Forum Jump: 

#121 of 217 Old 04-29-2010, 09:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
plans for summer stuff?
For spring and summer we get out as much as possible. Right now we take a 2-hour nature hike every morning, and preferably again in the afternoon, weather and chores permitting. We have a mourning dove nest that we check every day, and this mourning dove nests all summer, which is fun. We have some woods and wildlands right behind where we live, so that's a lot of our exploration. Today we met a marmot twice and saw two golden eagles flying. We plant wildflower seeds in the spring (ala the book Miss Rumphius). We grow our own small garden, do some berry picking, do some canning. We have a heated swimming pool, so every afternoon in the summer we'll probably hit the pool. We grill out. We go to lots of nature parks and flower gardens. We pick wild blackberries. We play freeze-tag and frisbee. We are hoping to do some boating this summer since dd is finally old enough to enjoy it. We go to the beach. We run and run and run. I LOVE summer. I can't wait for our garden to start growing! We are currently working through our Beatrix Potter collection, so we'll probably keep doing that, and add on lots of summer books. I'm considering getting some nature story books from Yesterday's classics but haven't done so yet--maybe Fall.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#122 of 217 Old 04-29-2010, 11:41 PM

A 2- hour nature hike - what a fun routine!

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#123 of 217 Old 04-30-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinkn View Post
A 2- hour nature hike - what a fun routine!
Not sure I could last that. How fun

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#124 of 217 Old 05-01-2010, 12:54 PM

subbing
and excited to find this thread!
#125 of 217 Old 05-03-2010, 10:12 AM

So my daughter, who's three, is starting to get the, "Are you in school yet?" questions. We're taking the school decision one year at a time. She told the dental hygienist yesterday, "No, I decided I didn't want to go." Still, I'm looking for a good, short answer that doesn't invite a conversation. What do you or your kids say?
#126 of 217 Old 05-03-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
So my daughter, who's three, is starting to get the, "Are you in school yet?" questions. We're taking the school decision one year at a time. She told the dental hygienist yesterday, "No, I decided I didn't want to go." Still, I'm looking for a good, short answer that doesn't invite a conversation. What do you or your kids say?
Yeah, we've started to get those questions as well. She goes to a homeschool resource center once a week for a few hours so I usually say "she goes to xyz center" and they don't know what it is and usually leave it alone. I'm not really ready to get into those convos yet w/strangers. It's happened already and I just get the deer in the headlights look and some random comments that can be hurtful or just plain ignorant. So for the time-being, I'm delaying answering the question . Other times I've mentioned the fact that dd has a late b-day so technically she's not even eligible for "school" till next year, when she's almost 5 (for pre-K).

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#127 of 217 Old 05-03-2010, 10:51 AM

Oh and for summer updates:

Um, I'm leaning further and further towards the unschooling side of the spectrum, I guess. I just don't enjoy doing scripted work w/dd, even though she likes it. I have tons of activity books, arts/craft supplies, and she goes to activity classes as well. But for summer, all classes are off. Her homeschool resource center is going to have a summer camp so she'll go to that.

Our plans for summer are:

Pool (just moved to an apartment), learning to swim, mommy-taught
Farmers market stuff, strawberry and blueberry picking and processing at home
Playdates and parkdates w/friends or local playgroup
Vacation to see family up North

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#128 of 217 Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 AM

Our dd has a slight special need (don't know what else to call it) and everyone, and I mean everyone, in our sn community asks if dd attends the local school assisting in the area of her dx. DD absolutely does not meet the delay requirements to attend the school so we have to tell people she doesn't attend school, not to mention our philosophy is slightly different than theirs. We usually get the deer in the headlights look upon giving our response and some strange comment usually follows. We haven't come into contact with too many people yet that [I]don't[I] underestimate dd's abilities so the comments are usually rather ignorant and frustrating. I'm concerned about some of those comments having a negative impact on dd so we usually try to avoid those convos at all costs.

