Magic School Bus - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 03-17-2010, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have any of you tried these materials for science ?
#2 of 24 Old 03-17-2010, 11:33 PM

We don't use materials per se, but we have the entire tv series which my 6 year old watches frequently - loves them - and will random spout off things like, "MOM DID YOU KNOW OUR HEART PUMP BLOOD!" lol. Its cute and it triggers little mini-lessons if she's interested in learning more. I can definitely see it being used as a teaching tool.

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn - Benjamin Franklin"
#3 of 24 Old 03-17-2010, 11:38 PM

Not for our official science curriculum.

But my kids love them and have learned a lot from them. They are really good for reinforcing specific information that the kids have learned in their science lessons. Gives them a good visual image and a story-line to help them remember the information, in a fun way.
#4 of 24 Old 03-18-2010, 01:10 AM

We haven't seen the show but my kids take the books out of the library and w own a few also.
A word of caution though, I find some of the books to be great and others to be really poorly written and not clear at all. sometimes I think the writer gets lost in the magic part and loses sight of the science part.
the worst one in my opinion is the book about rainbows. The kids are inside a giant pin ball machine and the story gets very confusing. Rainbows should not be that hard. There are others like that but that one really stands out.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#5 of 24 Old 03-18-2010, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
DS loved them when he was 'little' probably from 2-5 or so. The PP who didnt like the rainbow book, my DS loved the rainbow movie, he really grapsed the prism concept. MSB also has beginning chapter books for older kids, DS was just starting to loose interest when they were coming out (or I discovered them).

Now that DS is 9 he will watch them or read MSB from time to time. For schooling purposes I never did any of the experiments in the books.

I think MSB is a great starting point, we also have used 'EYEWITNESS' books, (and lots more that I cant remember at midnight)

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 24 Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 AM

we tivo all of the episodes and love them. at our co-op, my dd takes magic school bus science as one of her classes though. i also teach the K/1 class Magic School Bus science. for the class, we simply read a book & follow up with an experiment that corresponds. sometimes we throw a craft in too. we get the books from the library, and some of the experiment ideas come from here: http://www.scholastic.com/magicschoo...heme/index.htm

if you enjoy the episodes, you can also use books from "let's read and find out" science series, or we like gail gibbons a lot too. we prefer thse over the MSB books & they cover the same topics.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#7 of 24 Old 03-18-2010, 09:47 AM

Both my boys have always loved MSB! They used to watch the episodes...back when we had a tv, and now they love the books and sometimes grab a DVD at the library.

IMHO the picture books are much more useful than the chapter books. Much of the magic of the series is in the visual appeal and the chapter books lose that.

Maryhippie.gif

#8 of 24 Old 03-18-2010, 09:54 AM

no one has concerned about MSB and the school aspect? I have flat avoided them for that reason. thougths?

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#9 of 24 Old 03-18-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
no one has concerned about MSB and the school aspect? I have flat avoided them for that reason. thougths?
Someone mentioned that to me years ago and I was surprised. It had never occurred to me to avoid it on that basis because this is the least school-y environment I could imagine.

I think one of the best aspects of the show/series is that they almost never stay at the school. Heck, if there really were a Ms. Frizzle I might be convinced to send my boys to school so that they could have so many neat, hands on (and yes, utterly impossible) learning experiences.

Maryhippie.gif

#10 of 24 Old 03-18-2010, 10:08 AM

My kids play with enough school kids to know that those books are fantasy and not really what school is about.
Also my kids just found them at the library one day so I wasn't planning on not letting them read it b/c of the school thing.
Most kids near me don't even ride a bus much less go on cool field trips. The whole thing is all pretend.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#11 of 24 Old 03-18-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I think they are a great resource and actually support a life learning approach. From what I remember none of the learning actually takes place in school - it is all done out in the real world and by taking advantage of learning opportunities as they come up.

THe only time school comes up is in the title. For a long time the kids called our van the magic school van.

We've used the science kits, the videos and the books and my kids have enjoyed them all.

Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#12 of 24 Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I have also avoided them. Yes, it's not what school is really like - but my dc haven't been in school, so they don't know that. They're already interested enough in school buses (we see the drive by our house all the time), I don't need to make school buses seem even cooler.

There are lots of other science books.
#13 of 24 Old 03-18-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Not really. My kids know that "school busses take kids to school and back home again" and that lots of kids learn in large classrooms.

