Homeschooling twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-22-2010, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are considering homeschooling next year, we have a 7yo boy who will be in 3rd grade, and 5yo twin girls who will be in first grade. Is there anyone here who has had success with homeschooling multiples?
#2 of 8 Old 03-22-2010, 01:58 AM

I'm homeschooling my twin boys. They are very different in personality and learning style and everything really. I do a core program together and then work on math, phonics, handwriting individually with them. It's working well.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#3 of 8 Old 03-22-2010, 12:21 PM

I homeschool my twins who are 8 y/o b/g twins and my 2 other two kids who are 12 and 6. My youngest 3 kids have never been to school.

They work on the same math, phonics etc. We do other stuff as a group. I personally don't find the fact that they are twins comes into play in homeschooling, but they have never been competitive so that may be why.

hth
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#4 of 8 Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 PM

I am planning on homeschooling my b/g twins, they are currently 3 and a 1/2. I am excited that I will be able to give them 1 on 1 attention but that they will also have another "student" learning with them. Their younger sister, currently 15 months, is proving quite precocious so I think she will probably end up tagging along with their schooling as well. Probably when the twins are 6 and she is 3.5. What are your specific concerns?

SAHM to my surprise bigeyes.gif twins M&W (7/06) twins.gif and my vbac.gif darling W (1/09) hearts.gif Expecting another little bean this summer pos.gif
#5 of 8 Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies, I appreciate your input! All the other mothers in my Mothers of Multiples club think I'm nuts for wanting to take on homeschooling with twins, but then again none of them have any experience with homeschooling, LOL!

One of my biggest concerns is them copying off each other. My girls are identical, and have the whole "twin connection" thing going. R is better at reading, while S is better at math. If you ask them both a question (and you KNOW only one of them knows the answer), they look at each other, then the one who knows the answer will start answering. The other will chime in with the same answer so quickly that to someone who doesn't know them it sounds like they answered in unison.
#6 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekahlily View Post
Thanks ladies, I appreciate your input! All the other mothers in my Mothers of Multiples club think I'm nuts for wanting to take on homeschooling with twins, but then again none of them have any experience with homeschooling, LOL!

One of my biggest concerns is them copying off each other. My girls are identical, and have the whole "twin connection" thing going. R is better at reading, while S is better at math. If you ask them both a question (and you KNOW only one of them knows the answer), they look at each other, then the one who knows the answer will start answering. The other will chime in with the same answer so quickly that to someone who doesn't know them it sounds like they answered in unison.
I get this too. That's why I do phonics and math separately. Writing we did together for a long time and still could but it works better to group those three subjects. The other stuff (like literature) I can say "This question is for Andrew, ..." and they are old enough now to handle that. But for the above subjects it works better to focus on each child individually here. The program I selected don't take much time so it's really no big deal to turn take with me on that stuff.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#7 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 07:48 PM

I suspect that your moms of multiples friends think you are more nuts for just homeschooling period than the the fact that you are homeschooling twins-ha. We homeschool and I have almost 4 yr old twins and 2 older kids. It is going just fine.

mama to Joshua (9), Lily (8), Jude (6) and Ava (6)

#8 of 8 Old 03-23-2010, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestmom View Post
I suspect that your moms of multiples friends think you are more nuts for just homeschooling period than the the fact that you are homeschooling twins-ha. We homeschool and I have almost 4 yr old twins and 2 older kids. It is going just fine.
LOL! You're probably right!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page