I am also looking for a quick and easy response that just puts things where they need to be and be done with it but I've yet to sort that one out.

eta: subbing and loving this thread!
#129 of 217 Old 05-03-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
We get this ALL.THE.TIME

"we are homeschooling and will be untill we feel the boys are mature enough to be leaders and not followers, untill we feel they have a strong foundtaion in their faith and can be a light in the school. Children are only young once and no one answers to God for them but us." and SMILE

Note: DS1 does have an SN and an IEP and does go to ST at teh school and recieve services, but is not in the classroom --- but i don't get in to all that with people unless we are having an actually disussion.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#130 of 217 Old 05-03-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
We are getting this all the time now, too! I have told DS that if someone asks him where he goes to school, to just tell them "I go to school at home." I have explained to him that some people go to school in a building, some go to school at home. It is so normal to him, like some people wear red shoes, others wear blue.

When I get asked if DS is in school, depending on who it is I will say "Not yet." and leave it at that. I have had a few people then follow-up with, "Oh, so he starts in the fall?" Again depending on who it is, I will usually say "No, we are actually homeschooling." Then I will follow it with "We are part of a preschool co-op made up of homeschooled preschoolers that meets once a week and we go to the park, field trips, etc." Usually this satisfies them. The problem is that DS would only just be starting Pre-K this coming fall, but he looks 5, so everyone assumes he is in K. When he does reach K age, I will just proudly say, "No, we homeschool" and if they press me on it, I just plan on saying "Different things work for different families." I have committed myself to saying it with confidence, because with some people, if they sense a lack of confidence, they go for the juggular, and I am not going there! Like they have right to give me permission or something...

SAH, homeschooling mama to DS (1/06) and DD (3/07)
#131 of 217 Old 05-03-2010, 07:10 PM

We usually just say "We plan to homeschool" but DD has taken to saying "My parents choose for me not to go to school." I'm not sure why she came up with that but she generally uses it in situations where the adult is trying to "sell" school to her as in "Will you start school soon? How exciting!" So I guess it's her way of deflecting that. It sure gets some blank looks in response though Last week in her tap class the teacher started making small talk with the kids about what their colour their uniforms would be when they started school (all public schools have uniforms in this state, only Waldorfy/humanist private schools don't). Ummm, of the three kids in that class only one will actually be going to school and I'm quite sure the other hs mother has been even more upfront with the teacher than me (I've said the aforementioned "We plan to hs"). Poor DD was quite confused when I came in to change her shoes for ballet class since she knows the other boy isn't going to school either So while I was changing her shoes she and I came to the arrangement that she could choose a uniform for home-school and she tells me she wants it to be gold
Sorry for the mini-vent. Does anyone else find that even when you're upfront about the fact your DC wont go to school people just don't hear you or choose to forget? My Dad is the same. He asks every time

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#132 of 217 Old 05-03-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamapagan View Post
Does anyone else find that even when you're upfront about the fact your DC wont go to school people just don't hear you or choose to forget? My Dad is the same. He asks every time
YES! This is mine and dh's family. It's rather annoying.
#133 of 217 Old 05-04-2010, 12:49 AM

When asked I just say, "We homeschool" and if pressed say, "We love all the family time we have. Kids are only young once!" and smile really big. I try and change the subject quickly if I sense the other person getting edgy about it. I don't mind answering "real" questions about homeschooling but I'm not going to defend my choice to anybody as if the matter were up for debate. I have had people say, "Aren't you afraid she won't know her letters and numbers, etc.", in which case I respond that she's known those for a long time already and that I am far more concerned about her having a childhood than in learning to color in the lines. I always stress family time and freedom to have fun when it comes to these conversations because those really ARE the main reason we homeschool.

Oh, and I've had people forget that we homeschool too! My mother has done this several times, but they also forget that we are TV-free (and they see us multiple times per week!). I think homeschooling really messes with some people's sense of the world, for some bizarre reason.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#134 of 217 Old 05-05-2010, 07:31 PM

Oh, I love the 2 hour hikes! I can't wait for the baby to be a little older so we can hike again. She is getting to heavy for me to carry. I threw my back out carrying her the other day and it was only like 30 minutes.

FOr everyone doing K next year what are you using? I'm really stuck with J. He is already mastered most of K material, but I don't want to rush him into first....

He will be doing FIAR/unit studies with Big Sissy. That I'm sure on. Everything else is on the fence. Right now I'm thinking HOP, ETC book1-??, t4l.com for reading. Rotating through these btw not everything every day. Singapore 1a and hands on math lessons for math. I think I want handwriting????

