Please share 3-5 things your homeschool couldn't do without! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 03-24-2010, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been on a kick to get my 'perfect' order list ready for next year, lol. I'd love if you'd share 3-5 things you have that you're homeschool couldn't do without. I'm pretty sure I must be overlooking something . A certain book, workbook, text, resource, manipulative, what have you.

blogging.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 29 Old 03-24-2010, 05:17 PM

1. Library card
2. Laser b/w printer
3. e-reader for all those free classics for children

Ok, I guess I could do without the third one, but I wouldn't want to
#3 of 29 Old 03-24-2010, 11:23 PM

A big, laminated world map.

3 ring binders with clear sleeve covers so that you can customize them. We NEVER seem to have enough! We make notebooks for astronomy, spelling, history, math reference, poetry, handwriting, etc. When we no longer need one we just take out the pages and the cover sheet and it's ready to be used again.

Internet access.
#4 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 12:27 AM

1. DRY ERASE BOARD. The larger the better....complete with as many different colored dry erase markers you can find.

2. A printer/copier/whatever else you can add on. I finally got one. Changed my life! Yay!

3. As many 3 ring binders and notebooks and journals you can get your hands on. We go through them like gangbusters.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#5 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 12:28 AM

1) membership to a homeschool support group
2) internet access (for me really, not the kids, LOL!)
3) books, books and more books. We buy tons of books (new and used) but also love love love the library
#6 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
1. The internet on a laptop with connections to a laser printer / fax/ copier / scanner.
2. 2nd computer for DS
3. Library card to large regional library with programs for school age kids and lots of books, dvds, etc
4. PAPER, you would not imagine the amount of paper DS goes through - also art supplies
5. Once the kids get going most can accomplish 2 grades per one year, so make sure you have lots of academics on hand for them once they get rolling. (this will vary per student and outside factors but around here this seems to be the case)

ETA my son will be 10 next school year... so he is probably a bit older than many of your kiddies...

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#7 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
1. The internet on a laptop with connections to a laser printer / fax/ copier / scanner.
2. 2nd computer for DS
3. Library card to large regional library with programs for school age kids and lots of books, dvds, etc
4. PAPER, you would not imagine the amount of paper DS goes through - also art supplies
5. Once the kids get going most can accomplish 2 grades per one year, so make sure you have lots of academics on hand for them once they get rolling. (this will vary per student and outside factors but around here this seems to be the case)

ETA my son will be 10 next school year... so he is probably a bit older than many of your kiddies...
zebra15- You've made me feel old, lol! My oldest is my dd, who is 10! That's very good advice with #5. I'm possibly going overboard with Math, Science, and Language this year, but I figure its all gravy considering I plan to homeschool for many years to come(my youngest dd is 2!). Most of the things I'm planning to purchase I can reuse with little dd in the future. I am buying Singapore Math and Science textbooks and home instructor's guides with the Math, so I decided to buy three workbooks of each instead of two.That way I'll have two workbooks, one for each of the older kids and one workbook left for little dd for future use. I know how Singapore likes to revise their books and want to be sure I'll be able to reuse the textbooks and home instructor guides with her.

blogging.jpg

#8 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

I agree with everyone! I could not do without my library card!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so accustomed to it I take it for granted even. Quite similar with the internet too.

blogging.jpg

#9 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 01:42 AM

You're getting a few things that everyone needs listed over and over - I agree with those posters.

1- A library card
2- The internet - for you *and* them
3- A globe (which is what I prefer for my tactile children) or a world map (which is what I prefer for me)

A printer, now that I have one, is indispensable.

But, really, a library card (we have to pay $70 for one) is our best investment.

If I lived near any museums, we'd have memberships there.

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#10 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
We also have a 'good' atlas. I think I got it on clearance for under $10.00
Actually we have a world atlas, USA road atlas, plus a few other geography books.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#11 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 02:11 AM

1) a globe
2) a good alphabet poster (upper and lower case, block-printing)
3) some kind of small math manipulatives (We have Counting Bears).
4) BOB books
5) lots of good reference books (atlas, childrens dictionary, basic "how-it-works" kinds of books)

My DD is five and doing "first grade" type work, if it makes a difference.

Homeschooling, etsy-crafting Mama to spunky DD (12-04) and wife to DH.

#12 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 02:27 AM

Such a great question!

1. Internet
2. Printer
3. Library card
4. Atlas or globe
5. Art supplies
#13 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJsmomma View Post
5. Art supplies
Great addition!

Art supplies (paper, glue, popsicle sticks, markers, crayons, beads, yarn, fabric scraps, etc) are a necessity around here.

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#14 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
1. DRY ERASE BOARD. The larger the better....complete with as many different colored dry erase markers you can find.
This, by far, is now a necessity. We have a floor version and it is used every single day - for work or for art or anything. We've saved a bunch on paper because the board is often used in lieu of paper. If you get large binder clips, you can use large paper and make it a flip chart, too.

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

#15 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 08:54 AM

1. a car (We are always off to somewhere)
2. Museum membership that offer reciprocal days to other museums
3. My homeschool group lists We get so much info from them
4.library card
5.Internet for Youtube, google and ABC teach etc...

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#16 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 09:02 AM

1. Internet access - especially for the free printables, online games, etc.
2. Library card
3. Arts & craft stuff
4. Access to nature - I feel it's very important for kids to be out there exploring and learning about the world hands-on
5. Lots of board games & card games - my kids just LOVE this kind of stuff!

