Can we talk about high school math programs? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 13 Old 03-24-2010, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
 
Callimom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love to know which programs people are using, love, dislike etc.
Ryan is heading into high school level math more formally. He's done up to about grade 8 in the slightly haphazard way we do math with some entrees into algebra, early geometry, trig and stats via different programs and interests. He's loved the Challenge Math series and done them all. We started with Miquon, did some Singapore, Hands on Algebra, and the Challenge math series.

He's not big on drill although he could probably use more. A straight textbook approach without anything interesting/funny is less likely to work for him. He thumbed through Life of Fred but it wasn't something that really caught him.

So I am not sure where to go from here and would love some ideas.
Thanks
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Callimom is offline  
#2 of 13 Old 03-24-2010, 11:20 PM
 
purslaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
By challenge math do you mean this? (top book on page)

https://smartmall.net-smart.net/challengemath/index.cfm

If not, I really recommend it! We think it is great. Let me know if you need more info or a mini review on it.

If it is it - how about the algebra book by the same author?

I am considerring making the plunge on this:
http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Alg...ref=pd_sim_b_1

Good luck sorting it out,

Kathy
purslaine is offline  
#3 of 13 Old 03-24-2010, 11:53 PM
 
zjande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: on the dusty homestead
Posts: 5,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That's funny, I was going to recommend the Challenge Math series! So, I'm totally unhelpful.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

zjande is offline  
#4 of 13 Old 03-25-2010, 01:30 AM
 
moominmamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Posts: 5,584
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Sophie started Art of Problem Solving Algebra at 10 and Geometry just recently at 11. (She's not done Algebra yet -- just mixing it up.) I'd say these books are Grade 9/10/11-ish by Canadian school standards. Very Singaporean in their emphasis on mathematical thinking, though quite college-like in their presentation. Very challenging. Well put together for a kid who likes to read to learn and then delve into challenging problems.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

moominmamma is online now  
#5 of 13 Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 AM
 
mugglemom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're in the same boat as the OP. DD10 likes humor and especially visuals, because she's dyslexic. Singapore and Challenge Math have worked great, but books like Art of Problem-Solving seem like they might be too text-heavy. Are there high school level books that use a more visual approach?

Margie
mugglemom is offline  
#6 of 13 Old 03-25-2010, 10:14 AM
 
mom2ponygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've really loved the Art of problem solving series, www.artofproblemsolving.com . My dd has done all the Intro level books, just finishing the last 2 chapters of Geometry now. Intro to Algebra covers Algebra 1 and a huge part of Algebra II found in traditional high school texts. My daughter says that reading the AoPS books is like being taught math from a friend - but she is a math crazy kid! I find the books an enjoyable read as well. They have interesting/funny 'extras' within each chapter as well as helpful (and amusing) bogus solution examples.

We're also looking at doing some portions of year 10 and 11 of MEP math, available free online. I like their statistics and data analysis units. I think they will complement the problem solving she's learned in AoPs very well.

Oh, and I should add - dd is 11 and enjoys a funny/light approach as well. She loves the videos on Alcumus on the www.artofproblemsolving.com site. Richard is a great teacher, but quite silly and fun as well. Alcumus is mostly counting and probability problems so far, but it is currently still free. Also on the www.MathCounts.org site, Richard has some videos called math minis (I think) that are great.
mom2ponygirl is offline  
#7 of 13 Old 03-25-2010, 12:32 PM
 
ChristaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,234
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ponygirl View Post
We're also looking at doing some portions of year 10 and 11 of MEP math, available free online.
I googled MEP math and came up with this. Is that the program you were referring to? I like what I saw. Since it is a British program, year 7 would be 6th grade here, correct? It looks like you can order print copies of the workbooks if you live in England, but would probably be printing out a lot here in the US.
ChristaN is offline  
#8 of 13 Old 03-25-2010, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
Callimom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
By challenge math do you mean this? (top book on page)

https://smartmall.net-smart.net/challengemath/index.cfm

If not, I really recommend it! We think it is great. Let me know if you need more info or a mini review on it.

If it is it - how about the algebra book by the same author?