It's not made them want to go to school, if that's the concern.
#14 of 24 Old 03-18-2010, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipumpkins View Post
A word of caution though, I find some of the books to be great and others to be really poorly written and not clear at all.
There's a big difference between the original books (written by Joanna Cole and illustrated by Bruce Degen) and the ones based on the TV show (written and illustrated by various random people.) The original books are much, much better.
#15 of 24 Old 03-18-2010, 09:04 PM

We love the MSB books I've actually used them as the jumping point in our science for the year for the solar system, the earth and the human body. The 'school' bus issue doesn't really bother me much honestly. The kids know some kids go to school, but they don't really act as if the school part is important in these stories at all.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#16 of 24 Old 03-18-2010, 10:26 PM

We ordered 3 of the science kits (I forget what they were exactly - I think one on Light, one on the Human Body, and one on Flight).

DD loved them - as toys. Some of the activities did not work quite right (can't get the prism to show the spectum, spinning the color wheel did not work at all, the balloon did not stay taped to the tube).

Some of the activities seemed not related enough to the lesson. DD loved putting the colorant into the milk and adding soap to watch the spreading effect - but had no idea what she was observing.

The poster of the human body and organs was pretty cool. Its still up on the wall.

I don't think I will buy any more of the kits as I was disappointed in the lesson and quality of the materials, but DD enjoyed herself, so in that sense, it was worth it.
#17 of 24 Old 03-18-2010, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

We do the basic outdoor science stuff like plants and animals , life cycles, weather talk. My kids are only 3 and 4. Any resource suggestions ?
Philia
#18 of 24 Old 03-20-2010, 04:47 PM

I don't use them as curriculum but ds and I both love science and he just eats the books right up. When he's interested in a science concept I can often find an accompanying MSB book about it and he gets so excited. I didn't even know there was a TV show - what channel does it come on?

As for the school issue, ds went to public kindy for half the year and at some point he'll prob go back into public school (when we move away from these terrible schools) so that's not really an issue for us.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#19 of 24 Old 03-20-2010, 05:05 PM

the boys love MSB and so I've bought several of the dvd's of the shows and hope to at least get several more. We have a few of their books (favorates) but our library has an awesome MSB selection that we check out mainly.

Im not too concerned with the whole *school* aspect but my children have attended school before and may in the future. They know (by experience) that children learn in several ways in brick/mortar schools, at home in, in ps or private.

I do think some of the books are more well wrtitten than others. I dont care so much for the chapter books but may get some for later reading.
#20 of 24 Old 03-30-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post
There's a big difference between the original books (written by Joanna Cole and illustrated by Bruce Degen) and the ones based on the TV show (written and illustrated by various random people.) The original books are much, much better.
Yes, very much so. You can tell you've got one of the original books because they're bigger and rectangular, and the TV novelizations are smaller and closer to square. The original books also have MUCH more going on in the pictures.

Cole & Degen have also written some fantastic history books under the "Ms. Frizzle's Adventures" series title. There are three so far: Imperial China, Ancient Egypt, and Medieval Castle.

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
#21 of 24 Old 03-30-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
You can't avoid school. It is a fact that it is out there and people go to it. As kids get older, many of the books they enjoy to read are about school. My daughter loves Junie B Jones...but I'm not going to tell her no just because she is in K and then 1st.

I big fat fuzzy heart Magic School Bus. I've made it my mission to find the books at garage sales and resale shops. My daughter is currently asking to watch a few of the videos (a co-op science class showed them)...so I think we have one on hold at the library.

I'd like to REALLY use these to make a science curric. Hmm....off to search...

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#22 of 24 Old 03-30-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
Not really. My kids know that "school busses take kids to school and back home again" and that lots of kids learn in large classrooms.
Yes, school buses do not turn into bees, submarines or spaceships. I have also yet to see one get reaaaaallly tiny and go inside Ralphie's body. Except for some 80s movie starring Meg Ryan (Innerspace?).

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#23 of 24 Old 03-31-2010, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post

My son attends OT at the local school and every chance I get, I point out the parts of it he WOULDN'T love (like cleanup when the bell rings even if you're having fun).

We can't get around school. Between his cousins and the kids in the neighborhood--it's just "there".

LOVE the videos. Ds really loves them, too. I wish I could get every one of them.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#24 of 24 Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we love the videos which we get from the library, and the books are fun, too.

Lydia

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page