What is everyone else using?
#135 of 217 Old 05-05-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetoo View Post
FOr everyone doing K next year what are you using? I'm really stuck with J. He is already mastered most of K material, but I don't want to rush him into first....
Suggestions for you:

Math - Miquon and Right Start are very hands on.

Handwriting Without Tears is pretty popular for writing.

ETA: We aren't using either for K next fall. I haven't decided on writing yet.
#136 of 217 Old 05-05-2010, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yesterday my son and babysittee played with shaving cream. He made sure to only get one hand dirty so he could use the other hand to turn the hose faucet on and off. She, on the other hand, needed a bath and her hair washed.

Today he wanted to color eggs. I have an extra Easter egg coloring kit so we used two of the colors. During the process I dropped half a dozen eggs. Fed 'em back to the chickens. Those cannibalistic beasts. lol. Each kid got to color 5 eggs. They had a grand time.

In our basement we have a room we call, "The Wild Room." It's filled with foam blocks my SIL made. Also a couple futons, couch cushions, foam beds, etc. There's also an old desk as big and heavy as a boat. The kids like to jump off of it onto the foam. And they're allowed to throw the balls around down there. They love the room. Lots of joyous screeching comes from there.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#137 of 217 Old 05-05-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
In our basement we have a room we call, "The Wild Room." It's filled with foam blocks my SIL made. Also a couple futons, couch cushions, foam beds, etc. There's also an old desk as big and heavy as a boat. The kids like to jump off of it onto the foam. And they're allowed to throw the balls around down there. They love the room. Lots of joyous screeching comes from there.
What a lovely room to have. Everyone should have such a room in their home.
#138 of 217 Old 05-06-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgianforti View Post
Suggestions for you:

Math - Miquon and Right Start are very hands on.

Handwriting Without Tears is pretty popular for writing.

ETA: We aren't using either for K next fall. I haven't decided on writing yet.

Right Start looks fun, but it's just to much money for us. Particularly for a K math.

I have miquon lab notes and the orange book down loaded, but it is weird.

I have singapore 1a hs guide, text, work book and extra practice. I also have McRuffy first. I think the Singapore alternated with McRuffy games, and manipulative use might be ok...... Singapore expects all the math fact memorized though and I'm not sure that is going to happen..... I also have some funtastic frog things I can supplement with and tons of manipulatives.

I think I'm a little nervous to stick him right in first grade math so young with no formal math. But then I look at the K stuff and it really looks to easy.....Maybe I should pick up McRuffy k........

I'm not sure I like the way hand writing with out tears teaches. SO many people rave about it though, maybe I should give it a try....
#139 of 217 Old 05-06-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaycrepes View Post

in our basement we have a room we call, "the wild room." it's filled with foam blocks my sil made. Also a couple futons, couch cushions, foam beds, etc. There's also an old desk as big and heavy as a boat. The kids like to jump off of it onto the foam. And they're allowed to throw the balls around down there. They love the room. Lots of joyous screeching comes from there.
lust

#140 of 217 Old 05-06-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I think I'm a little nervous to stick him right in first grade math so young with no formal math. But then I look at the K stuff and it really looks to easy.....Maybe I should pick up McRuffy k........
My big girl used this workbook back in February:

http://www.amazon.com/Reader-Rabbit-...149820&sr=8-15

It's definitely got a mix of both material and since it was "for fun", I just let her pick and choose the pages she wanted to do. It has lots of stickers and a sticker to put when you complete a section. The back cover is a certificate also and you put stickers on that until the whole thing is complete.

And yes, I thought Miquon was weird too!

What SM edition did you get?
#141 of 217 Old 05-06-2010, 10:57 AM

DD will be 4 in a few days and we're really trying to get prepared for "school" this fall just by getting her used to the schedule we'll be using in a year or two when things get more formal.

I've been looking a lot at curriculum lately to try to get a few possibilities lined up and I'm wondering what you think is weird about Miquon? Can you be more specific or compare it to something else?
Thanks!
#142 of 217 Old 05-06-2010, 11:22 AM

I'm wondering about Miquon too. I've read it's good for fast learners but have no idea why . DD is currently enjoying Singapore earlybird (nearly finished with 2A) but that wasn't planned, I just had it to peruse but she wanted to do it so I've got no idea what we'll follow it up with after 2B.

