Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for reviews on a certain science book for kids. It's called Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding.

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Found...=279CT9GDNL9FW

I'm just wondering if it would be appropriate for a 5 year old. Also, I was hoping to hear about a few of the experiemnts covered. My library doesn't have it, so I can't check it out before buying.

Thanks!

-chelsea dust.gif
#2 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 11:02 AM

I just bought this. My daughter turned four in December and we'll be starting it in the fall.

http://www.pressforlearning.com/

You can get a sample lesson here. There is also a yahoo group where you can ask questions of the author.

It's laid out in four sections;

Nature of Matter

Life Science (needs to be spring/summer for this unless you live where it doesn't snow)

Physical Science

Earth and Space Science

Each lesson is it's own chapter, I think there is 41 lessons. Each chapter is several pages long although the materials and project part are only a small part of it.

It gives you objectives for each lesson, how to present it, how to ask questions etc. It's mainly for the parent/teacher, the child doesn't need to see the actual book.

I'm planning on doing the book over a minimum of two years. If it takes longer, so be it.

http://satorismiles.com/

The mom (a mothering member) from the website above also uses this program although there isn't much on her site on at the moment. I think Satori is 5+. Hopefully she'll chime in for you.
#3 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 12:57 PM

We got the book for my just-turned 5 year old. It looks really good.

I think it could be implemented now, but I'm holding off until DD shows more interest in learning about science. Just looking at the material it seems like age 7 or so (depending on the child) might be a better age, mainly because the concepts build on each other, and to me it seems the early concepts are sophisticated enough that the average 5-year-old brain isn't quite ready. They can certainly do the experiments and have fun, but I'm not sure that most would grasp the point of the experiments just yet.

I have started implementing some of the language, so that when we get more into a formal science curriculum, the basic concepts and vocabulary will already be familiar. For example, in daily conversation I've tried to use the words "category" and "organization," as in (at the store) "This aisle is the toy category. Look, the toys are organized by type: here are the dolls, and here are the craft materials."
#4 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 01:58 PM

You can join the yahoo group for more info - it looks fabulous to me and I can't wait to get it.

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#5 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
chelsmm I'm so glad you asked this. I've been wanting to know more about that book & my library doesn't carry it either! The link Limette shared is great.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#6 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 10:45 PM

Hello! I am back from my first vacation, got back a few days early.

I love this program, but I have to disclose that I've been slacking on science. I started this document to help me better plan and hopefully get to our lessons easier. I've ordered all the lessons in a sensible order and listed things that are needed for each lesson. Also a few links to BrainPop Jr and Discovery Education Streaming subscriptions if you got those...

https://docs.google.com/View?docID=0...vision=_latest

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#7 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotnetdiva View Post

I love this program, but I have to disclose that I've been slacking on science. I started this document to help me better plan and hopefully get to our lessons easier. I've ordered all the lessons in a sensible order and listed things that are needed for each lesson. Also a few links to BrainPop Jr and Discovery Education Streaming subscriptions if you got those...

You rock!
#8 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:

Thank you we are just about to order this and your reference will be sooo helpful!

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#9 of 21 Old 04-12-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:

Whoa that is so amazing! We've got the book and you totally rock.
#10 of 21 Old 04-12-2010, 11:46 AM

I like the book very much. My DD (4.5) and I have slowly embarked on it. I imagine we will work with it for the next couple years.

I'm an engineer and really appreciate the concept of the book. I feel it exists to set a good stage for solid, accurate scientific understanding later on, as kids learn details and facts of the different science disciplines. This 'intro' is light on lots of details and heavy on a good basic, fundimental understanding. It makes a lot of sense to me.

It's a well-organized but not at all scripted book. I felt more comfortable with it when I broke it down into individual lessons on index cards. I got a $1 card box and started outlining the subjects and filing them in it. The lessons can be presented in a very flexible order, too, so this lets me shuffle them if I feel like it.

So far, we go through one lesson/card worth of vocabulary and 'discussion' typically every other Sunday, and then spend the time between topics reading books and sometimes watching videos/Internet animations that are about it. I'll go to the library with a list and check out a small stack prior, and we read through them one every few days as we feel like it until it seems like time to move to the next card in the box.
#11 of 21 Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 AM

I have it. Our kids are 4.5 and 7. Although it says K-2, I really feel like our 7 yo isn't ready for a structured science program. Anyhow, right now he is taking a very relaxed nature/science class at our park district 2 days a week, so science is well covered here, and so I am holding off on this until that is finished.

