly?!  Not asking for much here am I?!

Peace- Heather
#127 of 151 Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 PM

Glad to see this thread back! I'll be following along <3

Happy and in love with my family!
#128 of 151 Old 12-06-2011, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to see this thread up and running.

We are a UU/Pagan homeschooling family, with bits of Regio/Montessori thrown in. We celebrate the sabbats, and do a lot of nature themed lessons.

Gotta run, but will add more later

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#129 of 151 Old 12-09-2011, 10:46 PM

subbing!

#130 of 151 Old 12-11-2011, 02:38 PM

Did the MDC mama from this thread ever finish writing her Pagan Homeschooling curriculum? I'd love to read more about that...

onlyAngil likes this.
#131 of 151 Old 12-18-2011, 06:07 PM

Here's another wheel , and one you and your child can make . Upon each smooth river stone

is drawn a symbol . Thirty symbols make a primal language that's not too big not too small .

The wheel is a language toy , and children do love it . This is our natural way of language -

in the spin and of the wild .

You can try it out now . I have a wheel next to me and can harmoniously spin

for you in playing the Game of Questions .

Think of what you want to know  (perhaps to note it on paper) , then reply to me

with an ok , tikoo , i got my question . I'll spin the wheel for you and we'll see what

word it makes . Each symbol has one meaning , thus is a word .

O A circle is one of the symbols . It's meaning is space , of a place . This of

course is a common symbol through-out the world . So is it's sound .

ahhhh

You may receive a free magical spin . or two . because twice is

nice for knowing something new and true .

#132 of 151 Old 12-19-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

I started a pagan curriculum for kids, but it is not anywhere near done. I am still working on  it.

I believe WombatClay was working on a curric as well.

CariOfOz likes this.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#133 of 151 Old 01-05-2012, 10:47 AM

Anyone adapted Ambleside for a Pagan household?

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#134 of 151 Old 01-13-2012, 01:57 AM

I am so glad to see that the pagan homeschool thread is alive and well.  :)

#135 of 151 Old 01-23-2012, 06:56 PM

subbing

#136 of 151 Old 02-09-2012, 12:26 PM

Is this still the active thread? I'm subbing. joy.gif

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#137 of 151 Old 03-01-2012, 04:11 AM

I consider myself spiritual and relate to and celebrate nature... But otherwise do not label myself smile.gif I am Jewish by birth and still enjoy aspects of that, but I am choosy.

We're just starting our home education adventure as my little one is 2, but I'm working to incorporate more rhythm, and to celebrate and learn around the seasons! I'm very interested in a few of the programs brought up as things to pull from. The little acorns and seasons of joy I'm saving and planning to read more on then probably purchase.

I am also starting learning French with my little one smile.gif

Doula mama to my nursing toddler Noah and a June baby otw.

Mama to bftoddler.gifand belly.gif

#138 of 151 Old 06-26-2012, 06:11 AM

I am starting the process of forming our pagan-friendly curriculum for my five year old.  You can share in my process here:  http://wildwoodnaturals.blogspot.com/

I will have certain elements of it available for download, once I figure out how to do that, but will be sharing most everything we do on the blog.  I taught 7th grade in a PS for about a year an a half, and my sister is helping me with doing some of the formulating.  Otherwise, it will be a blend of Waldorf, Shamanic/Pagan, self-discovery for children, obviously with appropriate academic materials.  If you are interested in early learning/Kindergarten materials with Earth-based themes, come by and check it out.  And please don't hesitate to let me know if you have read the materials-- feedback will be helpful for me while figuring out what my Little One's needs are!

#139 of 151 Old 08-31-2012, 08:35 PM

Just bumping this back up again:) 

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#140 of 151 Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM

My DD is only 10 months but I'm pagan and wanting to raise her as a little Witchling. smile.gif DH supports and is more pagan than he'll like to admit, he was raised Native American. I'm considering homeschooling. Loved reading through this thread!

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
#141 of 151 Old 04-20-2013, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Bumping this up! If anyone us interested in writing a curriculum, and needs help or wants to collaborate, contact me.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#142 of 151 Old 04-22-2013, 07:02 AM

This is a great idea! I'll provide any help I can. What kind of thing(s) still need to be done?

#143 of 151 Old 05-09-2013, 10:48 PM

subbing

#144 of 151 Old 06-12-2013, 09:23 PM

Subbing.

Ecstatic mama to our one and only Aurora (Apr 07)
#145 of 151 Old 06-20-2013, 09:40 AM

Is this thread still active??  I have only seen a few posts other than those bumping and those subscribing within the last year...

I have 4 children, my oldest graduated this year, my second oldest is remaining in a nearby public high school, and my two youngest are homeschooled.

I would LOVE to see a reasonably priced pagan-based curriculum.  I am as eclectic in schooling format as I am in my spirituality.