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#143 of 217 Old 05-06-2010, 12:47 PM

For me, Miquon was just intimidating because it's such a DIFFERENT approach. But people who use it think it's the most amazing math in the world! I'm not mathy so I'm not comfortable with unconventional approaches to math. Plus you need to read all sorts of books to really "get it" (Notes to Teachers, Lab Notes and the 1st Grade Diary).

But, just because I didn't like it, doesn't mean anything because I scare off easily with math.

Here are some reviews:

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/curric...ews/miquon.php

http://www.thehomeschoolmagazine.com...views/1585.php

I actually bought the 3 books mentioned above and the Orange book and C-Rods from Rainbow Resources and sent it back after a few days of playing with it. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance?? I have a very bright math student which is why I looked into it because I also heard it's good for fast learners.
#144 of 217 Old 05-06-2010, 01:20 PM

I just found it very different. I have three kids under six, one of whom is a monkey toddler. I just don't have time to read the huge manual to understand it. I might take it out next year for him, but it will be a supplement.

kgianforti: I have the SM us edition. I was looking it over yesterday, he seems fine to start it.......I guess I'm just afraid we are missing something crucial. We do play with math a lot and he LOVES Lego.....
#145 of 217 Old 05-06-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
kgianforti: I have the SM us edition. I was looking it over yesterday, he seems fine to start it.......I guess I'm just afraid we are missing something crucial. We do play with math a lot and he LOVES Lego.....
I have the US Ed for 1A as well and bought the Std Ed for 1B. I heard the HiG is much better with Standards. So I decided to make that transition as soon as possible. I bought the textbook and workbook and will start the HiG with 2a and b. I also have CWP 1 (the older version).

If you believe he's mastered most, if not all of K math concepts then he should be fine to start 1A.
#146 of 217 Old 05-06-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I have the US Ed for 1A as well and bought the Std Ed for 1B. I heard the HiG is much better with Standards. So I decided to make that transition as soon as possible. I bought the textbook and workbook and will start the HiG with 2a and b. I also have CWP 1 (the older version).

If you believe he's mastered most, if not all of K math concepts then he should be fine to start 1A.

I didn't think the guides were terrible. I also like that it isn't planned day by day. By looking it over I imagine there are things he will breeze through, then things we might spend a while on. For him at his age I like that. If he gets stuck we can stop and just play math games and work our ten tons of math manipulatives.

I was looking back over the McRuffy k and it looks cool but i don't want 160 days of k math. I was planning on doing math 2-3x a week for K not daily for one thing. Plus there were very few things he hadn't done. Plus he is a young K, I don't want him bogged down in school work. I do want to meet him at his level though.

Did this make any sense? I'm doing like am illion things right now.
#147 of 217 Old 05-06-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:

I didn't think the guides were terrible. I also like that it isn't planned day by day. By looking it over I imagine there are things he will breeze through, then things we might spend a while on. For him at his age I like that. If he gets stuck we can stop and just play math games and work our ten tons of math manipulatives.

I was looking back over the McRuffy k and it looks cool but i don't want 160 days of k math. I was planning on doing math 2-3x a week for K not daily for one thing. Plus there were very few things he hadn't done. Plus he is a young K, I don't want him bogged down in school work. I do want to meet him at his level though.

Did this make any sense? I'm doing like am illion things right now.
Yes, that makes sense!! I have a young "soon to be" K as well and she is beyond K level math. To be honest, I didn't even mean to really start HSing already, it really happened innocently. I had no idea she was going to take off like she did. No idea. And I'm saying that because I know how you feel about younger kiddos and having some "school structure".

In regards to SM 1A, we aren't doing all the chapters in it. We are skipping the counting (Ch 1) and the ordinal numbers (Ch 5, I think) and the last few chapters about weights/measures, shapes.