I am considerring making the plunge on this:
http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Alg...ref=pd_sim_b_1

Good luck sorting it out,

Kathy
LOL yes - those are the books. We've done the whole series and are finishing up (sort of concurrently) the Challenge Math and the Algebra book in that series. We're also doing a grade 8 math drill type workbook - although we are using it to just see if there are holes we need to address before getting into a high school level math.

I have Jacobs Human Endeavour book - haven't delved into that.
I'll check out the AoPS and MEP.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Other ideas welcome.
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Callimom is offline  
#9 of 13 Old 03-25-2010, 09:41 PM
 
mom2ponygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristaN View Post
I googled MEP math and came up with this. Is that the program you were referring to? I like what I saw. Since it is a British program, year 7 would be 6th grade here, correct? It looks like you can order print copies of the workbooks if you live in England, but would probably be printing out a lot here in the US.
Yes that's it. I think it was actually a Hungarian program the Brits have translated and used. It could end up being a lot of printing - we haven't tried it yet.
mom2ponygirl is offline  
#10 of 13 Old 03-28-2010, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
 
Callimom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ponygirl View Post
We've really loved the Art of problem solving series, www.artofproblemsolving.com . My dd has done all the Intro level books, just finishing the last 2 chapters of Geometry now. Intro to Algebra covers Algebra 1 and a huge part of Algebra II found in traditional high school texts. My daughter says that reading the AoPS books is like being taught math from a friend - but she is a math crazy kid! I find the books an enjoyable read as well. They have interesting/funny 'extras' within each chapter as well as helpful (and amusing) bogus solution examples.

We're also looking at doing some portions of year 10 and 11 of MEP math, available free online. I like their statistics and data analysis units. I think they will complement the problem solving she's learned in AoPs very well.

Oh, and I should add - dd is 11 and enjoys a funny/light approach as well. She loves the videos on Alcumus on the www.artofproblemsolving.com site. Richard is a great teacher, but quite silly and fun as well. Alcumus is mostly counting and probability problems so far, but it is currently still free. Also on the www.MathCounts.org site, Richard has some videos called math minis (I think) that are great.
Did you move from Challenge Math to the Art of Problem Solving Basics Book? Is that what you meant for the Intro Levels book?

Thanks
Karen

Mugglemum - My eldest would probably like something a little less text heavy as well, ideally. I'm still looking for more ideas

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Callimom is offline  
#11 of 13 Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
 
Callimom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone used the materials from Key Press called Discovering Algebra, Discovering Geometry etc?

Any comments on the content level or approach?

Thanks
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Callimom is offline  
#12 of 13 Old 03-28-2010, 10:38 PM
 
mom2ponygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
Did you move from Challenge Math to the Art of Problem Solving Basics Book? Is that what you meant for the Intro Levels book?

Thanks
Karen
The Intro level books are: Intro to Algebra, Intro to Number Theory, Intro to Counting and Probability, and Intro to Geometry. Dd has done all of them in that order, currently finishing the geometry one.

You could go straight from pre-algebra to Intro to Algebra. If you've done Algebra I already or the first 9 chapters of Intro to Algebra, you would be ready for any of the other Intro books.

The Intro to Problem Solving books are really stand alones. They cover similar topics to the above books but in less depth. The first one would have a lot of topics that would be accessible after pre-algebra, but some topics would probably be better to wait until after Algebra 1.

Another book I've heard recommended is Algebra the Easy way (by Downing maybe?) It is is story format.
mom2ponygirl is offline  
#13 of 13 Old 03-28-2010, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter
 
Callimom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3,000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ponygirl View Post
The Intro level books are: Intro to Algebra, Intro to Number Theory, Intro to Counting and Probability, and Intro to Geometry. Dd has done all of them in that order, currently finishing the geometry one.

You could go straight from pre-algebra to Intro to Algebra. If you've done Algebra I already or the first 9 chapters of Intro to Algebra, you would be ready for any of the other Intro books.

The Intro to Problem Solving books are really stand alones. They cover similar topics to the above books but in less depth. The first one would have a lot of topics that would be accessible after pre-algebra, but some topics would probably be better to wait until after Algebra 1.

Another book I've heard recommended is Algebra the Easy way (by Downing maybe?) It is is story format.
Thanks for your help!
Karen

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Callimom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off