I have been using Time4Learning & IXL, and approaching everything with kind of a "Waldorf" view. We learn a great deal from nature, and much of the "classic" studies can be reinforced in this way also.  I find that a mixed approach to learning works best for us, with some of that day spent on "book/computer work" and the rest spent in a hands-on basis.

Example:

Science - the lesson begins with a book/computer lesson that studies botany; from there we research the growth, enviroment, needs, etc of a chosen herb;

Physical Education - We go out and plant that herb, or harvest it, depending on what stage of growth it might be in at the time we are studying it.

Home Ec/Life Skills - We plan a meal that uses the herb we planted/harvested

Health - We find out the health benefits of the herb and other ingredients in the meal planned. We learn what food groups they all encompass and why it is important to get a little of each group. Perhaps even learn the medicinal uses of the herb.

Language Arts - We use the names of many herbs and plants and parts of plants for spelling/vocabulary, as well as perhaps writing up an information page for the child's personal book (book of shadows, herbal grimoire, or other type of personal book)

Social Studies - Perhaps we learn how the herb was used in the past in may different cultures

Math - Maybe we compare the costs of growing our own herbs to buying them, or calculate the amounts of items used in the recipe if it needed to be doubled or tripled

Spirituality - How does this herb fit into our spirituality? We see the divine in all things, including the plants that sustain us. We also often use herbs in our daily rituals.

The above example covers ALL the required subjects in my state (Nebraska) - Math, Science, Social Studies, Language Arts, and Health - all based off of an herb we started out studying on a website like Time4Learning or from a book.  What's more... we didn't have to pay an outrageous amount for a "cookie-cutter curriculum" that we then had to modify to make it fit us.

How do YOU homeschool?

#146 of 151 Old 06-20-2013, 10:40 AM

I don't think this thread is very active, but I would love to see it more active. My six year old finally got on board with the homeschooling idea, and I tentatively have started planning. I'd love to hear what other Pagan/earth-centered mamas have planned.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#147 of 151 Old 08-01-2013, 06:46 PM

We are a Pagan homeschool family.

I am working mostly with in Waldorf, which I have found very supportive to being Earth Based right up till 2nd Grade. I am Currently looking into what Stories will fill the rolls of the 'Saint' stories, as it is the message of the story that matters, not this story or that. I feel Stiner, himself provided input from his religious pov and 'universal truths'- things that hold true from religion to religion- but didn't mean for his religious pov to be the end all; I digress. I am also adding in bits and pices of other styles, but at a Waldorf speed...

I do have a Religious Ed part of our homeschool, and I fully hope my kids question it and find what they believe. I'm just sharing what I believe. I see many pagans who choose to leave their child/ern "blank slates", and I feel this will be leaving a void in an important part of childhood. A void a child/teen/adult might fill with anything from a well meaning religion to drugs or anything in between. If I teach my children to think for themselves, and the idea of being a Spirtual person they will find Their way. This is what my goal in the end.

We do go to a UU, and love them. As they allow us to have our theology, and I can find like minded people, sometimes smile.gif Also, we are looking into Spiral Scouts to see if there is a circle near us.

If anyone wants to chit chat about Pagan homeschooling feel free to hit me up!
#148 of 151 Old 08-01-2013, 08:36 PM

I am super new to homeschool but I have heard that oak meadow does different stories when typical Waldorf starts saints and Enki does multicultural stories. I have an awesome feminist fairy tale book called "maiden of the north" I plan to use. Also my dad is working on righting stories that read like fairy tales to teach the kids about different healing properties of herbs "ginkgo tree helps lost kids remember their way home etc" so you could write some of your own like that.
#149 of 151 Old 08-08-2013, 01:59 AM

Hello all, this is my first post on Mothering.

In response to Abergine68 - I loved what you have done with your wheel & it has inspired me to do something similar with my daughters this year. I plan for each of us to have our own wheel & add to it as we move through the year. 

I did a little bit of digging online & found this super website that has lots of inspiring photos : Partners in Place

I have also been working on a post on my own blog about the 'Wheel of the year' I made for my daughters several years ago, which is still going strong. You can see photos here

Thank you again for the inspiration!

#150 of 151 Old 08-08-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyAngil View Post

I do have a Religious Ed part of our homeschool, and I fully hope my kids question it and find what they believe. I'm just sharing what I believe. I see many pagans who choose to leave their child/ern "blank slates", and I feel this will be leaving a void in an important part of childhood. A void a child/teen/adult might fill with anything from a well meaning religion to drugs or anything in between. If I teach my children to think for themselves, and the idea of being a Spirtual person they will find Their way. This is what my goal in the end.

I think this is a lovely goal. I do believe we all have a spiritual aspect to us. Nurturing that in children in a gentle, 'sharing the family culture' sort of way and teaching them to think for themselves is a good thing in my own humble opinion.

onlyAngil likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page