Global Village School- anyone used it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 04-11-2010, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Location: In the mountains, under the redbuds, smelling the roses.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
www.globalvillageschool.org/k8-curriculum.html

A cool idea anyway. I like their living books approach.

om.gif

homeschooling mom to 2 pisces & 2 sag

homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 

#2 of 27 Old 04-11-2010, 07:57 PM

interesting!

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#3 of 27 Old 04-13-2010, 07:47 PM

any one?

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#4 of 27 Old 04-13-2010, 09:15 PM

watching - i've not used it but i've looked at their website several times...

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#5 of 27 Old 04-13-2010, 09:24 PM

Very interesting approach, I really like it. I would use it but we follow a similar path already.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#6 of 27 Old 04-24-2010, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just came here to post and ask and found this. Anyone have experiences?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 27 Old 04-24-2010, 12:24 PM

I am seriously considering this as well, but I would love to hear about some experiences as well. They had a booth at my Unitarian Universalist conference and a friend told me about talking with them.
I hope someone pipes in!!

Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
#8 of 27 Old 04-24-2010, 01:47 PM

Wow, I'm just checking it out--it looks fascinating & very in line with our liberal Quaker values. I would also love to hear from someone who's used it. The curriculum samples they offer are helpful for review.
#9 of 27 Old 04-25-2010, 01:45 AM

It looks really interesting. I think it would really fit our family well.
#10 of 27 Old 04-25-2010, 02:17 AM

okay since nobody here amazingly has used it i email them asking for a contact current or past family that has actually used it so i can get a feel for it,.

will keep you'll updated.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

#11 of 27 Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 PM

Awesome, thanks!

#12 of 27 Old 04-25-2010, 03:01 PM

onyxravnos - Thanks! Please do let us know what you find out. From what I could tell on their website the high school part has been in existence for awhile while it seems like the K-8 stuff is new. I'm really tempted to get it, but I'll be watching to see what you find out.
#13 of 27 Old 04-26-2010, 10:32 AM

subbing

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#14 of 27 Old 04-26-2010, 12:32 PM

wow, can't wait to hear more.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#15 of 27 Old 05-01-2010, 06:03 PM

Updates?

#16 of 27 Old 06-17-2010, 02:56 PM

Has anyone heard anything yet?

#17 of 27 Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 AM

This looks awesome, I love the whole idea of it - can't wait to find out any more info - thanks for posting this!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#18 of 27 Old 06-18-2010, 01:30 AM

#19 of 27 Old 06-18-2010, 12:51 PM

#20 of 27 Old 06-29-2010, 07:06 PM

Anybody have reviews of this from actual users yet?

#21 of 27 Old 06-30-2010, 12:21 PM

very interesting and i live like 30min from them. We are just starting homeschooling this year and I am researching the best options for us.

SAHM slinggirl.gif married to my loveblowkiss.gif we have 2 boys superhero.gifJames(5/24/05)  bouncy.gifJustin(4/5/08) and our little princessdust.gifRowan Jane 12/17/10  expecting #4 belly.gifJesse Rhys stork-boy.gif due Sept 4 2013  homeschool.gif

#22 of 27 Old 06-30-2010, 12:45 PM

Looks pretty interesting... can't wait to hear reviews if there are any!

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#23 of 27 Old 07-21-2010, 08:04 PM

It still seems as if no one has used GVS...but I wanted to mention on the thread that they're switching from the first edition to the second edition. If you order the second edition in July you get a $20 early bird discount. There's a note at the top of their K-8 curriculum page that mentions what's different between the two editions.
#24 of 27 Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 PM

lol...sorry, me again. I s/w a mom that has used the curriculum for about two months. She said that she likes it, but that it took a little bit of getting used to. She classified it mostly as a big book list with short descriptions of each book. They do have suggestions for lessons/activities, but it's not step-by-step or specific lesson plans as it were. No math curriculum included, but they do give suggestions on what you could buy.

I do have another contact that GVS gave me and I would be willing to send the family an email if anyone else is interested. I think I got the information I needed from the one contact I have. HTH!
#25 of 27 Old 06-18-2011, 01:54 PM

Has anyone used this yet?

#26 of 27 Old 06-19-2011, 02:17 AM

poking around more on other forums I got some info. although it doesn't seem like many people have used it.. It does seem to basically be a book list with a handful of activities... Which is sad because it really looked so promising. for the $$ it doesn't seem like much.

#27 of 27 Old 12-02-2012, 11:28 PM

I have just registered my children with Global Village and I love it!!! There are various different ways to use it--one is to simply order their curriculum guide. It is not a stand-alone curriculum, but a guide that lists tons of awesome books that jibe with their philosophy--earth friendly, peace-striving, diversity-supporting. Works quite well for my crunchy family. Their approach to homeschooling works well for unschoolers, eclectic homeschoolers, etc and they won't try to force you into a particular curriculum. It's just resources and subjects that you might not have thought of on your own. But then again, maybe you have :)

We registered because they will do regular portfolio reviews and generate transcripts or assessments for you. Because we live in the UAE and there have been suggestions that there may be a law passed about compulsory schooling, my husband and I just decided it would be a good idea to have paperwork proving our kids are being educated. I love their philosophy, I love their curriculum guides--I have ordered quite a few books off them (from BookDepository--they don't sell the books themselves)-- and I love that they don't try to tell me how to homeschool, since I've been doing it for a while (though they do have gentle suggestions about schedules, etc. for newbies). They also have a couple of other interesting services.

When you register with them (which is different from just ordering their curriculum guide and much more spendy) they have your kids take a "learning profile" assessment which helped me a lot. I already know how my children learn, but it made me realize some things about them that I didn't know. For example, I knew both my oldest need silence to work in, but I didn't realize that my oldest son really wants to be alone in his room when he's studying, but my daughter needs to be with people. It also reinforced my curriculum choices--my son's is much more eclectic, my daughter likes it to be organized and planned out for her.

Also, for folks who need this (I don't, but I see how it could be useful) they have a curriculum personalization service which I think does lay out step by step and subject by subject what work the child should do.

So here's the thing--if you're already homeschooling, are happy with your curriculum, you're in the US and you already have your ducks in a row as far as your state's requirements, then you probably don't need to them.

If you want an earth-friendly, crunchy, peacenik list of books divided up into subjects like "Whole Child/Literature" and "Science/Eco-Integrity" and "Citizenship/Service Learning" (as well as Math and Language Arts) then only order their guides. Their book suggestions are really great, and I wouldn't have known about a lot of them otherwise.

If you need someone to generate transcripts/ proof for you and don't mind paying for it, then you can register with them at various different levels of support. I did the least hands-on one, which is quarterly reviews of your kids' work.

If you are new to homeschooling, really like their philosophy, and need a lot of hand holding and reassurance, then go for their full package. You won't regret it because I really can see that they take school-minded folks and gently lead them to a more child-led way of seeing education.

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page