s/o: scripted cirriculum ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-21-2010, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the most comprehensive scripted cirriculum available, in your opinion?

Which one provides a very solid education?

Sonlight is SO expensive, though seemingly very, very good.

The others I have examined seem pretty "fluffy" to me. Sure, they cover the basics, but I'm looking for a lot more.

I'm an unschooler at heart, but started looking into the scripted cirriculum for a friend who is toying with the idea of homeschooling. Frankly, it seems like it might be nice to try one for a time. I'm tired!

So, which do you recommend?

Thanks!

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2010, 07:56 PM

Sonlight is not scripted IMHO. Yes, they have a guide... and may offer suggested discussion questions on occasion... but when I think scripted, I think Calvert. JMHO, though.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 04-21-2010, 11:33 PM

We paid for sonlight and while its nice as far as what is in it, I just didnt dig it and neither did my kiddos. It is literature based and to me it is too heavy for small kids we started in K the one they recommended . even though they just tell you to read a chapter a day with the books my kids really werent into it too much. the science is neat, I didnt like the "history" at all the time line stuff etc just doesnt do it for us. Hmm I like HWOT thats a nice program with it. Thats really all I have to say about it. We'll use the books later though and we still use some of the stuff since its all very useful, would I get it again more than likely no not until the later grades.

NAK

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

Old 04-22-2010, 12:41 AM

We love Sonlight. I do feel that it is providing a "solid" education. But it's not exactly scripted. The Instructor's Guide has a schedule all laid out for you, so there is no need to worry about planning. Just open and go, for the most part. They do have study guides for the books, with review questions you can ask if you want to, and that includes mapping and timeline suggestions also. But it's not what I consider "scripted", at all. You really can use the IG as a guide. I love it.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:53 PM

when i think "scripted", i imagine calvert or k12 (as an independent) would fit the bill. if you want religious, i think of abeka, BJU, etc. you could look at reviews of "complete" curricula here as well: http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/rev...lt.aspx?id=142

that should give you a good idea. hth.

ETA - you can also buy "complete" subject material & tailor it better to the individual child. for example, i buy from different publishers for all of our subjects, but the material is still "complete" and will guide me through the entire year without gaps or confusion (and it takes little to no effort for preparation on my part). i still have the flexibility to pick & choose from the the material if desired, or i can follow the scripted teacher's guide precisely. i like incorporating materials from varied publishers though, as it seems to better suit my kids, adds a lot more variety, and honestly, it is much cheaper than a boxed curricula. just a thought.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 04-22-2010, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.

I've got a lot of thinking to do.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

Old 04-23-2010, 01:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Saxon math was scripted and comprehensive, and made me want to pull my hair out.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 AM

but there are so many other math programs to choose from that are also comprehensive and have teacher manuals (or instructional dvd's) that won't make you go insane. i think every subject has a million options, it's just a matter of choosing the one that best fits the child.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

User Tag List