I need good HiGs because I'm not mathy at all. My big girl is well out of my comfort level for math. Makes me wonder how the heck I'm going to handle her when we get into upper elementary grades.
#148 of 217 Old 05-06-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, that makes sense!! I have a young "soon to be" K as well and she is beyond K level math. To be honest, I didn't even mean to really start HSing already, it really happened innocently. I had no idea she was going to take off like she did. No idea. And I'm saying that because I know how you feel about younger kiddos and having some "school structure".
J is kinda like that too. He just always wants to be older and do what the older kids are doing... He got it in his head he wanted to learn how to read this year and he has. I do try to take it slow with him though and be careful that anything "above" his age/grade level is his idea. I don't want to suck the life out of my bright inquisitive kid.

Quote:
In regards to SM 1A, we aren't doing all the chapters in it. We are skipping the counting (Ch 1) and the ordinal numbers (Ch 5, I think) and the last few chapters about weights/measures, shapes.

I need good HiGs because I'm not mathy at all. My big girl is well out of my comfort level for math. Makes me wonder how the heck I'm going to handle her when we get into upper elementary grades.
Do you have the Singapore home instructors guide? It is not daily scripted lesson plans like the McRuffy I have. However, it does seem to have a lot of game ideas and helpful hints. For J I think this format will be better. I can pick it up and put it down as i see fit. I won't feel like we are getting "behind".

I just started planning the K year and our first semester. There are definitely some easy chapters for J. I do have 1b, but I don't want him to start it. I just am not sure he has the maturity for that kind of math yet. I think I would like him to be in first grade.....

What I have planned is only one formal core subject ( reading, handwriting, and math) a day. We will keep using his work boxes, he really seems to enjoy these. One box has his journal and calender, one box will be the core subject for the day, then that leaves 2 boxes, for crafts, motor skill work, games etc. He will also do FIAR with his sister. I think this is going to work great.
There are 9 units in SM 1a. So if we do 3 a semester (3 semesters here) then he will be done by the end of the year. If he finishes early we will just keep playing games and practicing.
I haven't planned reading and handwriting quite as well, reading I just want to see progression really. Plus he could make a huge leap over the summer with reading or he could stay right where he is. To early to tell with that one. My first semester goal for handwriting is that he writes his first and last name properly (he does it now , makes letters wrong/backwards etc. typical preschool writing). Basic

Of course this is all subject to change at any time between now and the end of next year.
#149 of 217 Old 05-07-2010, 08:43 AM

meetoo- I didn't get the HiG for 1A or 1B. I figured I'll start when we get to 2A and B. Actually 1B is coming next week so if I feel I'm going to need the HiG, I'll have time to find one. So far 1A is going well without a HiG. Do you plan on using the Challenging Word Problems? I have CWP 1 (the older version). It looks really good.

As for reading, my big girl *only* reads at at K level - self taught. I'm waiting for her to have a real interest in it. She took an interest in writing last month and that just took right off. So I figured the same will happen with reading someday! I haven't planned anything really formal with writing yet as I want to see where she is in the fall.

As for above age/grade level - I agree!!
#150 of 217 Old 05-07-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
meetoo- I didn't get the HiG for 1A or 1B. I figured I'll start when we get to 2A and B. Actually 1B is coming next week so if I feel I'm going to need the HiG, I'll have time to find one. So far 1A is going well without a HiG. Do you plan on using the Challenging Word Problems? I have CWP 1 (the older version). It looks really good.
I think you need the HIG. It really has a lot of info in it. Looking at the work book pages it doesn't look to hard. But then the HIG tells what they should know/have mastered, how to teach it, extra games, mental math, etc. For example, it says that number bonds to ten should be mastered by then end of unit 2. If we follow the HIG (meaning going for mastery of the topics) it should take us all year to do 1a. He might not even be ready for 1b by the end. It expects all the facts 0-20 memorized by the end of 1a.
I really looked through all the text, work books, and HIG last night. I actually think I might, move the shapes and length chapter to somewhere in the middle. I have a feeling he will be moving to quick to add-sub with in 20. When we get to the "easy" chapters, we will be still playing lots of hands on games and focusing a lot on place value. this will give him more time (in theory ) to digest information. He also needs to learn to write and read numbers. So on the easier chapters we will focus more on those skills. J has never done any formal math though, so YMMV.

Oh, I will not be doing CWP with J next year, I might with my DD(2nd grade). I did buy the extra practice book.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page