So I will be using this book for a child who is beyond the age range it is supposedly written for. But having looked through it I don't think this will be a problem. I plan to use each of the chapter topics as starting points for my own mini-unit studies that I will put together. I think it can be easily adapted for older kids.

I really like the flowchart of the different areas. I copied out the flowchart so I can have a copy to hang on the kitchen cabinet and mark off each area as we cover it.

While it's not everything I want to cover about science, it's a book worth having and a great guide to make sure fundamental areas are covered in a logical order. I don't regret spending the money on it.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#12 of 21 Old 04-13-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:

i want to buy the book now just because of that! lol. great job, angela!!!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#13 of 21 Old 04-13-2010, 08:15 PM

I have it and have been working on it with my 7 year old for about a year. I am one of the very positive reviewers on Amazon.
It is a perfect match for us. We rarely do more than one lesson a week and often just a couple a month, but we truly truly love it.

It is the only curriculum I use that makes my heart skip a beat. It is beautifully done and the experiments are so easy to do, execute wonderfully and perfectly show the concept being taught.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.
#14 of 21 Old 04-13-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Oh my but this is awesome! We have the book too - we've had it for about 6 months now but haven't used it at all. It's hard for me to wrap my head around all the information in the book so this document is great and I'm hoping it helps me and DH finally do some of these experiments!

Thanks!

Unschooling mama to one 5 year old DD.
#15 of 21 Old 04-13-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmom View Post
Oh my but this is awesome! We have the book too - we've had it for about 6 months now but haven't used it at all. It's hard for me to wrap my head around all the information in the book so this document is great and I'm hoping it helps me and DH finally do some of these experiments!

Thanks!
I was reading somewhere that it helps to read the lesson and sum them up on index cards so that you aren't thumbing through the book while trying to present the info.
#16 of 21 Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Amazing !!! Thank you !!!!

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#17 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 07:17 PM

For those of you who have implemented this, I was wondering how much time is devoted per lesson? TIA!

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
#18 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 07:50 PM

At beginning of each lesson it breaks down the time spent for you.

For example;

Lesson A/B-1

Introductory discussion; 10-15mins
Recalling and noting examples; 3-5 mins per occasion
Games/Activities; 20-30 mins as desired

Lesson A-6

Part 1; 30-40 mins
Part 2; 20-30 mins
Part 3; 15-20 mins
Part 4; 25-35 mins
Part 5; 25-35 mins

So it varies. I'm planning on doing no more than one lesson a week. I'm sure some of them will take stretch out longer than that.
#19 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limette View Post
At beginning of each lesson it breaks down the time spent for you.

For example;

Lesson A/B-1

Introductory discussion; 10-15mins
Recalling and noting examples; 3-5 mins per occasion
Games/Activities; 20-30 mins as desired

Lesson A-6

Part 1; 30-40 mins
Part 2; 20-30 mins
Part 3; 15-20 mins
Part 4; 25-35 mins
Part 5; 25-35 mins

So it varies. I'm planning on doing no more than one lesson a week. I'm sure some of them will take stretch out longer than that.
Thank you! I was searching all over to try and find this answer so I really appreciate it.

**Kat**
Homeschooling her 5 year old.
#20 of 21 Old 04-18-2010, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've been looking at this and it looks great.

I've also been looking at real science 4 kids ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Physics-Leve...ref=pd_sim_b_3 )

Can't decide which to get! It is for ds,who will be 7, though my soon-5 year old will probably want to join in too...

We do loads of stuff around science, it is a big thing with us, really we want some backbone to it all, iykwim. But stuff we can use, rather than just facts and figures, if that makes sense. We probably lean more towards physics/chemistry than biology, though we do a lot of incidental stuff around biology.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#21 of 21 Old 05-03-2010, 12:34 AM

We have it, and so far, I like it quite a lot. We haven't done very many of the lessons, but we've enjoyed the ones we have worked on. At the end of each section, he provides a list of age appropriate books on the topic, usually many books. I usually plug a bunch of them into our library system's online catalog, and see what's around. So there's a great way to supplement what you present/try in the lesson that comes straight out of this text.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page