#17 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 09:43 AM

My list is very similar to everyone elses'.

The only addition I would make is office supplies - elastics, paper clips and thumb tacks. We use these items several times a month - and usually for crafts or science, lol. A strong glue is very usefull as well (white glue does not always cut it)
#18 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 10:06 AM

-A drawer full of "household" craft stuff - paper towel/TP rolls, egg cartons, jars, ribbon, yarn, lids, shoe box, strawberry baskets, etc.

-Math workbooks
#19 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 12:14 PM

1) high speed internet access. We use the internet all the time! I seriously do not think i could homeschool with out it. We watch video's, use interactive website, educational web sites. I get ton's of ideas from blogs and other web sites. Google can be a quick answer to all their small questions...Internet access just adds so much to our homeschool!!

2)decent library system, we use five in a row which we love, but could never do effectively with out a good library.

3) a good stash of office/school supplies/art supplies

4)printer

5) a little bit of extra money budgeted weekly for our homeschool. For trips, experiment supplies etc. It adds a lot to our lessons.
#20 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 12:30 PM

subbing

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#21 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 12:58 PM

1. A library card
2. A backyard
3. A dishwasher
#22 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 01:11 PM

We love:

1) Dry erase boards
2) Library
3) Local volunteer days (My oldest volunteers one day a month at our local water center, and I'm hoping to find more places she can volunteer this year. It really gives a good hands on experience!)
4) Friends! We have gotten a lot of neat ideas for projects from talking to our homeschool friends. And we've been to places we might not have gone to if they hadn't asked us to come along.
5) Games. We like Scrabble for spelling and my middle dd has one called Fun with Numbers that teaches counting and basic adding and subtracting.
#23 of 29 Old 03-25-2010, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1) YMCA membership. Our local Y is great! They have free swim lessons for the kids (with membership), American Girl club, Scholastic book fairs, a huge art studio, family fun night, sports classes...

2) CLE workbooks. I use these with ds1 and dd. They're nice because I can hand them the book, say "Do lesson 3" and then check off that subject.

3) State Parks. They have lots of low cost educational programs that get the kids into nature and the outdoors.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#24 of 29 Old 03-26-2010, 06:23 PM

Oh, this is good thread! Thanks to the OP for posting the question, and thanks to everyone else for their answers.

In addition to all the great ideas that others have said, I'd add:
  • A magnetic dry erase board (at least 3x4).
  • An Amazon Prime account. What can I say? Sometimes I find a great resource, and I need it yesterday. This has been totally worth it for us.
  • An all-in-one printer that also makes color copies. Great for nature studies (protect the scanner glass with cellophane and then just scan bugs, twigs, leaves, feathers, etc.). Also handy in all sorts of ways.
  • Discovery Streaming Plus. Hundreds of educational videos instantly available. There's a fantastic discount available through Homeschool Buyers Co-op.
  • A ten-gallon aquarium. My kids have used this to observe lizards, skinks, tadpoles, frogs, fish, a praying mantis, and all sorts of other buggies. And I feel better that these creepy-crawlies are contained.
  • I would also say a large world map and globe, but Google Earth has been replacing both those resources for us lately.

Kelly
#25 of 29 Old 03-26-2010, 09:44 PM

Books--non-fiction, informative, historical, fiction, ect.
legos--we use these everyday--building, counting, ect
internet--for me...for ideas...for HS support
globe, world map, US map (laminated!!!)
games-scrabble jr, dino math, upwords, mind your manners, pictionary jr, risk, ect.
tree/plant/bird/animal guides for your area

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#26 of 29 Old 03-27-2010, 11:53 AM

subbing
#27 of 29 Old 03-27-2010, 12:21 PM

Heather-- I'm a <>< SAHM of two fabulous boys 8/05 and 2/07
#28 of 29 Old 03-27-2010, 02:18 PM

Here's our top homeschool things we couldn't do without. Everyone already mentioned most of our favorites.

• Large magnetic dry erase boards - I love white boards, we had several before we started homeschooling, and my favorite is a large one that sits propped up on the floor. We also have several large ones hanging up on the wall in the learning area and our offices. Even Satori's learning desk has a whiteboard surface.
  • Amazon Prime - I've had this service forever and I am completely addicted to getting books fast and cheap. I wish I could add a library card to my list of favorites, but we only use it once or twice a month, but Amazon I am on everyday.
  • Netflix/Discovery Plus Streaming - I waver between 4-6 at-time Netflix service to supplement history, and Discovery Streaming is a relatively new subscription for us, but it perfectly supplements science, history, Spanish, etc...
  • RightStart Abacus - a year ago I had no clue how to use an abacus, now it's the best tool for math
  • Homeschool SkedTrack - free online flexible scheduling/tracking service
  • 3-ring Binders - I like the ones that are easy to open and can display a cover page on the front. Just this spring I started to go crazy for these things.
  • Google Earth/Globe/Talking Globe/Maps - just love learning where things are in the world. We love these all equally.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#29 of 29 Old 03-27-2010, 09:08 PM

Mine are kind of different, but these are the things that make our homeschooling life run smoothly.

1- daily morning walks

2- quiet time for everyone after lunch

3- pets

4- no electronic media for kids during the school week, and very limited on the weekend

5- lots and lots of time outside

6- wonderful, local moms and kids to get together with OUTSIDE!

As far as actual, tangible resources...

-play dough to keep the littler kids happy

-a big chalkboard

-that's about all i've got so far for tangible things.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page