need a math curriculum for 5th grade - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-13-2010, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It needs to be totally scripted so its easy for me to teach and not impart my bad math habits onto my child or math that could come with DVD' or computer tutorials would be great. I'm horrible at math and am stuggling teaching it

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#2 of 8 Old 03-13-2010, 05:31 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Teaching Textbooks would allow you to take yourself totally out of the equation (so to speak).

Math-U-See could help you learn along with your child in new, deeper ways.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 8 Old 03-13-2010, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've heard good things about Teaching Textbooks, too.
But I do have to say (as a homeschool parent) that not being willing to learn BETTER math habits along with your 10yo is not a good example.

It's not hard, although it may be challenging, and in the long run you'll be doing both of you a favor. Really.

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#4 of 8 Old 03-13-2010, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post

It's not hard, although it may be challenging, and in the long run you'll be doing both of you a favor. Really.
Yes I totally agree and plan to with my younger 3 but right now have a 9, 3, 2 yr old and 7 month old..... it is hard to find the time and learn a new task right now I was looking for somthing he could do without my help. I plan to do math you see with you youngers when they start. or Right start

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#5 of 8 Old 03-14-2010, 12:33 AM

I'm using Right Start with my advanced 8yo, my 6yo, and my 4yo. It's very challenging for me, as it uses the abacus as the backbone of the program, and I was never taught to think of math in those terms.

BUT....it's been amazing for my kids, and my 8yo passed a sample SBA test that was one year ahead of his grade level without even blinking. He's sort of learned to think "with an abacus in his head," and that's how I'm slowly learning to do math, as well.

It's amazing that I've spent all these years thinking I was great at Trig and geometry, etc., and then finding out how much simpler so many other things could have been had I learned to do math with something as seemingly simple as an abacus. (But it's not simple if you haven't grown up learning with one...it took me a while to get the hang of it, and even now it's easier to THINK in the Right Start math way than to USE the abacus).

Good luck, whatever you do, but I'd say if you use Right STart with your 9yo, begin with the Transition Math for Level C. We began with Level D and it's a lot to start with (and we started with the Transition book). Plus, it's a lot of card games (some of which he can play alone), so there is more to it than just book work.

Love, P

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#6 of 8 Old 03-14-2010, 12:57 AM

Math U See is fairly easy because it has a teaching DVD and lots of practice pages if they need them.

I do need to help my kids with it sometimes, long division was one place dd didn't get it from the DVD.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#7 of 8 Old 03-14-2010, 01:09 AM

Long division was the first experience I had w/ my first child (now 17), where I didn't know HOW to explain a math process...It was interesting, and thankfully one of my great friends is a math teacher and showed her (with manipulatives) in about 5 minutes flat. I knew HOW to do long division, just not how to teach it.

Homeschooling is just one long educational experience for ALL of us!

#8 of 8 Old 03-14-2010, 08:00 PM

Math U See is great! I also have a copy of Usborne's Math Encyclopedia for easy reference. It has been very helpful.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page